Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

Dick

Thank you very much for your reply. I have emailed you my address and appreciate your time and tremendous help on my quest for information on Major Higgins Burne.

Thankyou :) .

Regards

Myrtle

Annie: I don't have their unit history but the War Diary of 176 Siege Battery for Sep 16 to Nov 17 is in the National Archives at WO95/325 and for the period from Dec 17 to Feb 18 at WO95/4205. The war diary for the period Mar 18 to Nov 18 has not been traced.

Regards. Dick Flory

Thank you so much Dick !!

I appreciate your help !!

Annie :)

John84 wrote: "Dick, thanks for your kind offer for look-ups from your unit histories. Would it be possible for you to have a look in your book 'The History of 76 Siege Battery, RGA' and please check what they were up to on 3 November, 1917. This is the day one of my local men 382593, Gunner, Arthur Johnson was killed in action."

John: Are you sure that he served with 76 Siege Battery, RGA? He is not listed in the roll of honour in the unit history. Dick Flory

John84 wrote: "Dick, thanks for your kind offer for look-ups from your unit histories. Would it be possible for you to have a look in your book 'The History of 76 Siege Battery, RGA' and please check what they were up to on 3 November, 1917. This is the day one of my local men 382593, Gunner, Arthur Johnson was killed in action."

John: Are you sure that he served with 76 Siege Battery, RGA? He is not listed in the roll of honour in the unit history. Dick Flory

According to CWG John84 is correct - Grave XII E.8. .....

In Memory of Gunner ARTHUR JOHNSON

382593, 76th Siege Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery who died age 27 on 03 November 1917

Husband of E. A. Johnson, of 2, Smith St., Sherburn, Durham.

Remembered with honour

VLAMERTINGHE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

Dick, as ogdenm has kindly pointed out, Arthur Johnson is recorded by the CWGC as serving with the 76th Siege Battery, RGA. I will post a new thread and ask if some one could possibly take a photo of his grave at Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery, hopefully his headstone may shed some light on what unit he was serving with. Thanks very much for checking your references for me Dick, it is very much appreciated. Just for the record Dick, does your 76th Siege Battery history say anything in it about what they were up to on the 3 November, 1917.....Below is what I have for Arthur.

Thanks John.

382593, Gunner, Arthur Johnson.

76th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.

Killed in Action, 3 November, 1917.

Grave/Memorial: Buried; Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery, Ieper, West-laanderen, Belgium; grave number, XII. E. 8.

Born: Shadforth.

Residence: Sherburn.

Enlisted: Sherburn.

Additional information: Husband of E. A. Johnson, of 2, Smith Street, Sherburn, Durham.

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

I hope you are able to help me with some research I am doing with regard to the Heavy Artillery of IV Corps from Dec 1916 - 17.

The units I have come across so far are:

64th Battery

2/1 North Midland Royal Garrison Artillery

172 Battery

210 Seige Battery

7 Seige Battery

2/1 Lowland

South African Heavy Artillery

35 Heavy Artillery Group

49 heavy Artillery Group

Have I got the unit titles correct?

How were the Heavy Artillery organised at this stage of the War (late '16)?

What type of Armament did these units have ? Howitzers?

Any help would be most welcome

A

Hi Dick !!

Gunner Charles John Louis Jewell

6221, 51st Siege Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery

who died age 41

on 13 November 1916

Son of Mrs. C. Jewell, of St. Heliers; husband of Mary Annie E. Jewell (nee Joyce), of 13, Old St. St. Heliers, Jersey.

Remembered with honour

DARTMOOR CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT

Medal card of Jewell, Charles

Royal Garrison Artillery

Gunner

Royal Garrison Artillery

Gunner

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07w/

I've found out that 51st Siege Battery together with the 71st and 72nd SBs formed the South African Heavy Artillery Brigade and were assigned to the Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery at Ypres from 4th to 16th June 1916.

It was suggested that I try another post on here asking about the whereabouts of WO95/5494 (NA file) which contains the battery allocations. If I can establish the HAG (Heavy Artillery Group) to which the 51st SB was assigned then I'm hoping you can tell me its location in November '16.

Thanking you in advance !

Annie :)

I have attached the Order of Battle for the Canadian Corps as of 11 November 1918. . . .

. . . . Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1914-1919, Colonel G. W. L. Nicholson, C.D., Army Historical Section . . . .

. . . . Artillery: Corps Heavy Artillery

. . . . 3rd Brigade, C.G.A. 5th Divisional Artillery

8th Siege Battery 13th Brigade, C.F.A.

10th Siege Battery 52nd Field Battery

11th Siege Battery 53rd Field Battery

12th Siege Battery 55th Field Battery

51st Howitzer Battery

I know the [Canadian] War Diary covering Mount Sorrel shows the 51st Howitzer Battery as part of the South African Heavy Artillery but the 2 mentions are clerical errors - these were hectic times probably worsened by the introduction of the infamous "Groups" which were replacing the [permanent] brigades which may have resulted in even more confusion - remember this was at the height of the preparations for the coming Somme offensive.

The six SAHA batteries were 71st (SA) Siege Battery, 72nd (SA) Siege Battery, 73rd (SA) Siege Battery, 74th (SA) Siege battery, 75th (SA) Siege Battery and 125th (SA) Siege Battery and only 71 and 72 were at Mount Sorrel.

Carl Hoehler

Liverpool Annie wrote: "I've found out that 51st Siege Battery together with the 71st and 72nd SBs formed the South African Heavy Artillery Brigade and were assigned to the Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery at Ypres from 4th to 16th June 1916.

It was suggested that I try another post on here asking about the whereabouts of WO95/5494 (NA file) which contains the battery allocations. If I can establish the HAG (Heavy Artillery Group) to which the 51st SB was assigned then I'm hoping you can tell me its location in November '16."

Annie: 51st Siege Battery from 12 May 1916 to 10 December 1916 was part of 21st Heavy Artillery Group, R. A. I can find no evidence that it was part of the South African Heavy Artillery Brigade. The War Diary of 21st Heavy Artillery Group can be found at the National Archives at WO95/469.

Regards. Dick Flory

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Dick

This is the first time that I have posted on this forum, but I have been prompted to do so having witnessed your vast knowledge and the help you have given so many, all of whom I am sure are very appreciative.

I wonder if I might impose on your good nature and ask if you can help me with a query I have concerning the 218th Siege Battery in which my husband's grandfather served as a Gunner.

He was 60373 Gnr George Scott Simpson born 4th Jan 1896.

I believe that he was at the Somme, Ypres and Arras. A story within the family says that he celebrated his 21st birthday in the Somme, after the Battle of the Somme, is this likely to be true? I understand the the Battle of the Somme commenced 1st July 1916 until 18th November 1916 - would you know if he would have still been in the Somme area on his birthday on 4th Jan 1917.

Any information on the 218th Siege Battery would be appreciated. I have attached a photo which I hope may be of interest. The handsome chap circled is George Scott Simpson.

Dee

post-12461-1162509405.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kevin Good

Hi,

Any info on 2/42 bty and 42 DAC 42nd Division from 27 March 1917 to 13 March 1918?

And particularly interested in info re C/76 Brigade 34th Division from 26 May 1918 until 28 October 1918 (Grandad was wounded 28 September)

Many thanks!

Hello Dick

Once again our paths cross. What an excellent resource! I see that you havre 29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918 and Heavy Batteries, RGA. My great uncle BSM Richard Grainger DCM MM served in 90 Heavy Battery in Gallipoli and Western Front. WOuld be interested in any info on unit and any mention of him, especially the award of th MM.

I am also interested in 1st Div, 2 CFA Brigade if you have anything.

Most greatful, I know how busy you are.

Best Regards and once again thanks for info on 25 Field Regt RA WW2.

Dave Grainger

Blue wrote: "Hi do you have any info as to the were-a-bouts of 126 seige bty around the 11th October 1918 Many thanks in advance Blue"

Blue: From 17 Nov 17 to the end of the war 126 Siege Bty, RGA was under 71st Brigade, RGA in Fourth Army Heavy Artillery. 11th October 1918 was the day that artillery preparations for the crossing of the Selle began. At that time 71st Brigade, RGA (including 126 Siege Bty, RGA) was part of the artillery allotment for that battle, as part of the heavy artillery attached to the American II Corps. Unfortunately the war diaries for 126th Siege Battery after September 1917 have not been located so more detailed information may be difficult to find. Dick Flory

Dee wrote: "... I have concerning the 218th Siege Battery in which my husband's grandfather ... 60373 Gnr George Scott Simpson born 4th Jan 1896.

I believe that he was at the Somme, Ypres and Arras. A story within the family says that he celebrated his 21st birthday in the Somme, after the Battle of the Somme, is this likely to be true? I understand the the Battle of the Somme commenced 1st July 1916 until 18th November 1916 - would you know if he would have still been in the Somme area on his birthday on 4th Jan 1917.

Any information on the 218th Siege Battery would be appreciated. I have attached a photo which I hope may be of interest. The handsome chap circled is George Scott Simpson."

Dee: He may well have been on the Somme on 4 January 1917, but he wasn't there with 218th Siege Battery, as they did not go out to the Western Front until 17 January 1917. Dick Flory

Kevin Good wrote: "Any info on 2/42 bty and 42 DAC 42nd Division from 27 March 1917 to 13 March 1918?

And particularly interested in info re C/76 Brigade 34th Division from 26 May 1918 until 28 October 1918 (Grandad was wounded 28 September)"

Kevin: I am somewhat confused by your question concerning "2/42 bty" in the 42nd Division as no such battery exists. The brigades in the 42nd Divisional Artillery where 210, 211, and 212 Brigade, RFA TF and the batteries were lettered "A" through "D". Could it be Z/42 Trench Mortar Bty to which you are referring? From April through August 1917 the Division was part of III Corps in Fourth Army and was located near Epehy and Ytres. From September 1917 to October 1917 it was at Ypres, and then moved to Nieuport on the Belgian Coast from October to November 1917. It was in the La Bassee sector from December 1917 to March 1918. In March 1918 it moved to the Arras front to help stem the German offensive.

76th Brigade, RFA was not part of the 34th Division from May to October 1918; in fact it was never part of the 34th Divison. 76th Brigade, RFA was part of the Guards Division until 19 August 1917 when it was redesignated at 76th Army Brigade, RFA. From 12 April 1918 to the end of the war, it was part of VI Corps Heavy Artillery.

Dick Flory

Kevin Good wrote: "Any info on 2/42 bty and 42 DAC 42nd Division from 27 March 1917 to 13 March 1918?

And particularly interested in info re C/76 Brigade 34th Division from 26 May 1918 until 28 October 1918 (Grandad was wounded 28 September)"

Kevin: I am somewhat confused by your question concerning "2/42 bty" in the 42nd Division as no such battery exists. The brigades in the 42nd Divisional Artillery where 210, 211, and 212 Brigade, RFA TF and the batteries were lettered "A" through "D". Could it be Z/42 Trench Mortar Bty to which you are referring? From April through August 1917 the Division was part of III Corps in Fourth Army and was located near Epehy and Ytres. From September 1917 to October 1917 it was at Ypres, and then moved to Nieuport on the Belgian Coast from October to November 1917. It was in the La Bassee sector from December 1917 to March 1918. In March 1918 it moved to the Arras front to help stem the German offensive.

76th Brigade, RFA was not part of the 34th Division from May to October 1918; in fact it was never part of the 34th Divison. 76th Brigade, RFA was part of the Guards Division until 19 August 1917 when it was redesignated at 76th Army Brigade, RFA. From 12 April 1918 to the end of the war, it was part of VI Corps Heavy Artillery.

Dick Flory

Dave wrote: "I see that you havre 29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918 and Heavy Batteries, RGA. My great uncle BSM Richard Grainger DCM MM served in 90 Heavy Battery in Gallipoli and Western Front. WOuld be interested in any info on unit and any mention of him, especially the award of th MM.

I am also interested in 1st Div, 2 CFA Brigade if you have anything."

Dave: Unfortunately he received both his DCM and MM after 90th Heavy Battery, RGA left the 29th Divisional Artillery so he is not listed in that volume. Unfortunately the War Diary of 90th Heavy Battery from June 1915 to April 1917 is not available. The war diary for the period May to November 1917 is available at WO95/

325 and the war diary for the period December 1917 to April 1918 can be found at WO95/4205.

I don't have anything on the 2nd CFA Brigade but their war diary can be found at:

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/...mp;r=18&f=G

and

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/...mp;r=17&f=G

Dick Flory

Guest Kevin Good

Dick Flory

Hi Dick, many thanks for your help.

I quoted from a letter the MOD sent....

"posted to 42 Divisional Ammunition Column 27.03.17"

"posted to 2/42 Battery 25.07.17"

it was I made the assumption 2/42 meant part of 42 Division. My error..

Also my error 76th was in 34th Div!!!

Looks like I can't take the MOD info as being correct. I'll try a different tack and try to decipher the paybook and come back for verification.....thanks again Dick, you have been an inspiration.

Kevin

We are desparately trying to find out information on great grandfather Joseph Hamner - from his medal card we have ascertained that he was a gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery from 1914 to 1919 we have a reg number of 277740 but little else. Under "Action taken" is a handwritten entry which appears to be - list RGA/184/ (or list/RGA/1841). Could this relate to 81st brigade? Other non-military documentation suggest that he was stationed at Ford Efford, Plymouth in 1903. Any suggestions welcomed.

Hi rflory, I'm looking for some info on my Great Great Uncle Lt James Stuart d'auvergne Innes MC*.

He was part of 34 Battery of 189th Brigade RFA and killed in action on 5th August 1917. I am a little confused as this would appear to be during the 3rd Battle of Ypres but after The Battle of Pilckem - 31st July - 2nd August 1917.

Is it possible that you may have any info on the unit movements around that time. I have tried to find the units war diaries :blink: but unfortunately at the moment to no avail and am still waiting for his service record from the NA. I have managed to find his MIC and with the help of some very kind people on this site his citations, I just feel sometimes that I am going round in circles. :lol:

Dick

Having been unable to progress (work issues) with research at Kew but having been to Liverpool to see my mum a question has arisen...

My Grandfather was John Large and according to his discharge papers the following details have been given

Date of Birth: 23/11/1897

Date of Enlistment: 6/4/1915

Army Number: 685759

Date of Discharge: 25/1/1919

Served with 2/3 West lancashire Brigade RFA

Curiously, in a bureau at my mum's house are a couple of shoulder badges for the Liverpool Kings Regiment along with a swagger stick... according to family 'folk lore' my grandfather left the Artillery and joined a foot regiment figuring that he was less of a target on foot than on horseback... (seems a reasonable point to me -although the artillery were slightly further back than the footsoldiers).

Is it at all possible that this could have happened? I vaguely recall him telling me as a very young lad of some exploits that would fit with this scenario but surely his discharge papers would have reflected this?

By the way, his medal card entry shows the Corps as being R.F.A. and the army number matches so it looks like it is him

Regards

Mark

Do you have any information on the following, or the action in which he was involved:

2nd Lt Maurice Cane, 153 Bde RFA, killed on 4th August 1917 at Wielte, near Ieper, and buried at New Irish Farm, Ieper.

His name is on a war memorial I am researching.

Michael

daybase wrote: "We are desparately trying to find out information on great grandfather Joseph Hamner - from his medal card we have ascertained that he was a gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery from 1914 to 1919 we have a reg number of 277740 but little else. Under "Action taken" is a handwritten entry which appears to be - list RGA/184/ (or list/RGA/1841). Could this relate to 81st brigade? Other non-military documentation suggest that he was stationed at Ford Efford, Plymouth in 1903. Any suggestions welcomed."

daybase: Unfortunately the notation "RGA/184" is of no assistance in finding your ggf's unit. It is the volume number for the medal roll for his medals. That fact that he was stationed at Plymouth is not of much assistance as six RGA units were stationed there in 1903 (27, 29, 36, 38, and 39 Company, RGA and No. 3 Depot, RGA. With out some other evidence it is going to be very difficult to find his unit. Dick Flory