Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Buffs Database is complete

Michael

Thanks for checking, Mick.

The Webley is quite "activated." I take it to the range every now and then. Very good shooter.

I did find this about Lancaster's family on a web site listing those in England who have coats of arms:

EDWARD SNOW LANCASTER, Esquire, J. P. cos. ot

Devon and London. Born Feb. 8, 1850, being the sixth son

of James Lancasterof Kingston, S. Hants., by his wife Sarah,

youngest dau. of James Snow of Portsea, Hants. Married, Sept. 8, 1874, Kate, youngest dau. of

William Cavander of Rayleigh, Essex ; and has had Issue —

(1) William Erne-t Lancaster, Gentleman, Lieut. West India

Regt., b. June 14, 1875 [m. 12 May and d. 9 Sept. 1903];

(2) Roy Cavander Lancaster, Gentleman, b. Feb. 25, 1896 ;

(3) Edward Eric Lancaster, Gentleman, b. Aug. 31, 1897;

Florence Kate ; Ethel May ; Olive Evelyn ; and Dorothy.

Res.— 25 Park Road, Clarence Gate, N.W.i. Clubs—

R.A.C., Coventry and County (Coventry 1 .

And this on his brother, who was killed at Arras:

Name: LANCASTER, EDWARD E.

Initials: E E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: London Regiment (Queen's Westminster Rifles)

Unit Text: 1st/16th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/05/1917

Service No: 553961

Additional information: Son of Edward Snow Lancaster and Kate Lancaster, of 25, Park Rd., Clarence Gate, London, N.W.1.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 10.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

As a Vietnam vet myself, it's a very sad experience seeing names of friends on The Wall in Washington.

It's hard to imagine that sadness on the massive scale it was for so many British families in World War I.

Thanks for your efforts!

Tony

(HotTom)

Mate,

Sorry about that I get stumpted by your different names of Regts some times.

I hope your cricket team sorts its problems outs also.

I do have this one man I am unsure of;

Clayson W.W. 51021 Pte ICC? to CTC Ex East Kent Regt (2579) rtn (12217)

Any ideas?

Cheers

S.B

Thanks for checking, Mick.

EDWARD SNOW LANCASTER, Esquire, J. P. cos. ot

Devon and London. Born Feb. 8, 1850, being the sixth son

of James Lancasterof Kingston, S. Hants., by his wife Sarah,

youngest dau. of James Snow of Portsea, Hants. Married, Sept. 8, 1874, Kate, youngest dau. of

William Cavander of Rayleigh, Essex ; and has had Issue —

Thanks for your efforts! Tony (HotTom)

Tony, I am sure Mick will not mind me adding to his thread but to confirm about R C Lancaster from Ancestry this is his birth registration entry.

Name: Roy Cavander Lancaster

Year of Registration: 1896

Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun

District: East Stonehouse

County: Devon

Volume: 5b

Page: 277

Also from Ancestry, this is the family on our 1901 Census. If you want a copy of the Census send me a PM with your email address. They had several boarders and a few servants.....John

Name: Edw S Lancaster

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1850

Relation: Head

Spouse's Name: Kate

Where born: Portsea, Hampshire, England

Civil Parish: St Marylebone

Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch

County/Island: London

Registration district: St Marylebone

Sub registration district: Christchurch

Household schedule number: 259

Household Members: Name Age

Edw S Lancaster 51

Kate Lancaster 43

Florence Lancaster 23

Ethel M Lancaster 22

Olne E Lancaster 18

Dorothy Lancaster 13

Roy C Lancaster 5

Erie E Lancaster 3

Paul Fischer 24

Maria H Jones 52

Dina Faulkner 28

Kathleen Faulkner 24

Martha Schuermans 19

Mariel Jones 18

Fred G Russell 23

Julia Harvey 55

Grace Croker 33

Ebeth Glynn 59

Florence Hume 21

Ebeth Grosso 18

Jos Schmidt 19

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I almost hate to ask, as you have replied to so many peoples requests and helped them with their

searches, but I would be most grateful if you may be able to help me with any infomation on my

Great Grans Brother.

His name was Earnest William Beaney, and he served with the The Buffs East Kent Regiment, 8th

Bttn, ID G/17709.

According to the CWGC he was killed on the 4th of Feb 1917, and is buried or remembered at the

Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe.

We have tried to obtain information about him and his service through the national archives, but they

don't seem to have information, and think his records were probably destroyed duing the bombing of

London.

The only record we can find is a medal card, so any information you may be able to find would be

most gratefully recieved.

Kind Regards,

Gary.

Gary

I estimate that Beaney joined the Buffs in August or September 1916. After training he went overseas to join the 8th Battalion. The Regimental Journal of August 1916 notes that E Beaney from Rochester was wounded or missing. This means one of three things

1. It was an error

2. Your Beaney trained with another Regiment then transferred to the Buffs at the time he went overseas and was wounded very quickly

3. It was one of the two other E Beaneys in the Buffs.

The war diary states that three men were killed in the communication trench by German heavy trench mortars on the afternoon of 3rd Feb. The entry for 4th Feb states that there was nothing of importance to report so there is either a mistake in the diary or the CWGC. Sometimes the date of death recorded by CWGC differs by a day from the diaries. Soldiers Died In The Great War confers with CWGC.

He was born and lived in Strood. The site of his house is now a Tesco supermarket

The two other men that died were Alfred Palmer from Tooting and William Read from Edmonton. The three graves are next to each other.

Mick

Hi Mick

Thanks for that information, although it does now raise some interesting questions.

We do know from family records that we have the correct Beaney, but it is strange that he was reported wounded or missing in 1916, and then to turn up in 1917.

There are in fact 3 other family (extended) Beaneys that all served in WW1 one of them being "Ernest", but he died in 1949 aged 63.

The other two are James Beaney G/4986 1st Bttn Queens Own Royal west kent regiment and

J J Beaney (James John) 405691 19th Bttn Canadian Infantry Central Ontario Regiment, before that he had served for three years with the 4th Buffs,and transferred on the 6th July 1915.

Kind Regards,

Gary.

Hi Mick

I would be most grateful if you may be able to help me with any infomation on my Father.

His name was Arthur William Holden, and he served with the 4th Buffs East Kent Regiment (see attachment)

Having stuttered to a end doing the family genealogy I realize I know nothing about my fathers war service.

If you have any further information about him I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards,

Brian

post-43578-1233579236.jpg

Gary

I estimate that Beaney joined the Buffs in August or September 1916. After training he went overseas to join the 8th Battalion. The Regimental Journal of August 1916 notes that E Beaney from Rochester was wounded or missing.

Mick

Hi Mick

I was wondering if you could tell me where I can obtain the information concerning E Beaney

being wounded or missing, If it is available from the national archive's would you happen to have a ref number.

Many thanks,

Gary.

Brian

The only info I can add is that Holden was only awarded British War Medal (because his only service was in India). This contradicts the National Roll that you have posted which states that he was awarded the Victory Medal. If you have his medals and they do include the VM I would be interetsed to know. I cannot find im in my IGS medal roll so cannot confirm his service on the Northwest Frontier.

Gary

The reference to Beaney's wound is in the Regimental Journal but the more I think about it the less likely it is to refer to your man. The journals are not widely available but I can post an image if you want. I do not have them with me at the moment.

Mick

Many thanks for checking regarding my father A W Holden

He died in 1958. I or none of the family have ever heard of or seen any medals so cannot confirm about the Victory Medal.

Again many thanKs for checking your database.

Brian

Gary

The reference to Beaney's wound is in the Regimental Journal but the more I think about it the less likely it is to refer to your man. The journals are not widely available but I can post an image if you want. I do not have them with me at the moment.

Mick

Hi Mick

Thank you for for that information, What makes you think it is not our Beaney?

I would be interested to see the image, but only when you have it to hand and have the time to post it.

Thanks Again,

Gary.

Gary

There were 2 other E Beaneys in The Buffs during WW1. It is more likely to be one of them because your Beaney didn't join the regiment until Aug/Sept 1916. The other 2, Ernest Beaney and EW Beaney, were both overseas long before August 1916.

Here is the image from the War Dragon of August 1916

post-174-1234097979.jpg

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

John/Mick

I wonder whether you have any details of these two men listed in Soldiers Died in the Great War:

HARROLD, John 267697 1/5 Cheshire Rgt k in a 28.3.1918 formerly RW Kent Rgt

ROSS, William John Albert 267699 1/5 Cheshire Rgt k in a 28.3.1918 formerly E Kent Rgt

My interest is that they were both Londoners who were transferred from Kent Regiments to the Cheshires, as was my grandfather. Any information about their date of enlistment or transfer would be fascinating.

Paul

I've now completed the transcription of the BWM and VM rolls for the Buffs. After a five year slog I now have the 1914 star, 1914/15 star and SWB rolls. Combined with the MIC index, SDGW/CWGC and various other tables there are now 1,032,880 cells populated on the database. I am confident it includes every man who served overseas with the Buffs.

Now I need to decide what to do with the database. Do I publish it, put on the internet, etc? In the meantime, I have previously offered lookups for completed rolls and am now offering the same for the BWM / VM roll. There are obviously a lot of men who transferred into the Buffs from other Regiments / Corps so if you send me your email address I can supply a small spreadsheet with your area of interest. Do not send me a private message as the inbox gets filled up quickly. Look ups for individuals can be posted on this thread.

Mick

Thanks Mick - what a fantastic achievement. You must be worn out! Well done. How can you search - by name only or can you also do it by place (of birth, residence, enlistment)?

Best regards.

SPN.

Maldon.

Paul

Ross doesn't appear in my database so he probably transferred to the Cheshires before going overseas. Sorry I can't be much help with this one.

Maldon

I can search the database on any criteria as long as it is included. For example all the men that died will have their place of enlistment but not those that survived, so if I searched for all the men that enlisted at Canterbury I would only find men that had been killed.

Mick

Paul

Ross doesn't appear in my database so he probably transferred to the Cheshires before going overseas. Sorry I can't be much help with this one.

Maldon

I can search the database on any criteria as long as it is included. For example all the men that died will have their place of enlistment but not those that survived, so if I searched for all the men that enlisted at Canterbury I would only find men that had been killed.

Mick

Thanks Mick - would you mind seeing what comes up against Maldon, Essex?

Many thanks.

SPN

The database has details of the following Maldon men;

H Fenner T202536

JW Finter G15508 and G10332 West Kents

OA French G15596

WH Petchey G15658

Given the closeness of the numbers of the last 3, I would guess that they were transferred to the Buffs from a different regiment en bloc before proceeding overseas. The details come from the additional info field on CWGC

Mick

The database has details of the following Maldon men;

H Fenner T202536

JW Finter G15508 and G10332 West Kents

OA French G15596

WH Petchey G15658

Given the closeness of the numbers of the last 3, I would guess that they were transferred to the Buffs from a different regiment en bloc before proceeding overseas. The details come from the additional info field on CWGC

Mick

Excellent Mick. Cross refereencing to my records, I can pass back the following:

FENNER - I have nothing on him.

FINTER - was John Walter (Jack) who was in the 1st. Battalion. He transfered from the Royal West Kent Regiment. His family lived on the Causeway, Maldon. He died 15/9/16.

FRENCH - was Oxley Albert (or Alfred) who was the son of a local fishmonger. He died on 3/5/17.

PETCHEY - was William Henry was in the 7th. Battalion. He was from Princes Street. He died 30/9/17 (when the Division wasn't in the line).

All the best.

SPN

Maldon

Hay!

Well done on the database! *Thumbs up!*

Would it be possible if you have any more information on:

Pte Sidney S Madle

L/10393

2nd Battalion

Many Thanks!

Lisa

SPN

Thanks for the additional info. If you come across anything else, eg photos I'd be grateful if you'd let me know

Lisa

Hello from just down the road! I don't have much on Madle. He joined as a Regular in January 1915 and served with the 1st Battalion (according to the medal rolls). He didn't go overseas in 1915 for some reason (maybe he was underage or had an illness).

Was he any relation to George Madle of Chatham, another Regulaer Buff from pre war who also served with the 1st Battalion?

Mick

Coventry men thus far

BATCHELOR, Private, William Leonard. 10th Bn., East Kent Regiment formerly 2568, West Kent Yeomanry. Palestine, 6th, November, 1917. Born in Sydney, Australia. Resided at Peckham Rye (Surrey) formerly Coventry).

BRADLEY, Private, Frederick. 32328, 1st Bn., East Lancashire Regiment formerly 2/4th Bn., East Kent Regiment. Died of wounds, 8th October, 1917. Age 30. Son of Frederick and Emma Bradley, of 275, Goodman St., Burton-on-Trent. Husband of Fanny Bradley (now Hadwick), of 13, Booth's Fields, Little Heath, Foleshill, Warwickshire. Born 14th March, 1887 at Burton-on-Trent. Employed Courtalds. Grave Ref. XXX. A. 5A. Etaples Military Cemetery, Pas De Calais, France

COOKE, Private, William Herbert. 6659, 1st/20th Bn., London Regiment formerly 4829 East Kent Regiment. Killed in action, 1st October, 1916. Born 4th February, 1886 at Bond Street. Resided at 42 Bond Street.. Enlisted Coventry. Meter repairer. Commemorated St. John’s Church. Memorial Ref. Pier and Face 9D 9C 13C and 12C. Thiepval Memorial, France.

CRAVEN, Lance Sergeant, Henry Smith. (Pictured) G/3896, 6th Bn., The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). Givenchy, 6th March 1916. Age 24. Son of Arthur Craven, of 27, Spencer St., Coventry. Born 22nd February, 1892 in St. Peter’s Parish. Resided at 27 Spencers Street. Enlisted Canterbury, October 1914. Civil Servant.

Memorial Ref. Panel 15 to 19. Loos Memorial, Pas de Calais, France.

GIBBS, Cadet, David. 242005, 38th Squadron, Royal Air Force formerly East Kent Regiment. Age20. Son of A. P. and Emma Gibbs, of 14, Kimberley Rd., Rugby. Born at Birmingham. Died, home 8th August, 1918. Born in 1899 at Birmingham. Resided at Rugby. Bank Clerk. Enlisted 1914. Grave Ref. B. 487A. Rugby (Clifton Road) Cemetery.

HANMER, Second Lieutenant, Alexander, John, MC. 3rd Bn., attached 6th Bn., The Buffs (East Kent) Regiment. Age 20. Killed in action, 7th October, 1916. Son of John and Constance Catherine Hanmer, of Saynden, Staplehurst, Kent. Native of Newington, Sittingbourne. Name on Roll of Honour in Cathedral Church of St. Michael’s. Grave Ref. Officer’s B. 1. 30. St. Sever Cemetery, Rouen, France.

RAVEN, Private, Albert. G/15522, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) formerly G/12394, 3rd Battalion, Royal West Kent Regiment. Killed in action, 25th September, 1916. Born Coventry. Enlisted Deptford, Kent. Resided Birmingham. Memorial Ref. Pier and Face 5 D. Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.

post-7184-1235089580.jpg

SPN

Thanks for the additional info. If you come across anything else, eg photos I'd be grateful if you'd let me know

Lisa

Hello from just down the road! I don't have much on Madle. He joined as a Regular in January 1915 and served with the 1st Battalion (according to the medal rolls). He didn't go overseas in 1915 for some reason (maybe he was underage or had an illness).

Was he any relation to George Madle of Chatham, another Regulaer Buff from pre war who also served with the 1st Battalion?

Mick

Mick - will do. When you get 5 minutes, the settlement next to Maldon is called Heybridge. Could you punch that in sometime?

Many thanks

SPN

Maldon

Thanks for that, I don't think they are related... No mention about him from my Great Aunt.

I Know that Sidney Madle, got half buried in a trench and gased at some point and he was in the transfered into the 'B' Army Reserves 25/11/1922 and was discharged on 17/1/1931... I got his transfer papers and a discharge form.. all say 2nd battalion! He was also in Multan (India) and Aden...

All so random!

Cheers!

Lisa

Hi

I was wondering if you had any information on Frederick Henry Wright? I know he was a sergant major and some time during his service.

Apparently he was in the london gazette in 1901 and 1902 for gallentry but am unable to find the entries.

Many Thanks

Jo