German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

6 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

2-German-Groups-1.jpg

back3.jpg

4-German-Grps-3.jpg

back1.jpg

Hello!

The first card is interesting. The sender is from Res.Inf.Rgt.68 in a "Nahkampfmittelkursus" (close-range-weapon-course) in Elsenborn (near Malmedy)

The reverse:

back2.jpg

4-German-Grps-2.jpg

back4.jpg

The date I carelessly covered when scanning  is 1918

The first stamp is from Pionier-Bataillon 27

The second photo is rare!!!!!!! Note the cross upon the forearm of the man on the right. These were signs of the 208th Inf.Div.!

In this case Res.Inf.Rgt.65. I attached a nice one from my collection

Scannen0001.jpg

Last one of this week's haul.

4-German-Grps-4.jpg

Can you reat the text? It´s too bright to read clearly

208.Inf.Div. (Strichdivision, Res.Inf.Rgt.65, MG 08).JPG

Edited by The Prussian

That is a great image Andi.

Here is the text from the bottom of the other one with the contrast adjusted to make it as clear as I can. The original is somewhat over-exposed and also a bit faded - sorrycaption.jpg

1 hour ago, 4thGordons said:

That is a great image Andi.

Here is the text from the bottom of the other one with the contrast adjusted to make it as clear as I can. The original is somewhat over-exposed and also a bit faded - sorrycaption.jpg

That´s really hard to read.

8. Beritt (Beritt = Korporalschaft, section,  in cavalry) 3 D. 2 b. (= "beim" is a shortform for "bei dem". Pferdeputzen(?) (at cleaning of horses???) in Alten-Grabow 19??. The 3 could stand for 3rd Eskadron. So we could have 3.Esk./Drag.Rgt.2

The 2 could stand for 2nd Dragoons. The colour of the 2nd was black, that we see upon the collar of the man with the Litewka. BUT the 2nd had an eagle between both cockades...

A Beritt is not a tactical unit, but a small group of soldiers, who are responsible for the horses.

I attached the structure of a cavalry Eskadron

Eskadronsführer (leader of an escadron: Rittmeister = captain)

Zugführer: Platoon-leader: Subaltern-officer)

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

11 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

4-German-Grps-2.jpg

I think this is the first time I have seen one of these 'kameraden' photographs in which clay pipes are being smoked!

It works, Julian! Those clay-pipes are offered around Christmas in Germany with a guy, called "Stutenkerl" (Kerl = guy, Stuten = white bread)

This pipes are "smokeable". My father smoked it at xmas ´45, when bread was rare, but pipes were rarer...

b_1_q_0_p_0RG52CDMU.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

post #623 (upper one with snow):

„M[eine] L[ieben]! Nun seht Ihr mal, wie’s

hier aussieht. Uns geht es ganz

famos, wir werden dick und

fett hier und erholen uns ganz

wunderbar. Auf baldiges Wieder-

sehen in Colonia.

Euer Paul“

Dear all!

Now you can see, how it looks like here. We are very well [splendid], getting big and fat here and we all recover wonderfully. See you soon in Cologne

Your Paul

Senders name: Musketier Fervers (?)

Christine

Thanks very much Christine.

The final two collections of photos have now arrived so lots of scanning in my future!

Here is the first and last photo in one of the albums -- so is this the same man?

There is some writing on the back of the first one:

No1a.jpgNo2a.jpg

No1aback.jpg

Hello!

According Christine´s translation.

A friend of mine is interested in Res-.Inf.Rgt.68. He ha s an own internet-site:

http://www.reserve-infanterie-regiment-68.de/

To your last photos. It shows an Offizier-Stellvertreter. A found a Vizefeldwebel Robert Raphael, seriously wounded in 1914

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/227603

On 11/8/2016 at 06:48, The Prussian said:

Post March-1918, if the NCO kneeling by the MG on the left is indeed wearing a Verwundetenabzeichen, which he seems to be, and likewise possibly (if not a blemish on the photograph) the young chap with the EK 1

Edited by trajan

That´s right! Thise stripes were introduced in june 1917. The same stripes were painted on the back of the steel-helmets

• 4 weeks later...

Scan_20161204_zpsbfwn0uww.png

Scan_20161204%202_zpszqrdw2lr.png

Scan_20161204%203_zpsd1ba79ef.png

Scan_20161204%207_zpsbteospqb.png

Scan_20161204%206_zpsjgy167p6.png

Scan_20161204%204_zpsjaopxoqs.png

Can anyone please offer a transcription for the message and names, or provide ID for the medals/awards.

A first attempt, not sure if this is correct:

Ostern 1918 [Easter 1918]

Mit herzlichen Grüßen [Best regards]

Hans Meier

1. Büchner [?] Joseph

2. Schlee ??? [maybe something like "Steffl" or "Stoffl" for Stefan, Stephan, Steffan, Steffen, but seems a "bit" far fetched]

3. Glenk [?] Karl

4. Hein Rudolf

Christine

Thank you very much, Christine!

But now we´ve got a problem to identify the unit.

The only officer in the group is the not-numbered one.

So he will be the sender. Hans Meier... A name as popular as John Smith in the UK or the States...

The only thing I can say, that he is a bavarian infantry man (lion-buttons for Bavaria and brandenburg cuffs for infantry.)

13 minutes ago, AliceF said:

... Mit herzlichen Grüßen ... 1. Büchner [?] Joseph ... 

I am banging my head... I got the "Grussen" and never though of "herzlichen"... :angry: But how about Luechner instead of Buechner?

7 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

... So he will be the sender. Hans Meier... A name as popular as John Smith in the UK or the States...

Yes, well, Andy... ! But certainly all those lads are Bavarian - with those great big "Please aim here for a kill-shot" cockades!!!

As for the medals, well, a fair mixture of (presumably) Bavarian ones, although no Prussian Wilhelm centennial ones which narrows it down a bit.

Julian

Hello Julian!

It´s Buechner. I´ve never heard from a german name called "Luechner"

I´ve checked the casualty lists.

Hans Maier: 32 entries

Joseph Buechner: no entry

Joseph Büchner: 11 entries

Schlee:  no entry with a firstname with "ff"

Karl Glenk: 2 entries!!!, bavarian Resreve-Inf.Rgt.12 ; bavarain Inf.Rgt.15 ;

Rudolf Hein: 4 entries. bav. 5.Inf.Rtg. ; bavarian 2.Jäger-Btl. ; bavarian Foot-artillery battery 299 ; bavarian Inf.Rgt.30

Edited by The Prussian

B and L is one of these tricky things for me (see below), but here I chose what I thought was most likely. There are a couple of Joseph/Josef Büchner in the Verlustenliste (most from Bavaria).

Christine

Sutterlin.jpg

Edited by AliceF

That´s right.

I found two matches with the bavarian 5.Inf.Rgt. (Joseph Büchner and Rudolf Hein)

That would be a great match! Again bavarian 5.Inf.Rgt.!

But what is Stefft? It sounds like Stettfeld, but why should he write is hometown in the card?

And I read Schlee, but is the first letter of the "ff" word also an "S"? Maybe a nickname?

Edited by The Prussian

On 4 December 2016 at 15:27, AliceF said:

On 4 December 2016 at 15:51, trajan said:
On 4 December 2016 at 17:26, The Prussian said:

Many thanks to you all. Your help is greatly appreciated. 

No. 4 was the only one I could decipher with any degree of certainty. 

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year one and all! Having a bit of a breather here in the two-day break between the last classes (Friday) and the first exams (Monday)...

So here are a few I bought over here in November, I think. This first one is a bit of a puzzle in that the left hand of the photograph/post card was cut -off - maybe because of a partial overexposure before developing? There is a black streak there. So, the obverse has these seven chappies, five standing, one seated, and one sat on the ground, and three rabbits and a dog! The chappies all have M.1915 Bluse, except the one standing on the left - he seems to have a work jacket? One only has Winkelgamaschen, the rest of them boots. I was thinking Bavarian, on account of the large State cockades. Against that idea there are no Rautenborte on the collars... The only reliable(!) possible identifier is that red epaulette worn by the seated chappie with a (?)crown over a number/letter/simple monogram. 

I can make out some of the writing on the reverse but not enough to even start offering my usual bad translation - but note how the writing curves at the right side to fit the truncated front!

Julian

PS: Just noticed - the seated chappie is holding two rabbits, one black!

GWF GERM0001.jpg

GWF GERM0001a.jpg

GWF GERM0001B.jpg

GWF GERM0003.jpg

Edited by trajan
Add PS

And here is a second... Nothing to say about this one really other than that it is a nice shot of a chappie in the Füsilier-Regiment Kaiser Franz Josef von Österreich, König von Ungarn (4. Württembergisches) Nr. 122 , his Waffenrock M.1910 with the regulation Brandenburg cuffs (some photographs of these men show them with Swedish cuffs), and his trouser cuffs rolled over his boots, a practice usually distinctive of Saxons, but a common affectation among Württembergers also. The photograph, as one can see, was taken in Böckingen-Heilbronn, location of a well-known Roman fort on the Neckar limes....!

Julian

GWF GERM0004.jpg

GWF GERM0004a.jpg

GWF GERM0005.jpg

And last but not least... This young lad in his M.1915 Bluse is almost but not quite showing all of his (?)white-bordered epaulettes, and has a nice troddel with an 84/98 bayonet in the metal scabbard. His name is - I think - Kurt ???

Julian

GWF GERM0006.jpg

GWF GERM0006a.jpg

GWF GERM0007.jpg