Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilfred Salisbury

abbrover

I am looking for any information on Wilfred Salisbury. His MIC says Middlesex Regiment No 61447 and Buffs (East Kent) 7th Bn G/14547. He died 18 September 1918 in France on Vis-En-Artois Memorial. His parents were Joseph and Mary Salisbury of Waverton, Cheshire.

judithb

There is a thread in "Units and Formations" about a Buffs Database. If you search for it under those two words you might get to find out a bit more from the author.

Sotonmate

He was killed in the Battle of Epehy. I'm doing some research into the 8/East Surreys and this is what I've written about that time although it's still a bit of a 'work in progress.' It also includes some extra info from the Buffs history.

The 18th (Eastern) Division took part in this attack and they pushed past Epehy and moved east of the village. The 7/Buffs were to come up on the left of the East Surreys along with the 7/Queens at 1200hrs. The Buffs and the Queens had tried to advance further but were checked and the 7/Buffs lost 3 officers killed and 11 other ranks killed and a further twenty two wounded and two missing.

Further efforts to push onwards were stopped by fire from both flanks to the east of Quenchettes Wood and the advance was held there as the 54th Brigade was ordered up to press on.

By the 20th they were to the east of the villages of Ronssoy and Lempire taking a line north to south near to a German held position called Pot Lane.

The 55th Brigade then held their positions before being pulled out of the line and were sent back to Leuze Wood, another old battleground from 1916, to rest and refit on the 24th. But the line held here and Epehy was considered only a partial success and is now an often forgotten battle from WWI.

Steve

His MIC doesn't record anything other than you have so he went to France after 1915,

SDGW info:

Name: Wilfred B. Salisbury

Birth Place: St. Mary's, Chester

Residence: Chester

Death Date: 18 Sep 1918

Enlistment Location: Waverton, Ches.

Regiment: Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Battalion: 7th Battalion.

Number: G/14547

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: France and Flanders

My original post didn't read right so I've re-vamped it.

Steve

This is the area around Ronssoy:

PotLane.jpg

Steve

The area today:

Ronssoy2009.jpg

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am trying to find out about my Great Grandad 492 13349 charles william rew he has the victory medal and star 15 according to archives , he survided was casivaced to uk stockport we think any further info would be great appreciated

you would be better starting your own thread and put the name in the title, you are likely to get more people looking at it then and stand more chance of getting a reply

SDGW :- Born St Marys Chester. enlisted Chester. Resided Waverton. Ralph

BMD lists Wilfred - Salisbury's birth as registered during 3rd Quarter of 1893 at Chester, Cheshire.

The 1901 Census also lists "Wilfred - Salisbury"; only SDGW lists "Wilfred B. Salisbury" but does

give his birthplace as St.Mary's.

Trelawney