Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

Hi Andy

Excellent jiggery-pokery, as usual, but would you please post the 'now' pic as I like to try and spot evidence of there ever being a track there at all. BTW, were all tracks removed for scrap or re-use?

Diane

Been a little while since I looked at this thread, quite superb. Andy I love the work that you have done here.

Andy

Mick, Diane , Andy .....thank you for your kind comments, hope to see more from others too

Dianne , here is the now picture, the tracks have gone as the road has been widened, I would think that the rails would have been scrapped - but for all we know they might be under the road surface

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1230982760.jpg

Just going back to Montfaucon, here is a panorama view from after its capture, it looks as though the Germans had built up an earth bank in front of the OP making it harder to hit, the area in front is clear today as can be seen in both then and nows

Andy

post-10939-1231068329.jpg

Andy - I have to ask. Is there a beer shortage in Yorkshire at the moment or have you all been laid off? You must have put hours into all these images, which I keep coming back to but not getting round to posting. Thought it was about time I said something. They are really really good and add so much to our 'feeling' for the time.

I am going to have a go sometime this year at the technique but don't ask me when! :unsure:

Keep up the fantastic work.

Jim

What , Beer shortage in Yorkshire :o ....it'll never happen, sorry the export has not reached Germany just yet :D

My wife tells me that I can send a reply right now, then it's back to the painting. Thought about doing a 'then and now' of her , but not a good idea :lol:

Great to see you on here Jim, Happy New Year

Andy

Whilst in the same area, we visited Verdun...here "The trench of bayonets"

The suspect Brit is me moving in for a closer look, the bayonets have gone - wire bars entrance to the soil area, the guns are concreted in position

post-10939-1231440149.jpg

great pics , keep them coming !!!

Dave thank you. Just to go back to the Somme, here we have Thiepval

Andy

post-10939-1231623877.jpg

Hi Shirley

Still on the Somme Bouzincourt

Andy

post-10939-1231784848.jpg

Still staying on the Somme - This is the train Station in Bernafay Wood which was turned into a CCS (I think) today its the Bernafay Wood Bed and Breakfast

post-3373-1231820705.jpg

post-3373-1231820972.jpg

Hi Shirley

Still on the Somme Bouzincourt

Andy

Hi Andy,

Love the Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension comparison - thanks for posting it. I hope to get there in May to visit my gg uncle's grave. Any idea of the provenance and date of the old photo?

cheers

Steve

Hi Andy,

Love the Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension comparison - thanks for posting it. I hope to get there in May to visit my gg uncle's grave. Any idea of the provenance and date of the old photo?

cheers

Steve

I would also be interested to know the date of the original photo as my Great Uncle Major CW Howes is buried there.

Regards, Roger

Hello Steve, Roger....the Bouzincourt picture is a scan of a 1920's postcard, a nice little cemetery sitting behind the communal section been here a couple of times now, I seem to remember the villagers lock the gates at 6-30 ish so a daytime visit is best

jdajd have seen the old train station when scooting past on the road, I am told there is a nice collection of books etc inside, sounds a good spot to stay in, right in the heart of the battlefield................very nice then and now contribyution, thank you

Andy

Sorry - do not have a comparison pic .. but here's another aerial shot from the old WFA website. The original section which contained these seems to have 'gone west' ...

View looking out from T'val Wood over Mill Road, Ulster Tower and Mill Road Cem. / Schwaben Redoubt would have been off to the right of Mill Road cem.

post-1582-1231937909.jpg

Pic from same source - other stuff by me. Shows region of Ancre River cem etc with attack patterns for 12th Ri Ir Rifles and 9th R Irish Fus on July 1 1916.

post-1582-1231938314.jpg

Sorry - do not have a comparison pic .. but here's another aerial shot from the old WFA website. The original section which contained these seems to have 'gone west' ...

................................................. Does anybody know where it has gone / how to get back into it ?

thanks - Tom

I believe the originals were taken by a member of the WFA called 'Howard' ... I also believe 'Howard' was/is a member of this forum. I do remember talking to him about them at one time and that's why I always credit them to first appearing on the WFA site. It was a wonderful selection of pics.

Perhaps someone with 'cross-over' influence to the new WFA forum could make enquiries?

Des

Hello Des

Yes these were fantastic aerial views of the Somme battlefield, surely not lost to us. I hope that they can be reposted on the new WFA site. I like your Beaucourt assault aerial, thank you to all

Bouzincourt is a nice Cemetery, as so many on the Somme. Here is an aerial of the area too, the yellow line shows its location, Thanks to the CWGC for the text

Andy

post-10939-1232036662.jpg

Outstanding thread! Thanks for the photos, keep them coming please! I plan on getting to Europe next year, so I'm getting some great ideas for places to visit! Take care and God bless! :rolleyes:

Thank you. Was going to post more Somme pictures this morning, but found time to play with somemore of the French link pictures....

The German name of the mountain top tunnel bunker was called the Winkle Rock...later the Rats Fortress......it sat on the Hartmannswillerkopf or Au Vieil Armand as the French call it

Today the memorial to the French 152nd Inf Rgt is placed into the rock

post-10939-1232184348.jpg

Set in the Vosges mountain area, 1000's died here fighting in terrible winter conditions

post-10939-1232184667.jpg