Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own cameron Highlanders

ianmccallum

Private James Ruddy, S/20288, 5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders, died of wounds on 17 Aug 1916, at No 18 Casualty Clearing Station at Lapugnoy.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Was wondering if your source has information about 5th Cameron Highlanders on 20 - 26 October 1918?

Kind regards and thanks,

Jef

Jef The 5th Bn was located at the River Lys area of Flanders from the 14th till 26th October 1918. "Including the last active service operation of the Battalion in the war took place on the night of the 25th October"

Aye Rob

Sorry. No sign of any O'Connor with the 5th Bn.

Ian

Sorry. No sign of any O'Connor with the 5th Bn.

Ian

Thanks for looking, Ian. Unfortunately O'Connor's name is on Ruddy's headstone in Lapugnoy. Have still not got any closer to sorting this problem out after 4 years!

I recently acquired the oil painting in the attached picture.I am almost sure he is a Cameron Highlander`s major, but may not have served in WW1 ( for which I apologise if that is the case )

The painting is signed by Will Longstaff who I understand was a well known WW1 Australian war artist adn if anyone has any idea who the subject might be I would be very pleased to hear.

Thanks in advance

P.B.

DSCF3472.jpg

Hi

Couldn't say who he is but the kilt looks like an attempt at Cameron of Erracht tartan. The man is a major but the uniform jacket is late WW1 if not even later. No medal ribbons. Unfortunately, all Highland Regiment's uniforms changed very little and it could really be any period from 1920 until now. The Liverpool Scottish were affiliated to the Cameron Highlanders.

ian

Thanks Ian but the Liverpool Scottish wore Forbes tartan kilts and had red,white and blue dicing on their glengarries,so it is nothing to do with them.

P.B.

Hi Ian,

I wonder if you could look up a relative for me please.

SGT, Thomas WHELAN, 6236, 1st Btn Cameron Highlanders.

He is listed at CWGC as dying 22 October 1914, buried in Yrpes.

SWNM has his date of death as 24 October 1914.

Is their any information on his death and cause. Any other information would be well appreciated.

cheers

Hi Ian,

I wonder if you could look up a relative for me please.

SGT, Thomas WHELAN, 6236, 1st Btn Cameron Highlanders.

He is listed at CWGC as dying 22 October 1914, buried in Yrpes.

SWNM has his date of death as 24 October 1914.

Is their any information on his death and cause. Any other information would be well appreciated.

cheers

SDGW also has him KIA on the 24th October. 1914.

Aye Rob

Hi Rob

Sgt Whelan is included on a casualty list of 1st Bn. Cameron Highlanders published in the January 1915 edition of the magazine. His date of death is noted as 24th October 1914 Killed in Action. Accorfing to the 1st Bn notes, the battalion arrived at Poperinghe on 20th October and the next day marched via Elverdinghe, Boesinghe and Pilkem to an inn at the crossroads between Bixschoote and Langemarck. There they got in touch with the enemy and entrenched. On 22nd October (Fight) Lt Sprot killed with many other casualties. 23rd October, fight continued. 24th October, relieved in trenches early in the morning and retired to a position of support about one mile south of the inn at the crossroads. The next day they marched back 7 miles to Zillebeke and into billets. Difficult to say which of the two dates are correct. The 22nd seems the more likely with his death date being recorded on the day the list was made up ie. 24th October.

Hi Ian. You could well be correct with the listing date. The listing I have is for the 21st-22nd October not counting Officers 76 KIA or DOW 47 others wounded..*NOTE "And taking their share in the fighting on the 23rd as well" The Camerons were relieved early on the 24th in the firing line by THE QUEENS and went into support to the south There they were still under unaimed fire both rifle and artillery. So in all liklihood they were still taking casualties up untill the 24th.But

as you said Ian "Difficult to say which of the dates are correct"

Aye Rob.

EDITED.

Sgt Whelan Is recorded on the Cameron Honour Roll with the date 24th October 1914. So who is to say what date is correct..

Jef The 5th Bn was located at the River Lys area of Flanders from the 14th till 26th October 1918. "Including the last active service operation of the Battalion in the war took place on the night of the 25th October"

Aye Rob

Thank you Rob, sent you an answer on your PM

jef

• 4 months later...

Hi Ian,

I'm trying to find some info for my mum regarding her grandfather, Private 23230 James Burnett who was in the 5th Cameron Highlanders. He was wounded on the 3rd May 1917 (?) and I was wanting to know where the Battalion was at that time - was it Scarpe? To confuse matters, one casualty form (B103) was completed by someone from the 3rd Camerons. If the magazine sheds any light on the situation, that would be great, thanks.

Kind regards,

Ewan

• 1 month later...

Hi Ewan

Sorry its taken some time to get back to you. Not sure exactly what the roll of 5th Camerons was on 3rd May 1917 but they were part of 26th Brigade, 9th (Scottish) Division who attacked Greenland HIll near Gavrelle on 3rd May. Contact the Regimental HQ at Fort George and they will send you a copy of their war diary covering the date. Regarding the entry by the 3rd Camerons. When a man became a casualty for whatever reason and was unavailable for service with his own battalion, he was taken onto the strength of a Reserve battalion. In this case the 3rd (Reserve) battalion Cameron Highlanders based at this time at Invergordon, north of Inverness. In November the 3rd Reserve battalion moved to Birr in Ireland.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm trying to find some info for my mum regarding her grandfather, Private 23230 James Burnett who was in the 5th Cameron Highlanders. He was wounded on the 3rd May 1917 (?) and I was wanting to know where the Battalion was at that time - was it Scarpe? To confuse matters, one casualty form (B103) was completed by someone from the 3rd Camerons. If the magazine sheds any light on the situation, that would be great, thanks.

Kind regards,

Ewan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

If your offer of a look-up is still open, I wonder if you could find out about my Father, 17890 Pte W. McLellan(d), (Cameron Highlanders)his WW1 medal card indicates that he went to France 5 Oct 15, but nowhere is it indicated as to which Regiment he belonged, any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Hullo,

if this is still on offer, I'd be very grateful if you unearthed any info on these two men (brothers) :

James MACKENZIE #8855, born 1892 or 1891, Corporal 1st battalion Cameron Highlanders, died 1/04/15 near Neuve-Chapelle.

Donald MACKENZIE #S/22398, born 1881, Lance corporal, 1st battalion Cameron Highlanders, died at the Somme on 3/09/16.

Cheers !

Hullo,

if this is still on offer, I'd be very grateful if you unearthed any info on these two men (brothers) :

James MACKENZIE #8855, born 1892 or 1891, Corporal 1st battalion Cameron Highlanders, died 1/04/15 near Neuve-Chapelle.

Donald MACKENZIE #S/22398, born 1881, Lance corporal, 1st battalion Cameron Highlanders, died at the Somme on 3/09/16.

Hi

According to the magazine, on 1st April 1915 the battalion were in the line manning the breastworks along the Rue du Bois having taken over the day previously from the Loyal North Lancs. Difficult to read the war diary for the time but it would appear that there was a blue on blue when a machine gun opened up from the second line killing 3 men another two men were killed by shellfire. They were relieved on 7 April and marched back to billets. During their time in the line they lost 6 killed and 6 wounded.

On 2nd September 1916 the battalion took over front line positions to the south-east of High Wood. On 3rd September the battalion attacked the German line at 1200hrs. The German position was taken with little difficulty, except on the right where the company was partially held up by machine gun fire. A counter attack subsequently compelled the battalion to retire back to its original positions. Casulaties were 9 officers and 297 other ranks.

Ian

Thank you very much for that precious info! Cheers.

Hello Ian.I wonder if you would be so kind as to look up a soldier for me. S/12155 L/Cpl Hugh Scott 5th Bn Cameron Highlanders KIA 25 September.1915. He was Born in Motherwell and resided in Uddingston. Enlisted in Glasgow.

TIA Aye Rob

Hello Rob

He is on the first casualty list issued for Loos but nothing other than No, Rank, Name and killed in action.

Ian

Ian. Thank you very much for taking the time to do the look up on Lc/Cpl Scott.

Aye Rob

Hi Rob,

You may have this already, but just in case:

The Scotsman, 26 Oct 1915, p10:

L.-Cpl. Hugh Scott, 5th (Lochiel's) Camerons, son of Mr and Mrs John Scott, Cresswell Terrace, Uddingston, was killed on 25th September. He was 26 years of age, employed with Aitken, M'Kenzie, & Clapperton, stockbrokers and chartered accountants, 2 West Regent Street, Glasgow, was a first eleven player in Uddingston Cricket Club, and enlisted immediately after the outbreak of war.

All the best,

Stuart