Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Negatives discovered in fireplace

Barke02

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jul 12 2008, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are we sure he is RNAS? He may have a badge on his right cuff but weren`t naval wings worn on left cuff?

Phil,

You've started something now. I've just had a closer look at the capbadge and it appears to be in reverse i.e. bird looking to it's right. All other photo's I've seen have it facing to it's left.

However if this photo is inversed why is the breast badge on the left pocket as it should be???? It my well not be RNAS.

I'm starting to get a little dizzy with this one.

Jonathon,

Could we have a closer look at the breast badge please as I think it may be RFC and not RAF. Of course if it were it would only serve to confuse matters even more. Unless perhaps he is the Flying Boat Pilot and indeed RFC or RAF attached in some way to RNAS.

Al.

. Unless perhaps he is the Flying Boat Pilot and indeed RFC or RAF attached in some way to RNAS.

By definition you cannot have an RAF bloke attached to the RNAS as the RAF subsumed the RNAS

Post 53 is lovely. No idea what rank he is, but I reckon Grumpy would tell us.

BLACKMORE (1424) FRANK WILLIAM 1/1 Bucks Bn Military Cross Compton Cottage Broadbridge Heath Horshaw Sussex. MIC. Ralph.

LONDON GAZETTE no 31043 d/d 29-11-1918 2LT FRANK WILLIAM BLACKMORE BUCKS BATT OX AND BUCKS L I (ITALY) For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during a raid. He led his platoon with courage and determination although wounded early in the attack. Having had his wound bandaged, he rejoined his platoon and resumed command, successfully clearing the whole of the area allotted to him. Ralph.

By definition you cannot have an RAF bloke attached to the RNAS as the RAF subsumed the RNAS

You are correct of course, I should have said RAF attached to the RN.

Jonathon,

A shot in the dark but your KOYLI man wouldn't happen to be Joseph MacRae would it?

Al.

Hi Ralph, excellent work on Blackmore. There were three VAD hospitals/convalescent halls around Sevenoaks: St.Johns Hall, Cornwall Hall and Coombe Bank (now a school). Prehaps tht explains Blackmore's presence in the area.

Al, the KOYLI man is Lieutenant Thompson.

Here are some more that are currently lised under unknowns.

Top: 1291, 1481 the name is Young.

Bottom: 1469 the name is Snow. Could these two be RASC?

post-32475-1215886611.gif

post-32475-1215886708.gif

post-32475-1215886836.gif

Here's some more name lists:

Queen's Own Dorsetshire Yeomanry

2nd.Lt.Haywood 1142

Cpl. Marsh 1061

Smith 1057

Cowdry 1033

Pollen 1032

Winmill 1014, 1010

Withey 1012

C. Smith 1006

Wiltshire 1001

Turner 1175

Woodcock 1217

Taylor 1319

Baldoch 1432

Trethowan 1395, 1397

Trott 1432

group photo (poor quality) 1498

Volunteer Aid Detatchments

Limbrick 1024

Wilkins 1021

Thompson 1020

Collin 1072

Smith 1352

White 1206, 1292

I'd like to put this one in the Middlesex Regiment, but would like your opinions. Did many regiments have 10 battalions? 1247 the name is Furgeson.

post-32475-1215889259.gif

post-32475-1215889305.gif

1291/1481 London Scottish.

1257 Seaforth Highlanders

1231 Hampshire officer possibly.

The RN type may well be Royal Naval Division - he seems to have khaki uniform, with RN and army rank badges.

The 10th battalion chap may well be Middlesex: they had a 10th Territorial (the T in the badge), so T/10/Middlesex is very possible

Hi,

These photos are absolutely fantastic!

I'm going to throw my lot in with a suggestion that the man in post 53 is a Staff Sergeant Instructor of Gunnery, but why he is wearing an officer's pattern SD jacket and Sam Browne I cannot say.

2nd Lieut Wilson is as suggested, Hampshires.

Cheers,

Nigel

I wonder if there is a computer programme that will convert oblique views to something more easily viewed?

Great thread by the way. Just the sort of detective work that the Forum is so good at.

I'd like to add my thanks to what a great service you have provided in saving these wonderful pictures and I'm sure they will be of immense benefit to students of the Great War and its soldiers.

I'd be happy to try my modest knowledge of the MGC and the King's Liverpool on photographs you have of men in these units - particularly if named.

Julian

When the Royal Naval Division came under the command of the Army in France in 1916 they had to wear Naval and Army badges of rank.So the photo is dead right for RND circa 1916 and 1917.Naval Ranl Lieutenant = Army Captain.Bob :mellow:

Jonathon,

Can I point you in the direction of this thread ref. your Naval /RAF airman Windsor. I posted on the SHIPS AND NAVIES Section. It may be worth your while posting the Naval based photo's in this section.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;#entry959244

Al.

Quite a find there. Look forward to seeing the finished exhibit/book/cd etc.

Here's a few id's for to help you.

Queen's Own Royal West Kents

Lt.Col. Whatney 1494, 1500

Charles Norman Whatney of Ivy Hatch Court (nr Sevenoaks). He commanded 1/4th all through the war.

Capt. Waydelin 1455

Frank William Waydelin MC. Was Adjutant of 10th Bn.

2nd.Lt. Waite 1116, 1153

Charles Elvy Waite MC later Lt. Col. in the West Yorkshires, and appears to have moved to Harpenden Estate, Kapar, Selangor, Federated Malay States post war. Went overseas with 3/4th on June 1st 1917.

2nd.Lt Thompson 1119, 1120, 1124

Probably Edgar Victor Thompson of 6 Marine Parade, Folkestone.

2nd.Lt. Westacott 1232, 1233

William Alan Westacott of Turvins, Dunton Green, Sevenoaks. Also served in the RAF.

2nd.Lt. Rainer 1510 ?

officer Kennedy 1443 ?

Sgt. Whyntie 1405

G/2143 Sjt. Cyril John Whyntie, commissioned into the East Surreys and made Captain. Living at either 11b or 116 High St., Sevenoaks.

Sgt. Wilson 1244 ?

Cpl. Ryealey 1406 ?

Cpl. Martin 1265

Hard to determine as there are two Martins who served with 1/4th but neither appear to have made Cpl. There is a 1253 Cpl. Jack Martin of 1/5th who might fit the bill.

L.Cpl. Whyntie 1167

(Same as Sgt Whyntie?)

L.Cpl. H.A. Smith 1297

Given he's most likely a territorial with 1/4th I'd go for 1633 Henry A. Smith (later renumbered to 200342 and entitled to BWM and IGS with Afghanistan 1919).

Signaller H. Martin (Military Medal) copy photograph 1266 ?

Bugler Woolven 1207

23305 Benjamin Woolven, later GS/61442 Royal Fusiliers.

Yorkeston 1169

Most likely 1906 pte. Leslie N. Yorkston who served with 1/4th (later number is 200507 entitled to BWM and IGS with Afghanistan 1919).

Turner 1174 ?

Wheeler 1208 ?

Malcolm 1263 ?

A.B. Wilden 1314

240912 Cpl. Aubrey B. Wilder (later number L/13055)

C. Wills 1315 ?

Tingley 1344

Possibly Pte. William Tingley of 16 Stratford St., Tunbridge Wells. Served with 2/4th and transfered to Essex Regt. (There are a couple of other candidates but he's the front-runner).

I'd hazard a guess that the unidentified men are all locals and most will have served with either 1/4, 2/4 or 3/4.

Best regards,

Matthew

Officer on the right in 1195 appears to be Royal Engineers and probably Territorial as there seems to be no scroll below the grenade on his collar badge.

The two lads wearing the Royal Arms cap badges in 1469, I would suspect are and look like Labour Corps, as opposed to members of the Volunteer Force which wore the same badge, but had specially woven titles in their shoulder straps