Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Buffs Database is complete

Michael

I am looking for any information on Wilfred Salisbury. His MIC says Middlesex Regiment No 61447 and Buffs (East Kent) 7th Bn G/14547. He died 18 September 1918 in France on Vis-En-Artois Memorial. His parents were Joseph and Mary Salisbury of Waverton, Cheshire

Salisbury served with the 6th Middlesex in the UK then transferred to the 4th Middlesex on 24 July 1918 at an IBD when he went overseas. He transferred to the Buffs in August 1918, serving with the 7th Battalion. Approximately 60 other men transferred from the 4th Middlesex at the same time. Ten of those men died during their short time on the Western Front.

Mick

MB

Dowsett served with the 8th and 6th Buffs having joined the regiment in August 1916. He survived the war.

Warren joined the Buffs in January 1915 with number T3500. He served with the 5th Battalion and was renumbered to 241418. He was discharged with sickness on 6/9/1919 as a Lance Corporal

Nigel

Here is Neame. I have lots of info on him but not enough time to post it at the moment. I will post more within the next few days.

post-174-1251576274.jpg

Mick

Nigel

I'm a bit short of time so here are some notes on Neame. I'm grateful to Joe (Promenade) for some of this info

DOB 28/4/1885 Chipstead Surrey

Second son of Frank Neame of Mackinade, Herbert River, Queensland

Application to join Buffs (or failing that the West Kents) 15/8/1914

Height 70 ½ inches

Weight 145 lbs

Very good physique

Served in Cheltenham College Cadet Corps and for 4 years in HAC

Brother HB Neame in RFC

Wife Phyllis Neame (married 27/2/1916) born 12/10/1896, daughter of J Preston Bell

The Gables

Chipstead

Neame was killed when half of his Company (D Company) was to sent to help with the final objective of the 7th Queen's (Royal West Surrey).

At about 12:30 it became evident that the Queens had lost heavily on the line of the Mametz-Montauban Rd with their right on the orchard. The commanding officer of the Queens was doubtful that he was strong enough on his left. The Buffs sent up 2 platoons of D Company under Captain Neame to reinforce the left of the Queens and to fill the gaps existing between the 55th and 53rd Brigades. This was succesful and the whole line advanced and occupied the Montauban Alley.

Effects returned

Identity bracelet

A spray of heather

Pieces of ladies dress material (wedding dress maybe)

Pocket wallet containg photos and newspaper cuttings

Gold ring

Card case

Gold chain and cross

Wrist watch with glass damaged

Letters and a photo

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible for you to check on a William Beavis - #4268 who was with 2nd Btn. The Buffs. Thanks for all the work you put into this.

There were two named William Beavis who served overseas with The Buffs but neither match your man

A/CSM William Beavis T129 and T200016 of the 4th Buffs

Pte William Beavis G24920 and L11501 of the 10th and 6th Buffs

I've now completed the transcription of the BWM and VM rolls for the Buffs. After a five year slog I now have the 1914 star, 1914/15 star and SWB rolls. Combined with the MIC index, SDGW/CWGC and various other tables there are now 1,032,880 cells populated on the database. I am confident it includes every man who served overseas with the Buffs.

Now I need to decide what to do with the database. Do I publish it, put on the internet, etc? In the meantime, I have previously offered lookups for completed rolls and am now offering the same for the BWM / VM roll. There are obviously a lot of men who transferred into the Buffs from other Regiments / Corps so if you send me your email address I can supply a small spreadsheet with your area of interest. Do not send me a private message as the inbox gets filled up quickly. Look ups for individuals can be posted on this thread.

Mick

Hi Mick

Any chance of looking up G/9869 Private Harry Cheshire 6 Buffs for me? Thanks

Richard

Richard

Cheshire joined the Buffs in April 1916 and went overseas to join the 6th Battalion

He was wounded by a shot wound to the right posterior and captured on 4/8/1916 and died on 25/8/1916 in German hands at Caudry where he was buried.

Mick

hi could you please do a look up for me on G/3416 PTE L.E. HILL DATE OF ENTRY 31/8/1915

could have been wounded as i have photo of him in his hospital blues.

would be greatful foe any other info.

Michael,

Do you have anything on

Lance Corporal FRANK CLIFTON

G/7332, 7th Bn., The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

who died on 04 August 1917

Remembered with honour

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

He was a music hall artiste with a group called the Edison Trio

and

PENGELLY Henry

East Kent Regiment 21175 Private

Labour Corps 425354 Private

who was wounded in March 1918, but I don't know who he was serving with at the time.

Thanks

Kate

Hi Mick

I hope the following is of interest:

The following four Buffs are listed on the York 1918 AVL. The layout is as follows:

Name, reg. number, rank, battalion, number on AVL roll, address, voting ward on AVL.

Rumney, William Edward, 20211, L/Cpl, 8 Bn., 2013, White Cross road, 16, Bootham Ward, C

Hasthwaite, John, G-20080, 2 Bn., 2737, Scott street, 3, Castlegate Ward, F

Beale, Oswald Victor, 20842, Pte., 10 Bn., 4367, The Mount, 107, Micklegate Ward, L

Hanson, William, 14719, Pte., 6 Bn., 5314, Bright Street, 38, Micklegate Ward, O

Regards

Steve

Kate

Clifton joined the Buffs in March 1916. He served with the 1st and 7th Battalions. His medals were returned for some reason. He was born in Brockley, enlisted at St Helens and had an address at Harrow when he died. On the day that he died the 7th Buffs were in trenches near Bodmin Copse in the Ypres Salient. The war diary notes that an enemy barrage took place during the day.

I have nothing on Pengelly I'm afraid

Steve

Thanks for the names. Every bit of info is useful

Mick

I think Clifton's death notice was placed by his wife, so presumably she returned the medals, or perhaps they had moved on without a forwarding address when the medals arrived. If I get any further info I'll pass it on. Many thanks Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick

Have you any information on the following please:

Walter Edmund Beard Private L/9960, 1st Battalion

Percy Albert Edwards Private L/9876, 2nd Battalion

Lionel Webb Private G/9076, 8th Battalion

Percy Smith Private G/9702, 2nd Battalion

Thanks in anticipation

Keith

Hi

I am trying to find out about my Great Grandad 492 13349 charles william rew he has the victory medal and star 15 according to archives , he survided was casivaced to uk stockport we think any further info would be great appreciated

A little Info From Staffs Archive Service.

From List of Soldiers Eligible for commeration on Lichfield War Memorial.

No: 25266

Name: Charles Sharrod

Regt: 39th I.B.D. 1st. Buffs Regt.

Date and Place of Death: 21st Mar 1918, K.I.A.

Informant: Thomas Sharrod.

Address: 165 Beacon St. Lichfield.

24th Apr 1920

Alan

Hay Michael!

Could you see if you got any info on this man please...

Pte Thomas Bucklen - 8954

Thank you,

Keith (I presume you have all the SDGW/CWGC details)

Beard joined The Buffs in Feb 1913. He went overseas with the 1st Bn on 7/9/1914.

Edwards joined The Buffs in Sept/Oct 1912. He went overseas with the 2nd Bn on 17/1/1915.

Webb joined The Buffs in December 1915 and went overseas in May, serving with the 8th Bn. He was the fourth son of mr and mrs J Webb of Hook House Brenzett and was aged 21 when he died. He formerly worked for Mr WF Hobbs.

Smith joined The Buffs in early/mod 1916 and only served with the 2nd Bn

Kangarew

There is no trace of your man overseas in The Buffs during WW1

Ghost

Thanks for the detail - its all important

Lisa

Bucklen joined The Buffs in the third quarter of 1908. He went overseas with the 2nd Buffs on 17/1/1915 and later transferred to the Machine Gun Corps. I don't know when this was. Was he a local lad?

Mick

Thanks Mick I do indeed have the SDGW/CWGC details and thanks for the rest of the info. I am doing a Remembrance Service at the school these men attended as children and am trying to get as much info as possible, this will be very helpful

Keith

Thanks for the details...

Yeah Thomas; born in Chatham around 1890 and married my G G Uncle's 2nd Cusion.

I might be able to see if a relative has more information, they have been in contact with me, so worth a try.

Will let you know! :)

Edit: Been in contact, they don't know anymore information

• 4 weeks later...

Great work well done , Mick , A look up please on a 2/lt Douglas Hendin Welsh 1st buffs any info on him thanks

MC

Michael,

would you please reconsider your decision to leave the forum? I understand that a thoughtless remark by a forum member may have caused offence; but I am sure that other forum members will join me in saying that your contribution has been invaluable and the time that you have spent answering members queries has been much appreciated. Please reconsider.

Sincerely,

Simon.

(Edit: I tried to send this as a personal message but your inbox is disabled).