Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

Just now, 4thGordons said:

No - I am pretty sure it is a 2 as I indicated.

The other image does have some writing on the back IIRC but it is partially obscured I will scan it later.

Chris

Ah well, me mixing drinking cocktails (G/T, if you must know!) with responding to GWF...

The problem is, though, what '2' (or '3' as I read it)? Can't be Kaiser Franz Garde-Grenadier-Regiment 2 as they had a monogram. Is it a staff and snake - Aesclepius, and so monogram for Sanitätsoffizier?

”Straßburg am 24. Feldpost

Liebe Amelia [?] u. xxx

Xxx dir xxx, daß wir

heute fort kommen in Straß

Burg soviel ich weiß in

die Vogesen nach Frankreich.

Habe so viele Franzosen gesehen

Xxx xxx. Lustig gehen

wir auf sie (?) los xxx xxx

xxx die wird xxx

xxx xxx mit den xxx

Lieben Gruß H. Raiser (Kaiser?)“

The address seems to be

„in Oberbeuren

bei Kaufbeuren“

It is more guessing than reading, so not very reliable.

The first words could logically be “Teile dir mit”, but the letters do not fit – the third word being rather a “nicht” than a “mit”.

Christine

8 hours ago, trajan said:

Ah well, me mixing drinking cocktails (G/T, if you must know!) with responding to GWF...

The problem is, though, what '2' (or '3' as I read it)? Can't be Kaiser Franz Garde-Grenadier-Regiment 2 as they had a monogram. Is it a staff and snake - Aesclepius, and so monogram for Sanitätsoffizier?

So here is the back:

reverse.jpg

and a close up of the epaulette

ep.jpg

Not the card comes from Nürnberg. Bavaria. So it could the bavarian Inf.Rgt.Nr.2

19 hours ago, AliceF said:

... It is more guessing than reading, so not very reliable.

The first words could logically be “Teile dir mit”, but the letters do not fit – the third word being rather a “nicht” than a “mit”.

Heck, you have made quite some headway with that! Thanks, and I'll see what I can learn from comparing your piece with the card!

Thanks again,

Julian

12 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

and a close up of the epaulette

ep.jpg

10 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Not the card comes from Nürnberg. Bavaria. So it could the bavarian Inf.Rgt.Nr.2

I suppose that could be Bavarian-type edging on his collar? Not also that he seems to have three bands of braiding on his cuffs - but I have to go an teach a class now so will have to look at this again later.

Julian

The card in post #553 is much easier to read:

„Werter Herr Ahrens!

Sende Ihnen eine xxx von

meinem Zimmer. Das Laufen geht

schon ganz gut, werde in den

nächsten Tagen entlassen. Es geht soweit

gut. Grüßen Sie auch Ihre Frau Gemahlin

bestens von mir.

Gruß von Leonhard Wälzlein“

[Send you a xxx of my room. Walking goes already quite well. I will be discharged in the next few days. So far everything is all right. Please send my regards also to your wife.

Best regards Leonhard Wälzlein]

Herrn

Wilhelm Ahrens

Schlossermeister

Verden a/Aller

Abs. Sergt. Leonh. Wälzlein

….

By the way, which post shows the front side?

Could be him: seriously wounded: http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/7854724

Christine

8 hours ago, AliceF said:

The card in post #553 is much easier to read:

„Werter Herr Ahrens!

Sende Ihnen eine xxx von

meinem Zimmer. Das Laufen geht

schon ganz gut, werde in den

nächsten Tagen entlassen. Es geht soweit

gut. Grüßen Sie auch Ihre Frau Gemahlin

bestens von mir.

Gruß von Leonhard Wälzlein“

[Send you a xxx of my room. Walking goes already quite well. I will be discharged in the next few days. So far everything is all right. Please send my regards also to your wife.

Best regards Leonhard Wälzlein]

Herrn

Wilhelm Ahrens

Schlossermeister

Verden a/Aller

Abs. Sergt. Leonh. Wälzlein

….

Christine

Hello Christine!

XXX = Aufnahme (another word for shot or photo)

8 hours ago, AliceF said:

Christine

Thanks very much for the translation I had about 1/3 of it!

Chris

Of course "Aufnahme" - always so obvious - afterwards.

Tried to read the last line of the sender, seems to be rather an address than a unit.

Christine

Scan_20161012_zpsfzgzn7zh.png

Front and back of a card featuring "German Officers".Scan_20161013%202_zps17uppaik.png

Edited by GWF1967

17 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Scan_20161012_zpsfzgzn7zh.png

Front and back of a card featuring "German Officers".Scan_20161013%202_zps17uppaik.png

Well, troop "training place Münsingen" is a give away! So, Reutlingen, Baden-Württemberg. Place name also readable in the second line under "Feldpost". And Wiki gives as noteworthy sites at the place today: "the museum for former military training area in the "old camp" at Auingen". Can't quite read the sender's name but it seems to be the same as the addressee who live in Bad Dürrheim, also Baden-Württemberg.

Infantry officers, and the sender perhaps identified by the Roman 'I' on the front? EK II ribbons, fits wartime.

I'll leave the rest to Christine and the Prussian - and any others!

Julian

Hmm. Can not read much - not even the name of the sender.

I think it is a husband who has been in Schelkingen (about 22 km from Munsingen) and sends his regards and kisses to his wife (and regards to several others).

Got a bit nostalgic, when I saw the card. Spent the summer 1994 near Munsingen, very beautiful landscape (even if the card might not show it), though a bit off.

Anyway in 1994 the military training area was still closed (6700ha!), I remember that. In 2005 the military area was closed down and the area was opened to the public (according to this http://www.muensingen.com/Ehemaliger-Truppenuebungsplatz-Muensingen/Geschichte-des-Areals-und-Museum).

Well, I would like to go there again, actually have not been in the area since 1994. (Sorry that I am a bit off the topic).

Christine

1 hour ago, AliceF said:

I think it is a husband who has been in Schelkingen (about 22 km from Munsingen) and sends his regards and kisses to his wife (and regards to several others).

Got a bit nostalgic, when I saw the card. Spent the summer 1994 near Munsingen, very beautiful landscape (even if the card might not show it), though a bit off.

Anyway in 1994 the military training area was still closed (6700ha!), I remember that. In 2005 the military area was closed down and the area was opened to the public (according to this http://www.muensingen.com/Ehemaliger-Truppenuebungsplatz-Muensingen/Geschichte-des-Areals-und-Museum).

Well, I would like to go there again, actually have not been in the area since 1994. (Sorry that I am a bit off the topic).

Christine

Thank you for the information Christine. I'm glad you liked the card, off topic or not. 

5 hours ago, trajan said:

Well, troop "training place Münsingen" is a give away! So, Reutlingen, Baden-Württemberg. Place name also readable in the second line under "Feldpost". And Wiki gives as noteworthy sites at the place today: "the museum for former military training area in the "old camp" at Auingen". Can't quite read the sender's name but it seems to be the same as the addressee who live in Bad Dürrheim, also Baden-Württemberg.

Infantry officers, and the sender perhaps identified by the Roman 'I' on the front? EK II ribbons, fits wartime.

I'll leave the rest to Christine and the Prussian - and any others!

Julian

Thanks Trajan. 

Hope I haven't posted this before - I don't think so. Just pre-war with a troddel visible...

g1 001.jpg

back...

g2 001.jpg

Edited by depaor01

"Mein liebes Marichen!

So es mir die Zeit

erlaubt und das Wetter

einigermaßen gut

ist komme ich

am Sonntag ein

paar Stunden nach

xxx. Habe heute

Verwandte und Be-

kannte hier mal

wieder aufgesucht.

Viele xxx Grüße Dein

xxx"

Dear Marichen,

if I have the time and if the weather is good enough, I'll come on Sunday for a couple of hours to xxx. Today I have visited relatives and friends here. Best regards yours xxx

Christine 

On 14-10-2016 at 21:07, AliceF said:

Christine

It's a card from Stabsarzt Bergheimer.

A visit to the camp is highly recommended, I've been there twice or so.

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of new ones: Not much to go on for the first one: Leipzig Photographer (Otto Schmiedel Hartelstr. 14)

I don't see any insignia/numbers etc...

Nothing on the back apart from the Photographer name and address.

Chris

LeipzigGroup.jpg

more on this one though:

POWs.jpg

reverse

reverse:

back.jpg

Chris

Hello!

This man is Vizefeldwebel Ludwig Wiese from 3rd company/Res.Inf.Rgt.77

Here we can read: so far missed, now in prison

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5169401

The rank is Vizefeldwebel and his place of birth is according to the adress.

Edited by The Prussian

6 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Couple of new ones: Not much to go on for the first one: Leipzig Photographer (Otto Schmiedel Hartelstr. 14)

I don't see any insignia/numbers etc...

Nothing on the back apart from the Photographer name and address.

Chris

LeipzigGroup.jpg

The chap with the bandaged hand has a number on his epaulette, but I can't quite make it out, while the chaps with the rifles have muzzle covers on these.

Hello!

It´s probably readable with a mag. I assume, because of Leipzig and a number instead of a monogram, we see the saxon Inf.Rgt.107

6 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

more on this one though:

POWs.jpg

reverse:

back.jpg

That is a nice one! There is a thread on the camp here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/155009-eastcotepattishall-pow-camp-1914-19/ 

3 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

It´s probably readable with a mag. I assume, because of Leipzig and a number instead of a monogram, we see the saxon Inf.Rgt.107

epaulette.jpg

Looks like you are correct!