Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queens Own Cameron Highlanders

Rob Bulloch

Hi Mike,

I have just returned after a long absence to find you have posted about John Munro. What a coincidence! That is an interesting addition to the information on him. I was also able to get a copy of his soldiers will from Scottish Records and a photo of his grave. Happy to send copies. You state that his service records survive, do you have them or do you just know that they exist? Unfortunately I only have his war medal, but would be interested in finding his victory and 15 star. Any other information greatly received.

Have just come upon this excellent thread, and found Ian has the medals of one of the men am researching. He is the only Cameron Highlander on the Memorial.

From Strathearn Herald

" The sad intimation has been received by Mr & Mrs Munro of Wellbank Aberfeldy that their son, Pte John Munro, Cameron Highlanders was killed on the 27th of last month.One of Pte Munro's officers, in intimating the death to Mr & Mrs Munro says; I much regret to inform you that your son was killed by a shell on the 27th June. Death was instantaneous. We all send you our sincere sympathy. Pte Munro was well liked by all the officers and men. He had only just come to my Battery and this was his first day in the trenches with the trench mortars ( 45th Light TMB ) . Pte Munro was 24 yrs old and a native of Aberfeldy. He served his apprenticeship as a Grocer with the old firm of D F Gow&co the Square Aberfeldy. Previous to enlistment in November 1914, was in the employ of a Glasgow firm."

John Munro's service record survives. I would appreciate any further information anyone might have on this man.

Cheers Mike

Hi. It's a small world isn't it? His record exists on Ancestry ( do you have it ) I have seen it.

I have no information on the other medals. I don't have much more on him, other than family members names.

Pte S/15971 6th Bn Cameron Highlanders, Atch'd 45 TMB

SDGW says Enlisted Inverness.

Will pm you, interested in photo of grave and any other info.

Cheers Mike

Mike.. Re: John Munro his Kia date the 6th Bn Cameron's were in the Hoenzollern area. Not much detail only mentions sporadic shelling by both sides. I have attached the 6th Bn Honour Roll. Pte Munro is listed.

post-56-1251304796.jpg

Hi Rob

Thank you again for this wonderful information. I had a look for the other post you mentioned regarding the Battalion movements from 1 August but unfortunately could not find it. I am probably being blind!! Can you give me any further clue as to where it is? At post 126 (where you said it should be) was something totally different!

All the best

Patrick

Hi Rob

Thank you again for this wonderful information. I had a look for the other post you mentioned regarding the Battalion movements from 1 August but unfortunately could not find it. I am probably being blind!! Can you give me any further clue as to where it is? At post 126 (where you said it should be) was something totally different!

All the best

Patrick

Patrick.

I have checked and Post #126. and it does give the details from the 6th Cameron diary from the 1st Aug 1918, till the 7th Aug 1918. Have another look.

Aye Rob.

Gordon. Sorry I missed your post. the narrative if the Diary of the 6th Cameron's from 1st Aug to 7th Aug 1918. Is as follows.

Aug 1st 1918..... At 9.00 am. continued attack on the right front of the Brigade: objectives Soissons-Chateau Thierry Road. left front Company, gained objective, but Right front Company held up. 10.00 pm. Relieved by the 9th Gordon's: Moved to Viercy. 1 Officer Killed; 14 Other Ranks Killed; 30 Other Ranks Wounded.

Aug 2nd 1918....In reserve, 6.30 pm. Huns retiring, So moved forward to Charantigny.

Aug 3rd 1918.....On relief marched to Soucy and bivouacked.

Aug 4th 1918..... 11.00 am marched to Vivieres and embussed at 12. noon.

Aug 5th 1918.....1.00.am arrived Rosoy.

Aug 6th 1918.....4.30.am Battalion entrained at Liancourt.

Aug 7th 1918.....12.noon Battalion detrained at Frevent and embussed to Liancourt.

No entries for the 8th 9th & 10th Aug 1918..

I hope this is of some help to you .

Aye Rob.

Patrick. Post #126. I should have did this in the first place when you could not find it..

Aye Rob.

Is there any simple way to link a regimental number to a date of enrollment? I'm assuming that within each regiment they would be sequential, at least in groups. My grandfather, Alexander McCloy, transferred from the Lovat Scouts 2/2 to the 3rd QOCH as S26538 and then later to the Gordons No. S40633.

Whilst browsing round the site I also found reference to Robert Moore who also went from the Lovat Scouts to the Camerons (S26545) and then Gordons (S40647). Both these numbers are incredibly close to my grandfather's.

I would be grateful for any information that sheds light on when these transfers would have taken place and why.

• 3 weeks later...
So looking at that it appears my Great Uncle served in 2nd Cameron Highlanders in Salonika, transferred most likely through 4th (or 3rd) KRRC before being transfrerred back into the Lovat's with 10th Camerons. Seems like a bureaucratic path.

If I ever get to the Kew medal rolls I'll try to confirm the KRRC battalion.

Hi Scott,

I was back at Kew yesterday and copied the page for you. Send me a PM with your email address and I will get it to you. He went via 3rd KRRC.

Stuart

PM sent Stuart.

Regards,

Scott.

• 3 weeks later...

Militia Battalion - 3rd Bn. QOCH - Special Reserve

I'd be very grateful for any information regarding the men and activities of the Companies of the old Militia Battalion in the Uists that became part of 3rd Bn. Special Reserve in 1908. In particular, I am interested in John MacMillan, Gramsdale, Benbecula (3/3514) and Donald MacDonald (Domnhall Ruadh Choruna), North Uist, number as yet unknown but, possibly, 3599. Thanks in advance, Antony

Hi Guys (and Girls ?),

I'm looking for information on the activity of the 1st Btn Cameron Highlanders on the 25th October 1918 such as where they were during that day. If i'm right, that was the last day of the Battle of the Selle, and also my great uncles last day (see signature).

I'm planning on going down there to see the area and my uncles grave in Le Cateau (I live in Holland, so it's not that far) sometime in the spring of 2010 and would like to retrace his steps.

Also any info on their advance between 17th and 25th October would be very helpfull indeed.

Thanks,

Dave Abrahams

Hi Dave

The 1st Cameron Highlanders battalion war diary is available to download from The National Archives website for £3.50. It should let you know what the battalion was up to that day.

Incidently, William Scales was part of the 4th Cameron Highlanders from 1915-1916. I am researching the 4th Camerons so if there is anything you would like to know about his time with them then please let me know and I'll see if I can help.

All the best

Patrick Watt

Hi Dave

The 1st Cameron Highlanders battalion war diary is available to download from The National Archives website for £3.50. It should let you know what the battalion was up to that day.

Incidently, William Scales was part of the 4th Cameron Highlanders from 1915-1916. I am researching the 4th Camerons so if there is anything you would like to know about his time with them then please let me know and I'll see if I can help.

All the best

Patrick Watt

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the info :D

Just one thing.......... My uncle William was 20 when he died in 1918 so could he have been in the war in 1915 (16 or 17 years old) ?

His battalion is mentioned on his gravestone in Le Cateau as the 1st Cameron Highlanders. Obviously, he could have been transfered, but the stories in the family state he wasn't, although there are no living reletives from that period anymore.

Dave.

Hi Dave

He certainly could have been. Not sure if you have seen his Medal Index Card on Ancestry.com but it states that before he received his service number of 200662 he had the number 3311 - a 4th Camerons Territorial Force Number. It also says he entered France on 21 September 1915 - just in time for the Battle of Loos. I have created a database of men who seved with the 4th Camerons and No3311 would have enlisted around about 22 May 1915 when the 4th Camerons were recruiting in Sheffield.

The 4th Camerons were disbanded in February 1916 and its men transferred to the 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th Battalions (quite a complicated story!). It was very common for the time for boys of 16 and 17 to enlist in the army, generally lying on their attestation papers in order to get to the front quickly. The 4th Camerons sent 5 boys back to the Camerons Base Depot from November 1915 to March 1916 as being underage and it is possible that William Scales was one of those. It is also possible he served right the way through.

Judging from his service numbers and date of entry to theatre he was definietely a 4th Cameron Highlander. I have masses of info on them from their mobilisation to their demise so just let me know if you need any more information. I can also send you a copy of his Medal Index Card if you like. If you don't have a subscription to Ancestry you have to pay to view items.

All the best

Patrick

Dave. The attached map is for the advance of the 1st Bn Camerons 17th 18th October 1918. I will contact you via PM.

Aye Rob.

Edit I cant PM you as you have not enough postings.

post-56-1255631727.jpg

Dave 1st Bn Camerons position 18th Sept 1918. Aye Rob.

post-56-1255633261.jpg

Dave 1st Bn Camerons position 18th Sept 1918. Aye Rob.

Thanks Rob, thats very interesting indeed. BTW, how many postings do i need?

Patrick, I'll get back to you on this ASAP. You seem to have some very good stuff. I'll just have a word with my father about a couple of things.

Dave.

No problem Dave

Either post on here or send me a PM

All the best

Patrick

Dave. Not sure about the amount of posts required. The following is from the History of the 1st Bn Cameron Highlanders.

At 3.30pm, on the 23rd October 1918, in fine weather, companies marched north-east to the village of Mazinghien, and went into billets there. Battalion Headquarters were in a house with a cellar and a tunnel dug down below the cellar. The Germans put high explosive and gas shells into the village daily.

The battalion remained there for the next four days. The 42nd and the Loyal North Lancs, being in the front line.

For their part in the fighting, which began on the 17th October. The Camerons received the Battle Honour " Selle "

I hope this is of some help.

Aye Rob.

Dave. Not sure about the amount of posts required. The following is from the History of the 1st Bn Cameron Highlanders.

At 3.30pm, on the 23rd October 1918, in fine weather, companies marched north-east to the village of Mazinghien, and went into billets there. Battalion Headquarters were in a house with a cellar and a tunnel dug down below the cellar. The Germans put high explosive and gas shells into the village daily.

The battalion remained there for the next four days. The 42nd and the Loyal North Lancs, being in the front line.

For their part in the fighting, which began on the 17th October. The Camerons received the Battle Honour " Selle "

I hope this is of some help.

Aye Rob.

This is certainly very usefull. Thanks a ton. :D

I got a bit more information from my father last night pertaining to events after William's death. Apparently he died from a shrapnel wound after his billet was hit by a shell (This must have been in Mazinghien). He was billeted in a farmhouse. As it turns out, my aunt says she has the piece of shrapnel that caused his demise (I'm going to have to check that out :huh: ).

My great grandmother (Williams mother) wore his kilt under her petticoats until the day she died and Williams mate who went to post Williams letter and escaped death was blamed by her and her sister for Williams death.

Once (and if) i get all the information I can get I'll put a little history together for uncle William and post it, just don't hold your collective breaths coz i reckon it's going to take a while to compile.

Dave.

No problem Dave

Either post on here or send me a PM

All the best

Patrick

Patrick,

I'm interested in any information pertaining to his military history. If you could send me anything at all i'd be immensly in your debt.

I'm doing this research not only for me but for my father, aunt and 3 nephews and none of them are computer savvy. Up to now i'd only found his grave on the CWGC site after some sketchy stories from family members. Unfortunately the credit crunch is causing some cash-flow problems at the moment. I reckon i'd need to fork out somewhere in the region of 200 quid to find the info from scratch. I was unpleasantly surprised at the rate for Ancestory.com. Living here in the Netherlands doesn't help much either. :(

I wish the BBC would ask me to be on "Who do they think they are", you never see a penny being exchanged.

Dave.

Dave,

No problem. Let me have a little look around my stuff and I'll try and get something for you by tonight.

All the best

Patrick

Dave

If you would like to PM me your e-mail address then I will send you what I have typed up about the 4th Camerons and Pte Scales.

Regards

Patrick

[quote name='Wingerdave' date='Oct 16 2009, 08:39 AM'

I got a bit more information from my father last night pertaining to events after William's death. Apparently he died from a shrapnel wound after his billet was hit by a shell (This must have been in Mazinghien). He was billeted in a farmhouse. As it turns out, my aunt says she has the piece of shrapnel that caused his demise.

Dave. Is there any chance that William could have been wounded earlier and DOW on the 25th Oct. I found the following.

" 19th October 1918... The need for a defensive flank no longer existing' companies were ordered to concentrate round Battalion Headquarters near Mal Assise Farm.

There was heavy rain during the night, and the troops, who bivouacked in small shallow dug outs known as "cubby holes" got very wet. Billets were found the next day in the village for "D" company, "C" company went into an old barn, and cover of some kind was obtained for everybody...

Casualty figures for dates 17th to 30th October 1918 other ranks 40 killed or died of wounds and 93 wounded.

I hope this fits in with the rest of your research.

Aye Rob.