Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Enjoyed the "Brothers in arms" post. Unfortunately I`ve been off the radar for a few weeks, and so I missed it. Continuing that theme though......

Who are these???post-95959-0-79681500-1457462402_thumb.j

Enjoyed the "Brothers in arms" post. Unfortunately I`ve been off the radar for a few weeks, and so I missed it. Continuing that theme though......

Who are these???attachicon.gifhu.jpg

Ooo, as I come from Bristol they are have been featured in the local paper before. Will let someone else have a try first...

Welcome back NF.

The Whiteford Brothers.

I'd not come across these men's story, but using Andrew's generous clue, and Googling- Bristol, Brothers and Great War, gave me the answer.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/WWI-Incredible-picture-shows-Bristol-brothers/story-20554045-detail/story.html

Fascinating.

And on the theme of 'Parental Pride'...

Here is a mother and her four children, (taken in the early 1950s), the beginnings of a famous dynasty.

What is her link to the Great War?

Bonus for 10. Who is her most famous son (standing, left).

Extra bonus for 15. Name any of her grandchildren.

post-109762-0-12051000-1457533643_thumb.

Dai, they look like various Attenboroughs to me, am I in the right ball park as our American cousins might say?

Pete.

Hi Pete

I thought the Attenboroughs were born in the 1920's, picture is from 50's

John

Dai, they look like various Attenboroughs to me, am I in the right ball park as our American cousins might say?

Pete.

As our Transatlantic cousins might say......

No.

In fact..nowhere near. Sorry!

But I think I can see the resemblance of the chap on the left to Sir DA

Welcome back NF.

The Whiteford Brothers.

I'd not come across these men's story, but using Andrew's generous clue, and Googling- Bristol, Brothers and Great War, gave me the answer.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/WWI-Incredible-picture-shows-Bristol-brothers/story-20554045-detail/story.html

Fascinating.

And on the theme of 'Parental Pride'...

Here is a mother and her four children, (taken in the early 1950s), the beginnings of a famous dynasty.

What is her link to the Great War?

Bonus for 10. Who is her most famous son (standing, left).

Extra bonus for 15. Name any of her grandchildren.

Thanks Dai, and you`re quite correct of course.

Please tell me your Attenborough lookalikes are not the Jones or Evans family :whistle:

Thanks Dai, and you`re quite correct of course.

Please tell me your Attenborough lookalikes are not the Jones or Evans family :whistle:

Got it in one NF.

Neither the Jones nor the Evans family.

Hi Pete

I thought the Attenboroughs were born in the 1920's, picture is from 50's

John

John, you are of course correct. I saw a resemblance and ignored all the evidence to the contrary. The lights are on but there is nobody home.

Pete.

John, you are of course correct. I saw a resemblance and ignored all the evidence to the contrary. The lights are on but there is nobody home.

Pete.

I had a similar experience with the Kennedys, but those dates didn`t make sense either.

P.S. and totally off topic. I took your recent demolition of the B6 brigade as a personal favour. Owe you one mate. If I can return the favour next season it will be my pleasure :thumbsup:

Fox?

Acting children (James, Edward - he would be the one standing - and Robert, but was there a sister?) and grandchildren (Laurence, Emilia)...

but their mother was Angela Worthington, and I can only connect her with the Great War in tenuous ways, such as the fact that Noel Coward wrote a song about her (Don't put your daughter on the stage, Mrs Worthington) and the war ( I'm sure there was something)...EDIT No there wasn't. But see below.

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne

On the other hand Angela Worthington's father, Frederick Lonsdale, wrote The Patriot, a play about the war.

Still not the closest of links!

Liz

Fox?

Acting children (James, Edward) and grandchildren (Laurence)...

but their mother was Angela Worthington, and I can only connect her with the Great War in tenuous ways, such as the fact that Noel Coward wrote a song about her (Don't put your daughter on the stage, Mrs Worthington) and the war ( I'm sure there was something)...EDIT No there wasn't. I give up.

Liz

Not the Fox cubs,no.

Not actors or writers.

Although he performed at the highest level.

When Saturday comes, his name will no doubt be mentioned throughout England and Wales.

Well, it's not the Underwood family, but I'm guessing a Five/Six Nations connection. Gareth Edwards, who ran in that long try for Barbarians against the All Blacks in 1973?

Ron

At last, the right ballpark.

Well, you'd given us the ballpark, with the Saturday reference! (said she indignantly). I wouldn't have wasted my time torturing the Foxes' links, nor Pete the Attenboroughs' ages, if we'd had that info.

EDIT I'm just fed up that it's rugby...

Liz

Well, you'd given us the ballpark, with the Saturday reference! (said she indignantly). I wouldn't have wasted my time torturing the Foxes' links, nor Pete the Attenboroughs' ages, if we'd had that info.

EDIT I'm just fed up that it's rugby...

Liz

Oh dear.

Frequent entrants will know that it is one of my themes.

(Quite surprised that NF or UG haven't nailed this one yet).

So who is he?

But more importantly- What is his mother's link to the Great War?

I think it's Barry John. Son of Vimy?

I think it's Barry John. Son of Vimy?

Well done NF.

Yes,from left to right, Barry, Clive, Allan, with sister Madora in front.

(Delville & Diane are not pictured).

And behind, mother Vimy (b.1921, nee Morgan)

And Madora married Derek Quinnell, their children being Scott, Craig & Gavin.

Dai bach

I should have guessed rugby would be one of your themes from elsewhere on the forum - it is ages since I looked at this thread, or was it a predecesssor? Anyway - I like the WW1 links!

Liz

Dai bach

I should have guessed rugby would be one of your themes from elsewhere on the forum - it is ages since I looked at this thread, or was it a predecesssor? Anyway - I like the WW1 links!

Liz

Thank you Liz,

Yes, I thought it would be a nice cryptic one for a 6 Nations weekend.

Good one Dai; as was blindingly obvious I didn't have a clue. As usual. Perhaps the team would consider this man; his head wasn't that shape under the helmetpost-101238-0-20969600-1457624142_thumb..

Pete.

Thank you Liz,

Yes, I thought it would be a nice cryptic one for a 6 Nations weekend.

Indeed it was Dai.

I`m looking forward to the game. Last time we two met I was left eating humble pie, but what a comeback from the Welsh! Thoroughly deserved.

This time I offer no predictions.