Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

Thanks for letting me know anyway. I did pay the National Archives for a copy of some pages from the War Diary of the 221st, but all that's done is whet my appetite.

Paul

Paul wrote: "I don't see the units in your list, so I don't suppose that you have any information about the 221st Siege Battery RGA, or the 33rd Brigade RGA, particularly around October 1917?"

Paul: Unfortunately I have nothing on either of those units for that period of time. Dick Flory

Hello Dick,

My search in the Forum for information on 'V' 59th T. M. Battery RFA took me to your 2004 posting with an impressive list of unit histories. I cannot see that unit there but wonder if you have anything on it now?

Cheers: Terry

Dick,

I'm new to this forum but am amazed at the amount of information you are able to supply.

And yes, I'm on the search for some information.

My Great-Grandfather was in the 4th Queens Own Hussars at the Curragh in 1914 and from his Medal records he seems to have gone to France on 18th August 1914. His Service No for the Hussars was 24087.

From there his records indicate that he was a RFA Gunner (Regtl. No. 7751), a Driver (Regtl. No. 1400 & 771884 and also 33615), a Sergeant (Regtl. No. 2130 & 760618) and finally a Driver again (Regtl. No. 39302), being de-mobbed in 1919 with a 1914 Star, Victory and British medals.

From searching this forum it seems that it was not unknown for a cavalryman to end up in the RFA putting their skills with horses to good use.

My question to you is: Is there any way to find out what RFA units he was in from these numbers?

Many thanks for any assistance,

Bryan B

Guest Jules Cook

Many apologies if I have gone about this the wrong way. This is my first day as a member!

I have posted a request but have no idea where it went.

Anyway. My Great Grandfather served in the Royal Artillery. Which division I have no idea but he often talked about fighting in Ypres. His name was Walter Palmer and he was born 20 August 1889 in Amersham, Bucks. He later married my Great Grandmother but I am not sure what year. He died in 1972 at the ripe old age of 83 and I remember him vividly. On returning home from the war, he continued his job as a farmer.

I am trying to trace which division he served in, more information about his unit and details of others who were in the same unit.

Are you able to help atall? I know it is a huge request because I have no further information.

Many thanks.

Jules

Terry wrote: "My search in the Forum for information on 'V' 59th T. M. Battery RFA took me to your 2004 posting with an impressive list of unit histories.'

V.59 TMB was formed on 20 Jan 1917 as the Heavy Trench Mortar Battery in the 59th (2nd/North Midland) Division and served with it in France until March 1918. I am afraid that is all I have on the unit. Dick Flory

Bryan B wrote: "From there his records indicate that he was a RFA Gunner (Regtl. No. 7751), a Driver (Regtl. No. 1400 & 771884 and also 33615), a Sergeant (Regtl. No. 2130 & 760618) and finally a Driver again (Regtl. No. 39302), being de-mobbed in 1919 with a 1914 Star, Victory and British medals."

771884 is indicative of the Northumbrian Brigade, RFA TF which formed the 50th and 63rd Divisional Ammunition Columns during the Great War

760618 is indicative of 3rd Northumbrian Brigade, RFA TF which formed 252nd Brigade, RFA TF that served in the 50th Division and 317th Brigade, RFA TF that served in the 63rd (RND) Division during the Great War.

The rest of the numbers are not indicative of a particular unit. Dick Flory

Jules wrote: "Anyway. My Great Grandfather served in the Royal Artillery. Which division I have no idea but he often talked about fighting in Ypres. His name was Walter Palmer and he was born 20 August 1889 in Amersham, Bucks. He later married my Great Grandmother but I am not sure what year. He died in 1972 at the ripe old age of 83 and I remember him vividly. On returning home from the war, he continued his job as a farmer."

Jules: There just isn't enough information to be able to say anything about his Unit. Dick Flory

Terry wrote: "My search in the Forum for information on 'V' 59th T. M. Battery RFA took me to your 2004 posting with an impressive list of unit histories.'

V.59 TMB was formed on 20 Jan 1917 as the Heavy Trench Mortar Battery in the 59th (2nd/North Midland) Division and served with it in France until March 1918. I am afraid that is all I have on the unit. Dick Flory

Dick thanks for this - Do you know of any diaries I might check at the PRO if I can make the trip?

Terry: As far as I know there are not war diaries for the TM batteries. Dick

Bryan B wrote: "From there his records indicate that he was a RFA Gunner (Regtl. No. 7751), a Driver (Regtl. No. 1400 & 771884 and also 33615), a Sergeant (Regtl. No. 2130 & 760618) and finally a Driver again (Regtl. No. 39302), being de-mobbed in 1919 with a 1914 Star, Victory and British medals."

771884 is indicative of the Northumbrian Brigade, RFA TF which formed the 50th and 63rd Divisional Ammunition Columns during the Great War

760618 is indicative of 3rd Northumbrian Brigade, RFA TF which formed 252nd Brigade, RFA TF that served in the 50th Division and 317th Brigade, RFA TF that served in the 63rd (RND) Division during the Great War.

The rest of the numbers are not indicative of a particular unit. Dick Flory

Dick, I'm amazed that you managed to get anything from those numbers.

Many, many thanks for your help, that information is really useful.

Bryan B

Terry: As far as I know there are not war diaries for the TM batteries. Dick

Dick, Thanks again for both speedy replies - I seem to be running out of options!

Interestingly "27th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery" lists 34038 Gnr E. Hill as wounded on 27 July 1917 but does not list him as dying from those wounds.

Unfortunately I have nothing on either of your other men. Dick Flory

Dick sorry for the delay thanks a million for your help and time. In the records would there be an entry for the day he was wounded and also an entry for when he died as I know from his records he died in the CCS?

Thanks again

Isadore

I cannot help very much. Since Edward is at LIJSSENTHOEK, he most likely died at one of the group of Casualty Clearing Stations using that cemetery. These were Nos. 10, 17, 2 Cdn., and 3 Cdn. The diary of No. 3 Cdn. C.C.S. lists deaths for that period, but this fellow's name is not there. However, as an extra bit of information, we note the death on July 26th of 48035 Gnr. C. Oliver of the 27th Siege Bty. One might speculate that these two were wounded in the same strafe, or even by the same shell!

At this time the preliminary bombardment for the "Northern" offensive in front of Ypres was in progress. The diary of No. 2 Cdn. C.C.S. records that about 40 percent of the casuaties they admitted were from the artillery.

Sorry to be so sparse.

jhill, thanks for your help and sorry for the delay in my reply..

Isadore

I have the following Royal Artillery and Canadian Artillery unit histories and would be happy to do lookups as time permits:

Divisional Artilleries

Narrative of the 5th Divisional Artillery, 1914-1918

History of the 20th Divisional Artillery, 1914-1919

29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918

Brief History of 31st Divisional Artillery (officers only listed)

History of the 33rd Divisional Artillery in the War, 1914-1918

A Short History of the 39th (Deptford) Divisional Artillery 1915-1918

War Services of the 62nd West Riding Divisional Artillery

Royal Field Artillery Brigades

The War History of the 1st Northumbrian Brigade, RFA TF

War Diary of the 1st West Lancashire Brigade, RFA

A Short History of the 1st West Lancashire Artillery Brigade

Kamp News, 1915-1918 (3rd West Lancashire Brigade, RFA TF

Hertfordshire Yeomanry and Artillery Honours and Awards (4 E Anglican Bde, RFA TF)

Lewisham Gunners (4th Lond Howitzer Bde, RFA)

London Gunners Come to Town (5, 6, 7, and 8 London Brigades, RFA TF)

Short Record of War Services of the 7th London Brigade, RFA TF

25th Brigade Ammunition Column War Diary (1914)

Roll of Honour and Casualties and List of Officers who have served with 75th Brigade, RFA, 24

August to 11 November 1918.

Push and Return Push (82 Brigade, RFA

The Raising of the 157th Brigade (City of Aberdeen), RFA TF

The History of the Locally Raised 160th Wearside Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

Exploits and Escapades, Brief History of happenings of the 3rd Staffs Battery, RFA

Before the Echoes Die Away (242 Bde, RFA, 5th Warsickshire (How) Battery)

The Story of the Monmouthshire Volunteer Artillery (266 Bde, RFA TF)

Diex Aix: God Help Us (9 Divisional Ammunition Column, RFA)

Royal Field Artillery Batteries

2nd City of Edinburgh Battery, RFA, 1914-1918

Record of the 3rd Devonshire Battery (Tavistock), 4th Wessex Bde, RFA TF, The Great War,

1914-1919

Third Durham Volunteer Artillery (4th Durham Battery, RFA TF)

The Battery Book (1/6 Hants Battery, RFA TF)

The History of Strange’s Battery, Royal Artillery (8th Battery, RFA)

27th Battery, RFA, 1914-1919

The History of A Battery, 84th Brigade, RFA 1914-1919

Field Guns in France (D/151; A/150 Batteries, RFA)

The Long March, Story of “The Devils Own”, B/210 Burnley Battery, RFA 1914-1919

Over There, Commemorative History of the Old Leak Battery, 1908-1919 (C/231, RFA)

An Australian in the RFA (D/242, RFA

A Record of D245 Battery, 1914-1919

History of the Yarmouth Battery, 1569-1926 (A/270, A/264, A/272 Batteries, RFA)Romford to

Beirut via France, Egypt and Jericho (B/271, RFA)

Royal Horse Artillery Brigades and Batteries

History of the 1/1st Hants Royal Horse Artillery during the Great War, 1914-1919

Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery, 1912-1918

The War Diary of “E” Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, 5th Aug. 1914-31st Oct. 1919

The Story of “F” Troop, Royal Horse Artillery (F Bty, RHA)

Some Pages from the History of “Q” Battery, RHA in the Great War

Royal Garrison Artillery Brigades

The 25th Army Brigade, RGA on the Western Front in 1918

61, How Some Wheels Went Round (61 Heavy Artillery Group, RGA)

History of the 77th Bde, RGA, France 1916-19

Nine Days: Adventures of a Heavy Artillery Brigade of the Third Army during the German

Offensive of March 21-29, 1918 (90 Brigade, RGA)

Heavy Batteries, RGA

9 Heavy Battery, RGA, 1914-1919

War Diary and Roll of Honour, 14th Heavy Battery, RGA in France, Belgium, Germany

With the Heavies in Flanders (24 Heavy Battery, RGA)

Dads Diary, A Gunners Experience in War, 1914-1918 (121 Heavy Battery, RGA)

126 Heavy Battery, RGA, 1915-1919

The Hampstead Heavies (138 Heavy Battery, RGA)

Diary of 144th (York) Heavy Battery, RGA, 1915-1919

Siege Batteries, RGA

The Eleventh Siege Battery, RGA, 1914-1918

Notes of History of 19th Siege Battery, RGA

20th Siege Battery, RGA, BEF, France and Flanders, 20th June 1915-11th November 1918

27th Siege Battery, RGA, BEF, France and Flanders, 5 Sept 1915 to 15 Apr 1919.

Memoirs of 42 Siege Battery, RGA, 1914-1918

52 Siege Battery, RGA, August 1915-August 1919

A Short History of the 72nd (South African) Siege Battery

The History of 76 Siege Battery, RGA

History of 81 Siege Battery, RGA

History of the 91st (Siege) Battery, RGA, December 1915 to 11 November 1918

Siege Battery 94 During the World War, 1914-1918

Occasional Gunfire, Private War Diary of a Siege Gunner (118 Siege Battery, RGA)

126th Heavy Battery, RGA 1915-1919

History of the 135th Siege Battery, RGA

144th Siege Battery, R. G. A.

A History of 154 Siege Battery, RGA, France 1916-19

Nominal Roll of 170th Siege Battery, RGA

178 Siege Battery, R. G. A., B. E. F. France

“Two Eleven,” Being the History of 211 Siege Battery, R. G. A. on the Western Front

220th Siege Battery, R. G. A.

“228”, The History of a Siege Battery during the Great War

History of 250 Siege Battery, R.G.A.

With a Siege Battery in France, 303 Siege Battery, RGA

London Gunners (309 (Hon Arty Co) Siege Battery, RGA)

The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War

332 Siege Battery, R.G.A.

The Record of 355 Siege Battery

A Short Record of the 359th Siege Battery RGA

Canadian Field Artillery

Gun-Fire, An Historical Narrative of the 4th Brigade, CFA

NREF, 16th Brigade, C.F.A.

The Battery, The History of 10th (St. Catherines) Field Battery, RCA (10 Bty, CFA)

The Diary of the 13th Battery, Canadian Field Artillery 1914-1919

Battery Action! The Story of the 43rd Battery, CFA

The History of the Fifty-Fifth Battery, CFA

The 60th C. F. A. Battery Book, 1916-1919

The Story of the Sixty-Sixth C. F. A. (66 Bty, CFA)

Second Canadian Divisional Ammunition Column and Its Part in the Great World War

Canadian Siege Artillery

The Seventh (7 Siege Battery, CGA)

War Diary, 10th Canadian Siege Battery, 1917-1919

hi, i would appreciate any information you could get about my grandfather, arthur john hills from horsham sussex b. 1889. joined the royal field artillery presumably at the start of ww1!all i know is his regiment no. (which may help you) means nothing to me. iv'e looked and there was hundreds of them! it was 183998. all i have been able to find is his medal card, he's listed as a gunner, i can remember a lovely photo of him sitting on a beautiful horse!! mum says he was at "wipers" thats what they used to call ypres, bet you knew that!!! so if you could be of any help i would greatly appreciate it (mum would too i'm sure, as i don't think he talked much about it, best regards sandra baldwinsan. x

Hi rflory

Have you any information you can give me on the activities of the 60th.Brigade RFA attatched to 11th Northern Division.My great Grandfather Bombardier Joseph Taylor was in 'B'Bty and he now lies in the Hamel-beumont Military Cemetary.I only found this information very recently on the CWGC website and i am truly grateful they still have his details and that the Cemetary remembers him with honour,i never expected to find anything on him and i was very moved when i did.Anyway,what i'm trying to find out is where he and/or his unit could have been when he was killed on 7th December 1916.I know the Somme officially ended in November 1916 with the taking of the village where he is now buried,but i still keep wondering what on earth he and/or his unit was upto for him to be killed during the start of December of the same year.

many regards, kevin.

Guest Martin Hodson

Dear Dick,

I was advised you were the expert on RFA! Last week we discovered that my Grandfather, George Butler, was a Driver in the RFA. We found this out in Berrows Worcester Journal for Jan. 1916. Unfortunately, we have no idea of which Brigade etc. he was in, or his regimental number. I checked for a medal card, and there are 6 potential Driver George Butlers in the RFA! I give a little background to George in case that helps:

My mother’s family lived in Ombersley, Worcestershire for many generations, and over the last 15 years we have traced some lines back to the 1600’s. My grandfather, George Butler, was born in Ombersley on 21 Sep 1890, and baptised on 14th June 1891 in St. Andrews Church, Ombersley by J. Garland, Vicar. His father, John, was a labourer at the time, and the family were living at the Arles. In the 1901 census, George was 10, and the family was living at Oldfield Lane, Ombersley: mother Clara Jane and father John, sisters Annie (24), Emma (17), Jane (6) and brothers John (8) and Albert (3).

George's survived the war and was actively involved in the British Legion afterwards in Ombersley.

George's two brothers were both in the Worcestershire regiment: Albert died in 1915 in Malta; and John in 1920 after contracting TB in the trenches.

Sadly, George died, aged 40, in a bicycle accident, hit by an out of control lorry, in 1930.

Obviously we have not got very far with George's war record yet, so any pointers/help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Martin

Hi Dick,

any chance of a look up in the history of the 77th RGA History for me for the 7th June 1917 (Messines) I m interested in a Gunner Gerge Lang Scott (26 Heavy Bty) who was killed that day if there is a roll of honour listed within.

Appreciate how busy life can be s as and when you can would be just splendid,

thanks,

Clive

Any information on the Canadian Artillery will be greatly appreciated for inclusion in our MATRIX PROJECT.

Hello, RFLORY

I wonder if you might have any information on the 126 Battery of the Royal Field Artillery, B Subsection, 20th Brigade. Chris, our very knowledgeable forum host, identified my grandfather's army unit as such.

My grandfather's name is Robert DAVIES, born in Cromer, Norfolk. I'm guessing about the timeline here, but he was badly wounded sometime around the fall/winter of 1915 (the Battle of the Mons, according to the Cromer News report) and sent to convalesce in Chelmsford, Essex. He never returned to duty.

I've posted 3 photographs of my grandfather and fellow gunners here: http://kindredspirits.rootschat.net

If you have any information about this specific unit or if you could offer any insight into the battle that would have disabled my grandfather, I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

Thanks,

Ros

Clive wrote: "any chance of a look up in the history of the 77th RGA History for me for the 7th June 1917 (Messines) I m interested in a Gunner Gerge Lang Scott (26 Heavy Bty) who was killed that day if there is a roll of honour listed within."

"Corporal Scott" is listed in the Roll of Honour as having died at Vraucourt in June 1917. The battery write-up indicates that the battery moved to Vaulx-Vraucourt on 14 May and remained at that position until 30 June 1917.

Dick Flory

Dorisj wrote: "could you possibly please look for a John T. Robbins under 211 Seige RGA"

I can not find him listed nor is he in the 27 Oct 1916 or 15 May 1918 group photos of the members of the battery. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick

Thank you for your reply and for your time in looking for my grand father for me. I am disappointed that you did not find him but many thanks for the effort.

Doris

Dick

Just wondering if this information would be of any additional help regarding my previous inquiry to John T. Robbins

RFA 81906 CORPORAL

RFA 185671 CORPORAL

Doris