Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs

Guest Stoner

I have no idea of quite how long I have sat here, admiring all the great pictures.

Now I am disappointed that I have come to the end of them!

Please post more...........

Bruce

grandravine.jpg

Grand Ravine, Havrincourt, France 26th Nov 2006

The cemetery contains 139 First World War burials, 11 of them unidentified.

This is one of these threads which pops up at irregular intervals on the forum. I can only say that it is a thread where one can spend a lot of time - you can admire the pictures, wonder at the weather and be envious of and happy for someone at the same time.

Envious that I didn't take the picture .. and happy that someone did capture 'that' moment so well.

It's been said before , worthy of a book. Or maybe even a 're-threading' with all the pictures and simple captions, dates and the photographer's feelings about the subject and their picture.

Des, you hit the mark. A book. Any one willing?

Kim

Des, you hit the mark. A book. Any one willing?

Kim

You can now self-publish quite easily. I've used a site in the US called Lulu

Silly name, but the product is good. I've published a few photo books via them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to Vimy Ridge in France in 98. But on the laptop dont have any of the pics..

However I wook these two last year in Ottawa at the National War memorial.

ott1.jpg

ott2.jpg

The tomb of the unkonown soldier shown below, was an unknown taken from the Vimy Ridge cemetary itself.

ott3.jpg

Here is mine........The small cemetry above Ypres town walls

Can there be a more peaceful spot?

I spent an hour there sitting on the grass looking out over the water......Just thinking

post-7839-1166127835.jpg

I'm not a photographer, but I quite like this one I took in the Summer of the new memorial to the Leeds Pals and Leeds Rifles. This is outside the main Art Gallery on the Headrow.

post-13441-1166133166.jpg

Cheers

Dave

I have been to Vimy Ridge in France in 98. But on the laptop dont have any of the pics..

However I wook these two last year in Ottawa at the National War memorial.

ott1.jpg

ott2.jpg

The tomb of the unkonown soldier shown below, was an unknown taken from the Vimy Ridge cemetary itself.

ott3.jpg

You might like to know that the Canadian Unknown Warrior was taken from Cabaret Rouge CWGC cemetery. Where once was an "unknown Canadian" headstone is now one of the usual CWGC headstones, but engraved with the story of the unknown, in English and French.

Cabaret Rouge was such a favourite of the Head of the IWGC that he asked that his ashes should be scattered there after his death. There is a plaque to that effect at the entrance. There is also a newer addition....explaining that his wife is there too!

Bruce

Hi, new to this thread so please excuse if the photo is not on-topic enough

Dunscore church, Kirkcudbrightshire - final resting place of Pte William J Charteris, Cameron Highlanders (see next post).........................plus 2 others from WW1

post-16685-1166135502.jpg

Pte J Charteris in Dunscore (see previous photo)

according to a very elderly resident - "Charteris? - aye, they're all gone"

But this one is not quite forgotten

post-16685-1166135812.jpg

You can now self-publish quite easily. I've used a site in the US called Lulu

Silly name, but the product is good. I've published a few photo books via them.

Great link! Never heard of this before.

Thanks

Roel

My favourite photo is 1 I took on my first ever visit to the Somme and the Front. My wife,Baby son and I were at Villers Brettoneux for dawn on ANZAC day 1987. I have been there many times since for dawn on the 25th of April (and not the nearest sunday when the service is usually held. Allthough I have attended those too. ) I have never seen another dawn like that one.

post-13272-1166187391.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Going through my old pics I came across these.In 1989 together with a mate I visited the Gallipoli peninsula. There wasnt the mass invasion that you get today . On the evening of the 24th of April we sat with a few others in the Ariburnu cemetery at ANZAC cove. We were not expecting one of those oft mentioned sunsets, but thats just what we got. I have never forgotten it and I have never been back.....

post-13272-1167833813.jpgpost-13272-1167833846.jpg

I have attempted to take photographs of the glass in the South African Memorial,Delville Wood several times, never sucessfully. The glass, and the bronzes, are superb.

post-4232-1167984021.jpg

regards

Geoff