Ansicht Viele Grüße

Sendet dir nebst Eltern

Auf Wiedersehen

Dein Bruder

Paul

Frl. Martha Lorenz

Rohrbach …. Brambach

Sachsen"

(There is a Rohrbach near Bad Brambach in Sachsen. I did not find any Paul Lorenz from Rohrbach/Brambach in the Verlustenliste)

Christine

That´s right, Christine!

Behind Rohrbach we can read Vgtl. That means Vogtland. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogtland )

It´s an overlapping regio in Bavaria, Thuringia, Saxony and Bohemia.

The card was written may 22, 1915.

The company belonged to the 54.Res.Div. (a wurttemberg one!) and was located in Flandres (Becelaere-Polygon Wood), between the Ypres-Menin Wood and Roulers railroad.

In april and may it suffered heavy losses during the 2nd battle of Ypres (Frezenberg, Verlorenhoek, Hooge)

Sources: Histories of the 251 division of the german army

Paul Lorenz was born in Dölau. There are two entries in the casualty list.

A tip, Christine: The place of birth is one indicator, but you also can look for Liste ( > Sachsen) or unit (in this case > 54)

So I found him twice. Born in Dölau, Liste: Sachsen, Unit: Res.Pi.Kp.54

Light wounded as a private between 4th and 7th of may 1915  (he wrote the card two weeks later as an Unteroffizier!!!!)

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/1074077

And again light wounded as an NCO in 1916:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3365255

Dölau is once marked as Dölau, Greiz and once Dölau, Reuß ä.L. (ältere Linie)

That is a little bit complicated, you might read the history of the house of Reuß. There was an older and a younger line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_County_of_Reuss

Dölau today is a part of Halle/Saale: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dölau_(Halle)

Edited by The Prussian

19 hours ago, AliceF said:

Regarding post # 503, maybe something like (but I am not sure):

"Abs: Unteroffizier Lorenz

Liebe Schwester

Anbei eine kleine

Ansicht Viele Grüße

Sendet dir nebst Eltern

Auf Wiedersehen

Dein Bruder

Paul

Frl. Martha Lorenz

Rohrbach …. Brambach

Sachsen"

(There is a Rohrbach near Bad Brambach in Sachsen. I did not find any Paul Lorenz from Rohrbach/Brambach in the Verlustenliste)

Christine

Thanks Christine. 

13 hours ago, The Prussian said:

That´s right, Christine!

Behind Rohrbach we can read Vgtl. That means Vogtland. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogtland )

It´s an overlapping regio in Bavaria, Thuringia, Saxony and Bohemia.

The card was written may 22, 1915.

The company belonged to the 54.Res.Div. (a wurttemberg one!) and was located in Flandres (Becelaere-Polygon Wood), between the Ypres-Menin Wood and Roulers railroad.

In april and may it suffered heavy losses during the 2nd battle of Ypres (Frezenberg, Verlorenhoek, Hooge)

Sources: Histories of the 251 division of the german army

Paul Lorenz was born in Dölau. There are two entries in the casualty list.

A tip, Christine: The place of birth is one indicator, but you also can look for Liste ( > Sachsen) or unit (in this case > 54)

So I found him twice. Born in Dölau, Liste: Sachsen, Unit: Res.Pi.Kp.54

Light wounded as a private between 4th and 7th of may 1915  (he wrote the card two weeks later as an Unteroffizier!!!!)

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/1074077

And again light wounded as an NCO in 1916:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3365255

Dölau is once marked as Dölau, Greiz and once Dölau, Reuß ä.L. (ältere Linie)

That is a little bit complicated, you might read the history of the house of Reuß. There was an older and a younger line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_County_of_Reuss

Dölau today is a part of Halle/Saale: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dölau_(Halle)

Many thanks for the information.  

Here's a recent junk shop pick up -- any suggestions?

Germ1.jpg

Chris

Hello Chris!

It's a company sergeant of a Landsturm bataillon. Can you recognize the collar letters and cyphers?

In germdn it's called "Etatmäßiger Feldwebel" . Company sergeants had the double stripes upon the lower arm and the book in the tunic. 

Landsturm had those special caps.

Edited by The Prussian

19 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Chris!

It's a company sergeant of a Landsturm bataillon. Can you recognize the collar letters and cyphers?

In germdn it's called "Etatmäßiger Feldwebel" . Company sergeants had the double stripes upon the lower arm and the book in the tunic. 

Landsturm had those special caps.

Thanks very much.

Overnight I was able to ease the photo off the backing it was stuck too and lo and behold there was about the clearest unit stamp you could imagine!

So that clears that one up!unitID.jpg

Chris

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Scan_20161006_zpsclzepjyb.pngScan_20161007_zpss2sxlxvf.pngScan_20161007%202_zpsgf2pabk5.png

Looks to be a No3on the man f/right. 

Hello!

It is a 3 on the shoulder strap. According to the black cap band and the brandenburg cuffs we probably have Foot-artillery regiment Nr.3. If the cap band is NOT black, another possibility would be Res-Inf.Rgt.3 or Landwehr-Inf.Rgt.3

2 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Thanks very much.

Overnight I was able to ease the photo off the backing it was stuck too and lo and behold there was about the clearest unit stamp you could imagine!

So that clears that one up!unitID.jpg

Chris

Hello Chris!

So you would see a VII.9 upon the collar.

The bataillon came from Minden. It was set-up october 12, 1914. But it stayed immobile. That means, there was only a basic population of soldiers who were not activated for the front. Unfortunately I can´t read anything.

Edited by The Prussian

7 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

It is a 3 on the shoulder strap. According to the black cap band and the brandenburg cuffs we probably have Foot-artillery regiment Nr.3. If the cap band is NOT black, another possibility would be Res-Inf.Rgt.3 or Landwehr-Inf.Rgt.3

Thank you. 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 13:17, trajan said:

This one - posted 24 09 14 - is nice in some ways, but a bu**er in others because of the faded 'kurrent schrift' on the obverse which is clearer (if still a problem for me!) on the reverse text.... 

I understand it to be a Landsturmmann (see the cross on his oilskin cap), and I think from Bavaria (look at the size of the lower cockade) in Strassburg (see below), with full field equipment, including a S.71/84 on his rifle. That looks to be a '4' on his collar, and so - what? I'll post the reverse next...

scan0003A.jpg

scan0004A.jpg

scan0005A.jpg

This is the reverse...

scan0006A.jpg

I freely admit I am lost on this one... To Ihr Frauen ??? R??? ... in Ober??? near R??? And so advice / transcription / translation would be welcome. Also, vielen danke!

I am seeing the frau's first name as Amelia.  That's all I have.  :)

-Daniel

Hello Daniel!

The early Landsturm units ´still wore only the number of the infantry-brigade at their collar. In this case 4.

I agree with Bavaria. Unfortunately I can´t read the script, but the bavarian 4th Inf.Brig. was in Neu-Ulm

getting around to scanning a few more:

Lots of ribbons on display -- and a light coloured tunic. Epaulettes read 19

19web.jpg

And a possibly related one - Epaulettes on chap on right say 2. I cannot make out centre. Assume these are Drs and staff?

18web.jpg

21.jpg22.jpg

Amother couple of "medical" ones - I have to say the cotton striped "pajamas" look rather more comfortable than the "hospital blues"

The lower picture has lots of writing on and is dated 15/6/1915 - the postmark appears to be Metz Montigny (so presumably a German hospital in France)

This one is postmarked the 18th of May 1918 in Duisburg.

The chalkboards show  8.4 3/4/18 Jager Rang(L) and  and 8.4 Soldat Radehaus 28/3/18

20.jpg

18 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

getting around to scanning a few more:

Lots of ribbons on display -- and a light coloured tunic. Epaulettes read 19

19web.jpg

Isn't this one inscribed on the back?  The 'X' over second standing from the right suggests this...;)

Lady with red cross badge at her neck, so recuperating chappies as no hospital jim-jams! Several of them have collar lace (in some cases shorter war-time version) indicating NCO's, but only the two to the right of the 'nurse' and the one standing on right behind her seem to have the collar button indicating 'sergeant' or above, and so the others are 'Unteroffiziere'. Medal ribbon bars are unusual, while the size of the state cockade worn by the chap on the extreme right suggests he is Bavarian, but the others are not. Mix of 'blouses', but the fly fronts are M.1916, I think, and so a terminus post quem for you!

Andi (Prussian) should be able to add more!

On 10/7/2016 at 17:15, ph0ebus said:

I am seeing the frau's first name as Amelia.  That's all I have.  :)

More than I got... But family name is Ruis(s)er? Oberbrunnen bei (?)Regensbrunnn?

I am hampered by my very poor knowledge of German grammar, having picked up the language while working on excavations there for 18 months back in the 1970's and then having to read German texts for my Phud, etc.... So, I can identify some words, but getting the text is a real bu**er for me. It certainly does not help with the various forms of Kurrent schrift around...

E.g., this one - first line, "Strassburg, den 24..." - but what comes next? This was posted on 24-09-14, but the next word looks nothing like "September"... Next line, "Liebe Aemelia, in Hoffnung [?]fruhe..." what?

I guess what I (and others?) would welcome would be a word-by-word dissection of the text - showing the script with the reading... AliceF/Christine, fancy giving us some examples? How to read kurrent schrift using actual examples? Or shall we all bug Siege Gunner???!!!

I have worked on it, but the result was so poor that I did not post it.

Well, I'll walk the dog and get back to it.

Christine

P.S. The word behind Strassburg 24 is actually "Feldpost" - took me some time...

19 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

And a possibly related one - Epaulettes on chap on right say 2. I cannot make out centre. Assume these are Drs and staff?

18web.jpg

Again, lots of red cross badges at the throats of the nurses - who seem to be less 'expensively' dressed than in the former photograph...

Centre man clearly a proper officer (and presumably a gentleman also!) given his epaulettes. One on his left has braided bands on his epaulettes, and so I think he is an 'Offizierstellvertretter ', a senior NCO (yes, he does look young!) brevetted as an officer 'for the duration'.

I don't think it's a '3' on the last chappie. but I am not certain what it is

7 minutes ago, AliceF said:

... P.S. The word behind Strassburg 24 is actually "Feldpost" - took me some time...

Heck, that was quick - and good, and logical!

1 minute ago, trajan said:

I don't think it's a '3' on the last chappie. but I am not certain what it is

No - I am pretty sure it is a 2 as I indicated.

The other image does have some writing on the back IIRC but it is partially obscured I will scan it later.

Chris