Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF Diary Found !

pompeyrodney

Hi All

Sorry I have been out of circulation for a few days due to the pressures of work. I should be able to do some diary tonight though so call back soon.

Regards

Julian

60th Instalment

Friday November 24th

Having handed over my duties as BO6? I censored letters for the rest of the morning and in the afternoon the battalion went for a route march al---- were taken in hand by the Adjutant and got a lively time by the battalion and got a lively time lecture by the battalion LGC ? on the mechanism and tactical use of LS?

Saturday November 25th

Raining this morning and had a kit inspection. Pay in the afternoon. Lecture by Lt Weeks on discipline and Kings Regs.

Sunday November 26th

Owing to the wet weather Church parade was cancelled. As the Australian mail closed at noon we had any amount of letters to censor. The censorship of the outgoing mail is getting more and more strict. 2 o/c Parade of all officers and NCO’s for instruction in bayonet fighting and PT by an infernal Sergeant Major.

Monday November 27th

Lt Stevenson being crock today I am BCC. Parade 2 o/c. As a result of day leave having been granted to Amiens about 20 wasters ? are AWL and Major Mitchell who is now acting CO whilst Colonel Coulter is on leave, spoke to the battalion s—things on the subject and –ght--- --. All officers practised firing of LG on the range. Each of us fired about 30 rounds in bursts. Also a little revolver practice. Lecture on discipline and Kings Regs.

Tuesday November 28th

Orders to proceed to brigade at 9 o/c. To go to school tomorrow. Holiday today for battalion sports. Passed very well. Lecture at 7 o/c in the village school room by GSO Colonel Blamey? on mode of attack.

Wednesday November 29th

At BHQ at 8.45 to go to school. Waited till lunch time. Had lunch and then at last started off for the school at Terancourt ? where we arrived about 2.30. We are camped in an old chateau and should have a comfortable time. Len Erray Fred Gaulton of the 7th and I occupy one room. Went for a stroll into the town of Picquegay on the banks of the Somme. It is quite decent and of –st recent interest. Mess 6.30 after which the Commandant Colonel Stevens DSO (MG) roused about mess etiquette.

Thursday November 30th

Parade 9 o/c. I am in No 2 syndicate of No 1 platoon which consists of 10 officers of the 2nd Brigade. Inspection and orders read. Lecture by the Commandant. Marched on and started recruits drill from the most elementary stage possible. 10 minutes smoke in every hour. Back at 12 o/clock. Lunch at 1 o/c. Parade at 2 marching order without rifles. Introduction into adjustment of equipment and squad drill. Back at 4 o/c. Afternoon tea. Lecture by captain Denby. Dinner 6.30. Co intimated that officers will be allowed leave to Amiens and Picquegay.

Friday December 1st

Usual parade for squad drill etc. GOC division (Major General Walker) came along in the car and had a look at us. Bitterly cold this morning. Parade 2 o/c. We are getting on. Rifle exercises till we are blue in the face. The three of us went into the town and made some purchases, getting back just in time for dinner, at the conclusion of which the CO gave a lecture on Company organisation. Turned in early to keep warm. A rotten fire in the lounge.

Saturday December 2nd

Usual parade and rifle drill. Elementary musketry and PT. A very good instructor for the latter. A very good lecture at 4.30 by Captain Campbell. After dinner went for a good walk along the bridle path running along side the Somme to Picquigon shopping and home.

Sunday December 3rd

Parade 9.30 for one hour. Ceremonial drill for the satisfaction of the CO. Caught 2.30 tram to Amiens with Gauton and Len Errey. Had lunch in the Hotel du Rh— did shopping and had a good look around the City which is a very fine one. The Cathedral is a most magnificent building, the oldest and best piece of stonework outside being –-y –ic—by sandbag walls. After ------- Dinner at the Hoytel du Rh—during which a French general and his upset daughter came into the room and caused us much d—un—st rat— among the French people. Caught 12.10 to Picquigny. Got to the chateau at 2 o/c in the morning.

Over to you Frev, you can see how difficult it was to read by the number of ? and spaces there are.

Night all

Julian

Hi All

Sorry I have been out of circulation for a few days due to the pressures of work. I Regards

Julian

Hi, Jules - I could send the Boys round to see your Boss and get the workload sorted...

Well Jules,

Looks like you had a ball deciphering this last lot! We're all so glad you keep plugging away at it though - even when your head must be spinning. I've done my best - still a lot of blanks though. Maybe someone else can help with those!

I guess we're into the last month - sigh!

Cheers for now, Frev

60th Instalment

Friday November 24th

Having handed over my duties as BO6? [bCC] I censored letters for the rest of the morning and in the afternoon the battalion went for a route march al---- were taken in hand by the Adjutant and got a lively time by the battalion and got a lively time lecture by the battalion [bit of a double up] LGC ? [i'd say this is correct - Lewis Gun Commander] on the mechanism and tactical use of LS? [LG - Lewis Gun]

Monday November 27th

Lt Stevenson being crock [crook] today I am BCC. Parade 2 o/c. As a result of day leave having been granted to Amiens about 20 wasters ? [yep - malingerers] are AWL and Major Mitchell who is now acting CO whilst Colonel Coulter is on leave, spoke to the battalion s—things on the subject and –ght--- --.

Tuesday November 28th

Orders to proceed to brigade at 9 o/c. To go to school tomorrow. Holiday today for battalion sports. Passed very well. Lecture at 7 o/c in the village school room by GSO Colonel Blamey? [yep - Lt Col Thomas Blamey was a Gen. Staff Officer with Div. HQ] on mode of attack.

Wednesday November 29th

At BHQ at 8.45 to go to school. Waited till lunch time. Had lunch and then at last started off for the school at Terancourt ? [could it be Henencourt] where we arrived about 2.30. We are camped in an old chateau and should have a comfortable time. Len Erray [Errey] Fred Gaulton of the 7th and I occupy one room. Went for a stroll into the town of Picquegay [Picquigny] on the banks of the Somme. It is quite decent and of –st recent interest. Mess 6.30 after which the Commandant Colonel Stevens DSO (MG) roused about mess etiquette.

Thursday November 30th

Dinner 6.30. Co intimated that officers will be allowed leave to Amiens and Picquegay [Picquigny].

Saturday December 2nd

After dinner went for a good walk along the bridle path running along side the Somme to Picquigon [Picquigny] shopping and home.

Sunday December 3rd

Parade 9.30 for one hour. Ceremonial drill for the satisfaction of the CO. Caught 2.30 tram to Amiens with Gauton and Len Errey. Had lunch in the Hotel du Rh— [there was a Hotel du Rhin in Amiens] did shopping and had a good look around the City which is a very fine one. The Cathedral is a most magnificent building, the oldest and best piece of stonework outside being –-y –ic—by sandbag walls. After ------- Dinner at the Hoytel du Rh—during which a French general and his upset daughter came into the room and caused us much d—un—st rat— [? distraction] among the French people. Caught 12.10 to Picquigny. Got to the chateau at 2 o/c in the morning.

HI Frev

Thanks once again for your deciphering skills, they are much appreciated, when I get my scanner you can see for yourself how difficult it is :D

Regards

Julian

Evening All

Well there might not be any diary again tonight but the fact that I went out of my way to collect my new scanner will hopefully make up for it. Below you will see a picture of John that was taken a French photographer's studio in Amiens shortly after he was promoted. Judging by the very crumpled edge I would imagine it had been in a wallet for quite some time!!

post-3340-1115929347.jpg

Great photo Jules. Though It doesn't look like he has the brass 'A' on the battalion patch on his shoulder. This 'A' signified service on Gallipoli and I believe was brought into wear in 1917 or 18, but I guess the photo may have been taken before the wearing of the 'A' came into effect.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi jules,

Been awhile but ive catched upp again, still gripped by it all. Okay here goes one.

54th Instalment

Sunday October 22nd

. Discovered the adjutants bedroom and he being in a comfortable bed we climbed into his valise on the floor. He and his bed mate Tas Mummery were rather surprised to find us there in the morning.

A valise is not a suitecase as many suppose but is an officers sleeping bag will try to find a picture of it. They came with leather handle and strapps and looked when rolled ore faulded as a suitcase, hence valise.

As to the name place Bray sur somme. I leave that to the 8th batt buffs, all i can say that the 13th ALH were also in that place in waiting to advance.

Plonk, well this is the version ive always heard.

PLONK Wine. From French Vin blanc, white wine, although the expression may also be derived from the firm of Plonques, importers of a particularly reprehensible brand of Algerian red wine.

I love the photo of him, something old something new. He kept his old hat but a substitute storm chinstrap. And look at that Sam brown belt, brand new. Haha this picture is so great. He really looks so darned young and it must be chilly cause hese wearing a cardigan under his tunic.

keep on going mate , i will be checking :lol:

coo-ee

patrick

Jules - A scanner!!! - at last!! - you'll be busy now - so many photos etc etc - you have been promising - remember!

I agree with Andrew & Patrick - this one's a great photo - so clear - and such a baby!!

Patrick - thanks so much for the info on the 'valise' - it ruins the comical image I had of 2 men in a suitcase - but it's great to be put in the 'know' on these things. Up until this morning I hadn't even realised that they used sleeping bags (I was reading about Bean curling up in his - and thought he must have been special). Look forward to seeing a photo of what they looked like.

Cheers, Frev.

Jules - A scanner!!! - at last!! - you'll be busy now - so many photos etc etc - you have been promising - remember!

I agree with Andrew & Patrick - this one's a great photo - so clear - and such a baby!!

Patrick - thanks so much for the info on the 'valise' - it ruins the comical image I had of 2 men in a suitcase - but it's great to be put in the 'know' on these things.  Up until this morning I hadn't even realised that they used sleeping bags (I was reading about Bean curling up in his - and thought he must have been special).  Look forward to seeing a photo of what they looked like.

Cheers, Frev.

Hi Frev

Yes I have finally got my new toy to play with so you will be seeing a few photos over the coming weeks. My overriding impression of John was that he was such a baby face in the picture. I will post one tonight taken in 1913 which is even worse on that score. I also had no idea what a valise was really, it sheds new light on John's escapade that's for sure.

Regards

Julian

Great photo Jules. Though It doesn't look like he has the brass 'A' on the battalion patch on his shoulder. This 'A' signified service on Gallipoli and I believe was brought into wear in 1917 or 18, but I guess the photo may have been taken before the wearing of the 'A' came into effect.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I believe this photo was most likely taken in October 1916 so presumably that would explain the lack of the "A" badge you mention Andrew. Thanks for the info as I did not know that.

Cheers

Julian

Hi jules,

Been awhile but ive catched upp again, still gripped by it all. Okay here goes one.

54th Instalment

Sunday October 22nd

. Discovered the adjutants bedroom and he being in a comfortable bed we climbed into his valise on the floor. He and his bed mate Tas Mummery were rather surprised to find us there in the morning.

A valise is not a suitcase as many suppose but is an officers sleeping bag will try to find a picture of it. They came with leather handle and strapps and looked when rolled ore faulded as a suitcase, hence valise.

I love the photo of him, something old something new. He kept his old hat but a substitute storm chinstrap. And look at that Sam brown belt, brand new. Haha this picture is so great. He really looks so darned young and it must be chilly cause hese wearing a cardigan under his tunic.

keep on going mate , i will be checking :lol:

coo-ee

patrick

Glad you like the photo patrick, it sure does make John look about 16 don't you think? I have the belt and shoulder strap he is wearing at home, do you think that is worth anything mate? What did you mean about John keeping his old hat with a substitute storm chinstrap, I would be very interested to hear about it. What does the coo-ee mean by the way.

Cheers

Julian

I'm actually quite relieved it wasn't a suitcase - although I had many a laugh trying to imagine the boys that night! A photo of one would be marvellous, Andrew.

looking forward to the 1913 photo, Jules - we'll have to send the school truant board after John - they used to say that about my father when he was in the Navy - his photos show an angelic looking kiddie! (he wasn't!)

I just find it fascinating that John has such a baby face and yet his writings show a very mature and steady man. Amazing contrast! Are we getting the camel photo too?

CYA,

Marina

Hi All

Here is the other photo I mentioned before with John looking even younger !

Regards

Julian

post-3340-1116015503.jpg

This pic makes me want to take him home and burp him! How could he be so brave and cool and look like a wee boy?

Marina

Oh dear, Marina. Are you feeling OK tonight? Looks a little big to fit on one's shoulder.

Robbie :lol::lol:

Oh dear, Marina. Are you feeling OK tonight? Looks a little big to fit on one's shoulder.

Robbie  :lol:  :lol:

:lol: OK, you can laugh - but I bet he brings out the maternal in you too, Robbie! He's just a wean!

Jules - why is John in uniform in 1913? Was he in the regular army or the TA or what?

Marina

:lol: OK, you can laugh - but I bet he brings out the maternal in you too, Robbie! He's just a wean!

Jules - why is John in uniform in 1913?  Was he in the regular army or the TA or what?

Marina

No, i'm well past feeling maternal. A wean? what's that?

Robbie :rolleyes:

Jules - why is John in uniform in 1913?  Was he in the regular army or the TA or what?

Marina

A very good question Marina, I know not the answer as yet, will have to find some time to do the digging on it.

Julian

Also seems to have the Australai badge on the shoulder. I don't think that came in till they went overseas in 1914.

Kim