Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Buffs Database is complete

Michael

Hi Michael,

Do you have any information, etc., on the following, please, who was awarded the MSM [LG 16.8.17].

240113 Pte C.S. BENSTEAD, 1/5 E. Kent R. T.F.

Ian.

Ian

BENSTEAD was from Hamstreet and joined the 5th Buffs in the first half of 1913 or possibly late 1912. He went overseas with them, arriving at Basra on 6/12/1915. He was reported wounded in the local press in Feb 1916. He transferred at some stage to the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Piltdown Man

Thanks for the photo of GOODCHILD

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mick,

I hope you can help me with some information on my great uncle. He died in 1964 before I was born so I had no chance to ask him about his war years. I have his 1915 trio and have been to the regimental museum but they could find no information about him. His name is PTE 2335 Frank Bennett and I believe he was in the 1st 4th Territorials but apart from that I have no more information. It would be great if you had some more information on him.

Cheers Neil

If you're still willing to do look ups, please would you tell me what information you have about Pte George Hewson, G/3956? He was with the 8th battalion and he died at Loos on 26/9/1915.

Thank you,

Poppies

Look ups for individuals can be posted on this thread.

Mick

Neil

Bennet was a 23 year old grocer's assistant when he joined The Buffs at Hythe in September 1914. He was born in St Andrews, Cambridge. He was orginally in the 4th Buffs and was with them when they arrived in Aden in August 1915. They had been in India previously but it was in Aden that they qualifid for the 1914/15 Star. He was transferrd to the 5th Buffs for service in Mesopotamia, arriving at Basra on 10/10/1916 as was common for the 4th Bn. He was admitted to hospital in Amara in October 1916 with malaria and discharged the following month. He was promoted to LCpl on 27/3/1917. He was in a casualty claering station in November 1917 for 3 months with 'pyronitis knee'. His address on discharge on 6/5/1919 was his father's (Charles) at 2 Belvoir Rd, Defreville Estate, Chesterton, Cambridge. He had a brother, Harry, living in Bedford. It is no surprise that the museum had no info as they hold no records there.

Poppies

Hewson was born in Paddington joined The Buffs at Kilburn in early September 1914 and was posted to the 8th Battalion and went overseas with them on 5/8/1915. As you know, he died at Loos on 26/9/1915.

John

Thanks for posting the photo of Field.

Mick

Mick

Well done, a fine job indeed

I have a chap from my village served in the Buffs

Private George Howe

Born in Walsingham, enlisted Norwich 1896, Living in Walsingham

G/25982, Ist Battalion, East Kent Regiment (Buffs)

Killed in action on Thursday 7th October 1918 age 34

Son of Alfred and Mary Ann Howe, of Coker's Hill, Little Walsingham;

husband of Margaret Mary Long (formerly Howe), of Church St., Walsingham, Norfolk.

BELLICOURT BRITISH CEMETERY, Cambrai , France

Grave Ref/Panel VI. P. 2.

howeel2.jpg

I wondered if you had any further info. I spoke to his niece a little while back.

She's amazed what we've been able to find out this much. Ninety years since his death this Oct 7th.

many thanks

chris

Wow Michael what a data base you have set up !!!!

Ive just purchased a single BWM to an East Kent man. Do you have any info on him ??

Here are the details:

Thomas William Maybourne PTE 202222

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA

James

Chris

Howe's service number equates to late May 1918. I don't think he had served overseas prior to this. Do you have details of his earlier service?

His only service was with the 1st Buffs. On 7/10/1918, 2 men (Howe and Pack) were killed as the Battalion moved up from Magny la Fosse to Preselle Farm in preparation for a major attack on Beauregard the following morning.

post-174-1221859025.jpg

Could you post a larger picture of him please

Mick

James

The only info I have for Maybourne is that he only served with the 5th Battalion. He didn't have an early TF number before going overseas so this must have been after the change to 6 figure numbers in 1917.

He was only entitled to the BWM so probably only saw service in India

Mick

Michael

many thanks

probably best to go direct to my website for pic , that is all the info I have on him-

http://www.walsingham-memories.co.uk/war/1...ngham/howe.html

begins at

http://www.walsingham-memories.co.uk/war

need also to check his record - he did not enlist in 1896 ! - will amend

coincidentally my mum lives in the house next door to where he lived !

regards

chris

ps update - Private Howe was born at Little Walsingham, 13th July 1885 and educated at Little Walsingham School. He enlisted 24th May 1918 and was killed in action in France, 7th October 1918

also checking the details of the other chap (Pack) killed with him I found

Private Sydney Robert Pack

G/5535- age 19

Son of Emma Pack, of 5, High Dewar Rd., Rainham, Kent, and the late Leonard Pack.

7/10/18

Pvt Samuel Pack

G/6274 Ist Bttn Buffs

21/3/18

Arras Memorial

Pvt Joseph Henry Pack

T/270284 age 32

(2302). 10th (R. East Kent and West Kent Yeomanry) Bn.

Son of Alice Elizabeth Pack, of 22, Hatherley Gardens, East Ham, London, and the late Joseph Pack; husband of the late Alice Eliza Pack.

Loos Meorial

2302). 10th (R. East Kent and West Kent Yeomanry) Bn.

plus 6 others beginning with Pack

James

The only info I have for Maybourne is that he only served with the 5th Battalion. He didn't have an early TF number before going overseas so this must have been after the change to 6 figure numbers in 1917.

He was only entitled to the BWM so probably only saw service in India

Mick

Thanks Mick.

Top man.

Regards

James

Hi Mick

What a marvellous achievement, have just read through all 9 pages, you certainly have helped a lot of people so far, hope you will be able to help me.

Uncle's father - Morton H Larkin; East Kent R. No 25555, then The Queens R. No G/79292. I've taken this from the medal index card but have no other info. Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve

Chris

That's probably the best photo I've seen of a WW1 soldier. I think the black background brings out the character in his face as opposed to the tacky backgrounds you normally see.

Steve

As Larkin transferred out of the Buffs I do not have any unit details for him. I would estimate that he joined The Buffs in February 1918, but you would need to consult a Queen's enthusiast to try and find the date of transfer to them.

Mick

Mick

Anything on these two gratefully received

Private Charles Jones s/151

2nd Lt Edwin Richard Sansom

I have their CWGC and SDGW details but anything else would be appreciated. Both are commemorated on the Polytechnic memorial: I can get a picture of Private Jones from the Polymag if you are interested.

Thanks

Tony

Tony

Charles Jones (CG Jones on the medal rolls) was a Special Reservist who joined The Buffs at Newhaven in the third week of August 1914. He went overseas with the 2nd Battalion and at some stage transferred to the 1st Battalion. He died of wounds on 25/6/1917 and is buried in Philosophe Brit Cem. He was born and lived at Marylebone. I've no idea why he chose The Buffs or why he went to Newhaven to join them!

Sansom was commissioned on 28/11/1917 into the 4th Buffs. He was obviously attached to one of the battalions serving on the western front but I'm not sure which one. I have a feeling he was with the 1st or 7th Buffs because they were in the vicinity of the location of his grave in late October 1918.

I would be grateful if you could post the image of Jones

Mick

Tony

Charles Jones (CG Jones on the medal rolls) was a Special Reservist who joined The Buffs at Newhaven in the third week of August 1914. He went overseas with the 2nd Battalion and at some stage transferred to the 1st Battalion. He died of wounds on 25/6/1917 and is buried in Philosophe Brit Cem. He was born and lived at Marylebone. I've no idea why he chose The Buffs or why he went to Newhaven to join them!

Sansom was commissioned on 28/11/1917 into the 4th Buffs. He was obviously attached to one of the battalions serving on the western front but I'm not sure which one. I have a feeling he was with the 1st or 7th Buffs because they were in the vicinity of the location of his grave in late October 1918.

I would be grateful if you could post the image of Jones

Mick

Thanks for this. The Jones info makes sense he is listed as being on the staff of the Polytechnic Works Department (the Poly's main building was at 309 Regent St just down the road from the BBC). Can't see a Newhaven connection but I will recheck the Polymag and Roll for info. The Poly roll has an entry for Sansom that indicates he was originally 5th Seaforth Highlanders (can't find an MIC card for him).

I'll get a the picture of JOnes to you (but it will probably be a couple of weeks)

an entry for Sansom that indicates he was originally 5th Seaforth Highlanders

I missed that one. He has an MIC but it's not on Ancestry yet. He was Private 3559 in the Seaforth Highlanders.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Mick

I wonder if you could shed any light on this guy I am researching with regards to battalion served with, likely date of enlistment etc. plus any other information about him and his service with the Buffs

Information from MIC:

1612 Private George Marsden Popple

Theatre of war : 5a (Asiatic)

Date of entry therein 26/8/15

15 Star Roll E/2/2 B5 PAge 357

Remarks: on R&F roll 6/2/102 B15/2477 - this may refer to BWM & VM which I presume would be Northumberlnd Fusiliers into which he was commissioned on 31/12/15

Many thanks

Peter

Peter

Popple joined the 5th Buffs on 1/9/1914 probably at Ashford. The Battalion arrived in Basra on 6/12/1915 which qualified them for the 1914/15 star. I notice that Popple qualified for his on 26/8/1915 along with three others. Maybe they were attached to another unit.

The remarks on the MIC refer to his BWM/VM entry in the Buffs rolls and actually start with B/2/102

His service record (WO339/52275) may help further.

Mick