Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

Mike Jones wrote:

Do you have any information on 142nd H Bty RGA? According to the LLT Mother site the unit was attached to 34th or 79th Brigade.

My gandfather, Arthur Henry Jones (47626) served with this unit and was awarded the MM in 1918 (Gazette 7 October 1918).

Any information would be much appreciated.

Mike: I have a history of the unit titled The 142nd (Durham) Heavy Battery, RGA (T). Gunner A. Jones is listed in the honors' list as having been awarded the MM but there is nothing in the text to indicate the action in which he gained the award. Regards. Dick

Joan wrote:

Hiya, I would be grateful if you could do a look up on my grandfather William J Mccarthy gunner no.213499 RA, volunteered in Cardiff, served in the royal field artillery , mainly in no mans land with a field telephone giving information on where to aim the fire. He survived the war, although he was gassed and subsequently hospitalised (dont know where), a photo of him in his hospital blues gives no clue. According to my Dad, he returned a broken man and died in his early forties from the lingering effects of the gas. If you have any info at all I would be very thankful. Regards, Joan Mccarthy

Joan: There is really not much to work on here. If we could somehow identify his unit then we might be able to find something on him. His service number is a regular army number and gives no clue to his unit. Have you tried obtaining a Medal Index Card from the National Archives? Regards. Dick

Mark wrote:

War Diary of the 1st West Lancashire Brigade, RFA

A Short History of the 1st West Lancashire Artillery Brigade

Kamp News, 1915-1918 (3rd West Lancashire Brigade, RFA TF

In respect of the items mentioned, is it possible to source copies of these so that I could try to align some of the piecemeal informatino I have in respect of my grandfathers service? i.e. could you point me in the direction of where I could obtain these?

Mark: The first two books were purchase through ABE Books. The 1915, 1916 and 1918 volumes of Kamp Knews are in the Imperial War Museum, while the 1917 volume was obtained from the Australian National Museum. Regards. Dick

Matthew wrote:

I have just found out that my Great Grandfather, Joseph Frederick Bowskill,

served in the 359th siege battery Royal Garrison Artillery. He died on 29th

April 1917. I would like to know some more about the battery, which I

understand from another site was a rail mounted 12" howitzer. Can you help ?

Matthew: 359 Siege Battery was armed with two Railway Mounted 12" Howitzers and went to France on 10 June 1917 where it joined 19 Heavy Artillery Group (HAG). There is a very short history of the battery entitled A short record of 359th Siege Battery

but it is very general in nature and contains no information on where the battery served or the personnel of the battery. The War Diary of 359 Siege Battery for the period of July 1917 to Jan 1918 is available at the National Archives under WO95/304 and might well indicated something about the death of your GGF. Regards. Dick

Mark wrote:

Do you have any information on 121 Siege Battery RGA?

121 Siege Battery went out to the Western Front in July 1916 armed with four 9.2" Howitzers. It was made up to six guns in Dec 17. Unfortunately the unit's War Diary has not been traced.

I am trying to research my wife's great uncle Gunner 88581 Thomas William Ward DOW 23/04/1917 buried AUBIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Was this as a result of the Vimy Ridge battles ?

I don't know.

What exactly is a siege battery and what type of artillery did they use?

A Siege Battery is a battery with heavy guns in the 6" to 12" range. They were part of the RGA and served under Heavy Artillery Groups at the Corps and Army level.

Would it be likely that he was with this unit throughout his service or did RGA men move around.

Very hard to tell. Some stayed with their units through out the war and others transferred.

Would you be able to recommend a good book on the RGA ?

There is not a book just on the RGA, but the following Siege Battery histories while not about 121 Siege Battery would still give you a feel about how a siege battery operated:

History of the 135th Siege Battery and Memoirs of 42 Siege Battery, RGA, 1914-1918.

Regards. Dick

Stu wrote:

Do happen to have anything on 119 seige bty RGA,I'm interested in what they were doing between 1/1/18 and 26/3/18,particulary any mentions of 2nd Lt A.G.Richardson.

Stu: I have the unit history of 77 Brigade, RGA to which 119 Siege Battery, RGA belonged in 1918, but there is no mention of Lt Richardson.

The battery was at Ypres from Aug 1917 to May 1918. It was withdrawn from the line during March 1918 for a rest. Not much else is available because the battery records were lost at Gernicourt Wook on 27 May 1918.

Regards. Dick

Graham wrote:

Hi. I was wondering if anyone had information about the 174th Siege RGA? Thatw as my great-grandfathers unit. Or if anyone could suggest where to find information about it. I'd like to know dates and geography of where they fought if possible.

Graham: I do not have any information on 174 Siege Battery and but the battery war diary for the period Oct 1916 to June 1917 is available at the National Archives under WO95/477.

Regards. Dick

Dear Dick

I am very grateful to you for the information on the 144th Siege Battery. I am typing up some memoirs of my huband's Grandfather, Percy Clark (Gunner 68550). These were written in 1935 on the suggestion of his doctor as therapy to help him through the trauma he was still suffering. He mentions the locations his battery fought, but unfortunately with no dates! Could you advise me where I might get information of the dates and places 144 Siege Battery were sent? I might then be able to correspond them with the locations mentioned in his memoirs.

Thanks for your help.

Michele

Dick,

i wonder if you could help me. I am trying to do some research on four brothers who were in the Essex & Suufolk RGA pre war and then went on to the RGA and RFA in the war but seem to be having problems finding anything out about this unit.

Do you have any information on this unit at all or could you suggest where I might be able to find out anything about them.

Best Regards

Andy

Andy wrote:

am trying to do some research on four brothers who were in the Essex & Suufolk RGA pre war and then went on to the RGA and RFA in the war but seem to be having problems finding anything out about this unit.

Andy: The Essex and Suffolk RGA TF was formed in 1908 from the 1st Suffolk and Harwich RGA (Volunteers). It consisted of four companies of Defended Ports units and was headquartered at Dovercourt. During the Great War it served in the UK with two companies as part of the Eastern Coast Defences defending the ports of Medway and Thames and two companies as part of the Harwich Coast Defences defending the port of Harwich. Many of the men that originally served with the unit went to France with Siege Batteries and Heavy Batteries.

Men who were members of this the Essex and Suffolk Fortress RGA (as it was then called) when the TF renumbering occured in 1916/1917 were give service numbers between 340001 - 344000.

Dick

Dick,

Many thanks for this information, it is much appreciated as always.

Andy

• 1 month later...
Guest BILLPORTER

Dear sir

I would like to take your kind offer of help.

I have started to do my familys back ground research and have just been told I had a great uncle that was killed at the start of ww1. His name was DAVID MARTIN aged 18 and was in the R.H.A. and is buried somewhere in France. He was born in Belfast on my mothers side.

I looked up his name on the cwgc.wargraves web site but no mention of him I suppose he could have been an unknown soldier. I have found out that out of 70 RHA soldiers 20% were buried unknown. I have been told that there is a list of names of unknown soldiers but where to look ???

Being an ex soldier myself I have a great interest in great uncle David.

I would like to thank you once again for any help you can give me.

I hope this email finds you in good health

yours

Bill Porters

Bill Porter wrote:

I have started to do my familys back ground research and have just been told I had a great uncle that was killed at the start of ww1. His name was DAVID MARTIN aged 18 and was in the R.H.A. and is buried somewhere in France. He was born in Belfast on my mothers side.

I looked up his name on the cwgc.wargraves web site but no mention of him I suppose he could have been an unknown soldier. I have found out that out of 70 RHA soldiers 20% were buried unknown. I have been told that there is a list of names of unknown soldiers but where to look ???

Bill: I have rechecked the CWGC site and "Soldiers Died in the Great War" and neither list a "David Martin" from the Royal Horse Artillery. The fact that he might be an "unknown" should not be an issue, because while he may not have a known grave, his name would still be listed on one of the CWGC monuments to the missing and his name should appear on the CWGC site.

I checked the Medal Index Cards online search engine and find one David Martin from the RHA listed at: http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

You might want to spend £3.50 and download a copy of his medal index card which should indicate his regimental number, rank, medals issued, date of going overseas and his date of death. The online information indicates that during the war this "David Martin" transferred to the Army Service Corps."

Regards. Dick

Hi Dick,

I note you have a copy of the 31st Divisions Artillery History. Is there any mention of there movements/actions over the period 12th September - 18 October 1918 ???

No rush and as time permits, thanks for any info you can supply.

Best regards Aaron.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cliveledger

Any information on E Battery, RHA?

I have photos of my grandad Louis Maurice Rashleigh LEDGER that seem to indicate that he was on the Rhine (Horrem, Germany) with E battery RHA in 1919.

I believe he went over to the front from Southampton in early 1917.

According to family, he ended up somewhere near Esch, Luxembourg near end of the war. The Medal Rolls indicate he was awarded the British Medal and Victory Medal (RHA/Gunner, # 43822)

Regards

Clive Ledger

Ottawa, Canada

Clive wrote:

Any information on E Battery, RHA?

I have photos of my grandad Louis Maurice Rashleigh LEDGER that seem to indicate that he was on the Rhine (Horrem, Germany) with E battery RHA in 1919.

I believe he went over to the front from Southampton in early 1917.

According to family, he ended up somewhere near Esch, Luxembourg near end of the war.

Clive: I have the War Diary of E Battery, RHA and it shows the following dispositions of E Battery after the war's end:

11-15 Nov 18: Avesnes

16-18 Nov 18: Philippeville

18-20 Nov 18: Hermeton-Sur-Meuse

22-23 Nov 18: Rochefort

24-28 Nov 18: Warizy

29 Nov-18 Dec 18: Widrin/Rettigny/Braunlauf

19 Dec 18: Trois Ponts

20 Dec 18-12 Mar 19: Juslenville

12 Mar 19: Eynatten

13-14 Mar 19: Kirchberg

14 Mar-25 Apr 19: Esch

26 Mar-21 Sep 19: Ichendorf

22 Sep 19: Horrem

22-25 Sep 19: Enroute to Calais

25 Sep-13 Oct 19: Calais

13 Oct 19: Embarked at Calais on SS Hunslett

14 Oct 19: Arrived at Gravesend

15-30 Oct 19: At Remount Depot at Swaythling

31 Oct 19: Arrived at Permanent Quarters at Aldershot

Regards. Dick

Aaron wrote:

I note you have a copy of the 31st Divisions Artillery History. Is there any mention of there movements/actions over the period 12th September - 18 October 1918 ???

Aaron: My 31st Divisional Artillery History is a carbon copy of a typed manuscript which unfortunately ends in August 1918. Dick

Thanks anyway Dick, appreciate your efforts.

regards Aaron.

• 2 weeks later...

Dick,

I didn't see this unit in your list, but then you may have added it since your original post.

I'm trying to find the location of the 125th Heay Bty. of RGA on 31/12/1917. Gunner Albert Ernest J Skilling died on this day KIA.

Thanks,

Chris.

Chris wrote:

I'm trying to find the location of the 125th Heay Bty. of RGA on 31/12/1917. Gunner Albert Ernest J Skilling died on this day KIA.

Chris: Unfortunately I do not have a unit history for 125th Heavy Battery, RGA but I can tell you that on 31 Dec 17, 125th Heavy Battery, RGA was serving under 7th Brigade, RGA in First Army.

The war diary of 125th Heavy Battery, RGA has not been traced, but the war diary for 7th Brigade, RGA for the period Jan 1917 to July 1919, can be found in the National Archives at WO95/211.

Regards. Dick

Chris wrote: 

Chris:  Unfortunately I do not have a unit history for 125th Heavy Battery, RGA but I can tell you that on 31 Dec 17, 125th Heavy Battery, RGA was serving under 7th Brigade, RGA in First Army.

The war diary of 125th Heavy Battery, RGA has not been traced, but the war diary for 7th Brigade, RGA for the period Jan 1917 to July 1919, can be found in the National Archives at WO95/211.

Regards.  Dick

Dick,

Many thanks for this information, I'm not able to visit the NA myself, but I'm grateful for the reference.

Regards,

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Dick,

I wonder if you have any information about the the following units around these specific dates:

"A" Bty. 38th Brigade RFA , 06/08/1917

"C" Bty. 186th Bde RFA, 01/10/1917

"A" Bty. 190th Bde, 26/09/1917

"C" Bty. 190th Bde. 26/10/1916

65th Howitzer Bty RFA, 29/06/1917

"C" Bty. 4th Bde RFA, 04/07/1918

39th Bty. RFA, 11/03/1915

39th Div. Ammunition Col. RFA, 12/04/1918

Thanks,

Chris.

Can anybody tell me how I can try to find out which battery my grandfather served in?

Without the battery number I believe I am 'stuck' to find out where he served.

Name: John Large

Date of Birth: 23/11/1897

Date of Enlistment: 6/4/1915

Army Number: 685759

Date of Discharge: 25/1/1919

Served with 2/3 West lancashire Brigade RFA

Guest edwinwrg4751
hi rflory,can you recomend a book for 330 brigade rfa snd or 66th div

many thanks edwin

i had a quick look on his mic and it does not say immediatly anything.it might be an idea to get the mic itself to see if it is on there

edwin