Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

Andrew and the mod team, do not know what to say really apart from thank you to the forum for sharing what they have

Richard, Maurice thank you too. It is the input and kind comments from you guys on the forum that spur me on to do more, may it continue

:blush:

........A few weeks ago Jeremy sent a link to the Aussies at Heilly village.......after a little morphing

post-10939-1238317188.jpg

Andy

Well deserved accolade for a fantastic thread. An answer to all those who think the Forum is in some way diminished. Even got me practising on Photoshop in preparation for being in France in May and then again in the summer. :D

Jim

Thank you Shirley and Jim

I am hoping that we all can get snap happy and share some great comparisons this year

......here is another version at Heilly

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1238324378.jpg

Missy sur Aisne then .

post-44645-1238327227.jpg

Missy1991

post-44645-1238337772.jpg

• Admin

Well done Pops-and without a safety net! Great photos, keep them coming!

Michelle

Missy sur Aisne with German officers in front of church

post-44645-1238338873.jpg

Maurice & Michelle nice pictures , would like to see more please

I have added more request comparisons on Flickr today, Ypres and the Somme, please take a look at the sets too

Andy

:rolleyes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36149499@N05/

Including this one of Guillemont village......is that corner still the same view?

post-10939-1238349785.jpg

I think this was a post war postcard of Landrecies where the Guards fought a night action 25th/26th August 1914 . Does anyone know ?

post-44645-1238497215.jpg

Landrecies 1990s

post-44645-1238497361.jpg

Braisne church 1918 and 2000

post-44645-1238614052.jpg

post-44645-1238849916.jpg

Andy

Congrats and well done. It's a fantastic thread. Thanks also to everyone for their contributions.

Might there be a spot in Chris Baker's proposed on-line Great War magazine for some these compositions?

Cheers

Chris

Maurice nice photographs of Landrecies

Chris , kind comments thank you,I hope that Chris B can get one together, don't know if he looks on here but it would be a pleasure to take part

Looking at some Somme postcard comparisons, here is one of Fricourt Bray Road Cemetery

Andy

:D

post-10939-1238770181.jpg

3 German regiments were quartered in these underground caves from September 1914 until June 1915 .

post-44645-1238849227.jpg

post-44645-1238849592.jpg

Paissy village 1917 and 1995 . Houses had a cave in their back gardens and British cavalary sheltered in them .

post-44645-1238850415.jpg

post-44645-1238850477.jpg

I am proud that a Canadian wrote a very well received book several years ago called The Accidental Tourist about walking the entire Western Front. I have never been to Europe yet am fascinated by WWI or The Great War. You can therefore imagine how fascinating I find this thread of contemporary mixed with modern photos of the same scenes generations later as it allows me to be a joyfull tourist at no cost. I suppose someone could refer to this thread in part as a virtual tour of selected western front sites and what man and nature have done to such sites. Thanks to everyone for contributing to this great thread, the moderators for wisely making this a CLASSIC THREAD and please keep up the great work!

John

Very nice again Maurice, we saw some of these caves on our travels on the Chemin, as we all can see nothing has changed....the troops must have had superb cover in the caves, I wonder what they must have been like inside , did you venture into any of them?

John, Kind comments from you guys have me enjoying posting onto this thread too

Andy

......for the brave Canadians who fought at Ypres

Reservoir Cemetery

post-10939-1238858949.jpg

Hello Mike

Not a bad comparison , thats a really early picture of the Cemetery... any idea of which year?. Have visited Corbie a few years ago, did not take any quality pictures , it is good to see it here

To add to the earlier posting ,here is a closer view of the Canadians at Reservoir

post-10939-1238877296.jpg

Hi Havrincourt

I found pic in Perth Library, early magazine called ' The Perthshire Constitutional ' not sure of the year. When back in Perth will check but I think it was taken late in the war 1917-18.

Mike

Thank you Mike, it is a nice view

I have downloaded more comparison photographs on this link , please take a look at the other sets too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36149499@N05/

It includes this view of Fricourt

Andy

post-10939-1238913989.jpg

Andy ,

Re Paissy village . It must have been a great place to shelter from the German shellfire . Yes I have been in a few of the caves . There used to be a B and B in the village and the lady owner kept furniture in her caves . One man kept chickens in his and there were some you could have got a bus in . Am looking for a PC of the school and chapel in one of the caves .

Maurice

Broodseinde , Zonnebeke.

Original postcard from Andy (Havrincourt)

Regards,

Marnik

post-11745-1239210005.jpg