Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Negatives discovered in fireplace

Barke02

Hello from New Zealand

The soldier in the photograph number 1389 is my great uncle, Horace Stanley KEEYS (known as Stan) No. 26856, Private 1st Battalion Auckland Infantry Regiment, New Zealand Expeditionary Force. He was wounded in action February 1917, gunshot wounds to the right leg and shoulder, shell wounds to right leg. He was classified as 'unfit' for further service due to his injuries and was discharged in 1918 when he returned to New Zealand (Dec 1918).

Thank you for making his photograph available via your website. I would be interested to know if you have any plans/intentions to publish your collection of photos etc in book form. If you have any other unidentified photographs of NZ soldiers, I'd be interested to know - as I had a number of relations who served overseas in WWI.

Kind regards

Richard

This forum never ceases to amaze me.

Its a mine of information !!!!!

Tony

Richard Keeys

Further to last re: KEEYS

Stan KEEYS and his brother Len KEEYS (my grandfather - Wellington Infantry, NZ Field Arty - Gallipoli and France, WIA 3 times,gassed, kept it together and made it back to NZ 1919) came from the Kent area, Len was born in Brasted which is/was close to Seven Oaks Stan born in London...I suspect he may have been visiting relatives in Seven Oaks whilst on leave post being WIA (looks like a wound stripe on his sleeve - also he favoured his right leg/shoulder due to GSW's this appears to affect the way he is seated in the photo) I guess this would date the photo late 1917 maybe August.

Once again, thanks for allowing our family this photo after all this time.

Richard.

• 2 years later...

These are amazing photos!

To add some detail to the photo of Stanford Evan B. Young, #24194, he was an original with the 13th Battalion, C.E.F. from Montreal. As a Lance-Serjeant, he received the D.C.M. being gazetted in 1920. Young made it through the entire war with the same battalion he started with in 1914, quite a feat indeed.

• 3 years later...

BLACKMORE (1424) FRANK WILLIAM 1/1 Bucks Bn Military Cross Compton Cottage Broadbridge Heath Horshaw Sussex. MIC. Ralph.

Interestingly my grandfather 2nd.Lieutenant Frank Wesley Blackmore also lived in Compton Cottage, Broadridge Heath but served in the 3rd. (Reserve) Btn. Royal Sussex Regiment and 4th (Reserve) Btn.(The Queens) Royal West Surrey Regiments.

• 2 years later...

Rather than start a new thread, I’m curious as to whether any Forum Pals have photos from the Essenhigh Corke studio which aren’t part of the Kent libraries collection?

As part of our local plans to mark the centenary, we are looking at creating a small exhibition on the site of the old photographic studios on London Road. I’m interested to see if there is any other material that people would,be willing to share?

Thanks

Matt