Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Buffs Database is complete

Michael

Gary

There were 2 other E Beaneys in The Buffs during WW1. It is more likely to be one of them because your Beaney didn't join the regiment until Aug/Sept 1916. The other 2, Ernest Beaney and EW Beaney, were both overseas long before August 1916.

Here is the image from the War Dragon of August 1916

post-174-1234097979.jpg

Mick

Hi Mick

Just wanted to say thanks for your help in looking for the Beaneys, and to apologise for the late response to this post, I got side tracked going down another line of the family, and then had to finish the extention we have just built.

I am sorry to hear you might leave the forum, looking through the posts you have helped so many people.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best.

Regard's,

Gary.

Michael,

To date I haven't had to call upon your knowledge or the vast dbase you have compiled. I would however plead with you not to leave us. The information you share with us is invaluable! Please reconsider?

John

I was just logging on to ask a question about a soldier in the Buffs, and saw your decision. Sad indeed if you leave, the database is invaluable and I would again like to thank you for the times you have helped out with my men from the Buffs in the past. Hope you redecide, "Steady the Buffs".

This was the man I was seeking what battalion(s) he served with, but fully understand if you prefer not to answer,

Kind regards,

Lars

Medal card of Treeton, Ernest

Corps Regiment No Rank

East Kent Regiment 2473 Private

East Kent Regiment 242991 Private

East Kent Regiment L/12083 Private

Found this on another webpage on Army Service Numbers for the buffs: "Men who, during the war, continued to enlist under regular 7&5 terms, were issued with numbers in continuation of the series above. Their numbers were prefixed with the letter L/.

Thus, for example, L/10356 joined up for seven years with the colours and five on the reserve, on 13th December 1914. "

Source: http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/search?q=buffs

ATB,

Lars

With the info above it looks like he enlisted as a regular at some stage (1917 or later?) but it would really need somone with expert knowledge on the Buff's to say with authority.

Sorry not to able to help more,

Lars

Lars you've been a huge help thanks so much.

ive always thought he was a regular soldier.

pete

With the info above it looks like he enlisted as a regular at some stage (1917 or later?) but it would really need somone with expert knowledge on the Buff's to say with authority.

Sorry not to able to help more,

Lars

ive always thought he was a regular soldier.

Pete

He was, but not initially. The first two numbers 2473 & 242991 indicate that he was originally a Territorial Soldier, the six-digit number being from the block of numbers allocated to the 5th Battalion on renumbering of the Territorial Force in 1917.

The L/ prefixed number was used by those regiments in No.10 Regimental District (plus Royal Fusiliers), which included the East Kent Regiment, to denote a Regular Soldier.

A quick search of Ancestry shows that L/12057 was issued on July 18th 1919. So Ernest with a number 26 after that one enlisted as a Regular sometime after then. Terms of enlistment appear to be 12 years (9 with the colours and 3 on reserve).

Regards

Steve

edit: I've added the same detail to your other thread too.

Pete

12 years from his enlistment (as a regular) in 1919, so fully discharged in 1931 unless he opted to extend his service.

Regards

Steve

wow cheers steve that does amaze me it really does.

never realised my great great uncle served for so long.

where would his service records be held?

pete

Pete

They should be with the MOD, details can be found here..... http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Regards

Steve

p.s. There is an ouside possibility that he didn't serve for 12 years as there was an option, within three months of his enlistment, to buy himself out of the service but we have no way of knowing that from his number alone.

Nigel

I'm a bit short of time so here are some notes on Neame. I'm grateful to Joe (Promenade) for some of this info

DOB 28/4/1885 Chipstead Surrey

Second son of Frank Neame of Mackinade, Herbert River, Queensland

Application to join Buffs (or failing that the West Kents) 15/8/1914

Height 70 ½ inches

Weight 145 lbs

Very good physique

Served in Cheltenham College Cadet Corps and for 4 years in HAC

Brother HB Neame in RFC

Wife Phyllis Neame (married 27/2/1916) born 12/10/1896, daughter of J Preston Bell

The Gables

Chipstead

Neame was killed when half of his Company (D Company) was to sent to help with the final objective of the 7th Queen's (Royal West Surrey).

At about 12:30 it became evident that the Queens had lost heavily on the line of the Mametz-Montauban Rd with their right on the orchard. The commanding officer of the Queens was doubtful that he was strong enough on his left. The Buffs sent up 2 platoons of D Company under Captain Neame to reinforce the left of the Queens and to fill the gaps existing between the 55th and 53rd Brigades. This was succesful and the whole line advanced and occupied the Montauban Alley.

Effects returned

Identity bracelet

A spray of heather

Pieces of ladies dress material (wedding dress maybe)

Pocket wallet containg photos and newspaper cuttings

Gold ring

Card case

Gold chain and cross

Wrist watch with glass damaged

Letters and a photo

He was also a first cousin of Philip Neame who was in action at Gommecourt on the same day. Incidentally, it's Macknade, not Mackinade. Macknade is a house on the outskirts of Faversham that we rented for a number of generations until about ten years ago. The name would naturally have been used by Frank when he emigrated to Australia.

• 3 months later...
I've now completed the transcription of the BWM and VM rolls for the Buffs. After a five year slog I now have the 1914 star, 1914/15 star and SWB rolls. Combined with the MIC index, SDGW/CWGC and various other tables there are now 1,032,880 cells populated on the database. I am confident it includes every man who served overseas with the Buffs.

Now I need to decide what to do with the database. Do I publish it, put on the internet, etc? In the meantime, I have previously offered lookups for completed rolls and am now offering the same for the BWM / VM roll. There are obviously a lot of men who transferred into the Buffs from other Regiments / Corps so if you send me your email address I can supply a small spreadsheet with your area of interest. Do not send me a private message as the inbox gets filled up quickly. Look ups for individuals can be posted on this thread.

Mick

Hi i am trying to find out some information on a Leonard A Pearce who joined the 4th Buffs on the 2nd June 1916 in Tonbridge,he was based in Wilderness Camp in Sevenoaks,then move to Scotland Hill,Canterbury..He was transferred to the 32nd Royal Fusiliers on Sept 30th 1917 and joined the 24th Royal Fusiliers on August 4th 1918...any more information would be gadly accepted...thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
Guest kelmscot1
I've now completed the transcription of the BWM and VM rolls for the Buffs. After a five year slog I now have the 1914 star, 1914/15 star and SWB rolls. Combined with the MIC index, SDGW/CWGC and various other tables there are now 1,032,880 cells populated on the database. I am confident it includes every man who served overseas with the Buffs.

Now I need to decide what to do with the database. Do I publish it, put on the internet, etc? In the meantime, I have previously offered lookups for completed rolls and am now offering the same for the BWM / VM roll. There are obviously a lot of men who transferred into the Buffs from other Regiments / Corps so if you send me your email address I can supply a small spreadsheet with your area of interest. Do not send me a private message as the inbox gets filled up quickly. Look ups for individuals can be posted on this thread.

Mick

I am in total awe of the work you have done and the amount of information you have been able to supply. I am hoping you can help a novice from Australia trying to track some information on my step grandfather. I have located him on the British WW1 Medal Roll but cannot locate any service records or other information for him. His details are:

Ernest Trice (born Catford, Kent, 1889) served with 2nd Battalion, Royal West Kent Regiment, Peshawar (1911) No 8796 and then "R.E. Kents" No 262429.

That is all the information I have on him and would appreciate any advice on where else I should be searching to find information in him and his unit.

Thank you very much.

Robin

Mick

Hi Mick can you help me out with my ancestor Bertie James parnell? This is what I have -

Bert James Parnell -

Queens Royal Regiment West Surrey 45740

8th Labour Corps - Employment Company 73551

Birth Place: Ospringe, Kent

Next of Kin: William Parnell & Charlotte Jane Collingwood

63 Rye Lane, Peckham & Ospringe Street

Attestation Location: Canterbury, Kent

Attestation date: 21 Jan 1917 (27 years 231 days)

Address on Attestation: Ospringe Street

Height: 5 foot 6

Chest: 36 inches (Range of expansion 2 & 1/2 inches)

Weight: 134 Ibs

(Acting Farrier)

Lance Corporal

73551 Labour Corps UK

73551 Labour Corps FRANCE

Timeline:

29 Jan 1916 Attestation

11 Dec 1915 Home to 13 Mar 1917

21 Feb 1917 Posted to Queens Royal West Surrey (5th Labour Coy)

14 Mar 1917 BEF (France)

1 Jan 1918 Leave from H.Q. 18th Corps

20 Feb 1918 Posted to 839 Area Employment Coy

31 Jul 1918 Attatched to 8 Corps H.Q.

23 Aug 1918 Posted to 737 AE Company

27 Nov 1918 Marriage to Charlotte Jane Collingwood at Parish Church, Ospringe, Kent

2 Dec 1919 Volounteered to stay on (73551 - 51 Veterinary Section) Present unit 755 Area ? ? As a Shoeing Smith by this ?

31 May 1919 Leave to the UK

12 Feb 1919 Posted to 276 AE Coy

29 Feb 1919 Posted to 755 AE Coy

7 Feb 1920 Tested and Appointed Lance Corporal

12 Apr 1920 Discharged

Medals:

Victory Medal (Supp) Roll: LC/102 B4 Page; 302

British War Medal Roll: LC/102 B4 Page; 302

Discharged: ?

I have got a feeling he was with the East Kent Regiment (the buffs) until he was transferred to the west surreys / labour corps.

You may be able to confirm this and if he was would you be able to see if you have any records for him?

post-53777-1272720403.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dear Michael,

Do you have any information on a Lt/Capt W A Harrison of the East Kent Regiment? I'm trying to help a guy in Australia track down an elusive Harrison and it's been suggested that this might be him. I suspect it's a long shot, but anything is worth a go as it's a complete dead end at the moment.

Thanks

Dave Swarbrick

• 1 month later...
Guest MatthewR

Hello

I would be ever so grateful if you could please give me some info on a great great grandparent whom I have discovered was in the Buffs during the Boer War.

His name was Francis Frank Shoesmith, born in 1869/70 in Sheerness, Kent.

Any info would be really appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Michael,

Do you have anything on FREDERICK HARRY HYLAND killed with the M.G.C. 18 Feb. 1917, but shown as previously 5442 East Kents?

Thank you,

The other Michael

• 2 months later...

Michael

You helped me once before in finging details of a James Bowen 4890 in the Buffs. Is it possible that you also have a record of an older brother called Arthur Bowen. I have found an A Bowen with the army no 4900 but cannot find his first name to confirm it. Arthur was born about 1872.

This is the record that I have. Boer War 1899-1902 - Soldier details

Name: BOWEN, A

Unit: 2 Battalion The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Notes: [Anglo-Boer War Memorials Project] Initial 'C'

Literary references:

Memorial: Dane John Park. Memorial. Buffs and East Kent IY Canterbury Kent England

Casualty details:

Killed on 30 Oct 1901 at Bakenlaagte (Official casualty roll location: Brakenlaagte)

Unit:

2 Battalion The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Source:

South African Field Force. JB Hayward & Sons

Gazetteer:

[2628: 2620-2907] a farm in the South African Republic (Kriel district; Mpumalanga), 38 km north-west of Bethal. Variant: Brakenlaagte (incorrect spelling used by Wilson and Doyle). The rearguard of Col F.W. Benson's column was attacked on 30 October 1901 by burghers under the command of Cmdt-Gen L. Botha, Veg-Gen J.N.H. Grobler and Cmdt J.D. Opperman. In intensive fighting the British lost 66 men killed (including Benson) and 165 wounded as well as two guns. But the main column entrenched and was able to return to its base. In the charge across Onverwacht, Opperman (despite Pakenham) was not killed here, but wounded. Although described as the action at Bakenlaagte, it was fought entirely on Onverwacht and Nooitgedacht farms. HMG IV pp.304-15 (maps nos.56 and 57); Times V pp.365-376 (map facing p.374); Pakenham p.568; Wilson IV pp.825-839 (map on p.822); Doyle p.671.

Regards

Mike Reeve

• 8 months later...
Guest wbutcheruk2

Hello,

Does anyone have any information on:

Luther James Martin - Private G/526 - 5th Buffs

he was my great grandfather and all i've found is his medal card no enlisments details or photos.

His medal card states 1915 in france.

I have a few other members from this time as well.

cheers.

wbutcheruk2

Thank you for the update Jon. As you say, this seems a suitable point to close this thread to new traffic.