Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

Hi Dick,

I am interested in books on RHA units serving with Anzac or Aust Mtd Div's in the EEF.

I have a copy of 'The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War' by Goold Walker.

But, can you please confirm if there are any other books about RHA units that were attached to Australian or New Zealand mounted divisions in the Middle East?

I have not been able to locate any other significant souces- I suspect other units (excluding the HAC account by G-W) attached to these Div's did not publish any accounts?

Cheers

Geoff S

Edited by Geoff S

Geoff: I am not aware of any unit histories of RHA units who served with the Australians or New Zealanders in the Middle East during the Great War. Dick Flory

Dick,

I wonder if you could help me again. Does your History of the 77th Bde, RGA, France 1916-19 contain any detail of the 116th Seige Bty on either of these two date: 2/5/1917 or 2/5/1918?

I'm interested in a casualty who served under an alias. His CWGC details are (with his real name):

Name: HORGAN, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 116th Siege Bty.

Date of Death: 02/05/1918

Service No: 61698

Additional information: (Served as BELL). Son of Martin and Sarah Ann Horgan, of 5, Wolseley St., Bermondsey, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. Q. 18.

Cemetery: DUISANS BRITISH CEMETERY, ETRUN

He served under the name "GEORGE BELL" and SDGC lists him as such, but as DOW on 2/5/1917.

As the CGWC age seems to be one year out, it might be explained by the fact that his DOD is wrong on teh CWGC register.

With thanks,

Chris.

I don't suppose there's anything on Royal Field Artillery, 15th Bde, for 21 August 1914?

I'm trying to find out about a 'friendly fire' incident.

(http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41541&hl= )

Many thanks

Anthony

Hi RFLORY

i wondered if you would have any info on a Capt Henry who served with the RA he was in Malta in 1883 for sure probably through to at least 1906 . possibly you would know what unit this would mean he servedin any info much appreciated

cheers NEDDAN

Dick.

I am in the early stages of researching the Camberwell Gun Brigade, and specifically Bombardier Tommy Rose (Service no: 6147, RFA B Battery, 156th Brigade, 33rd Division). I would be interested to know if you have anything on him, he died of wounds on 2/8/16 and whilst a long shot a date of initial injury would be useful as I will be at Kew early next year but I guess he probably wasn’t important enough to be mentioned in the War Diary by name when he got injured. (He is buried in Rouen suggesting he probably died in one of the field hospitals there?)

I would also be very interested in any recommendations you may be able to make to read up on the Camberwell Gun Brigade. I have a friendly librarian who can access most things via the British Library.

Many thanks for your time.

*****Edited.*****

Just to say that I have now found a date of injury, unbeknown to us it appears he was a local Councillor. I have been ploughing through the local papers from the establishment of the CGB onwards and yesterday reached the time of his death, to find it was front page news. He received a minor shrapnel wound just below the elbow on 19/7/16 whilst setting up his battery near a "small wood situated between Fricourt and Mametz. This wood had been taken by our troops after a stubborn fight, as the number of dead lying around testified. To use my brother's words, it was a 'very hot location'", presumably part of the Battle of Bazentin Ridge. He ended up in No. 12 General Hospital Rouen, expected to make a full recovery and wrote home saying he would shortly be sent back to England. Obviously something went wrong somewhere and he died at 3.00 a.m. on 2/8/16 with his shocked family receiving both a letter from the matron warning that his condition was now serious and official notification of death in the same post on 5/8/16.

I would still be interested in any recommended reading you may be able to suggest - cheers.

Edited by Roger D

Neddan wrote: "i wondered if you would have any info on a Capt Henry who served with the RA he was in Malta in 1883 for sure probably through to at least 1906 ."

Neddan: I can find only two RA officers with the surname Henry serving in 1883:

1. Colonel G C Henry who was serving in India

2. Lieutenant and Quartermastr R. Henry who was serving in Carmarthen.

Regards. Dick Flory

Roger D wrote: "I am in the early stages of researching the Camberwell Gun Brigade, and specifically Bombardier Tommy Rose (Service no: 6147, RFA B Battery, 156th Brigade, 33rd Division)."

I cannot help much other that to say that you are correct in assuming that his injury took place during the Battle of Bazentin Ridge. On the night of 19 July 1916, the batteries of 156th Brigade were in place near Bazentin-le-Petit Wood.

The only book that I aware covers 156th Brigade is "The History of the 33rd Divisional Artillery in the Great War 1914-1918, by J Macartney-Filgate. The War Diary for 156th Brigade, RFA for the period Feb 1915 to Apr 1919 can be found at the National Archives under WO95/2413. Regards. Dick Flory

Chris B wrote: "I'm interested in a casualty who served under an alias. His CWGC details are (with his real name):

Name: HORGAN, GEORGE alias George Bell."

Chris: The history of the 77th Brigade, RGA under 116th Siege Battery, RGA lists Gnr. G. Bell as Killed in Action at Feuchy on 1 May 1917 along with the Battery Commander, Major J D D Brancker and seven more other ranks. The battery command post was hit by shell fire twice during that period so he may have been killed during one of those events. "Soldiers Died in the Great War" (the book) indicates that he was KIA on 2 May 1917.

Regards. Dick Flory

Anthony Piggot wrote: "I don't suppose there's anything on Royal Field Artillery, 15th Bde, for 21 August 1914?"

It would appear to be very unlikely that any fire incident, friendly or otherwise, occurred to the 15th Brigade, RFA on 21 August 1914. According to the "Narrative of the 5th Divisional Artiillery1914-18" the field artillery brigades of the Divisional Artillery, including 15th Brigade, RFA detrained at Landrecies and Le Cateaaau on the 20th of August and on the 21st started their march to Dour, reaching it on the 22nd of August. There is no mention of any of the brigades coming under fire during that time. The first guns of the 5th Divisional Artillery were brought into action early on 23 August when guns of 120 Battery, 27 Brigade, RFA supported an infantry attack near St. Ghislain. Regards. Dick Flory

thanks for the info Dick, was working on old story from grandad that his mother was daughter of a Captain will follow up info provided as possible connection with Aberystwyth so maybe Carmarthen man could be a connection

cheers Neil

Hi Rflory

sorry to be a pain any chance there would be a Captain Henry RA around 1905-1908 in Malta as his daughter born there 1883 in regimental births as RA possible promotion ? later on as my gt grandfather seems to have arrived with rifle brigade at Malta 1905 and left Oct 1908

thanks in advance Neil

• 1 month later...

hi Dick

returning to this earlier reply would you have any further info on Col G C

regards Neil

Neddan: I can find only two RA officers with the surname Henry serving in 1883:

1. Colonel G C Henry who was serving in India

2. Lieutenant and Quartermastr R. Henry who was serving in Carmarthen.

Regards. Dick Flory

Anthony Piggot wrote: "I don't suppose there's anything on Royal Field Artillery, 15th Bde, for 21 August 1914?"

It would appear to be very unlikely that any fire incident, friendly or otherwise, occurred to the 15th Brigade, RFA on 21 August 1914. According to the "Narrative of the 5th Divisional Artiillery1914-18" the field artillery brigades of the Divisional Artillery, including 15th Brigade, RFA detrained at Landrecies and Le Cateaaau on the 20th of August and on the 21st started their march to Dour, reaching it on the 22nd of August. There is no mention of any of the brigades coming under fire during that time. The first guns of the 5th Divisional Artillery were brought into action early on 23 August when guns of 120 Battery, 27 Brigade, RFA supported an infantry attack near St. Ghislain. Regards. Dick Flory

The incident (more details on: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...topic=41541&hl= ) occurred while a battery was on march, just north of Le Cateau on the 21st, when it came under (presumably small-arms) fire from French territorials, presumably at a road block. This appears consistent with the above. The only artillery death on that day was from 15th Bde. I was looking for some corroboration.

Regards

Anthony

The correct man is 63852 Bombardier James William Ketteridge, RFA

He was born on 5 November 1891, the son of William Ketteridge of Waggon Lane, Lower Tottenham, Middlesex, a munitions worker. He was educated at St. James School, Fore Street, Upper Edmonton and enlisted in the RFA on 12 January 1911. On 27 June 1914 he was awarded his 2nd Class Certificate at Army School. He married Mayr Florence, daughter of Benjamin Robert Singleton, late the Northampton Regiment at Kildare Parish Church in 1914 and they has a daughter, Rosary Annie Le Cateau Ketteridge born on 20 December 1914. He was qualified as a First-Class Signaller. He went to France with 11th Battery, 15th Brigade, RFA (5th Division) and on 21 August 1914 while reconnoitering at midnight at LeCateau he was shot by the French by mistake.

There is a photo of him in DeRuvigny's Roll of Honour, Part 1.

Dick Flory

Hello Dick,

If times permits could you do me a precis of this units history in WW1

The Story of the Monmouthshire Volunteer Artillery (266 Bde, RFA TF)

Kind regards

Martyn

Hi Dick,

Could you please look for me in your book the Short record of war services of the 7th Brigade RFA.

I already have the London Gunners come to town book and it doesn't have the sort of info I need.

Does your book have a total number of casualties and award index for the 19th Bty (later to become C235 Bty I believe).

I know it is unlikely but if there any mentions of Gnr William Glover of the 19th Bty that would be fantastic.

Many thanks.

Regards.

Stu

The correct man is 63852 Bombardier James William Ketteridge, RFA

He was born on 5 November 1891, the son of William Ketteridge of Waggon Lane, Lower Tottenham, Middlesex, a munitions worker. He was educated at St. James School, Fore Street, Upper Edmonton and enlisted in the RFA on 12 January 1911. On 27 June 1914 he was awarded his 2nd Class Certificate at Army School. He married Mayr Florence, daughter of Benjamin Robert Singleton, late the Northampton Regiment at Kildare Parish Church in 1914 and they has a daughter, Rosary Annie Le Cateau Ketteridge born on 20 December 1914. He was qualified as a First-Class Signaller. He went to France with 11th Battery, 15th Brigade, RFA (5th Division) and on 21 August 1914 while reconnoitering at midnight at LeCateau he was shot by the French by mistake.

There is a photo of him in DeRuvigny's Roll of Honour, Part 1.

Dick Flory

Dick

Many thanks for that - much appreciated.

Anthony

Hi Rflory

would you have any knowledge of movement between East India Company artillery units and RA units as possibilty my missing Capt Henry could have some connection with Addiscombe House the military arm of the East India Company training cadets for artillery and engineers though it closed in 1861

regards Neddan

I don't see the units in your list, so I don't suppose that you have any information about the 221st Siege Battery RGA, or the 33rd Brigade RGA, particularly around October 1917?

Ever hopeful

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
I have the following Royal Artillery and Canadian Artillery unit histories and would be happy to do lookups as time permits:

Divisional Artilleries

Narrative of the 5th Divisional Artillery, 1914-1918

History of the 20th Divisional Artillery, 1914-1919

29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918

Brief History of 31st Divisional Artillery (officers only listed)

History of the 33rd Divisional Artillery in the War, 1914-1918

A Short History of the 39th (Deptford) Divisional Artillery 1915-1918

War Services of the 62nd West Riding Divisional Artillery

Royal Field Artillery Brigades

The War History of the 1st Northumbrian Brigade, RFA TF

War Diary of the 1st West Lancashire Brigade, RFA

A Short History of the 1st West Lancashire Artillery Brigade

Kamp News, 1915-1918 (3rd West Lancashire Brigade, RFA TF

Hertfordshire Yeomanry and Artillery Honours and Awards (4 E Anglican Bde, RFA TF)

Lewisham Gunners (4th Lond Howitzer Bde, RFA)

London Gunners Come to Town (5, 6, 7, and 8 London Brigades, RFA TF)

Short Record of War Services of the 7th London Brigade, RFA TF

25th Brigade Ammunition Column War Diary (1914)

Roll of Honour and Casualties and List of Officers who have served with 75th Brigade, RFA, 24

August to 11 November 1918.

Push and Return Push (82 Brigade, RFA

The Raising of the 157th Brigade (City of Aberdeen), RFA TF

The History of the Locally Raised 160th Wearside Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

Exploits and Escapades, Brief History of happenings of the 3rd Staffs Battery, RFA

Before the Echoes Die Away (242 Bde, RFA, 5th Warsickshire (How) Battery)

The Story of the Monmouthshire Volunteer Artillery (266 Bde, RFA TF)

Diex Aix: God Help Us (9 Divisional Ammunition Column, RFA)

Royal Field Artillery Batteries

2nd City of Edinburgh Battery, RFA, 1914-1918

Record of the 3rd Devonshire Battery (Tavistock), 4th Wessex Bde, RFA TF, The Great War,

1914-1919

Third Durham Volunteer Artillery (4th Durham Battery, RFA TF)

The Battery Book (1/6 Hants Battery, RFA TF)

The History of Strange’s Battery, Royal Artillery (8th Battery, RFA)

27th Battery, RFA, 1914-1919

The History of A Battery, 84th Brigade, RFA 1914-1919

Field Guns in France (D/151; A/150 Batteries, RFA)

The Long March, Story of “The Devils Own”, B/210 Burnley Battery, RFA 1914-1919

Over There, Commemorative History of the Old Leak Battery, 1908-1919 (C/231, RFA)

An Australian in the RFA (D/242, RFA

A Record of D245 Battery, 1914-1919

History of the Yarmouth Battery, 1569-1926 (A/270, A/264, A/272 Batteries, RFA)Romford to

Beirut via France, Egypt and Jericho (B/271, RFA)

Royal Horse Artillery Brigades and Batteries

History of the 1/1st Hants Royal Horse Artillery during the Great War, 1914-1919

Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery, 1912-1918

The War Diary of “E” Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, 5th Aug. 1914-31st Oct. 1919

The Story of “F” Troop, Royal Horse Artillery (F Bty, RHA)

Some Pages from the History of “Q” Battery, RHA in the Great War

Royal Garrison Artillery Brigades

The 25th Army Brigade, RGA on the Western Front in 1918

61, How Some Wheels Went Round (61 Heavy Artillery Group, RGA)

History of the 77th Bde, RGA, France 1916-19

Nine Days: Adventures of a Heavy Artillery Brigade of the Third Army during the German

Offensive of March 21-29, 1918 (90 Brigade, RGA)

Heavy Batteries, RGA

9 Heavy Battery, RGA, 1914-1919

War Diary and Roll of Honour, 14th Heavy Battery, RGA in France, Belgium, Germany

With the Heavies in Flanders (24 Heavy Battery, RGA)

Dads Diary, A Gunners Experience in War, 1914-1918 (121 Heavy Battery, RGA)

126 Heavy Battery, RGA, 1915-1919

The Hampstead Heavies (138 Heavy Battery, RGA)

Diary of 144th (York) Heavy Battery, RGA, 1915-1919

Siege Batteries, RGA

The Eleventh Siege Battery, RGA, 1914-1918

Notes of History of 19th Siege Battery, RGA

20th Siege Battery, RGA, BEF, France and Flanders, 20th June 1915-11th November 1918

27th Siege Battery, RGA, BEF, France and Flanders, 5 Sept 1915 to 15 Apr 1919.

Memoirs of 42 Siege Battery, RGA, 1914-1918

52 Siege Battery, RGA, August 1915-August 1919

A Short History of the 72nd (South African) Siege Battery

The History of 76 Siege Battery, RGA

History of 81 Siege Battery, RGA

History of the 91st (Siege) Battery, RGA, December 1915 to 11 November 1918

Siege Battery 94 During the World War, 1914-1918

Occasional Gunfire, Private War Diary of a Siege Gunner (118 Siege Battery, RGA)

126th Heavy Battery, RGA 1915-1919

History of the 135th Siege Battery, RGA

144th Siege Battery, R. G. A.

A History of 154 Siege Battery, RGA, France 1916-19

Nominal Roll of 170th Siege Battery, RGA

178 Siege Battery, R. G. A., B. E. F. France

“Two Eleven,” Being the History of 211 Siege Battery, R. G. A. on the Western Front

220th Siege Battery, R. G. A.

“228”, The History of a Siege Battery during the Great War

History of 250 Siege Battery, R.G.A.

With a Siege Battery in France, 303 Siege Battery, RGA

London Gunners (309 (Hon Arty Co) Siege Battery, RGA)

The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War

332 Siege Battery, R.G.A.

The Record of 355 Siege Battery

A Short Record of the 359th Siege Battery RGA

Canadian Field Artillery

Gun-Fire, An Historical Narrative of the 4th Brigade, CFA

NREF, 16th Brigade, C.F.A.

The Battery, The History of 10th (St. Catherines) Field Battery, RCA (10 Bty, CFA)

The Diary of the 13th Battery, Canadian Field Artillery 1914-1919

Battery Action! The Story of the 43rd Battery, CFA

The History of the Fifty-Fifth Battery, CFA

The 60th C. F. A. Battery Book, 1916-1919

The Story of the Sixty-Sixth C. F. A. (66 Bty, CFA)

Second Canadian Divisional Ammunition Column and Its Part in the Great World War

Canadian Siege Artillery

The Seventh (7 Siege Battery, CGA)

War Diary, 10th Canadian Siege Battery, 1917-1919

I am looking for information on my grandfather who according to his war card was in Egypt WW1 with a qualifying date of 25/12/1915 as a driver/gunner with Royal Field Artillary. This is a real surprise to us as we had always believed he was posted to Germany. He definately ended up in germany as he married there and had 3 children before returning to England and remarrying.

His name was James Stuart Ebbs, if anyone can give mne information or point me in the right location I would be extremely grateful. He looks to have received the Victory and Royal Star as part of his service

Martyn wrote: "If times permits could you do me a precis of this units history in WW1

The Story of the Monmouthshire Volunteer Artillery (266 Bde, RFA TF)"

Martyn: The brigade was originally designated as 4th Welsh Brigade, RFA (T.F.) but was redesignated as 266th Brigade, RFA (T.F.). It went to France on 27 Nov 1915 and on 21 Dec 15 took over a reserve position near Albert. In early February it entrained for La Valentine and on 11 Feb 1916 it embarked for Alexandria, where it joine the 53rd Welsh Division on the edge of the Libyan Desert. In May 1916 the brigade became a part of the Suez Canal defences at Ferry Post. In Nov 1916 the brigade marched across the desert to Palestine where it took part in the First and Second Battles of Gaza; the Capture of Beersheba; the Battle of Khuweileh; the action at Tel 'Asur; ending the war just beyond Akrabeh. Men of the brigade received 2 DSOs, an MC/Bar, 2 MCs, 3 DCMs, 2 MM/Bars and 2 MMs. Throughout its war service it was commanded by Lt.-Col. T W Pearson. Regards. Dick Flory

Stu wrote: "Could you please look for me in your book the Short record of war services of the 7th Brigade RFA.

I already have the London Gunners come to town book and it doesn't have the sort of info I need.

Does your book have a total number of casualties and award index for the 19th Bty (later to become C235 Bty I believe).

I know it is unlikely but if there any mentions of Gnr William Glover of the 19th Bty that would be fantastic."

Stu: The "Short Record of War Services of the 7th London Brigade, RFA (TF) has no mention of Bdr. Glover, nor does it list the total number of casualties or awards. It is basically a summary of the brigade war diary. The data on decorations can be obtained from "The 47th (London) Division 1914-1919" which lists the names of all recipients of decorations (both British and foreign) and indicates the brigade of most of the gunners.

Dick Flory