Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

doug61 wrote: "Hi rflory, I'm looking for some info on my Great Great Uncle Lt James Stuart d'auvergne Innes MC*.

He was part of 34 Battery of 189th Brigade RFA and killed in action on 5th August 1917. I am a little confused as this would appear to be during the 3rd Battle of Ypres but after The Battle of Pilckem - 31st July - 2nd August 1917. "

Doug: 189th Brigade RFA became an Army Brigade on 17 January 1917. On 5 August 1917 the brigade was supporting the 41st Division. The brigade’s war diary for the period May 1917 to December 1918 can be found at the National Archives under WO95/204. Lt Innes's service papers are at the National Archives under WO339/25369. Dick Flory

odgenm wrote: "Curiously, in a bureau at my mum's house are a couple of shoulder badges for the Liverpool Kings Regiment along with a swagger stick... according to family 'folk lore' my grandfather left the Artillery and joined a foot regiment figuring that he was less of a target on foot than on horseback... (seems a reasonable point to me -although the artillery were slightly further back than the footsoldiers).

Is it at all possible that this could have happened? I vaguely recall him telling me as a very young lad of some exploits that would fit with this scenario but surely his discharge papers would have reflected this?"

Mark: You mention that you have his Medal Index Card. If he served in the King's Regiment during the Great War the MIC should indicate that service. Dick Flory

Michael Pegum wrote: "Do you have any information on the following, or the action in which he was involved:

2nd Lt Maurice Cane, 153 Bde RFA, killed on 4th August 1917 at Wielte, near Ieper, and buried at New Irish Farm, Ieper."

2nd Lieut. Maurice Cane, RFA

Son of Col. C. R. J. Cane of St. Wolstan’s, Celbridge, Ireland

Educated at Eton from 1896 to 1901 where he was on the Field XI from 1900 to 1901 and was the Keeper of the Field in 1901; at Trinity College, Oxford until 5 Jul 15; and at the School of Mines, Camborne

Before the war he was a mining engineer

Served in France with A Battery, 153rd Brigade, RFA from 1916 to 1917

Married Hilda Jessie, daughter of Robert Craig Kennedy, CIE of Victoria, British Columbia and Largo, co. Fife

Killed in action at Wieltje on 4 Aug 17

The last day of July 1917 was the beginning of the Third Battle of Ypres. On that day Fifth Army attacked north of Zonnebeke Road. On 4 August 1917 HQ, 107th Brigade was in the mined dug-outs of Wieltje. According to Falls on the 4th of August there was a lot of counter battery fire and interdictory fire in that area. I would guess that 153 Brigade was also in the area of Wieltje and that he was killed by the very heavy counter-battery fire.

Sources: Eton School Register, Part VIII, 1899-1909; Etonians Who Served in the Great War; Oxford University Roll of Service; Falls, Cyril, History of the Ulster Division.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick, Thank you ever so much for your help, it is really appreciated. I'm still waiting for my quote from the NA, hopefully it will be here soon. Again many thanks for your help.

2nd Lt Maurice Cane, 153 Bde RFA, killed on 4th August 1917 at Wielte, near Ieper, and buried at New Irish Farm, Ieper."

Dick,

Thank you very much for that information - very helpful. Michael

Guest Spijkerfestijn
Stewart: According to the "Narrative of the 5th Divisional Artillery , 1914-18: "Early in April the Division was relieved by the 46th Division, and marched via Renninghelst to Ypres, where they took over the front Hill 60- Polygon Wood from the 28th Division, which side-slipped to the North the artillery taking up positions as follows:

27th Brigade, RFA (right) about Kruistraat

28th Brigade, RFA (centre) about Zillebeke Lake

15th Brigade, RFA (left) East of Ypres

37th and 67th Batteries working with the 27th Division.

The Divisional Artillery Headquarters were with the Division 2 kilometers west or Ypres"

The brigades of the 5th Divisional Artillery remained in these positions through April but by 23 April 1915 (the first day of the Second Battle of Ypres) the Divisional Artillery Headquarters had moved to Renninghelst, out of telephone communications with the brigades.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi, Here is my grandfather's MIC for his MM - is this enough for you to identify where he is likely to have been and anything about what he was doing when he won his MM? There is nothing of note in the Gazette entry. He died in 1953 and I am not really doing a big history thing, just picking up snippets to pass on to his 7 children, all of whom are currently alive!

If not, thanks anyway

Sorry, pic failed to attach so edited it and added smaller pic

post-16685-1165875379.jpg

Keith wrote: "have you any information where 41 Bty., 42 Bde. were on the build up and opening day of The Battle of Arras please."

Keith: Unfortunately I have nothing on either 41 Battery or 42 Brigade, RFA during that period. Dick Flory

Spoons wrote: "Here is my grandfather's MIC for his MM - is this enough for you to identify where he is likely to have been and anything about what he was doing when he won his MM?"

As his MM was gazetted on 18 July 17 the action that he won his award was probably sometime between April and June 1917. At that time 62nd Brigade, RFA (part of the 12th Divisional Artillery was involved in the Battle of Arras. The divisional history does not go into detail about actions in which men received the MM but the war diary of 62nd Brigade, RFA is available at the National Archives. That portion of the war diary that covers the period June 1915 to December 1916 is at WO95/1836 and the portion that covers the period January 1917 to March 1919 is at WO95/1837. Dick Flory

Leo wrote: "Looking for information on John McLaren, #168142, Gunner, 3 Res Bty, RGA."

Leo: During the Great War 3rd Reserve Brigade, RGA was located at Prees Heath. The Brigade trained RGA recruits and also provided administrative support for men invalided home or recovering from wounds. Knowing that Gunner McLaren served in that brigade is not going be of any assistance in understanding his service overseas. Dick Flory

Dick,

Amongst your archive do you have anything about 2nd Brigade Eastern Division Royal Artillery (Militia) circa 1888-9 please? A relative was a member of this force prior to his enlistment with the RMLI.

Lionboxer

Thanks Dick - very grateful, will pass this on to his sons and daughters in UK, Canada and Florida.

Leo wrote: "Looking for information on John McLaren, #168142, Gunner, 3 Res Bty, RGA."

Leo: During the Great War 3rd Reserve Brigade, RGA was located at Prees Heath. The Brigade trained RGA recruits and also provided administrative support for men invalided home or recovering from wounds. Knowing that Gunner McLaren served in that brigade is not going be of any assistance in understanding his service overseas. Dick Flory

Dick.

Thanks for looking and the info provided. My puzzle continues.

Leo

Hi Dick: I've run out of leads in my search. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. We know from his MIC, he received both the Victory and British War medals. Could he have received these medals while serving in the 3rd Reserve Brigade or should I be looking for another unit he may have served in? Thanks.

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Leo wrote: "Hi Dick: I've run out of leads in my search. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. We know from his MIC, he received both the Victory and British War medals. Could he have received these medals while serving in the 3rd Reserve Brigade or should I be looking for another unit he may have served in? Thanks."

Leo: The 3rd Reserve Brigade never went overseas so he would have had to earn him BWM and VM with some other unit. Regards. Dick Flory

John Reed wrote: "my grandad frederick reed was in the 6th city of london reg

do you have any history or infmation on this regiment"

John: I assume you are referring to the 6th London Brigade, RFA (as there was no 6th City of London Regiment during the Great War). There were two lines of that brigade: (1) the 1st/6th London Bde, RFA was part of the 47th Division and was later redesignated as 236th Brigade, RFA. It went to France on 17 Mar 1915; (2) the 2nd/6th London Brigade, RFA was part of the 60th Division and was later redesignated as 301st Brigade, RFA. It went to France in June 1916. If he was an other rank and was serving with the brigade in 1917 his regimental number should be between 955001 and 960000.

A good book on the first line of the 6th London Brigade, RFA is "The London Gunners Come to Town", which was published in paperback a few years ago and should still be available.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi,

I would very grateful if you could provide any information about Corporal Herbert Hawkins, who served in the 144th Siege Battery of the RGA, service number 64601. He was killed on 8th October 1917 and is buried at the Bard Cottage Cemetery.

Many thanks,

John Tanner

Kiveton Park and Wales Community History Project

• 2 weeks later...

John: Can't tell you anymore than that he was born and enlisted at Sheffield. Dick Flory

My grandad, Richard Millington, was in the RHA, he was from Wem in Shropshire so I assume he was in the Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery, his regiment No. was 54939 I believe and was a sargeant.

If you have any information I would be most grateful.

Lynne :)

Mark wrote: "Does anyone have anyinformation of 325 siege battery RGA other than the war diary of 1HAG?"

325th Siege Battery, RGA

Went out to the Western Front on 14 May 17 with four 6" Howitzers (26 cwt) and joined 1 HAG on 23 May 17. Transferred to 66 Brigade, RGA on 3 Dec 17 and was made up to six howitzers with the addition of personnel from 361 Siege Battery, RGA on 20 Jan 17. No subsequent changes.

The war diary for 325 Siege Battery, RGA has not been traced, but the war diary for 66 Bde, RGA from May 1917 to Mar 1919 can be found under WO95/395. Dick Flory