Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queens Own Cameron Highlanders

Rob Bulloch

[quote name='Wingerdave' date='Oct 16 2009, 08:39 AM'

I got a bit more information from my father last night pertaining to events after William's death. Apparently he died from a shrapnel wound after his billet was hit by a shell (This must have been in Mazinghien). He was billeted in a farmhouse. As it turns out, my aunt says she has the piece of shrapnel that caused his demise.

Dave. Is there any chance that William could have been wounded earlier and DOW on the 25th Oct. I found the following.

" 19th October 1918... The need for a defensive flank no longer existing' companies were ordered to concentrate round Battalion Headquarters near Mal Assise Farm.

There was heavy rain during the night, and the troops, who bivouacked in small shallow dug outs known as "cubby holes" got very wet. Billets were found the next day in the village for "D" company, "C" company went into an old barn, and cover of some kind was obtained for everybody...

Casualty figures for dates 17th to 30th October 1918 other ranks 40 killed or died of wounds and 93 wounded.

I hope this fits in with the rest of your research.

Aye Rob.

Rob,

It certainly does fit. That could be the company he was in. I'd hoped he was killed outright by the blast, but as we all know many men lingered for days in excruciating pain. I'll have to interogate the family a bit, but it's very welcome information.

Thank you,

Dave.

Well guys,

Information is coming in hard and fast the last few days........... Just had a chat with my father and it would seem that William had been wounded earlier in the leg.

He was sent back to recover but his "girlfriend" didn't want him to go back to the front so she kicked him in the leg and opened up the wound again, extending his stay by about a month. All to no avail....... the first chance he got he went back to the Regiment. There's patriotism for you !!! Now i'll have to try and find out exactly when that was.

Dave.

Hi there

Not sure if you saw my earlier post but if you can send me a message with your e-mail address I will send you what I have found.

Patrick

I'd hoped he was killed outright by the blast, but as we all know many men lingered for days in excruciating pain.

Soldiers Died in the Great War states that he was 'killed in action' rather than 'died of wounds'. So, on the 25th.

Stuart

Soldiers Died in the Great War states that he was 'killed in action' rather than 'died of wounds'. So, on the 25th.

Stuart

Thank you so much, Stuart. Thats taken a load off my mind.

Dave.

Hi Guys,

Downloaded the War diaries for the 4th Btn and 1st Btn Cameron Highlanders today. This is probably the best 7 quid i've spent in a long time.

It's helped my research no-end and gives me a fantastic insight into troop movements of the time, really very interesting.

Thanks for the tips.

Dave. :D

Hi Guys,

Downloaded the War diaries for the 4th Btn and 1st Btn Cameron Highlanders today. This is probably the best 7 quid i've spent in a long time.

It's helped my research no-end and gives me a fantastic insight into troop movements of the time, really very interesting.

Thanks for the tips.

Dave. :D

Money well spent Dave, I downloaded the diaries of 1st Bn Coldtream Guards, 1st Scots Guards and 1st Black Watch 1914 to 1915 all for 3 pounds 50 pence a little bit hard to decipher at times due to the hand writing, but still great at the price. I have more to download but my email is acting up.

Aye Rob

Glad you got them OK. If you need to know anything else about the 4th Camerons just let me know - I have amassed quite a collection of original sources etc so if you want anything you find clarified just give me a shout.

Patrick

Militia Battalion - 3rd Bn. QOCH - Special Reserve

I'd be very grateful for any information regarding the men and activities of the Companies of the old Militia Battalion in the Uists that became part of 3rd Bn. Special Reserve in 1908. In particular, I am interested in John MacMillan, Gramsdale, Benbecula (3/3514) and Donald MacDonald (Domnhall Ruadh Choruna), North Uist, number as yet unknown but, possibly, 3599. Thanks in advance, Antony

Just hoping for renewed interest in this. Thanks, Antony.

Antony.

Thank you for the very informative PM, my apologies for not getting back to you, a bit of a glitch with my PC. I have found among my books the Roll of Honour for the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion. If you do not already have this I can scan and post it here for you.

Aye Rob

Antony.

Thank you for the very informative PM, my apologies for not getting back to you, a bit of a glitch with my PC. I have found among my books the Roll of Honour for the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion. If you do not already have this I can scan and post it here for you.

Aye Rob

Rob: I'd be very grateful for that and anything else that you or other Pals might have on the activities of the Uist companies of the Cameron Militia (Special Reserve) from 1906 to 1914. John MacMillan was transferred to 7 Camerons when Special Reserve was mobilised but his name may still show. Donald MacDonald survived the War. Yours aye, Antony.

Antony I have attached the Honour Roll for the 3rd Spec Res Bn. not quite in your date bracket but it may be of interest to you. Pte John MacMillan 3/3514 31/7/1917 is on the Roll of the 7th Bn

Aye Rob.

post-56-1256407061.jpg

post-56-1256407080.jpg

Patrick Watt and oldleedsman

My great uncle served with the 6th bn QOCH sadly died of wounds 17th july 1917.

He too initialy volunteered for the Lovat Scouts training near fort William before being sent to france transfering to the 4th Bn QOCH at etaples before being sent to the 6th Bn.

He was from Hamilton and mentions that there are several Hamilton lads at his Base when he was with the 4th Bn.

Patrick any info apreciated.

His details are:

Joined Dec 1915 Lovat Scouts No:3767 (poss 3/1st lovat Scouts)

To France Aug 1916

4th Bn QOCH No:5511

Late 1916 prob Oct Nov to 6th Bn No 40617, 12 Platoon, C Company, 6th Camerons. He is he says lucky enough to be under an officer who has won the Military Cross, a 'good sort of fellow'

Gassed 13th July 1917

Dof W 17th July 1917.

The unit war diarys reveal that for the days in question:

The unit was involved in operations along the Scarpe up until the end of April when they were withdrawn for reorganisation and training. Up to Brigade level training)

On the 8th July they were brought forward to Ypres and moved into support at 'Ecole Ypres' on the 9th where they remain until the 14th when they relieved the 13RS in the front line. They remain in the front until the 19th when they move back to 'Toronto Area'

Main events are on the 12th July - 'Trench Warefare. C Coy bombarded with Gas Shells. Casualties to hosp 4 OR's

13th July - Trench warefare casualties - gassed 5 Off capts Baired & Rowan 2L/T Hunt Kinnear McKinnon 114 OR's.14th july - Battn relieves 13 Rs Appendix 6 Cas wounded 3 OR, to Hosp 9 OR Fr hosp 1 OR 2 LT Cameron to Hosp.

15th July - Battn internal relief apendix 7 Cas wounded 3 OR to Hosp 9 OR from Hosp 1 OR.

16th July - Trench warfare Cas wounded 2LT McCleod & 3 OR. Fr Hosp 2 LT Cameron & 1 OR.

17th July - Trench warfare Cas Wounded 1 OR from Hosp 3 OR.

18th July Trench Warfare cas Killed 1 OR wounded 13 OR Fr Hosp 3 OR.

Does anyone know of a book that was published of the letters sent home by a 6th Bn Officer (possibly a Captain), I remember glancing through it when it came out about 10 years ago but sadly was not in a position to buy.

Sadly the officer was killed and tragically his wife and daughter were killed in the flu pandemic after the war.

If you know of the book details i'd be greatfull.

James. I had a look at the Honour Roll for the 6th Bn Cameron's there is a L/Cpl with that D of W date. J M J. I noticed you did not add his name to your post. But if this is your man he was remembered on the Dalziel UF North Church Motherwell's War Memorial. You may well have this information already

Aye Rob.

Rob,

yes thats him John Johnstone (forgot to add name - silly me)

Thanks for info I did not know on which memorial he is named, will have to go and look.

Hi James

I have not say I am not sure about the book by the 6th Camerons Officer but I have an idea. Captain A F P Christison was an officer with the 6th Camerons who won the MC as a Lieutenant in 1915 and again in 1917 by which time he was a Captain. Don't know if he wrote a book but his papers are deposited with the Imperial War Museum in London. They are really quick and helpful with queries if you wanted to get in touch with them. Additionally, several other officers of the 6th Camerons also won the MC so he might not be your man. But maybe worth a look.

As for your relative's time with the 4th Camerons I would imagine he was part of the large draft of men posted to the Cameron Base at Etaples on 1 August 1916 prior to their attachment with either the 1st, 5th, 6th or 7th Camerons. The 4th Camerons at this time being little more than 100 men in strenght manning the 19th Infantry Base Depot in Etaples. They supplied 2 drafts of men to the 6th Camerons around the time you think your relative joined - 240men on the 19 September and a further 67 men on 5 October. I imagine he trained with the 2/4th or 3/4th Camerons in Ripon or Norfolk.

Can I ask where you got your information from - It looks pretty comprehensive!!

All the best

Patrick

Antony I have attached the Honour Roll for the 3rd Spec Res Bn. not quite in your date bracket but it may be of interest to you. Pte John MacMillan 3/3514 31/7/1917 is on the Roll of the 7th Bn

Aye Rob.

Thanks, Rob: most of them seemed to have died at home. Interesting. Yours aye, Antony

Patrick

Thanks for info

First source are some letters from john to his brother (my grandfather) which gives the personel info including the changing army numbers. A note book by a relative which was writen in 1918 and lists all the family adresses and service details in 1918.( 5 brothers who all served).

The CWWG for his grave which I visited many years ago

and last but not least the unit war diary. I was fortunate to be able to spend a couple of days reading it at the regimental museum, Fort George. Very helpfull staff.

Sobering moment when reading about the battle of the scarpe, they had a trench map which was issued to an officer of the 7th BN. It had his name on and a date so was obviously issued for that battle. Sadly same officer was killed just days latter. Quite a thought to realise that the last person to look at the map in detail was killed so soon after!

I took some copies of the diary covering the battle of the scarpe and july 1917. Sadly scaner is not working so getting copies to you might be a bit tricky.

James

To all

the book was published by a distant relative of the officer who was killed at ypres in 1917, It is possible that he may have been in the clergy or undertaken religous training.

Quite fustrating as when i saw the book it was a casual intrest and now of course when details are forgotten very relevant.

James

Rob,

yes thats him John Johnstone (forgot to add name - silly me)

Thanks for info I did not know on which memorial he is named, will have to go and look.

James.

I am sorry to say, the the United Free Church Memorial may no longer be in existence. it changed to the Dalziel North Church in 1929, then Dalziel Parish Church in 1973. The building was listed in 1971 and is now in semi-ecclesiastical use by the Gospel Literature Outreach Centre. Muir St Motherwell. The Memorial may or may not still be in exsistance.

Aye Rob.

Hello to the Forum.

Are there any members out there with an interest in the QOCH I would be very happy to share Information with members with same interest.

Best Regards to the Forum Rob.

Hi Bob,

S/40617 L/Cpl. John M. JOHNSTONE Cameron Highlanders 6th Bn.

John died of wounds on Tuesday 17th July 1917 in the Ypres Salient. He was 26 years of age and was part of 45th Brigade 15th Scottish Division and had formerly served with the Lovat Scouts No. 3767. John was born in Hamilton enlisted at Glasgow and resided in Hamilton. He was the son of James and Janet Johnstone, of Gaswork Cottage, Motherwell. he is buried in -

DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY, Belgium. Plot I. Row G. Grave No. 8.

joeoraw31

Yes thats my great uncle as per info in my previous posts above.

can you help with any info regarding the book?

The officer in question may have come from the motherwell / hamilton area.

The memorial refered to by ROB is acording to the war memorial web site now stored at coatbridge in the heritage centre. So I will have to go along and try and find it.

James.

Great to know the Dalziel UF Church memorial is still in existence. If you locate it could you please post a photograph. Good luck with your research. Thanks in advance...... Aye Rob.