Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own cameron Highlanders

ianmccallum

Hi Ian

Would you mind having a look to see if Private Anthony Button 3297 4th Bn Cameron Highlanders is mentioned at all please? He was killed in action on 26th September 1915 at the Battle of Loos. Not a Scottish lad, but orginated from the Sheffield area.

Thanks

Jacky

QUOTE (jacky-b @ Dec 4 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ian

Would you mind having a look to see if Private Anthony Button 3297 4th Bn Cameron Highlanders is mentioned at all please? He was killed in action on 26th September 1915 at the Battle of Loos. Not a Scottish lad, but orginated from the Sheffield area.

Thanks

Jacky

Hi Jacky

I have masses of info on the 4th Camerons. If you have any questions just give me a shout.

Patrick

Hi

For all of you looking for 4th bn info, unfortunatly I do not thinink that the fort george museum holds copies of the 4th bn war diarys.

phone first and check.

They do have a book about the cameron hldrs which records the history of the 4th (the same as on several posts on this site and their sad finish as a fighting unit. certainaly ina all acounts a fealing of great injustice done to them by the higher ups).

My own great uncle passed through the 4 th at etaples in 1916 on the way to the 6th bn, (formaly Lovat scouts).

Hi

For all of you looking for 4th bn info, unfortunatly I do not thinink that the fort george museum holds copies of the 4th bn war diarys.

phone first and check.

They do have a book about the cameron hldrs which records the history of the 4th (the same as on several posts on this site and their sad finish as a fighting unit. certainaly ina all acounts a fealing of great injustice done to them by the higher ups).

My own great uncle passed through the 4 th at etaples in 1916 on the way to the 6th bn, (formaly Lovat scouts).

I am also not sure if Fort George have the 4th Batt War Diaries. I do have them however and am happy to do look-ups for anyone

All the best

Patrick

Hello Sue

Do you have any other info: Was he killed or wounded and importantly when. The 1st Bn lost thousands of men over the Great War period so some incling of a date would be a great help.

Ian

Hi Ian

I've been searching for a man mentioned on a war memorial in Newhaven, on the north of Edinburgh. The memorial simply says "A.P. Crawford, C.H."

I came across one item that suggested that Pte 7049, Alexander Crawford, 1st QOCH, KIA 14/09/1914, may have had a middle initial beginning with "P", however I can't confirm this for certain. I wondered if the magazine might list him and confirm whether or not he was A.P. Crawford.

Regards

LIT

Hi Lit

Yes! The man is listed as 7049 Pte. A. P. Crawford, Died of Wounds 14 Sept 14. From 1 Bn. Diary: 14 Sept. Moved at 0530hrs, Battle of Asine. Major Maitland and Capt Horne killed. Several other officers missing and wounded. Heavy casualties 3 or 4 miles.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Do you have any information on 5478 Pte Robert Black? He enlisted in 1900. I know he served with the 1st and 2nd Battalions and was wounded in 1914 and 1916. He was also awarded two Good Conduct Stripes and Marksman's badge.

Any help, information or photo's would be great. I have a copy of his MIC and also what remains of his service history from Ancestry.

Many thanks for your time,

Stewart

Hello,

Do you have any information on 5478 Pte Robert Black? He enlisted in 1900. I know he served with the 1st and 2nd Battalions and was wounded in 1914 and 1916. He was also awarded two Good Conduct Stripes and Marksman's badge.

Any help, information or photo's would be great. I have a copy of his MIC and also what remains of his service history from Ancestry.

Many thanks for your time,

Stewart

Hi

A bit of a mixed bag iam afraid. Your man is on a list of soldiers wounded on or around 14 Sept 14. He recieved a gunshot wound (slight) to his right forearm. He next appears in a list of soldiers wounded between mid May and mid July 16, but no details of the wound.

Ian

hi ian, would appreciate if when you have time could you look for any info on a relative of mine , his name is = private s/22793 ,robert kyle of the 1st battalion, cameron highlanders, he was killed on 17/10/1918, and is in commemorated in the vaux-andigny british cemetry, many thanks james

Hello Ian,

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for taking the time to look. If you ever come across any other information, i would be keen to know.

Many thanks once agin,

Stewart

• 11 months later...

Hello,

If you are still willing to do lookups, could you check for anything on Pte Neil McLauchlan S/14065 1st Bn. CWGC records his date of death as 27 Jan 1915, and he is memorialized on the Le Touret Memorial.

Thanks

Hi Ian,

If you're offer for look-ups is still open, I wonder if you check for this chap for me please?:

Private 223138 John Paterson Young, 11th Battalion Cameron Highlanders; died from concussion 7th May 1919, buried in Ascq Communal Cemetery, France. I have the war diary for May 1919 but there is no mention of any casualties for the month (unless of course he was injured before May).

Many thanks and best regards

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Ian: hope you're still on the Forum. Do you have anything in the magazines on Donald MacDonald from Claddach Baleshare in North Uist. He was in the Camerons Volunteer Militia on the island. It became 3rd Reserve Battalion in 1908 but I don't know if he was still serving. He did join 7th Battalion, was wounded at the Somme and was transferred possibly to Labour Corps attached to West Ridings. He was the famous Gaelic bard Domnhull Ruadh Choruna. He died in 1967. His father was donald, his mother was Flora Ferguson. Yours, Antony

• 5 months later...

Hello Sgt/Major

Your man is listed in the Killed in Action list for 1st Bn. "14065 Pte. N. McLachlan (New Army) 25th - 27th January 1915." According to the diary extracts published in the magazine; The battalion was resting on Annequin on 24th January. 25th Jan. Moved back to Cuinchy under sudden orders (2 Miles), to support the Scots Guards, who had been attacked, "C" and "D" companies in front line. "A" and "B" in support. 26th Jan. Lieut. Methuen wounded. Other casualties for 25th and 26th,....15 Killed, 32 wounded and 3 missing. Relieved after dark and marched to Beuvry.

Hope this helps.

Ian

[sorry Steve

No sign of your man. I went back through the wounded list to July 1918.

Ian

Hello Antony

I need a bit more to identify him. Too many Donald MacDonalds' Do you know his regimental number. Unfortunately the wounded lists were not published by battalion.

Ian

Guest vicbitter57

Hi Ian,

Just found this site, excellent stuff as its a bit difficult researching my grandad for Australia :unsure:. My Grandad was Donald Stewart S/13929 of the cameron highlanders. He was wounded in France I believe (info from family, but may be incorrect) at Arras while helping with a stretcher. We have tried looking for his records but were told they were destroyed. I have his medals card though and it lists him as landing in France on the 8th July 1915. Any info from the books would be great, Regards Martin Stewart

Hi Martin

He is on the casualty lists of those wounded over 23-28 April 1917. No other details I am afraid. By this stage of the war the wounded lists don't even give the man's battalion.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Was wondering if your source has information about 5th Cameron Highlanders on 20 - 26 October 1918?

Kind regards and thanks,

Jef

Guest vicbitter57

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that every bit help to piece it together, I'll do some research on that period and see what battles happened then. I believe he was in the 7th Battalion but cannot be sure. After he recovered he joined the (Royal Highlanders?) Highland Cyclist Battalion as S/23471 and was based in Ireland, probably due to his health not being 100%. I tried enclose a pic of him in his "gear" but system kept knocking the file back?. Thanks again, regards Martin

Hi Ian,

Could you please tell me if you have anything on Private James Ruddy, S/20288, 5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders? He died on 17 Aug 1916, and may possibly be listed as Maurice William O'Connor.

Many thanks.

Sorry Jeff

The last mag I have is the October 1918 issue.

Ian