Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own cameron Highlanders

ianmccallum

Hello Ian,

I am wondering if I might trouble you to look for a certain 5166 Pte. James KIDD who served with the 2nd Cameron Highlanders. He was a regular from Dundee who joined in 1900 and retired in 1921. I have a number of items relating to him.

Many thanks

Owain.

Hello Owain

I've had a look through the casualty lists for your man but there is no sign of him. Are you sure he was with the 2 battalion throughout his service? If he was, it was fairly unusual, even in peace time a man would have expected to have been crossposted between battalions over the course of twenty odd years service. I suggest you contact Ft. George to see what they have on him. There may be a short biography of his service in the magazine around the time he was discharged.

Ian

Hello Ian,

You have generously offered to look at the Regimental Magazines to see if you can provide information on members of the regiment and your responses so far are testimony not only to your own diligence but also to that of the compliers of the magazines so many years ago.

I am wondering if you might have any information on Herbert Cawthra (200755 4th Battalion but merged into 1st Battalion) who was reported missing on 3rd September 1916 in the action at Pozieres in the Somme. I have copies of the Battalion diary for September so I am aware of what was happening at the time. He is buried in a named grave at Caterpillar Valley but it appears that he was missing for quite a period as, as a forum member has recently pointed out in response to an earlier posting of mine, he was allocated a new Regimental Number which would have been in 1917 indicating that he had not been reported found at that time.

I am researching all the Cawthras in the Great War and I am in touch with two of his grandchildren and they and I am a bit mystified over the fact that he must have been found subsequently (we presume) in order to be placed in a named grave. I just wonder if there is anything in the magazine that might give some further information about him.

No hurry - this is a long term project for me!

David Cawthra

Ian,

Some further information has come to light following a visit to Herbert's grave by his two grandsons last week. After visiting Herbert Cawthra's grave at Caterpillar Valley they also visited the Thiepval Memorial and found the name Herbert Cowthra inscribed on the memorial. When they examined the Register they found an entry for Herbert Cowthr, which had the same Regimental No. as that of Herbert Cawthra ( as in all the records and on the grave at Caterpillar Valley). There is no Herbert Cowthra or Cowthr on the CWHC Roll of Honour. It seems possible that if there is any mention of him in the documents you have it may refer to him as Cowthra.

Regards,

David Cawthra

Hello Ian,

I am a newcomer to forums so I hope this request reaches you. I have tried twice already but without success - probably got something wrong!

My great-uncle, Pvt. Alexander Ponton, No 6132, 1st Bn., Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, was killed in action on 22nd Oct 1914 in "France/Flanders". It would much appreciated if you could look up in the regiment magazine where the battalion was on 22nd Oct 1914 and what action was taking place and let me know the result.

Best regards and thanks,

NZ Brown.

Hello Ian,

I am a newcomer to forums so I hope this request reaches you. I have tried twice already but without success - probably got something wrong!

My great-uncle, Pvt. Alexander Ponton, No 6132, 1st Bn., Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, was killed in action on 22nd Oct 1914 in "France/Flanders". It would much appreciated if you could look up in the regiment magazine where the battalion was on 22nd Oct 1914 and what action was taking place and let me know the result.

Best regards and thanks,

NZ Brown.

Ian McC. I hope you dont mind my butting in on you thread

NZ Brown.

On Thursday the 22nd October 1914 the 1st Bn Cameron were taking part in the Battle of Langemark, between Oct 21st and 22nd the casualties numbered 76 killed and died of wounds. And 47 wounded.

Cheers Rob.

Hello Rod

He died 100115 of Scarlet Fever following measles. At the time the battalion was training in Bedford, England.

Ian

These are the figures for the casualties in the Scots while they were at Bedford:

UNIT ---------------MEASLES CASES--- DEATHS

4th QOCH ----------------141-------------- 26

7th / 8th ASH ------------101-------------- 14

4th RGA -------------------51---------------14

4th/5th/6th/7th

Gordon Highlanders------ 45-------------- 38

4th Seaforths -------------26--------------- 2

5th Seaforths------------- 30 --------------20

6th Seaforths -------------19 --------------11

RAMC Lovat Scouts -------3 ---------------11

TOTALS ------------------416------------- 136

souce: Tables held in Bedford Scots Society Records.

Is there any chance that the other QOCH are listed in the volumes you have, I think forum member "Piper" might be interested.

Hi NZ Brown.

Not sure where your previous requests have gone but here's what's in the magazine. 6132 Pte A Ponton reported missing (killed in action) between 22-24 October. The battalion had moved north by train from Vendresse on 17 October. By 19 they passed Calais and St. Omar, arrived Hazebrouck about 0800hrs and detrained. Went into billets north of the railway. 20 October, 0850hrs marched via Steenvoorde and Abeele to Poperinghe in Belgium (13 miles) and into billets. 21 October, Marched out of Poperinghe about 0515hrs via Elverdinghe, Boesinghe, and Pilkem to an inn at the cross roads between Bixschoete and Langemarck (10 miles). Got in touch with the enemy and entrenched. 22 October, Fight! Killed Lt. Sprott. Many other casualties. 23 October, Continuation of fight. 23 October, Relieved in trenches early in the morning by Queen's Royal West Surrey and retired to a position of support 1 mile south of the inn at the cross roads. Hope this helps to build a picture.

Ian

Hi NZ Brown.

Not sure where your previous requests have gone but here's what's in the magazine. 6132 Pte A Ponton reported missing (killed in action) between 22-24 October. The battalion had moved north by train from Vendresse on 17 October. By 19 they passed Calais and St. Omar, arrived Hazebrouck about 0800hrs and detrained. Went into billets north of the railway. 20 October, 0850hrs marched via Steenvoorde and Abeele to Poperinghe in Belgium (13 miles) and into billets. 21 October, Marched out of Poperinghe about 0515hrs via Elverdinghe, Boesinghe, and Pilkem to an inn at the cross roads between Bixschoete and Langemarck (10 miles). Got in touch with the enemy and entrenched. 22 October, Fight! Killed Lt. Sprott. Many other casualties. 23 October, Continuation of fight. 23 October, Relieved in trenches early in the morning by Queen's Royal West Surrey and retired to a position of support 1 mile south of the inn at the cross roads. Hope this helps to build a picture.

Ian

Hi Ian

Just wondering if your magazines have any info on my great uncle, Lawrence (sometimes spelt as Laurence) Graeme. He was in the 1st battalion, of which he was eventually given command, as Lieutenant-Colonel, before being killed in action near Loos on 10th March 1916.

I really appreciate your offer of help to everyone.

Kind regards

Alex

Alex

I've come across a Major L.O. Graeme for which there are numerous entries but he was with the 2 Cameron Highlanders. He was Adjutant of the battalion between 1897 and 1901. He embarked probably as Second in Command of the 2 Camerons from Bombay 14 Oct 1914. Is this the man your after.

Ian

Alex

I've come across a Major L.O. Graeme for which there are numerous entries but he was with the 2 Cameron Highlanders. He was Adjutant of the battalion between 1897 and 1901. He embarked probably as Second in Command of the 2 Camerons from Bombay 14 Oct 1914. Is this the man your after.

Ian

Hi Ian

That is certainly him...Lawrence Oliphant. Adjutant, as you say, from 17th Nov 1897 to 4th June 1901 in South Africa. I have some info which I have attached (in two replies as there was not enough space!), but would love to know more if you have it. Anything at all is appreciated.

Kind regards

Alex post-42059-1229038385.jpg

Hi Alex

There is a fair bit about his death and burial details. If you send me your email address I will scan in what i have. There is also a couple of photos 1. With officers of the 1 battalion. 2. Head and shoulders of him in No1 Dress uniform.

Ian

Hi Guys

I have the original magazines covering 1914 - 1918 inclusive. The detail is amazing especially for the first eighteen months and especially for the two regular battalions. If anyone wants a look up feel free to get in touch.

Ian

Hi Ian, I am trying to find out any info on S/18502 Pte G Barry. I am given to understand that he was awarded the Mi;litary Medal, although I don't know why. What significance of the "S/" before the Regimental Number ? Any help greatly appreciated

John

Hello John

I can confirm that S/18502 Pte. G. Barrie was awarded a Military Medal. The date of the award was 28 July 1917 but unfortunately there is no citation. The "S" when relating to infantry soldier generally means "Service" i.e. one of the new Service battalions as opposed to a Regular or Territorial Force battalion. If you contact Ft. George they may be able to help you with the citation.

Ian

Hello John

I can confirm that S/18502 Pte. G. Barrie was awarded a Military Medal. The date of the award was 28 July 1917 but unfortunately there is no citation. The "S" when relating to infantry soldier generally means "Service" i.e. one of the new Service battalions as opposed to a Regular or Territorial Force battalion. If you contact Ft. George they may be able to help you with the citation.

Ian

Ian, Thank you so much. Have you the address or e mail address for Fort George. Just in case they had a citation for his award of the MM. Thank you again

John

Hi The address of the museum at Ft. George is; Queen's Own Highlanders, Regimental Museum, Ft. George, Ardersier, Inverness-shire. Sorry don't know the postcode.

Ian

Ian,

I posted a request to you on 23rd November for information on a Herbert Cawthra. Do I take it that you have been unable to find anything out in response to my query.

David Cawthra

David

I am sorry I thought I had replied to you. I am afraid there was no sign of your man in any of the casualty lists.

Ian

Ian,

You are very lucky to have this fantastic source of research in your hands. I was wondering if you could, when you have time, see if there is any information on a couple of members of the 7th Camerons that I am fortunate to have their medels in my collection?

The first is my Great Uncle, Robert Burns. S/14141. he was the last surviving member of the 7th Camerons and died in November 2000.

The others are.

Pte (A/Sjt) Malcolm King 2043. 7th Camerons. Awarded the MM and discharged 28/1/18. No service records remain, but I have a copy of the London Gazette and MIC entry for this award.

Pte John B Keiller S/22946. 7th Camerons. Awarded the MM in the field, at Simincourt 1/5/17 by the Corps Commander. Copy of London Gazette and MIC details but no remaining Service records.

I have both of these awards in my collection and would love to add to the backgrounds of King and Keiller.

Regards,

Mike

Hello Mike

I've scanned through the magazines and I am afraid I only found one reference to your men. Pte Keiller is listed along with 12 other recipients of the MM dated 18 June 1917. There is no citaion for this list it simply states For Bravery in the Field. I can't see anything at all for Pte. King. Regarding Robert Burns, as an ex Queen's Own Highlanders I remember organising some of the pipe band to visit his home on the occasion of one of his birthdays. I am sure if you contact Ft. George or Cameron barracks they will be able to give you chapter and verse on his career.

Ian

Hi Ian

Do you have anything on a Pte John Munro # 15971 'C' coy 6th Cameron H'

Attchd 45th trench Mortar battery died 27/6/1916 buried Vermelles British cemy

Also Alfred W MacGregor L/Cpl # S/11667 5th Bn Cameron H'

died 25/9/1917 Loos Memorial

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

Pte Munro gets a mention in the October 1916 magazine 1st Casualty List as killed in Action on 27 June 1916. Unfortunately there were no battalion notes produced covering the date. There is no sign of L/Cpl. A. MacGregor at all. I covered the magazines between September 1917 and June 1918 without success. There are about 15 MacGregors listed but no sign of your man.

Ian