Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Negatives discovered in fireplace

Barke02

1072, name of Collin. She appears to be wearing the type of outfit issued to drivers. Did the VAD have their own drivers, or were they supplied by another corps or department? Could the cap badge be Royal Army Service Corps?

post-32475-1216633513.gif

Have you come across anyone well known yet ?

Kent is proving to be a treasure trove , what with this archive and the Canteen Books as well !

Hi,

Yes, I would go for him being a chaplain. The collar badge looks right, as does the darker tone of the epaulette or shoulder strap. Did Chaplain to the Forces 4th Class equate to the wearing of Captains badges of rank?

Cheers,

Nigel

It would be nice if we could organise a Forum viewing day for the exhibition - perhaps a Saturday if it is open on this day. Sevenoaks not too far away for a goodly number of us?

Hello all, here at the archives we've been very busy getting the exhibition ready for the opening this Friday. The majority of the chosen images have now been mounted and we are currently working on the captions. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your hard work and excellent research, it really has elevated the exhibition to a totally new level.

I'd also like to do a caption crediting the Great War Forum and listing the names of those that have contributed. Would it be possible for for you all to post or PM me your real names? In particular Doris (dorisj), Doug (procat), Al (Mactyke), Ralph (rjaydee), Mathew (Westkent78), Tim L, Allie (Alliekiwi), Christine (Christine Liava...), Graham Stuart, Mick (Michael), Ken (KJames), Dave (Captain Dave), Chris (Chrisharley9), Julian (JulianB) and Nigel S. If I've missed anyone out please forgive me, just post your name for inclusion.

Thankyou,

Jon.

Jon,

I'm very interested in these photos from Kent based units. If you click on the links below the reason is clear -

1. East Kent Regiment (The Buffs)

2. Royal West Kent Regiment (Queen's Own)

3. Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles (E. Kent Yeomanry)

4. West Kent Yeomanry (Queen's Own)

I also have an interest in the ARMY REMOUNT SERVICE - Can you please tell me the name of the A.R.S officer? The nearest Army Remount Service Depot was at nearby PLUCKLEY. Here is a short writeup - http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/PL...UNT%20DEPOT.pdf

The Army Remount Service Officer you have appears to be a Major or Lt Col, as you may probably know each Remount Depot was commanded by a Superintendant who was normally a Major or Lt Col. It's quite possible this chap was connected in some way to PLUCKLEY. Your thoughts in this respect would be appreciated...

With regard to the Buffs men, you should get in touch with Mick Mills who I am sure will be able to provide you with more information about those local men.

Fantastic Photographs.

Neil

Webmaster http://www.kentfallen.com

Hi Neil,

That's a very interesting write-up on the ARS depot at Pluckley: the name of the ARS officer in the photograph is Mansfield. With regard to the Buffs men, I think Mick Mills may have already seen this thread, is that Mick who wrote post 184?

There is a list of the men from Kentish regiments in post 26 on page 2. The best way to examine the photographs would be to visit the exhibition, which opens today and runs until September 1st at Sevenoaks library. We have enlarged each of the chosen portraits, about 90, to A3 size (297mmx420mm), plus we've created 3 montage panels. One of the walls has been given over to the men of Kentish regiments, all of whom are on display. Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera when we were putting up the exhibition yesterday, otherwise I could have posted some pictures of the end result. I'll post some as soon as I can (useless I get beaten to it by a local forum member..!)

I hope you can get to see the exhibition as you're not too far away,

Jon.

It would be nice if we could organise a Forum viewing day for the exhibition - perhaps a Saturday if it is open on this day. Sevenoaks not too far away for a goodly number of us?

Do let us know if & when you're making a group trip to Sevenoaks Library. It would be nice to meet & thank you all.

Regards,

Rob Illingworth, Kent Libraries & Archives :D

Jonathan,

What a great find

These image's are of superb quality. Thank you for sharing them.

Regards

Chris

Hi Maggie, sorry for the delay, I've been a bit busy of late. I did recieve your pm regarding Borgest 1182 and here he is, and also the others with German sounding names.

Thanks,

Jon.

left: Blaus 1446. Right: Borgest 1182.

post-32475-1218271826.gif

post-32475-1218271873.gif

• 3 months later...

Jon,

I think the Singleton of the King's Own is 1573, Private John Robertson Singleton, 4th King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment. He was killed by a train at Slough while on guard duty on 19.11.14.

I have a slightly different photo of him but it looks like the same man.

Andy.

• 2 months later...
Essex Yeomanry

2nd.Lt. Vatali 1496, 1505, 1509

L.Cpl. Marshall 1062

L.Cpl. Cormach 1023

L.Cpl. Mase 1451

Whitby 1049

Wynn 1005

Essex Regiment

Sgt.Smart 1051

Jonathan

Sorry for being so slow in picking up this string. Of the Essex Yeomen, we can definitely identify:

2nd Lieut Ettore Francesco Egidio Vitali - yes, his father must have been Italian (the father seems to be the Egidio Vitali, wine merchant of Italian wines, who was authorised to say that he was "by appointment to the late King Edward VII" but he does not appear in the 1901 census. EFE was then 17 and a wine merchant clerk). He was commissioned in 1916 and most of his service in France seems to have been as a Railway Transport Officer.

80923 Pte Cecil William Cormack He had been transferred to 2 County of London Yeo and served with them and Machine Gun Corps overseas (120678).

There are a few possible candidates for the L Cpl Marshall, including "Smiler" Marshall who died in 2005. Perhaps if you could add a scan of the picture we could compare it to other images of him.

I don't know of any Whitby or Wynn who served with the Essex Yeomanry. The first might be 1582 Pte Clifford Tracey Whiteley who was commissioned in the RFA. I don't know of a Mase but there were men with surnames such as Male, Mayes etc

If you could post these three signatures, I could see if my reading of them differs and then we might attempt a more precise identification.

I hope this helps - albeit too late for your exhibition.

Kind regards

Ian

Glad you did bring this one back Ian. Such an amazing set of photographs. This thread is a superb example of what you enthusiasts are capable of, and presenting to us all. Phil.

G'day Jon,

Don't know how I have missed this post until now.

Wonderful stuff!!

Keep it coming

Lest We Forget.

Regards

Pop

Jon,

I think the Singleton of the King's Own is 1573, Private John Robertson Singleton, 4th King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment. He was killed by a train at Slough while on guard duty on 19.11.14.

I have a slightly different photo of him but it looks like the same man.

Andy.

Hi andy,

Is it the picture that appeared in the Barrow News shortly after his death in 1914?

I wasn't sure when I compared the photo I had as I know there were other Singletons on the 1914/15 star Medal roll (at least 3 from the 1/4th Kings Own alone).

Here's the one that appeared in the paper with the article about his death/funeral.

anthony

post-686-1234702154.jpg

Yes, that's the one. There is another of him along with three others outside their billet somewhere on the GWR - although you can't make out any recognisable facial features - just a bog-standard, poor-quality, newspaper snap of the period. I'm pretty sure that the fireplace photo discovery is him.

The only other unknown one I would have a guess at is Private Blades. Given the date and location it is probably 2372 Private Henry Dawson Blades of the 5th King's Own (he survived the war).

Since the photos originate from Sevenoaks all of the King's Own will be either 4th Bn. or 5th Bn., although I'm afraid Private Smith is likely to remain unidentified.

Best wishes.

Andy.

• 1 month later...
1155.1156 UNDERWOOD FREDERICK LEWIS medals c/o Cox and Co Bombay or VINCENT JOHN 12 The Crescent -- cannot decipher the remainder poss Rumney ? Ralph.

I have only recently come across this forum but Rumney is my mothers maiden name. Her father had 3 brothers who would have been of military age. My grandfather also served during WW1 so I may be able to identify the undecipherable name.

• 11 months later...
Dave, here's the unidentified New Zealander. 1389 Keeys.

Hello from New Zealand

The soldier in the photograph number 1389 is my great uncle, Horace Stanley KEEYS (known as Stan) No. 26856, Private 1st Battalion Auckland Infantry Regiment, New Zealand Expeditionary Force. He was wounded in action February 1917, gunshot wounds to the right leg and shoulder, shell wounds to right leg. He was classified as 'unfit' for further service due to his injuries and was discharged in 1918 when he returned to New Zealand (Dec 1918).

Thank you for making his photograph available via your website. I would be interested to know if you have any plans/intentions to publish your collection of photos etc in book form. If you have any other unidentified photographs of NZ soldiers, I'd be interested to know - as I had a number of relations who served overseas in WWI.

Kind regards

Richard Keeys