Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own cameron Highlanders

ianmccallum

Hi Patrick

I am sorry to say there is no sign of your man in the long list of wounded in the October Edition of the magazine. This is the most likely edition in which you would expect to find him. Its the last magazine that I have. You could contact Ft. George to see if he is in the next edition.

Ian

Hi Ian

I wonder if you could have a look for my grandfather. He joined the 3rd Cameron's from the Lovat Scouts and was badly wounded at, I think, the Somme in 1916.

Pte or Acting Lance Cpl Alexander McCloy - S26538.

Many thanks.

Sorry no sign of any McCloy. You know of course that the 3 Bn. never left Scotland so he must have served with another battalion.

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for looking - very much appreciated.

I don't suppose you've any idea how to find out any more about his service abroad.

Enlisted Glasgow Jan 1915 into Lovat Scouts 2/2

=> 3rd Bn Cameron S26538

Wounded at Somme, end of active service

=> Transferred to Gordons S40647

Discharged as unfit for active service August 1920.

Needless to say his Service record doesn't exist.

Hi

Its difficult to say. Although he may have trained with the Camerons at Invergordon when he got to France he could have served with anyone if he went through one of the Base depots like Etaples. I would check with the regimental museum at Ft. George first and then Bridge of Don for the Gordons in case he went to the Gordons before he was wounded.

Ian

Thanks again Ian. His medals state Camerons, so I am assuming he was still with them when they were awarded after the war (1919?). His Discharge Cert. says Gordons (previously Camerons & Lovat Scouts) so again I assume he transferred to Gordons after the war before he was Discharged.

I've been looking at Ancestry at the surviving service records to see if I can make any association between the regimental numbers and dates to get a rough idea of when he joined the Camerons and Gordons, but haven't made too much progress so far. Do you know if anyone has attempted such a thing for the Camerons?

Sorry I don't know. However there are people on the forum who do understand army numbers. Perhaps they could help.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian

Do you have anything on your namesake, 2/Lt John McCallum, 7th (?) Cameron Highlanders? KIA 15/9/1916, buried at ADANAC Military Cemetary. Son of Duncan McCallum, Garrioch Quadrant, Glasgow.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Guys

I have the original magazines covering 1914 - 1918 inclusive. The detail is amazing especially for the first eighteen months and especially for the two regular battalions. If anyone wants a look up feel free to get in touch.

Ian

Hi Mike

2Lt. John McCallum who was killed in action on 15 September 1916, was the younger son of Mr and Mrs Duncan McCallum, 11 garroich Quadrant, Glasgow. Lt. McCallum joined the Scots Greys as a private in September 1914, and a year later was recommended for a commission. He served his apprenticeship with Mr Alexander Arthur, C.A., West Nile Street, Glasgow, and was preparing for his final C.A. examination when he enlisted. Unfortunately there was no notes from the battalion covering the period of his death. He is not on the list of 7th Bn. Officers who proceeded to the Front on 8 July 1915.

Ian

Ian.

Could you please have a look for Lieutenant ALEXANDER ELLICE. 5th Battalion Cameron's. DOW 18th October 1916, or 2nd Lieutenant. GEORGE WILLIAMSON BORTHWICK 6th Battalion Cameron's. KIA 28th June 1916. Thanks in advance.

Aye Rob.

Thanks very much, Ian, much appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike

2Lt. John McCallum who was killed in action on 15 September 1916, was the younger son of Mr and Mrs Duncan McCallum, 11 garroich Quadrant, Glasgow. Lt. McCallum joined the Scots Greys as a private in September 1914, and a year later was recommended for a commission. He served his apprenticeship with Mr Alexander Arthur, C.A., West Nile Street, Glasgow, and was preparing for his final C.A. examination when he enlisted. Unfortunately there was no notes from the battalion covering the period of his death. He is not on the list of 7th Bn. Officers who proceeded to the Front on 8 July 1915.

Ian

Hi Mike

Ian

Ian and Mike.

2nd Lieutenant John McCallum is not on the officers who served list of the 7th battalion.But he is on the Cameron Honour Roll, unfortunately it fails to mention the battalion he served with.

Aye Rob.

Rob

Thanks for that. The 7th battalion was not involved on the 15th September, but the 6th battalion was. Perhaps he was in that battalion? The CWGC gives his battalion as the 3rd, which was a training battalion in the UK.

Mike

Ian and Mike.

2nd Lieutenant John McCallum is not on the officers who served list of the 7th battalion.But he is on the Cameron Honour Roll, unfortunately it fails to mention the battalion he served with.

Aye Rob.

Mike.

Your man is listed on the Officers who served with the 6th battalion. as Lieutenant J McCallum.Joined the Battalion 6th June.1916.

Wounded 1st July.1916. Rejoined the Battalion 15th August 1916. Died 15th September 1916.

Aye Rob.

Thanks very much for clearing up that mystery, Rob. I'm grateful.

Toodlepip.

Mike

Mike.

Your man is listed on the Officers who served with the 6th battalion. as Lieutenant J McCallum.Joined the Battalion 6th June.1916.

Wounded 1st July.1916. Rejoined the Battalion 15th August 1916. Died 15th September 1916.

Aye Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

I recently picked up a 1914-15 star trio named to 15274 Pte/Cpl William W Johnson/Johnston, Cameron Highlanders. He embarked in France on 7th July 1915, and I assume that he was with the 7th battalion. I would be really interested if you had anything on him. He later served as 73627 Cpl. Tank Corps. He has two medal index cards, with different spellings.

Many thanks

Owain.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Owain.

Sorry its taken some time to get back to you I was away. All I have on the man is that he was wounded on 30 May 1916. In the magazine he is listed as Johnston. He was not on the massive list casualties for 25 September 1915.

Ian

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and i'm trying to get as much information as possible about my great uncle. What i know at the moment is the following :

Name and rank : Pte. William Scales

Service number: 200662

1st Btn Cameron Highlanders.

He apparently died on the last day of the Battle of the Selle, 25 October 1918, due to his mate being helpfull and taking his letter to be posted. Uncle William stayed behind in his billit (a farm house) and was promptly shelled into oblivion.

He is buried at Le Cateau Highland Cemetary

If there is any mention of his demise in the magazines I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,

Dave Abrahams

Hi Dave

I am sorry to say the last magazine I have is the October 1918 issue. If you contact Ft George (Regimental Museum) they should be able to help you.

Ian

Hello Ian, I wonder if you can help me trace some of my Granfathers army career with the Camerons from your mags. He enlisted 24th July 1894 George Petrie 3615, Camerons - then sergeant 2923430 Northumberland Fus.1914-15 at some point during WW1, then transferred back to the Camerons around the same time number then 62418. I know he was in France at some point during WW1, but have been told he was recruiting in the Western Isles. I think there may be a bit of fantasy in the story that he raised a battn., but seeing this string I wondered if there was any mention of the recruitment of men in the north of Scotland. Any pointers would be useful. I got the above info from Ft. George who were very helpful.

Regards

Alison

Hi Alison

His pension records exist on Ancestry.com, for his pre-war, duration of war and post war activities. He was in France from 7 May 1918 to 7 December 1918 with the Northumberland Fusiliers. He was in the General Reserve from his attestation on 12 December 1915 until he joined the Cameron Highlanders on 24 August 1917. Then on Home Service until being posted to France. He seems to have served with the 3rd Camerons which were on home service so may have been involved in recruiting leaving to join the NF on 18 December 1917. If you need me to check anything else on his service just let me know and I will send it to you in an e-mail.

All the best

Patrick Watt

Hi Alison

His pension records exist on Ancestry.com, for his pre-war, duration of war and post war activities. He was in France from 7 May 1918 to 7 December 1918 with the Northumberland Fusiliers. He was in the General Reserve from his attestation on 12 December 1915 until he joined the Cameron Highlanders on 24 August 1917. Then on Home Service until being posted to France. He seems to have served with the 3rd Camerons which were on home service so may have been involved in recruiting leaving to join the NF on 18 December 1917. If you need me to check anything else on his service just let me know and I will send it to you in an e-mail.

All the best

Patrick Watt

Hi Patrick,

Thank you so much for the info you have sent. How do I find out where in France Grandpa was sent . Will I have to trawl the Northumberland Fusiliers records as well as the Camerons? ( I wish he had told me where he had gone! He would only talk about his "fuzzy wuzzies" in SA) My mum used to say he was gassed and missing at some point during the WW1 war. but she was only a tiny babe at the time so that would be hearsay. I shall certainly download his records from Ancestry but any other info you can help with will be gratefully received.

Regards, Alison

HI patrick,

Just another daft question, - why would he have been with the Northumberland Fusiliers, when his career was with the Camerons? Would that have been because of the massive casualties in France and he was needed to make up numbers?

Regards

Alison

Hi Alison

It seems George Petrie transferred to the 36th Northumberland Fusiliers in April 1918 and they were sent to France in May 1918. They served at first as a Garrison Guard Battalion on defence construction duties. They were attached to 178 Brigade of the 59th (North Midland) Division which underwent training in July 1918 for front line duties. They took part in the Battle of Albert (21-22 August 1918) and the Final Advance in Artois and Flanders (2 October -11 November 1918).

The Long Long Trail Website will tell you more. Here is a link to the 59th Division page http://www.1914-1918.net/59div.htm

Hope this helps

Patrick