Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Buffs Database is complete

Michael

Hi Micheal,

Just wondering what do you have on this man?

Leon Lorden Ackerman was born and lived at Lynsted, Kent and enlisted at Sittingbourne, Kent. He was killed in action in France and Flanders on 1 July 1916 whilst serving with the 7th Battalion, East Kent Regiment.

Many thanks

Regards

Ackerman joined the Buffs in the 2nd week of December 1914 and was allocated to the 7th Battalion. He went overseas with them on 28/7/1915. He only served with the 7th Buffs and died with them on 1/7/1916.

Mick

Hi Michael

Would you be able to help with a couple of Buffs from the Frittenden memorial. I wondered if you had dates/places of enlistment and also dates of arrival in France for:

Private Eli Chapman - G/4930 of 2nd Btn - KIA on 2 May 1915.

Private Edward Croucher - G/4856 of 6th Btn - 9 April 1916 - I have a press cutting regarding his death which I can scan and e-mail if you would like it.

Private Charles Hickmott - G/13770 of 1st Btn - 5 March 1915

Private Frank H Murrell - S/9429 of 6th Btn - 17 October 1916 - Frank was one of 6 brothers who served and his brother William of the Grenadier Guards died 9 days after him - again I have a press cutting which I can scan if you'd like it.

Finally, I have a Reginald Percy Earl Smith who served with the 1st Btn The Buffs under number 3894 and who seems to have transferred to Royal Fusiliers (with service number 653388) where he died of wounds on 16 August 1916.

Any additional information would be most appreciated.

VicMill

I was thrilled to discover my grandfather's service record on Ancestry just last night, after trying unsuccessfully for several months to find any information on him. I'd come to the sad conclusion that his Service Record had been destroyed during the Blitz. And I was fascinated to see that he was in The Buffs, allbeit for just a short duration - considering he was from Bristol, I would never have thought that!

Joseph James Higgins - attested in Bristol on 2 December 1915

Originally assigned to the Royal Berkshire Regiment on 30 May 1916. Service number 24352.

He appears to have been moved around quite a bit during the first 6 months.

Service number subsequently changed to 12723 (presumably on transfer to Buffs)

Embarked Southampton: 26 Sept. 1916

Disembarked Rouen: 27 Sept. 1916

Transferred to 1st Bn. East Kent Regt (ACT1499/1916): 7 Oct 1916

To 170 Tunn. Coy: 28 Dec 1916

Rejoined 1st Bn: 12 Jan 1917

Wounded in Action: 2 June 1917

Admitted to Casualty Clearing Station: 2 Jun 1917

To England per HS Stad Antwerpen: 10 June 1917

Following his injury, his discharge as 'no longer physically fit for war service' was approved on 26 Feb 1918

This is all I know. My mum always used to say that he had a severe injury to a shoulder and was gassed but I really don't know anything for certain. If anyone can fill in any details, I would be extremely grateful.

Glossie

Glossie

Higgins. The service record says it all really but I can add a few details. He was one of 110 other ranks who left the Battalion to join the tunnelling company on 28/12/1916. I do not know the cirumstances surrounding this transfer. When he was wounded the Battalion was at Hulluch near Loos. On 2/6/1917 three other ranks were wounded. The circumstances are not given.

VicMill

Chapman. Joined 1st half of December 1914 at Ashford. Arrived in France 23/2/1915 to join 2nd Bn. Born and lived at Cranbrook. Killed in action.

Croucher. Joined last week of November 1914 at Ashford. Arrived in France 12/5/1915 to join 2nd Bn and later transferred to 6th Bn. Born and lived at Frittenden. Died of wounds.

Hickmott. Joined last week of December 1916 at Ashford. Do not know date of arrival. Served with 1st Bn. Born and lived at Frittenden. Killed in action on 5/3/1917 with B Company, not 1915. Three killed on same day and eleven wounded.

Murrell. Joined the Special Reserve last week of December 1910 at Staplehurst. Arrived in France 14/7/1915 to join 1st Bn and later transferred to 6th Bn. Born and lived at Frittenden. Killed in action on 7/10/1916 at Guedecourt, not 17/10/1916. Killed, wounded and missing for the day = 347.

Smith. His number was G13703. Joined last week of December 1916 at Cranbrook. Do not know Buffs Bn but later transferred to Royal Fusiliers.

I would be grateful for any scans you have. My address is mink@the-buwws.nom (Substitute the two w's for f's and the two n's for c's)

Mick

Mick

Many thanks for this. I'll get the scans over to you in the next few days.

Vic

Guest Knightness

Hi im new to this site ,

Hoping that you maybe able to help, I believe my great grandfather was in The Buffs or as i think it was later called the East Kent Regimemt.

His name was Thomas George Knight b 1866/7 (ramsgate i think). In 1903 he married and it states he was a solider, distant family say he was in The Buffs.

He died in 1945 Death certificate states he was a Chelsea pensioner.

Any advice or information about him would be greatly appreciated.

LadyKnight

LadyKnight

There were no TG Knights in the Buffs during WW1. there were some Thomas Knights but none with a service number low enough for pre war service. I have looked through the Boer War roll and cannot find any there. Unfortunately most of my other pre WW1 sources are not yet indexed so I'm afraid I can't help much at the moment. The closest I can get is a Corporal Thomas Knight who was with the 1st Battalion at the Relief of Chitral in 1895. He had service number 2272 which would indicate an enlistment in mid 1887. He was also at Punjab Frontier in 1897/8.

You might find his service record in WO97 at Kew

Mick

PS Its the other way round; they were known as The Buffs before their association with East Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick

I hope you can provide some details from your database about the following 6th Royal West Kent Soldier please

Corporal John Harrison 202894, KIA August 9th 1918. Previously from a Worcestershire battalion (regimental number 21400)

Many thanks for your help

Alec

Hi Mick,

I'm new to this forum, but am very impressed with the collective knowledge. I work at the Kent Archives in Maidstone and am currently digitizing a glass plate negative collection that was found in a old fireplace of a shop in Sevenoaks. The shop was once the photographic studio of Charles and Henry Essenhigh-Corke, and of the 1000 odd negatives discovered about half were of a military nature (mainly studio portraits). Once digitized, parts of the collection will be exhibited at Sevenoaks library, and after that will be made avaliable to the public. I've started a thread in the 'soldiers' section, titled 'negatives found in fireplace', and have been amazed at the response. Plates showing men from the Kentish regiments (or men from Kent in other regiments) will form the core of the exhibition. For The Buffs we found plates with the following names:

2nd.Lt. Weldon

officer Ackland

Medic/Bandsman? Franks

C. Smith 2/5th Battalion

Slate 5th Battalion

C.W. Smith

Could I please ask you to look up these names on your database? You would of course be credited in the exhibition for any information recieved. It would be marvellous to put the full identities to these photographs which have remained hidden for so long.

Many thanks,

Jonathan Barker.

Jonathon

We must be on the same wavelength; I have just made a reply on your thread. I will look deeper into Weldon as he is the only 100% identification.

Mick

Alec

My database is for the East Kents rather than the West Kents. Try sending a message to Jonathon Saunders who is working on the men from the wrong side of the Medway.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Fantastic effort re completing db here is some info on one soldier which I have got as part of research into men from my local town who served / died etc in the Great War. Thought I would send if any of the below is new info for your db, equally so can you point out if I have made any glaring errors.

Thanks Neil.

ALDRIDGE, Ernest

Company Sergeant Major G/870. 7th Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

55th Infantry Brigade, 18th (Eastern) Division.

Born in Lichfield, Staffordshire, the son of Joseph and Mary Aldridge, of 13, Holland street, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. He had three brothers Charles, Frederick, and Robert and two sisters Nellie and Alice. At the time of enlistment he was living in Cadishead, Lancashire and was employed as a dining car attendant.

Enlisted on the 6th September 1914 at St. Pancras, Middlesex. His description was recorded as 5’7 ½”, fresh complexion, brown hair and brown eyes, 144 lbs., Religious denomination Church of England. On the same day as enlistment he was sent to the Buffs Depot at Canterbury and posted to the 7th Battalion, joining it on the 8th September. On the 11th November he was appointed L/Cpl. On the 20th February 1915 he was promoted Cpl and on the 27th April appointed unpaid L/Sgt. On the 29th May promoted to paid L/Sgt.

He embarked for France with the Battalion on the 28th July 1915. On the 1st July 1916 he was promoted to Sgt. On the 13th July he was severely wounded by GSW’s in the left shoulder and arm, two days later he was sent back to England on board Hospital Ship “Australia” and spent a total of 48 days, from the 16th July until 1st September, in a Military Hospital. He then proceeded on sick leave and on the 2nd September he married Emily Howard (of 152, Liverpool Road, Cadishead) at Hollinfare, near Cadishead.

On the 29th September he was posted to the 3rd Bn of the Buffs which was stationed at Dover on Garrison duties, he remained here until early 1917. On the 3rd March 1917 he returned to France and joined the 38th Infantry Base Depot being posted to the 1st Buffs the same day, although this was only brief as on the 24th March he was posted back to his original battalion, the 7th Buffs. On the 7th May 1917 he was appointed acting CSM.

KIA Friday, 12th October 1917 aged 27 near Poelcappelle, during the first battle of Passchendaele. Tyne Cot Memorial. Awarded the 15 star trio.

Neil

He is mentioned as being wounded in the Sept 1916 edition of the Dragon (the regimental journal).

I visited the battlefield where he died last year. They had a pretty tough time of it. The Battalion had late notice of the attack and their assembly trenches were nothing more than shell holes. The artillery barrage was poor. Communication inevitably broke down and they got hit by machine gune fire as they attacked. Any attempts at fire and movement were impossible due to the state of the ground.

Here is a panorama of the starting line. The road is actually straight but the panorama makes it look banana shaped. We are looking forward from the junction of D Company on the left towards Poelcapelle Church and C Company on the right towards Gloster Farm. A Company were behind us to the right and B Company behind us to the left.

post-174-1216714378.jpg

Mick

Hi Mick - would you please have anything on the enlistment date of 19050 Private Charles Holloway 6th Buffs who died on 1 December 1917?

I purchased a small bundle of his letters, dog tag, pocket diary etc at Beltring last week. There is some biographical detail which I will post on this thread in due course, but no indication of when he enlisted.

Hello Michael,

Your project sounds a marvellous achievement. In my research I have only one soldier from the regiment:

Private Charles Sharrod died 21.3.1918.

He was born in Streethay which is located about a 1 1/2 mile outside the city of Lichfield and worked aas a market gardener. He is also recorded on two memorials in the city. Does your database have any further information

Thank

JPG

Charles

Nice find. How come I never see anything like that? He joined The Buffs late Oct / early Nov 1916. He only served with the 6th Buffs.

JPG

Sharrod only served with the 1st Buffs. He joined the Regiment in approx Nov / Dec 1917 (possibly as an 18 year old from 98 Training Reserve Battalion, although I can't be sure at the moment).

Mick

I have a copy news article with photo re the death of Frank Denis Taylor, 7th Buffs, KIA 18/09/18. Let me know if its any use to your db.

Thanks Neil

Hello Michael

Need you help and any info on

10338 Pte W. R. Clark

Do you know which East kent battalion he may have served with?

He later served in the MGC and was killed in some time in 1916

As always in you debt

Regards

CK

CK

I don't know for sure but as he died with the 16Bn Machine Gun Corps, my guess would be 1st Buffs. I have 41 men who went overseas on 14/4/1915 and 25 of them were 1st Buffs, the others were 2nd Buffs. He was one of those that signed on as a regular after the war started (approx 25/11/1914). For the date of transfer you'd have to ask an MGC enthusiast.

Mick

Hello Michael,

Do you have anything on Company Sergeant Major W. J. Field? I know he was wounded late in the war. I just acquired his photo and it shows him in his hospital 'uniform'. The image was dated December 14, 1918. Thanks for your help.

John

John

I saw the photo but didn't bid on it. His papers are online so I won't prattle on about his career.

He was awarded the DCM in May 1917 for rendering invaluable assistance by bringing up reinforcements during an enemy attack.

His wound was picked up on 17/4/1918 when the 1st Battalion were heavily shelled at Westhoek. 13 others were also wounded.