Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queens Own Cameron Highlanders

Rob Bulloch

(PS: Never afraid to pay for it of course, you should see my yearly research bill; Lets put it this way...I have to hide it from my wife!)

Correction. You have to hide it from your wife AND DAUGHTER! :lol:

'The Edinburgh Evening News' -Sat. December 4, 1915, Page 5

The Evening News will be available from the National Library of Scotland and as I am going there for some other info I'll see if I can get a photocopy.

I have no details of QOCH but have followed this thread with interest. It's nice to see the forum working well.

Aye

Malcolm

Rob

Thanks for your offer. I will PM you.

Regards

Jimmy

A work colleagues G/Grandfather died on the first day of the Somme at High Wood. He knows he served with the Camerons and thinks 4/5th Bn?

Can anyone advise the battalion from the location ?

Thanks

Atholl

The 1/, 5/, 6/ and 7/Cameron Highlanders were all involved in some way in and around High Wood. But no-one got near it on July 1st, 1916 - the first day of the Battle of the Somme. So I'm afraid I cannot help on the basis of the location.

Robert

AthollHighlander,

I have the 1st Battalion War Diary for July 1916 which has come from the National Archives.

It states that on the 1st July 1916 they were in BULLY GRENAY and that on the 2nd July they relieved the Black Watch in CALONNE (right front).

I will contact you off forum and send a scanned image of the War Diary.

Best regards.

Paul Mitchell Friend.

• 1 month later...
Guest ianlivingston

Hello to all,

I have just discovered this sight and in particular this thread regarding the Cameron Highlanders. I am interested in my Great Grandfather S/30509 Private John Campbell of th 5th Bn. Cameron Highlanders. I know he died on 05/10/1918 and is laid to rest in Haringhe(Banaghem) military cemetery. I also have a copy of his medal card.

I am interested in finding out as much as I can about who he served with (friends, formations) where he was stationed. In fact. Anything about him or the battalion would be great, including photographs. I seem to have spent a long time getting no where searching down rabbit holes.

Kind regards.

Ian Livingston

REME

• 4 weeks later...

I would be gratefull if ANYONE with pics or post cards of the QOCH(especialy the 1st Batt) would email me copies

Yours Aye

John Todd

E-mail. no1toddy@aol.com

• 1 month later...
Guest Peter Campbell

Good Evening all

A most interesting thread this one.

My Grandfather was Drummer Alex Campbell (number 34) . He enlisted on 21 April 1908 and was discharged on 10 April 1916 having been badly gassed. I have a collection of postcards which he sent back from France and photographs which are all of the pipeband both in Bedford and France. I also have a copy of the Battalions war diary. I am quite happy to make copies of these items for serious research.

I have a good bit of knowledge of the Battalion but most of it has come to me in the traditional Highland way,by word of mouth, and might not be entirely accurate. Quite a few of the 1/4 pipeband had been in the "catch my pals" pipeband (which I understand to have been a temperance group) Sadly few made it back to Inverness unscathed.

Regards

Peter Campbell

Ross Shire

Peter,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure your postcards would provide much interest to the members here.

Hello Peter.

I would dearly love a copy of your postcards. I will contact you off Forum.

Yours Aye Rob. B

Guest Peter Campbell

Thank you both for your welcome

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask.

Does anyone have my Grandfathers full service number? I know that the last two numbers were 34 (he always saw these as his lucky numbers).Some of his enlistment details are in my previous post.

Can anyone shed any light on a Sgt Macleod of D Company 1/4th?

Regards

Peter Campbell

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scottajpeter

Hi

My Great Grandfather John Milne was a regular soldier with the 2nd battalion QOCH and was out in India when war broke out in Aug 1914. He arrived in France on 19th December 1914. I would love to find out more about the 2nd Battalion during the Great War.

I have a copy of the Battalion diary for January 1915 and would be willing to swap info with other members if interested.

Cheers.

Scott

Edinburgh

• 2 months later...
Guest smiglet

hello to you all just to add my part to the conversation i have just been given my g grandfathers medals private a smith 2994 1st cameron highlanders would love to find out more he wasnt killed in the war but from his medals he was very active also have a great photo but what isnt clear is that he was a birmingham lad does this make sense ? any ideas would be welcomed thanks carl

After nearly a year of researching into my 'birth' family and a little help on the way from forum members, I have received the first picture of my Grandfather.

He was Private Mitchell Kirkaldy of the 1st Battalion Cameron Highlanders (Regt no. 9731). He is the young man standing on the extreme left of the group.

Mitchell's military history sheet tells me he was wounded on the 31/03/1916 when they were somewhere near S MAROC after relieving the Black Watch from the front line.

He returned to England on the 06/04/1916 and was eventually discharged on the 04/09/1916. I am assuming that the building they are standing in front of was for soldiers convalescing

Paul Mitchell Friend.

post-3375-1115674842.jpg

Here is a closer shot showing his uniforn. Is this typical 1st Cameron Highlander dress.

Sorry about the size of attachment, I cannot seem to be able to shrink it yet.

Paul Michell Friend.

post-3375-1115675592.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Researching my Great Uncle Pte Hugh Williamson 6th btn Cameron Highlanders died 18th July 1917 S/27708 Anyone have a photo that would be marvellous.

Also could anyone tell me if that was significant with the attack on messines Ridge?

Thanks Lynnie

Does anyone have the Battalion Diary for the 5th Battalion?

I'm interested in the entry for the 25th September, 1915 - the first day of Loos.

Derek.

I have the narrative of the 5th Cameron on the 25th Sept, but it is a large entry for that date, could you tell me what you are looking for and I will see if I can help.

Cheers Rob.

Derek.

PM on its way Re; Williams.

Cheers Rob.

Thanks Rob. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rob

I do have an interest in the QOCH but i really dont know where to start :blink:

ok here goes

My Grandfather was in the reserve Seaforth battalion No. S/10940 but he went overseas to another Seaforth regiment No. 33907 was badly wounded at the Somme and was pensioned out of the Army after about 8 months he re-applied to join the QOCH telling them he had never been in the army and was accepted where he reached the rank of sergeant (Photo Attached) his name was Benjamin Macleod from Altass, Sutherland but i cannot seem to find anything on him at all so i am looking for any info i can get.

Regards

Allan

Hello to the Forum.

Are there any members out there with an interest in the QOCH I would be very happy to share Information with members with same interest.

Best Regards to the Forum Rob.

post-16772-1165265766.jpg

Hello there everybody,

This is my first post on this site.............probably due to reading to many threads.

Right, my question is ...can anyone out there help me find out more about my grandfather.

All I have about him is his name :- Charles Johnston, born 15-4-1888 in Kirkbuddo, Angus. Scotland, and the world war one info is written around the edge of his medals:- S 29525 Acting Corporal : C Johnston ,Camerons

I would be obliged for any assistance in how I can source more information on him and what theatre of war he was active in

Many thanks for any help

Gordon Johnston

• 2 weeks later...
Rob - over a period of many years I've compiled an almost day-by-day account of 1/4th Bn from the eve of the declaration of war till their (effective) disbandment at Etaples in 1916. Then ditto 1st Bn QOCH from early Sept 1916, when the big drafts of 1/4th Bn men joined, through till Nov 1917 when my grandfather was wounded - my grandfather being the point of the exercise, of course.

War diaries up to Corps level, CAB45, etc, newspapers, privately published works, manuscripts at IWM, regimental journals, etc etc - squatting outside Fort George waiting for them to open-up the archive (and the horrors of Inverness b&b's !), and must mention the Highland Folk Museum at Kigussie, whose archive yeilded some very good material. ............... And the printed off version is now a 3 inch thick pile of A4 sheets. The intention was always to publish, but things like having to work keep getting in the way.

I also have a database of all of (I think) the 19/2/15 Officers and Men, with info added as and when it is found - I've still got the whole of WO363 and most of WO374 to go through, so there is plenty of scope for the 3 inch pile to grow. Photos are, as you are aware, the big problem. I've made several appeals in Highland papers over the years, with very little success.

Always on the look-out for letters, diaries, things like that, and photos of course, if you could bear that in mind. If there is anything operations wise, or any particular person you may want to know about, then let me know.

regards - Tom

Poem Cha Til Maccruimein (Departure of the 4th Camerons) was written by Lt E A MacKkintosh 5th Seaforths, who watched them depart for France from Bedford in 1915. In Mackintosh's 'A Highland Regiment' and in 'Can't Shoot a Man With a Cold' There is archive film of 4th Camerons in Scottish Film Archive Colin Campbell

I hope someone might be interested in a grave of a Cameron Highlander in a sad state in Dunscore (Kirkcudbrightshire) :( I spoke to a very elderly lady resident and she commented "Charteris?, aye, they're all gone" so it appears there is no-one to arrange to have the damage repaired. I will drop a line to the Regimental Association but I fear they will have no funds.

I post it here on the very unlikely chance that someone with an interest in the Regiment has a lottery win and is wondering how to use it ;) (Close up of inscription on following post)

post-16685-1166617269.jpg