Remembered Today:

Queens Own Cameron Highlanders

Rob Bulloch

Hi Ken

Do you have any info on pre war QOCH from the Sutherland area of Scotland

Regards

Allan

Hello Tom,

I can give you the details of 16 or so Mackays/Mckays who served with the 4th Battalion if you are interested.

Also a couple of hundred Mackays who served with the Camerons in ww1.

Ken.

Spoons.

Thanks for posting the pictures, very sad to see this but what is worse he is not alone, I was home early in the year and visited several graveyard's and as I said Pte Charteris is not on his own, But as you said if someone comes up big on the lottery this would be a good way to spend some of it.

Cheers Rob.

• 9 months later...
Guest John H Cameron
I have two photos I took in Bedford of the graves of the following Cameron Highlanders:

1669 Pte James Geddes, 4th Bn, died 13/12/14

1895 Pte Arthur Charker, 4th Bn, died 12/10/14

James Geddes interests me, as he is the only man I can find on SDGW as having enlisted at Culloden. I have made enquiries as to where the recruitment office was in Culloden, but I have drawn a blank.

If anyone wants a scan of the photos then let me have you e-mail address and I'll get them sent off.

'Scots Who Have Died For Their Country'

'....Pte John Headspeath, 6th Cameron Highlanders, who was killed in France, was the youngest of four brothers, all of whom are in France in the same battalion. A tragic incident of his death was that at the same time of the fatal shot one of his brothers was standing by his side, and slightly wounded.'

Hello to the Forum.

Just wondering if some one on the Forum puchased Pte Headspeaths medals or medal on E*** a few weeks ago? I bid on them, and for some unknown reason lost trac of the auction. I saw the medals for sale and knew the name but I could not for the life of me! remember where I had seen this lads name before, it was only when I re-read this older thread that I realized where I had seen his name. I hope it was some one on the Forum that purchased them.

Cheers All Yours Aye Rob.

Hi there

My great-grandfather was a Sergeant in B Company, 1/4th Cameron Highlanders and later a WO Second Class, I think after they were absorbed into 1st Battalion. He was wounded at Soissons (apparently) and invalided home. He was Peter Bruce and he had a service number of 724. Does anyone know where I can find any more information on what they did and when? Perhaps from War Diaries?

I also have a couple of photos from the Territorial days (1911-1913) and a couple from Bedford before they left for the front.

Thanks

Patrick Watt

• 3 months later...

Spent a very pleasant afternoon doing some research yesterday at the Regimental Museum at Fort George. The staff there were very welcoming and helpful and I came away a little wiser about my grandfather's days with the 5th Camerons in 1917 and 1918. Much to my surprise it seems he (and one other guy) transferred to them after what must have been a very brief spell with the 10th (Works) Royal Scots Fusiliers.

Fort George is a wonderful place to visit. I've been several times and never fail to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear gents,

I am proud to be able to say that as of yesterday I have become the temporary custodian of the single victory medal of Pte. Thomas McGregor. His casualty data on CWGC are as follows:

Name: McGREGOR, THOMAS

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cameron Highlanders

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 01/12/1916

Service No: S/18533

Additional information: Son of Mrs Annie McGregor of 7 Newington Rd., Edinburgh and the late Thomas McGregor.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XIV. Q. 10.

Cemetery: OVILLERS MILITARY CEMETERY

I was wondering if any of the resident Cameron experts on the forum would be able to tell me a bit more about this man?

Thanks for your help!

cheers from Flanders

Roel

Roel.

This is all I could find regarding the 1st Bn for the date 1st Dec 1916.

1st DECEMBER 1916

The hutments of High Wood were shelled by the Germans after breakfast and during lunch. Capt Mackenzie RAMC., returned for duty and relieved Capt Macleod, who went to rejoin his hospital,and 2nd Lieutenant J Robertson left to do duty with a brigade fatigue party pushing trollies on the Decauville track. At 2.30 PM. the Camerons moved to the trenches east of the Butte de Warlecourt, taking over from the 1st Bn Gloucestershire Regiment as follows: Front Line, "A" Company on the left "D" Company on the right: Support, "B" and "C" Companies in the cellars in the ruined village of Eaucourt I'Abbay; Battalion Headquarters, in a dugout in the Hexham Road. During the process of taking over the battalion suffered the following casualties; Killed. Sergeant Findlay and three men of "A" Company by a trench-mortar shell; Wounded, 2nd Lieutenant H.M White and two men.

This is all there is for that date. I hope it is of some help to you.

Regards Rob.

• 4 months later...

Have become interested in the the 4th Bn Cameron Highlanders, as in process of researching my 4th local war memorial (their addictive) and hopefully publishing the results from 2 of them soon. In the course of my research there is a series of articles entitled 'With the Camerons' in the local Nairnshire Telegraph newspaper. Was interested in the previous postings on this Battalion and wondered if anyone had a copy of their war diary up to their amalgamation in the 1st Batt in mid 1916.

Hope in the future to transcribe the entries and maybe publish them.

Thanks Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all sorry to but in but i wasn't sure where to post this, thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am trying to find out any information about my husbands father (deceased). I have very little information to go on and this is all I have:

He was named Clarence William Chapman 03 Jun 1924, I believe he was a private in the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders in Inverness which was disbanded on 11th Sep 1946 the number on his army book soldiers service and pay book as far as I can make out, as it is in poor condition is

number 14922844. (There is a possibility that he was in No 8 Holding Battalion) but not sure if this is correct and signed his name as William Chapman.

Any information would be very gratefully received as I am trying to find out more on behalf of my husband.

Thank you once again

• 1 month later...

A terrific thread from 2004.

Belatedly adding that a chap I am researching, one Willie Rollinson, served as Pte 3700 with 1/4th Bn and was among those later sent to 1st Bn. He was renumbered S/43043. A check on "Soldiers Died" shows that a number of men clustered around this number came from West Yorkshire.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am sorry to jump into your convesation, but I have just joined the forum and spotted your interest in the Camerons. I was for eighteen years a Queen's Own Highlander (Seaforth and Cameron). I have original copies of the Camerons Regimental Magazines from 1914 - 1918. They are full of facts and figures and causualty lists etc. You have probably seen them, anyway I was hoping you could help me out with a war diary entry for the 7 Camerons covering 20 -29 Aug 1918. I believe they were around Loos having recently been amalgamated with the 6 battalion. If you don't have access to the magazines I'd be happy to look anything up.

Ian

Can anyone tell me if any of the Cameron Battalions were in the area around Soissons during the war. I have a Sergeant, later Sergeant Major in the Camerons who was wounded there probably some time towards the end of the war and I am trying to identify what battalion he served with.

Cheers

Patrick

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I am currently researching my great Grandfather Lt-Col Alexander FRASER, CO 1/4 Cameron Highlanders, who died at Festubert 18th May 1915.

Yesterday I managed to find the following extract from a link to a soldiers letter that was up for auction in August this year. It appears to be an eyewitness account of his final moments:

'...our poor Colonel [Lt Col Alexander Fraser] has been killed and a Captain and two Lieut: missing and seven other officers wounded. I am frightfully sorry about our Colnel he was one of the finest men you could ever meet and as true ad stell to his regiment. Poor man he was the last to leave the trench and had not got more than three yards from the trench when he was shot through the ankle and then about five yards further on he was shot through the heart..our fellows found they had Huns on the left and right of them and also in front so our fellows were in a box...I had to swim a few times myself and we all had to link hands and pull the fellows who were carrying stuff through still we stumbled on until at last we got to the trench and tehn we heard some one say 'come in' and we found that instead of our fellows they were Germans speaking to us in English. Then they through a search light on to us and opened heavy fire...'

The original link is here if anyone is interested for their own research:

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/Catalogu...em.php?ID=21675

I would be extremely grateful if anyone might have some further information or photos relating to him.

Look forward to any responses!!

thanks

Dom

Hi I am sorry to jump into your convesation, but I have just joined the forum and spotted your interest in the Camerons. I was for eighteen years a Queen's Own Highlander (Seaforth and Cameron). I have original copies of the Camerons Regimental Magazines from 1914 - 1918. They are full of facts and figures and causualty lists etc. You have probably seen them, anyway I was hoping you could help me out with a war diary entry for the 7 Camerons covering 20 -29 Aug 1918. I believe they were around Loos having recently been amalgamated with the 6 battalion. If you don't have access to the magazines I'd be happy to look anything up. Ian

Hi Ian

Would you mind checking your magazines to see if there is anything regarding the destruction of the 1st Battalion's HQ on the Aisne on 25 September 1914 when it was hit by a shell. My great uncle William Moxey was killed was one of those killed in this incident.

Dennis

Ian,

As I am researching my grandfather (Charles Johnston 29625) military history, I would be very grateful if you have any information on the Cameron Highlanders.

He was in France between 27/6/17 and 5/8/18

Having looked at his records he seems to have joined the 7th Battalion on 29/6/17 and then was posted to the 6th Battalion on the 11/6/18 .............and then it says DH?? on 6/8/18 (could that be discharged??) as he was wounded in action (dont know where?) and spent 15 days in hospital in East Leeds W H from 13/8/18 until 28/8/18.

He was finally medically discharged on 17/12/18

Sorry for all the 'bits and pieces' but as I said ...........any information would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Gordon Johnston

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I would like to find out more on my G/Father now that I have found out that he was transfered from the 8th A&SH to the 6th Cameron's on the 6th August 1917

His name is Dugald Bannatyne A/cpl 220035 6th Cameron's

He joined up in March 1914 - 8th A&SH Dugald Bannatyne No 1677 ending up as A/cpl before being transfered to the 6th Cameron's

His medals have his A&SH 1677 A/cpl and name on them?

Can anyone help with this as well. As I was always led to believe he was A&SH throughout the First world War

email calumb@westnet.com.au

Cheers

Jock

Ne Obliviscaris

• 1 month later...
Heads up lads the brothers Headspeath medals are up for sale on ebay.

Gary.F.

Gary. Do you have the E*** item number for the medals I cant seem to locate them

Cheers Rob.

Hello,

I am looking for more info concerning the actions of 2nd Cameron Highlanders in Sanctuary Wood during May 1915

Regards,

Cnock

Hello,

I am looking for more info concerning the actions of 2nd Cameron Highlanders in Sanctuary Wood during May 1915

Regards,

Cnock

Cnock There is good coverage of this particular battle from May 4th 1915 untill 3rd June 1915 in the History of the Cameron Highlanders. I you like I could scan and send the pages to you via Email PM your email addy and I will get them to you asap.

Cheers Rob

Gary Thanks for the number I will check it out. These Headspeath lads medals have been around the block a few times and I have never managed to secure them in auction. Cheers Rob.

Hi Rob,

Could you please tell me if you have anything on the following 2 men?

S/20288 Private James Ruddy

5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders

Died 17/8/1916

S/20288 Private Maurice William O'Connor

5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders

Died 17/8/1916

Buried in Lapugnoy Military Cemetery

They may or may not be the same man, as this is an ongoing mystery, that dates back 2 years now, that I can't find any answers to. Any info will be appreciated. Many thanks.