Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Negatives discovered in fireplace

Barke02

Well done everyone!

Ralph, great work on Westacott, Barkley and Tannenbaum. Anthony, that's a very detailed piece on Richard Usher - there's a full list of the King's Own in post 110. Lionboxer, I'll remember to drop the 'Royal' from the Norfolks list, thanks for pointing that out.

Allie, Christine and Dave, great work with Horace Stanley Keeys. Has any one had any luck with the other New Zealanders: Williams of the NZRB (posts 29/30), or Lance Corporal Silcock of 12th (Nelson)?

Here is 1030 Silcock.

post-32475-1216201632.gif

There's a whole heap of Williams men (including some rellies of mine - although he isn't one of mine, I don't think!), and I'd never have thought Silcock would have been such a common name.

For Silcock, there are the following possibilities, with this first one having the right rank at least.

Surname SILCOCK

Given Name Claude Alfred

Category Nominal Rolls Vol 4

Regimental Number 31542

Rank Corporal

Next of Kin Title A sen

Next of Kin Surname SILCOCK

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address Thorpe Nelson

Roll 80

Page 6

Occupation Farmer

He was in the 35th Reinforcements B Company and embarked in March of 1918 according to the Cenotaph.

Surname SILCOCK

Given Name Harold Frederick Stanley

Regimental Number 80387

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title S

Next of Kin Address Hope Nelson

Roll 88

Page 12

Occupation School-teacher

He was in the 42nd Reinforcements C Company and embarked in August of 1918. Cenotaph page here.

Surname SILCOCK

Given Name Thomas William Martin

Regimental Number 80388

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title Mrs G H

Next of Kin Relationship Wife

Next of Kin Address C/- Mrs M Eden Wakefield Nelson

Roll 88

Page 12

Occupation Accountant

Thomas was in the 42nd Reinforcements C Company, also embarking in August of 1918 according to his cenotaph page.

This last one is my pick of the bunch based on the fact that the 12th Nelsons were part of the Canterbury regiment, along with being the correct rank:

Surname SILCOCK

Given Name Philip Hugh

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 2

Regimental Number 11739

Rank Corporal

Next of Kin Title Charles

Next of Kin Address Brightwater Nelson

Roll 30

Page 8

Occupation Tailor

He was with the 12th Reinforcements Canterbury Infantry Battalion, C Company and embarked in May of 1916, as stated by the cenotaph here. He eventually made Serjeant, and died in December of 1958 at the age of 73.

Allie

I'm starting to wonder if some themes are emerging, less to do with a staging camp and more to do with Sevenoaks itself and the VAD hospitals? You would expect some of the men from the Kentish regiments to have a Sevenoaks connection, but for Evan Young (photo post 4, Royal Highlanders of Canada) to be a Sevenoaks man was a suprise. Prehaps this could explain why some regiments are represented only by a single plate. How common was it to choose which regiment you'd like to serve in, rather than automatically entering one of the county regiments?

Secondly the VAD hospitals possibly explaining the pressence of men like Cecil James Blinkhorne and Frank William Blackmore. Prehaps where there are multiple possible options trying to identify a man, it may be that having been wounded would help narrow it down?

Here is one of the VAD hospitals, Cornwall Hall (plate 1475). A quick search of the internet suggests this building still exists, and would make a great 'then and now' shot.

post-32475-1216206165.gif

Just in case the photo's match here is a photo of G K Marshall (1162) of the 60th Div Cyclists. He was also a tenor in the Onions concert party from which this photo comes.

Marshallv2.jpg

Ken

This seems to be an unusual pattern greatcoat, could this be pre-war?

City of London Yeomanry (Roughriders) 1476 name of Bligh.

post-32475-1216221717.gif

Here's another one currently in the unknown folder. This chap has a coloured stand collar and unusual horizontal sleeve insignia. The uniform looks foreign, almost Austrian, but his name dosen't sound foreign at all. Smith 1037.

post-32475-1216222158.gif

post-32475-1216222212.gif

This group are from the West Kent Yeomanry. Is that 'MG' on their forearm bagdes, and does this make them from the machine gun platoon? The seated chap in the centre appears in another plate (1170) named to Yeoman, but perhaps the photographer meant he was from the Yeomanry? I wonder if the cat means anything, or has just been raided from the studio prop box? 1329 Talbot.

post-32475-1216223235.gif

post-32475-1216223273.gif

Here are the details on the Buffs that you have. Would it be possible to post the pictures please

Stuart Wellesley Weldon

5th Buffs. Arrived in Mesopotamia 9/12/1915. Wounded at Sheik Saad in January 1916. Mentioned in despatches June 1918. Later served in Iraq after the war. Lived in Palmers Green, North London.

Ackland

No officers called Ackland, just one OR, Walter W Ackland, a New Army man of Feb 1915 who later transferred to the Labour Corps.

Franks

There were 6 men called Franks but no bandsman so unable to positively identify yet. 2 were killed in 1917. One was wounded in March 1916 and another in October 1916.

C Smith

There were 31 C Smiths so impossible to identify. The 2/5 Buffs didn’t go overseas so he may not even be in my database

Slate

There was one Slate, WJ Slate, who had also served in the Royal Fusiliers and Labour Corps.

CW Smith

There were 5 CW Smiths so another difficult ID

Mick

PS I just noticed your request on the database thread. I will work further on Weldon. Nudge me if I forget

This is a remarkable thread and fully deserves elevation to the 'Classic Threads' category.

Gould we take a peek at these in particular Jon?

King's Own Lancaster Regiment

Singleton, three officers including Capt. and Lt. 1296

unknown officer (copy photo) 1374

Singleton 1302

Thanks,

Anthony

Left: officer Ackland 1493. The apparent damage is only superficial, it's the remains of thin paper envelope the plate was in.

Right: C. Smith 2/5th Battalion 1464, 1285.

post-32475-1216288295.gif

post-32475-1216288341.gif

post-32475-1216288388.gif

Hi Anthony, here are the three from The King's Own Lancaster Regiment.

Left: Singleton 1296.

Middle: unknown 1374. Note that this is a copy photo (a photo of a photo).

Right: singleton 1302.

post-32475-1216291096.gif

post-32475-1216291135.gif

post-32475-1216291168.gif

Couldn't agree more with you Elle.

Smith in particular looks very young. Quite frightening when you think about it.

Barke02- These photo's are wonderful.

Regards,

Scott

Left: officer Ackland 1493. The apparent damage is only superficial, it's the remains of thin paper envelope the plate was in.

Right: C. Smith 2/5th Battalion 1464, 1285.

Who is the third one in that picture? The two pictures on the right are not the same lad, unless he changed uniform between snaps.

Allie

Allie, they could have been taken over a period of time (suggesting he's a local lad?) Have a look at a close up of just the face, in particular the ears and nose. What do you think?

post-32475-1216295736.gif

post-32475-1216295787.gif

I'd say that is a match - I enlarged the second face a bit so the two pics were the same size and then superimposed one on top of the other. Eyes, nose, chin and ear on left seem to fit almost perfectly.

Allie

Allie, they could have been taken over a period of time (suggesting he's a local lad?) Have a look at a close up of just the face, in particular the ears and nose. What do you think?

Look at the chin and the shape of the face too. Same chap for my money...

(Just seen Allie's reply - we're in agreement, then. :) )

Jim

Same bloke - I would say they timeframe between the 2 photos is not that great - however the poor lad has that very haunted look about him that comes through being in combat - seen the same when doing some family research

Chris

This group are from the West Kent Yeomanry. Is that 'MG' on their forearm bagdes, and does this make them from the machine gun platoon? The seated chap in the centre appears in another plate (1170) named to Yeoman, but perhaps the photographer meant he was from the Yeomanry? I wonder if the cat means anything, or has just been raided from the studio prop box? 1329 Talbot.

I think these men wear the First Class MG skill-at-arms badge. They comprise about 1/3 of the MG section if indeed that is what they are.

I also think it is the same sitter. The line in his chin, slight upwards curve on the right side of his lip and the upper point of his right ear are identical in both photos. I wonder if he made it through - having the surname Smith would make it difficult to identify him I would think.