Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Buffs Database is complete

Michael

Hello Mick, what a fantastic piece of research and hopefully which may help me.

The memorial I am researching carries the name of Harry Wyett, he was G/7223, a Private serving with the 6th Bn. when he was kia on 15 August 1917. He's buried in Monchy British Cemetery. He was entitled to the Victory & British medals. Is there anything else you can tell me please.

Keith

Keith

Wyett joined the Buffs in March 1916 although he may have attested earlier in 1915 as part of the Derby Scheme. He only served with the 6th Battalion and they were in trenches east of Monchy le Preux on 15/8/1917. The diary notes that it was a very quiet day and that Bridoon Lane was lightly barraged by enemy whizz bangs at 5pm. The Battalion had been clearing salvage in Bridoon Lane the previous day although it was about half a mile from their front line companies in Hook Trench. He was the only casualty of the day.

Mick

Hi Michael,

Could you look up a soldier for me? I recently acquired a remembrance card for a soldier who was killed in action. His name was Albert Chenery. He was a private supposedly with the Buffs. However, the CWCC has him listed as a member of 2nd Battalion Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment. His service number is listed as 24733 and he made the supreme sacrifice on March 14, 1917. The death date is the same on the card as on the CWCC site, so I'm pretty sure it's the same soldier. Just curious about the difference in the units he was supposedly with.

John

John

He wasn't in The Buffs. The number 24733 was issued to William Hammence of the 2nd Buffs and they were never re-issued. The number would also indicate an enlistment in The Buffs of approx Sept 1917.

It's possible he served with The Buffs with another number and transferred before going overseas

Mick

Michael,

Do you have anyone in the 10th (Royal East Kent and West Kent Yeomanry) Bn, the Buffs (joined 74th Yeomanry Division February 1917) called

Nelson Harrison

and

Archie Blair?

Thankyou

Kate

Hi Michael,

Is there any record of an Albert Chenery serving with the Buffs at all? Could the CWCC have gotten his service number wrong? Thanks for your help.

John

Would you mind doing a "lookup" for William McGuiness, born Stockwell in 1886, probably a pre WW1 regular.

He survived the war, dying in Southwark in 1971.

He was my wife's uncle, and we have a family group photo taken in 1905, where he was obviously inserted in uniform at a later date.

I am new to this forum, but appreciate the work you've put into your database. I am transcribing records for the Mormon Church and know how difficult old, faded, handwriting can be.

Maurice

Kate

No Nelson Harrisons but there were these Harrisons

Frank Harrison 2956 1/1BN REKMR & 270423 10th Buffs

JN Harrison 1644 1/1BN W Kent Yeo & 270804 10th Buffs. To theatre 2B 24/9/15. Disembodied 20/3/19.

LM Harrison 1585 1/1BN REKMR & 270074 10th Buffs. To theatre 2B 24/9/15. Disembodied 14/2/19.

RS Harrisons 1130 1/1BN W Kent Yeo & R406272 ASC & 270704 Buffs & 202858 Cheshire Regiment.

No Blairs who fit the criteria

John

I checked SDGW and it notes that Chenery formerly served as 9575 in The Buffs. This would have a prefix G because L was in use. He therefore transferred before going overseas. He joined The Buffs in March 1916, although he may have attested earlier as a Derby Man.

Maurice

No McGuiness's in The Buffs overseas during WW1 I'm afraid

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Mick,

Any information on Buffs no. 202444 would be great!

According to the MIC this was Pte Edward A FOWLER, formerly 32272 East Lancs Regt.

Trouble is, E Lancs 32272 Edward A Fowler is listed in GRO War Deaths as having died in 1917. I can't find him on CWGC under either number (checking GRO for the In From The Cold Project), so I'm wondering if he's a non-comm.

When would the number 202444 have been issued? Grateful for any leads you may have!

Adrian

Adrian

I only have the MIC details. He isn't on The Buffs medal rolls so wasn't with them at the end. I can't help with the date of number allocation because I'm not up to speed with TF numbers yet. The number wasn't allocated to anyone else.

Mick

Hi Mick

Now that your database is complete, is there any other information you can provide me on Frederick Higgs. G/4778 2nd Btn. East Kent Regiment (The Buffs). He served in France from 27/4/1915 until his date of death 28/5/1915 in Ypres. He is one of the missing and his name is on the Menin Gate memorial. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that his service records survived although I know from his Medal Card that he qualified for the trio. The only other personal information I have is from SDGW. Many thanks. Linda

Michael

Could be so kind as to help me with the following Buffs

G/15625 Huckstepp Thomas DOD 04/10/1916 7th Bn. Commemorated at Thieval .

Also my grandfather Richard John Wood who was in Mesopotamia in 1916 – all I have about him is a letter to my Grandmother dated December 1916 where he mentions how sad it was to hear about her brother Thomas being killed in France – I know nothing else about his service record except he was also in the Buffs.

Do you know if anyone has done the same for WWII buffs as my father was in the TA in Ashford in 1939, and I know very little about his service record either except he went to Iceland ?

Regards

Gary

Linda

Higgs joined The Buffs in November 1914. He arrived in france on 27/4/1915 and joined the 2nd Battalion. He was killed in action with them on 28/4/1915. On that day the Brigade was being relieved at Potijze. Apparently it was a quiet day only occassionally interrupted by whizz bangs or the attention of a sniper; 31 were killed.

Gary

Huckstepp was aged 20 when he died and was the younger son of Mr and Mrs G Huckstepp of Boughton Lees. He was killed by a shell and died instantaneously according to a letter sent to his sister Mrs RJ Wood (who I guess is your grandmother!). He had previously served with the Kent Cyclist Battalion and had served with the 7th Buffs since his arrival in France in July 1916. He left a brother serving in France and a brother-in-law in Egypt (your grandfather). He was born in Eastwell, Ashford and enlisted at Wye.

The only possibility I have for your grandfather is Richard Wood T241005 Buffs and 48955 Northumberland Fusiliers. As he transferred out the regiment I do not have any more info on him.

I haven't done a WW2 database yet

Mick

Hi Mick,

Great, thanks for the help. So Chenery had joined the Buffs originally, but before heading to France, he transferred to the West Surrey Regiment. Is that right? Thanks again for all your help.

John

Hi Mick

Is it possible from your database that you could provide me with a list of men/reg nos from 2nd Btn, who also died on the same day 28 May 1915 as Frederick Higgs?

The reason for asking is that although Frederick Higgs has no known grave, I would like to try to find which cemeteries other men were buried in around that time. If there is a common theme, then I would like to think that Frederick is perhaps in an unmarked grave at the same location.

I do so hope that you can help me again.

Kind regards

Linda

Linda

Here they are

Cemetery Surname Forename

Menin Gate Memorial BARNES WILLIAM JAMES

Menin Gate Memorial BATCHELOR THOMAS ALFRED

Menin Gate Memorial BROWN WALTER RALPH

Menin Gate Memorial COPPIN WALTER READER

Menin Gate Memorial DAVEY THOMAS

Menin Gate Memorial DREW EDWIN JOSEPH

Menin Gate Memorial EDWARDS WALTER

Menin Gate Memorial FOSTER WILLIAM JAMES

Sanctuary Wood Cemetery GOATHAM CHARLES HENRY

Menin Gate Memorial GREEN GEORGE

Menin Gate Memorial HEARN WILLIAM JOHN

Menin Gate Memorial HIGGS FREDERICK

Menin Gate Memorial HOVER ERNEST ALBERT

Menin Gate Memorial HOWELL HERBERT

Menin Gate Memorial IRELAND GEORGE

Menin Gate Memorial JESSOP HENRY ARTHUR

Menin Gate Memorial MANNINGS CARLTON

Menin Gate Memorial McQUILLIAN SAMUEL

Menin Gate Memorial MURDOCK ALBERT VICTOR

Menin Gate Memorial NAYLOR ARTHUR W. H.

Menin Gate Memorial ROBINSON JAMES

Menin Gate Memorial ROBINSON WILLIAM

Menin Gate Memorial SIMMONDS CHARLES ALFRED

Menin Gate Memorial STEVENS FREDERICK ARTHUR

Menin Gate Memorial STEVENS PERCY WILLIAM

Menin Gate Memorial TIDMARSH WILLIAM GUY

Menin Gate Memorial TINGEY WILLIAM

Menin Gate Memorial TURNER STANLEY EDGAR

Menin Gate Memorial VEITCH HENRY JOHN

Menin Gate Memorial WILLIAMS WILLIAM GEORGE

Menin Gate Memorial WOODWARD HERBERT HOWARD

Mick

Mick

I wonder if you could see what information you have on 3332 Pte Arthur Dormer, 1/5th East Kents, died 25/6/16 Mesopotamia.

Many thanks for your wonderful work!

Michael,

I wish to create a roll for 8/Buffs prior to their partcipation at Loos. If you could suggest sources and methodologies that would be great.

Many thanks,

Stephen Garnett