Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Buffs Database is complete

Michael

Joanne,

There is an F. H. Wright in Gazette Issue 27353 published on the 10 September 1901. Page 34 of 120

He is a Colour Sergeant in the 3rd Battalion of The Buffs, reg no. 430

David

Mick

do you have any further info on the coventry men i posted on page 14. I think i have more pictures of men from this locality in the Buffs. i will dig it out.

Thanks

Trevor

Joanne

We'll get told off for talking about the Boer War here but Wright was mentioned in Roberts' despatch of 4/9/1901. He was with the 3rd Buffs and was entitled to the QSA with claps Transvaal, Orange Free State and Cape Colony. He was also entitled to the KSA with clasps South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902.

Mick

Mick

This is fantastic news and sorry if we get into trouble :rolleyes: although i do know that he did fight in WW1...

This is another avenue to look down - he definitely seemed to have a very good military career.

Thanks once again.

Jo

Hi Mick,

is it still possible for you to look up G/21937 Pte G.E. Willis E Kent Regt for me please. Many thanks.

Cheers,

David

David

The only info I have is that he was in the 7th and 8th Buffs. He would have joined The Buffs in mid 1917

Michael - know you must be busy but did you get the chance to search by the place name Heybridge?

Thanks.

SPN

Maldon

David

The only info I have is that he was in the 7th and 8th Buffs. He would have joined The Buffs in mid 1917

Hi Mick,

thanks very much for that, it is appreciated.

Cheers,

David

Maldon

The only time that Heybridge is mentioned is the birthplace of L8700 Private Frank Oliver Page, a regular soldier who was killed with the 1st Buffs on 28/10/1914. He had joined the Buffs in November 1907.

Mick

Trevor

The Coventry search was a bit disappointing. The only results were the two who were born in Coventry; G3896 LSGT Henry Smith Craven and G15522 Private Albert Raven. Let me know if you want more details on these men

Mick

Do you have any information regarding the activities of the 1st Battallion at Scottish Wood Paschendale around 2nd August 1918? My grandfather, Allan Edmund Ninnis (Private T/241973) was killed whilst out on a night patrol, but I cannot find any records of the Buffs being in that area at that time. Regards Allan Mornement a.p.mornement.63@cantab.net

Trevor

The Coventry search was a bit disappointing. The only results were the two who were born in Coventry; G3896 LSGT Henry Smith Craven and G15522 Private Albert Raven. Let me know if you want more details on these men

Mick

Mick

Thanks I have a picture of Craven previously attached which came from his sister and i have no picture of Raven. Info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Maldon

The only time that Heybridge is mentioned is the birthplace of L8700 Private Frank Oliver Page, a regular soldier who was killed with the 1st Buffs on 28/10/1914. He had joined the Buffs in November 1907.

Mick

Thanks Mick - good one. Yes, he is on the Heybridge memorial. He was, indeed, born in Heybridge but lived at Goudhurst, Kent, and enlisted at Shorncliffe. He is burried at Y Farm Military Cemetery, Bois-Grenier (E.56).

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick

Is it possible to check your database and see if you have any info on 9402 PTE H W HILLS. 1ST EAST KENT REGIMENT. i understand that he was MID in 1914 and that he was also awarded the Russian Order of St. George.

Any info would be of great help.

Peter

Do you happen to have any information on Pte. L. E. Hill of the East Kents? His service number was 3416. I mean, information other than what's on his MIC (first name, perhaps). Thanks if you can find anything!

Peter

Hills joined the Buffs in approx November 1910. He went overseas with the 1st Battalion on 7/9/1914. I presume you have the CWGC and SDGW info. If not, let me know. I can confirm the MID as a Corporal but don't know the date. I can also confirm the Russian Medal of St George, again as a Corporal but with no date. I have looked at him recently for some reason - did he have a medal on ebay?

Matt

Hill went overseas with the 8th Battalion on 31/8/1915 and was noted as wounded in the Regimental Gazette of September 1916. He was then transferred to the 6th Battalion and discharged to reserve on 19/2/1919. His BWM and VM were on ebay last year along with a photo which was apparently him.

Mick

Thanks Michael! I noticed his BWM and Victory medal with photo were back on eBay, sold earlier today.

Do you have anything on Percy Stockbridge, no. G/26907, by any chance?

Peter

Hills joined the Buffs in approx November 1910. He went overseas with the 1st Battalion on 7/9/1914. I presume you have the CWGC and SDGW info. If not, let me know. I can confirm the MID as a Corporal but don't know the date. I can also confirm the Russian Medal of St George, again as a Corporal but with no date. I have looked at him recently for some reason - did he have a medal on ebay?

Mick

Hi Mick

Thanks for checking your database on him. Yes his 1914 star appeared on Ebay in Australia and because he was awarded the Russian medal of St George i thought i would bid on it as it seems quite interesting.

From a quick look he was awarded his MID in November 1914 which appeared in the LG feb 1915 and his Russian award appears in August 1915.

Do the war diaries still exist for the 1st Battalion for this period?

On another matter you were correct, i have now found out that Private Frederick Charles Hogben G/9667 was taken prisoner of war on the 18/11/1916 and latter died of his wounds 25/01/1917. It would also appear that his Father was not made aware of his death until about Sept/Oct 1917 as they had the wrong address for him.

Thanks again for your help

Peter

Will

The info on Hickox is as follows;

Born Tottenham

Joined Buffs Sept 1916

Only served with 1st Battalion overseas

Died of wounds 18/9/1918

Buried in Brie British Cemetery

That's all I have. Is he a relative ?

Mick

Will

The info on Hickox is as follows;

Born Tottenham

Joined Buffs Sept 1916

Only served with 1st Battalion overseas

Died of wounds 18/9/1918

Buried in Brie British Cemetery

That's all I have. Is he a relative ?

Mick

He's probably a relative, as the name is uncommon, but a rather distant one--my family has lived in America for several hundred years! Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael - wonder if you might be able to help me?

Looking to find out some further info on my great great grandfather Private Jesse Kemp 1st Bttn the Buffs G/21417 KIA on 5th December 1917.

I know he enlisted in 1916 but was looking to find out which month and also what month he went to France.

Best wishes

Carlos