Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own cameron Highlanders

ianmccallum

Hi Gary

Number, Rank, Initial, Name, Died of Wounds, Date.

Ian

Hi Gary

Have you checked the ancestry website to see if there was two sets of medals issued

ian

Hi Ian,

I was wondering if you had any info on my great uncle Norman MacLeod, he was a Private in the Cameron Highlanders 7th Battalion and was killed in action on 08/07/1917. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gordon.

P.S. His Reg No. is S/23873

Hi Gordon

I am sorry I've not gotten back to you but I was having another look. I am afraid there is no sign of your G-Uncle. The magazine edition which should contain his details was used to correct hundreds of errors and to update those soldiers who had been previously reported missing. I also checked into the first editions in 1918 but still no sign. Have you contacted Ft. George, they may have some additional info for you.

Ian

Quote; "Have you checked the ancestry website to see if there was two sets of medals issued"

Hi Ian,

Checked Ancestry, and could only find James Ruddy's MIC; nothing for M W O'Connor.

Might the regimental museum be able to help with the 2 enlistment dates? I've contacted them in the past, and they told me they have J Ruddy on their files, but no O'Connor. How can he have a grave in his name if he was never in the regiment? Seems like I'm continually hitting dead ends on this one!

Gary

Hi Gary

What do you know of O'Conner outwith the military? Could you find him in the census for example? You might also try local newspapers for an obituary.

Ian

Ian,

Found O'Connor on 1901 and 1911 census's. He was born in Dorset, in Stoke-On-Trent in 1901, and Everton in 1911. As Ruddy was born and lived in Bootle all his life, it is at least possible they may have met.

As for the newspapers, I'm still trying to get to Crosby Library in Liverpool where the records are kept. Being unemployed with a back injury, it's not easy being able to go to different places; wish they were online!

Gary

[Gary

In Scotland we have what's known as the "Service Returns" in the Office of the Registrar General (Births, Deaths, Marriages and Census Returns) I don't know if there is something like it for England. Its basically a death register of all Scotsmen who where killed while on active service. Although the info is usually quite basic there is the odd nugget.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ian, I wonder if you could let me know if you have anything on this soldier:

Christopher Arthur Valentine

No S/21681

5th Camerons

Enlisted Glasgow probably sometime in 1916

Promoted to Corporal, then Sergeant, awarded the Military Medal (details published January 1917)

Killed in action on 3 May 1917 in the attack on Weed and Weak trenches on the western slope of Greenland hill.

Commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

Thanks

Moriaty

Hi Moriaty

I am afraid I have nothing to add to what you already have. He is included in a casualty list published in October 1917, but its only the basic details.

Ian

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys

I have the original magazines covering 1914 - 1918 inclusive. The detail is amazing especially for the first eighteen months and especially for the two regular battalions. If anyone wants a look up feel free to get in touch.

Ian

Hi Ian

I was wondering if you had anything on William Moxey 1st Battallion killed on 25 September 1914?

Dennis

Hi Dennis

William Moxley appears on a list in the January 1915 magazine. Unfortunately his name is just one in a long list of those killed over a three month period. However, I dont know if you are aware that the majority of the casualties suffered by the battalion that day (25 Sept) was when a shell landed on a cave that was being used as a base. Five officers and about thirty other ranks were killed. The Soldiers Died CD has thirty four Camerons killed on that day. The battalion were in trenches two miles west of the village of Beaulne, having arrived there from Courtonne early the previous day. Hope this helps.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ian

You were kind enough last year to check the magazine for my great grandfather in the Cameron Highlanders Regimental Magazine. Now my search has widened to the men of the whole 4th Camerons.

I was wondering if the magazines covered casualty lists from the 4th Camerons and when the men were back to the UK. I am trying to build a picture of all the men who served and if and when they were wounded.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Patrick Watt

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys

I have the original magazines covering 1914 - 1918 inclusive. The detail is amazing especially for the first eighteen months and especially for the two regular battalions. If anyone wants a look up feel free to get in touch.

Ian

Hello, Ian:

Do you have anything on a Pte. John MacMillan, 3/3514, B Company, 7th Battalion? Enlisted late 1914. KIA between 31 July and 3 August 1917. Originally from Benbecula, Outer Hebrides.

Grateful for anything. Antony.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Antony

I am sorry to say there is no sign of your man. I looked through the lists between Oct 1917 and July 1918. There is a Pte J MacMillan in an enormous list published in the July 1918 edition but its not the same reg number. There appears to be a gap in the casualty dates published in the edition which should cover the time in which your man's death would be expected. I have no idea why that is.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your efforts, Ian. Greatly appreciated. Yours, Antony

'Ian Mccallum' Aug 27 2008, 08:21 AM'

Ian

Could you check if there is any mention of Private Peter Boyle (S/15522) of the 7th Batallion Cameron Highlanders? He fell on the 25th of September 1915 at Loos. We have had an epic journey tracing a letter posted days before his death in 1915 where he is sending buttons off his jacket home to his sisters and he suggests that the men at Loos feel things are not looking good. He is buried in Philosophe Cemetery and we plan to visit next year.

Any further information of interest in the magazine would be very much appreciated. I thank you in anticipation of your assistance.

Frank

Hello Frank

Pte Peter Boyle is included in the 2nd Casualty List as Missing in Action published in the January 1916 edition. I am afraid he is simply one in a very long list. The 7 Bn Cameron Highlanders had only arrived in France a couple of months earlier and the battle of Loos was their first major engagement. They lost 14 officers and 536 O.R.s.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys

Ian

Hi Ian. i wonder if you cann find any info on this soldier that im researching.

Pvt A Shaw s25226 Dow 15/4/18 5th Batt Cameron Highlanders

Thanks

Pvt A Shaw s25226 Dow 15/4/18 5th Batt Cameron Highlanders is listed in an enormous list of casualties in the July 1918 edition. Unfortunately its only the basic details.

Ian

Hi Ian

You were kind enough to check for info on my great grandfather last year for the 4th Camerons. I have now found that he transferred to the 6th Camerons in June 1917 and was wounded apparently on 4 July 1918. Would it be possible for you to check the casualty lists for this? Probably July or August 1918.

Hope this is not too much trouble.

Kind regards

Patrick