Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queens Own Cameron Highlanders

Rob Bulloch

Hi Rob,

Could you please tell me if you have anything on the following 2 men?

S/20288 Private James Ruddy

5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders

Died 17/8/1916

S/20288 Private Maurice William O'Connor

5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders

Died 17/8/1916

Buried in Lapugnoy Military Cemetery

They may or may not be the same man, as this is an ongoing mystery, that dates back 2 years now, that I can't find any answers to. Any info will be appreciated. Many thanks.

I have a Pte James Ruddy 20288 5th Bn Cameron's. Born Sherbourne Dorsetshire. a funny thing he has two enlistment area's one for Falkirk Stirlingshire and one Liverpool Lancashire. this lad died of wounds 17/8/1916.

I can't seem to trace O'Connor. I will keep have another look later.

Cheers Rob

Hello Rob,

Many thanks!!!

Much appreciated

Regards,

Cnock

• 3 months later...
Ian,

As I am researching my grandfather (Charles Johnston 29625) military history, I would be very grateful if you have any information on the Cameron Highlanders.

He was in France between 27/6/17 and 5/8/18

Having looked at his records he seems to have joined the 7th Battalion on 29/6/17 and then was posted to the 6th Battalion on the 11/6/18 .............and then it says DH?? on 6/8/18 (could that be discharged??) as he was wounded in action (dont know where?) and spent 15 days in hospital in East Leeds W H from 13/8/18 until 28/8/18.

He was finally medically discharged on 17/12/18

Sorry for all the 'bits and pieces' but as I said ...........any information would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Gordon Johnston

"DH" - probably "Divisional Hospital"

Hello to the Forum.

Are there any members out there with an interest in the QOCH I would be very happy to share Information with members with same interest.

Best Regards to the Forum Rob.

hi rob,

do you have anything on 7725,pte,F,GOODMAN.batt, unknown.

joe.post-2307-1245265599.jpg

hi rob,

do you have anything on 7725,pte,F,GOODMAN.batt, unkown.

joe.post-2307-1245265599.jpg

His name is Francis. His number is 7728, NOT 7725. He entered the theatre of war in France on 19th Dec 1914. He deserted (in 1915, I think) but his medals were restored. His Medal Index Card is available on ancestry.co.uk That's all I can give you for now. Antony

Hi Joe.

Can't add any more information on Pte Goodman other than what Antony already posted. Nice trio by the way getting harder and harder to come by, but! PLEASE take out the staples.

Aye Rob.

Ps Just noticed the writing on the card Cameronian Highlanders ?

Hi Joe.

Can't add any more information on Pte Goodman other than what Antony already posted. Nice trio by the way getting harder and harder to come by, but! PLEASE take out the staples.

Aye Rob.

Ps Just noticed the writing on the card Cameronian Highlanders ?

Hello, Rob: Agree with you on the staples. They'll need to be removed very carefully due to the age of those ribbons. The "Cameronian" bit is a common mistake (as you likely know well). The MIC is quite clear as to Cameron. Cameronians were a Lowland regiment aka Scottish Rifles. All that aside, I'd love to know more about this man - wounded, deserted, stripped of his medals, then restored - a wee lesson on the stress of youth and war? Antony

Hello, Rob: Agree with you on the staples. They'll need to be removed very carefully due to the age of those ribbons. The "Cameronian" bit is a common mistake (as you likely know well). The MIC is quite clear as to Cameron. Cameronians were a Lowland regiment aka Scottish Rifles. All that aside, I'd love to know more about this man - wounded, deserted, stripped of his medals, then restored - a wee lesson on the stress of youth and war? Antony

Antony

Aye a lesson on the stress of war and youth right enough. I like yourself would love to know his life story? I noticed a Pte John MacMillan 7th Camerons in your Memorial was he from Lochmady by any chance?

Do you know where Pte MacMillan was when he was killed ?

Aye Rob.

Antony

Aye a lesson on the stress of war and youth right enough. I like yourself would love to know his life story? I noticed a Pte John MacMillan 7th Camerons in your Memorial was he from Lochmady by any chance?

Do you know where Pte MacMillan was when he was killed ?

Aye Rob.

Hello, Rob: Pte John MacMillan was my wife's uncle. The family is from Gramsdale, Benbecula. John was in B Company and was killed in the attacks that marked the start of what became known as Passchendaele. His MIC shows 3 August 1917 but CWGC shows 31st July. He has no known grave but, depending on the date of death would have been killed somewhere between east of a line north of Hellfire Corner and the new motorway that cuts north-west along the base of Frezenberg ridge. I'm still researching this.

CWGC also directs research to John "McMillan" (no 'a' in Mac) and declares his parents to be "Ronald Alexander and Isabella McMillan". However, this is quite wrong. Ronald's name was Ranald and the family name is MacMillan (with an 'a'). I've already sought correction and am in the process of providing CWGC with more proof that they have mixed John up with Pte James McMillan, also 7 Camerons, from up by Inverness, and whose name appears on the Menin Gate immediately above John's - as it should according to alphabetic order of first names (CWGC doesn't differentiate between Macs and Mcs).

I'm currently researching and writing a book on John and my own uncle, Alex Cunningham.

My wife and I have good friends in Scotland called Bulloch. Gordon used to play rugby for Scotland. Any connection?

Yours, Antony.

Antony.

Tell me about it "Mc Mac" Bulloch with "ch and ck" Murdoch "ch ck" I can see were it would be easy to make a mistake regarding casualty dates, you will no doubt have the figures for the 7th Cameron's. Killed in action Officers seven (7) Other ranks 285 between the 31st July 1917, till the 3rd August 1917. and a bunch of casualties on the 29th July when "Thatch Barn" dump received a direct hit from enemy artillery. Any way you look at it that is big numbers!.

Aye Rob.

Gordon Bulloch. Not a relative but I have watched his career with interest. Next time you talk to him, tell him he has some fans over the pond.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest philnorrey

Good Evening Rob,

I am looking for any information on Thomas (Tommy) Yates, Sjt 9708 my grandfather's cousin. He entered the French theatre on 15 November 1914 (as Lance Corporal), which I assume means he was with 1st Battalion. He won the DCM in 1918 (London Gazette 10364 3 September 1918) at which time he was A/CSM. After the war he remained in the regular army and served in India.

The DCM was awarded 'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during a hostile attack. When all the officers of his company had become a casualty he rallied his platoon under intense enemy bombardment and led them to their position in the line. Throughout, he showed great fearlessness, and set a fine example to his men', but I do not know what in what action.

He was not a Scotsman by birth but was born in Burnley. The family moved to Scotland looking for work although Tommy returned to Burnley for a while and looked after my great grandfather's pigs. Family tradition has it that he came out of military retirement in WW2 and received a commission - presumably there were not many other ex-swineherds in his officers' mess. Sadly he comitted suicide after the War.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give

Phil

Guest philnorrey

Just realised that I misquoted from the London Gazette on Tommy Yates DCM

Should have been 'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during a hostile attack. When all the officers of the company had become casualties he asumed command moving about fearlessly and showing no regard for his personal safety. He reorganised his men, and by skill and energy, he was enabled to inflict severe casualties on the enemy. His fine example was worthy of the highest commendation.

Ian,

As I am researching my grandfather (Charles Johnston 29625) military history, I would be very grateful if you have any information on the Cameron Highlanders.

He was in France between 27/6/17 and 5/8/18

Having looked at his records he seems to have joined the 7th Battalion on 29/6/17 and then was posted to the 6th Battalion on the 11/6/18 .............and then it says DH?? on 6/8/18 (could that be discharged??) as he was wounded in action (dont know where?) and spent 15 days in hospital in East Leeds W H from 13/8/18 until 28/8/18.

He was finally medically discharged on 17/12/18

Sorry for all the 'bits and pieces' but as I said ...........any information would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Gordon Johnston

Stumbled across your post. Don't know if below helps. technically, by the date you mention, 7 Battalion had ceased to exist, most of its men had been posted to other units. Only a cadre joined 6 Battalion.

We now moved north to the Loos sector,

and it was very interesting once more going

over the old ground. We took part in the final

general advance from this area. After the

Armistice we were informed that we were one

of the Divisions that had been chosen for the

Army of Occupation, and we busily prepared

indents for new clothing, etc., in order to make a

good impression. It was decided, however,

that the young Battalions who had corne out

from home should take over this duty. We

were finally billeted in Braine le Comte.

• 1 month later...

"Are there any members out there with an interest in the QOCH I would be very happy to share Information with members with same interest".

Rob,

Do you have any information on Peter Boyle (S/15522) of the 7th Battalion of the Cameron Highlanders. We know he was killed on the 25th of September 1915 at Loos and is buried at Philosophe Cemetery. Any information would be much appreciated.

He also had a brother, Michael O'Boyle killed on the 6th of May 1915 at Ypres - he was in the 2nd battalion.

Thank you

Frank

Frank

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

S/15522 Pte Peter Boyle He was a part of 44th Brigade 15th Scottish Division. 23 years of age born in Dalserf Parish and Enlisted at Hamilton. Son of Michael O'Boyle of Larkhall Lanarkshire Scotland.

Not much I'm afraid.

Aye Rob.

Hello to the Forum.

Are there any members out there with an interest in the QOCH I would be very happy to share Information with members with same interest.

Best Regards to the Forum Rob.

Hi

I am trying to help a friend search for his dads records, Private Henry John (Harry) Povey b Northfleet 1891. I am told that his records are something like.

Northumberland Fusiliers, joining at 16 as a drummer boy, (lying about his age to get in), later becoming cook, then assumed a soldier.

Cameronians, sadly no info can be traced, but apparently he spoke of this often, must be something somewhere.

1917? Gordon Highlanders 51st Division, captured at the Battle of Monns 1917 and taken to Munster, working in the coal mines.

If anyone can help on any of the Regiments it would be brilliant. I have discovered a Medal Card for a Harry Povey of the Gordon Highlanders, but am unsure that it is the correct one. Any info, or any cards or photos would be great.

Many thanks and what a great Forum.

Drummer Boy

Hi

I am trying to help a friend search for his dads records, Private Henry John (Harry) Povey b Northfleet 1891. I am told that his records are something like.

Cameronians, sadly no info can be traced, but apparently he spoke of this often, must be something somewhere.

Drummer Boy,

The Cameronians were a completely different regiment to the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.

Their correct full title was The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and they were a lowland rifle regiment, the Scottish equivalent of the Royal Irish Rifles, the KRRC and The Rifle Brigade.

Cheers,

Mark

Drummer boy.

As Mark pointed out Cameronian SR were indeed a different regiment from the QOCH. It is a mistake that is made on a regular basis. One Regiment being Highland and the other being Lowland. But! saying that in the very early years of the 79th (Off the top of my head) 1793 they were the 79th (Cameronian Volunteers) Regiment of Foot. Then in 1794 changed to 79th (Cameron Highlanders) Regiment of Foot. So there is a connection in the names, albeit a long time ago!!!

Good luck in your search for details of Pte H J Povey.

Aye Rob.

Rob,

Thanks this is very useful. I know he is buried at Philosophe Cemetery off the Bethune/Lens Road and this helps me get an idea of where he was likely to be during the Battle of Loos. This type of research is pretty new to me and so any information is very welcome. Thank you for taking the time to look. Much appreciated.

Frank

Frank. This is an extract from the diary of the 7th Battalion. Cameron Highlanders. It will give you an idea where Pte Boyle was on the 25th September 1915.

September 19th 1915.

Verquin.. Pipe Band played retreat in the square at Bethune. First pipers to do so, loudly cheered by the crowd.

September. 21st. 1915.

Verquin..8.oo pm moved to Vermelles-Grenay branch line of trenches. bombardment of enemy's trenches began that morning...

September 25th. 1915.

Grenay-Vermelles line.. moved off at 4.45am. to the attack. Marched to Quality Street; entered trench southern up. Head of Battalion turned down trench 21 and joined the 9th Black Watch. Gas turned on at 5.50am for 40 minutes.

Assault delivered at 6.30am,by 9th BW. with the Lens Road on the right and the 8th Seaforth on the left...

The 7th Cameron followed in support, the 10th Gordons being in reserve.. Lieut-Col Sandilands DSO., commanded on Hill 70 from 10.00am to 11.00pm., when relieved by Lieut-Col MacLean Royal Scots.

At 8.00pm GOC 46th Brigade arrived at Loos. It was decided that 45th Brigade should hold Hill.70. and that what was left of the Cameron's should withdraw.

At 11.00 pm Lieut-Col Sandilands with 6 Officers and 75 men marched back through Loos to La. Philosophe... The losses for the day were.

4 Officers Killed

6 Officers wounded

4 Officers missing.

64 Other Ranks killed

253 Other Ranks wounded

217 Other Ranks missing.

Total 14 Officers and 534 Other Ranks.

September 26th 1915

Loos battle Battalion ordered to hold the first line of old British trenches. Met large numbers of men of the 21st Division retiring from Loos.. At 1. 00 pm ordered to hold the support line of old German trenches. The 7th dug themselves in on the reverse of the parapet owing to gas rendering the trench untenable.

I Hope this is of some help.

Aye Rob.

Frank. You probably know this already the two lads Peter and Michael O'Boyle are both remembered on the Larkhall War memorial. Larkhall South Lanarkshire.

S/10439. Pte Michael O'Boyle 2nd Battalion Cameron Highlanders 81st brigade 27th Division.

The Battalion was in the Zouave Woods area. a Narrative of the action reads.

For 4 Days there had been practically no rest for officers or men; any time not spent in preparing the new line or marching to reinforce threatened areas had been devoted to digging local defenses round Potijze and Zouve Woods. There had been little respite from shelling, and casualties had averaged from 12 to 15 a Day. It was therefore a tired Battalion that on the night of the 4th and 5th May relieved the 1st Royal Scots in a portion of the new line, to which, on the proceeding night, after the operation had twice been postponed, the 27th 28th and 4th Division had withdrawn.....

This new position, know as the Frezenberg Line, formed a semi-circle of two and a half miles radius round Ypres and pivoting on the East of the 2nd Corp near Hill 60, ran roughly... Sanctuary Wood-East of Hooge-Frezenberg-Mouse Trap Farm-Turco Farm. The 27th Division was on the right with all three Brigades in line.. 82nd,28th,and 80th from right to left

On the 5th May a good many casualties occurred the 6th and 7th May were comparatively quiet.

When the abandoned trenches discovered, and the Germans moved forward. A German Officer who was present has described the abandoned territory as the enemy found it; " The whole countryside is yellow-the battlefield is fearful. A curious sour,heavy, penetrating smell of dead bodies strikes one. Dead. even from last October,lie half in mud, half in yellow leave of root crops. Bodies of cows and pigs lie half decayed; splintered tree stumps of avenues: shell crater after shell crater, on roads and in the fields".

Not a very rosie picture!!!

Again I hope this is of some help it gives you an idea of where Michael was. and what he was going through.

Good luck with your research into these Lads.

Aye Rob.

Rob,

My wife and I are extremely grateful to you for this information about Peter & Michael. My wife teaches history and uses the letter posted to her great Gran (Peter & Michael's sister) to convey to children what this generation of men endured. The letter is dated September 1915 and is very sad as he acknowledges that he has seen a casualty list from Ypres with his brother listed as dead. He states that this was not unexpected and that many of the men are sending personal items home to loved ones. He himself states that he encloses 4 Cameron buttons and a cap badge. He states that other army items like hose/spats have been taken from them as 'army property'. Although the letter is incomplete I am surprised by the sense of realism that the men seem to harbour about their predicament. It is plain that they appear to know that there are few positives about the pending battle.

The O'Boyle family were of Irish descent and that is why my search was complicated. Michael was listed a "Michael Boyle" whilst Peter is listed as "O'Boyle". On the Larkhall Monument they are listed as Peter D Boyle and Michael D Boyle.

Your information will help us when we visit Philosophe Cemetery next year and visit the site of the battle. Indeed, I did not know where to start with research into Michael at Ypres - we are deeply appreciative of this news. Indeed, my wifes father was quite emotional on reading the material as the family were not aware of any of this information until we started trying to trace these relatives this year. Rob - many, many thanks.

Frank

Hi Rob,

Further to my earlier posting (No.92) I would be obliged if you could inform me of what the 'diaries' of the 6th have on or about the dates he was wounded which was sometime around the 5th to the 9th August 1918.

THanks in advance

Gordon