Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

Hi Dick,

Can you help me.

I'm after anything you may have on the 35th Brigade R.F.A. 7 Division, also of an M.M. won by 53725 L/Bdr Joseph Tinkler.

Gazetted 28/7/1917.

I would be greatful of anything you my have. Very kind regards.JIM.

P.S. Sorry i do not know the Battery no,.

Hi Jim,

If Dick can't help, I'll have a look at my copy of the 7th Divisional history tonight; it's unlikely the man will get a specific mention, but there might be something useful. At the moment I'm wondering, going by the gazette date, if his MM was awarded for the divisions part in Bullecourt operations at the start of May (I might be wrong of course!).

cheers

Steve

Ypres: I do not have anything on 35th Brigade or on L/Bdr. Tinkler. Regards, Dick Flory

Dick

Although they are not Gunner officers, I wonder if you have anything on a pair of brothers, Francis William Bailey and Reginald Threlfall Bailey, both RAMC, wbo both appear to have served as medical officer to 3rd West Lancashire Brigade RFA TF. Medal cards both have an 'RFA' annotation above 'RAMC'.

It seems unusual for a unit to have two MOs snd I wonder if there was confusion when their postwar obituaries were written.

Daggers

Hi again Jim,

Nothing particularly useful I'm afraid (and nothing specifically wrt 35 Bde and Bullecourt - though it appears only 25 Battery was involved in the attack on 3rd May).

You probably know the component batteries of the brigade were 12, 25, 58, and (from 17th May 1916) 31 Battery RFA.

It might be worth seeing if 35 Bde RFA war diary is in the National Archives collection.

Cheers

Steve

Major Frank William Bailey definitely served with the 3rd West Lancs Brigade, RFA and the following comments concerning him are taken from Kamp Knews: The Officious News-ance of the 3rd West Lancs. Brigade, R.F.A.:

Christmas 1915: He is listed as 'Captain and Medical Officer' in the 'Nominal Roll of Officers'

Christmas 1916: 'A most popular :win: was that of Surgeon-Major F W Bailey being awarded the D.S.O. Our "Bill" had not sought the bubble reputation at the cannon's mouth, but through his ever genial personality, and his disregar for danger while in the discharge of his duties, he has well deserved the hounour thrust upon him. As an

example of his sublime courage, it is averred with awe that he has even been known to swallow one of his own No. 9 pills. He received a contusion on the right shoulder during the Somme battle. Major Bailey is a member of the Liverpool City Council, and the congratulations of the Council were among the many received by him. He is wedded -

to his profession, and is at present having a chance from regimental duties, being in charge of a Field Hospital.'

Christmas 1917: 'Major F W Bailey, DSO, our own and only "Bil," feeling that deserved promotion did not lie the way of a Territorial unit surgeon, left the Brigade to which he had been attached so lone and honourabliy, and which was much attached to him, and transferred to the RAMC (T.). He has charge of a CCS with accomodation for 800

patients, and not unvisited by the gentle Hun, but no kind Providence has yet blown along the extra pip. Verily, the Territorial proposes, but _________ . The Major received his DSO from His Majesty at Buckingham Palace when last home on leave, and had a cordial reception.'

Christmas 1918: 'Major F W Bailey, DSO, has been laying low and "sayin' nuffin'," but doubtless thinking very hard to the slowness of promotion. We can well believe that hope so long deferred must make his heart sick. There is a recent rumour, however, that he has been seen at the Base wearing the crown and pip. We trust rumour on this occasion is not a lying jade, and we shall be right well pleased to pass from "Bill" to "Sir." Latest news reports him in charge of the anesthetical departments of the hospitals at a well known French watering place.'

The photo is from the Christmas 1916 issue.

I can not find anyone by the name 'Reginald Threlfall Bailey' in my Army Lists.

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-0-19171500-1341101313_thumb.jpg

Steve.

Thanks for responding to my post i am very greatful, and yes i think the war diary. Kind Regards. JIM

Cheers Dick for responding to my post i am very greatful. Kind Regards. JIM

Dick

Thanks very much for the extracts on Bailey. The Kamp Knews is a useful source, even if its style is awkward to modern eyes. I shall look locally for more about the brother. They were both bachelors, with long service at the old Royal Infirmary in Liverpool.

Daggers

Hello,

any detail on 117th(H) Brigade after it's return from Egypt particularly 1918 or is a trip to the Archives needed?

Thanks,

Ant

Does anyone have anything on the 4th Highland Mountain Battery, RGA, please?

RobL: I have quite a bit of information on the 4th Highland Mt Brigade, RGA. What do you need? Regards, Dick Flory

Ken: I do not have anything on 214th Siege Battery, RGA but their war diary for the period January 1917 to January 1918 can be found at The National Archives under WO 95/468. Regards, Dick Flory

Anthony: I have nothing on 117th Brigade, RFA but Its war diaries are at The National Archives as follows:

Sept - Oct 1915: WO 95/2252

Nov 1915 - May 1917: WO 95/4865

July 1917 - April 1918: WO 95/4675

May 1918 -July 1919: WO 95/3150

Regards, Dick Flory

RobL: I have quite a bit of information on the 4th Highland Mt Brigade, RGA. What do you need? Regards, Dick Flory

Pretty much everything that you'd be willing/isn't too time consuming to send over if possible Dick, my great-grandad served in the unit, after many years of interest in WW1 i've only just recently found out about a direct-descendant having served in the war so trying to find out what I can!

Many thanks for your time Dick.

Ant

• 5 weeks later...

Dick,

Is there any information concerning the loss of 286 battery, RGA, in the history of the 77 th Brigade, RGA? I think the Bty was overrun on the 27th May 1918.

Regards,

Jack

Jack: From The History of 77th Brigade, R.G.A France 1916-19:

By the morning of May 25th . . . 286th Siege Battery were making their old French pits suitable for their howitzers.

. . . On the morning of the 26th the General Officer Commanding Royal Artillery walked around the Bois de Marais and instructed the Brigade Commander to stand fast with the heavy howitzers, as he considered they were being placed too far forward, a proposition with which the Brigade Commander very thoroughly concurred. Unfortunately 286th Siege Battery had already got four of their howitzers up and the platforms laid. . .

At 5 o'clock that afternoon the Brigadier General, Heavy Artillery sent word for the Brigade Commanders to come over at once; we were informed that two German prisoners had given away the fact that an attack was to be made the following morning at 5 A.M., preceded by a bombardment timed to commence at 1 A.M., and were ordered to make all possible preparations. . .

Batteries were warned as soon as possible of the impending attack., 286th Battery being ordered to get their guns into the pits and get ready for action, and all ranks were ordered to have their gas masks on by 1 A.M. . .

The attack started at 5 A.M. and the enemy advanced in great strength. . . The 8th Division was completely overwhelmed and the French on the left of the Craonne plateau were very soon driven back and retired leaving the flank of the 50th Division entirely exposed. . . To save the guns was absolutely impossible; where it could be done the guns were destroyed and the personnel retired over the river. . . 286th Seige Battery were more fortunate and succeeded in getting a large proportion [of personnel] clear. . .

Losses that day for 286th Siege Battery were: 1 officer killed, 1 wounded and 1 missing; 3 men killed19 wounded, 2 men wounded and missing; and 22 missing (prisoners of war).

The battery position for 286th Siege Battery near Pontavert was vacated at 8:30 A.M. on May 27th and the personnel split into three parties, passed through Fismes between 3 and 5 in the afternoon under desultory shelling. The three parties separated, one party reaching Fere-en-Tardenois on foot at 1 A.M., the 28th, another getting to Arcy le Ponsart at 11 P.M., the 27th, and the third, with the one remaining gun, marching to Largery and staying the night there with the Siege Park.

On the 28th one party moved to Chateau Thierry, the other two to Mezy, south of the Marne. On the 29th the three parties met together and rejoined the Brigade near Festigny, where the one howizer was brought into action, ready to cover the bridge at Pont-a-Binson.

Regards, Dick Flory

• 2 weeks later...

Dick

I'm researching a relative

Gunner James Willie Barker

Royal Field Artillery

"C" Battery 87th Brigade

He is buried in St Vaast Richebourg L'Avoue

Have you anything on 87th Brigade RFA - I am trying to establish where his battery would have been located in the winter to March 1916 at the time of his demise on 22nd March.

Regards

JerryC

• 4 months later...

Hello Dick

I am trying to find the location of the 220th Siege Battery Oct 1918 when 74680 Corporal Alexander Clark was killed.

He died in the 13th Field Ambulance Advanced Dressing Station from a GSW to the chest 14th Oct 1918.

As far as I can gather the 13th FA was in the 5th Div till Apr 1918, but no sign after that or of the 220th SB

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

HI:

Can anyone help with The War Diary of the 84th Battery, R.F.A. by W.W. Green? It apparently dates from the 1920s but was reprinted in 2006 by the elusive Armchair Auctions.

I'm trying to find details of Lt. William Hope Hodgson (1877-1918), and what his Battery was doing between October 1917 when he joined and April 1918 when he was killed by a bursting shell. Hodgson was a writer (and his writings are covered in a couple of other threads, e.g. here), but I'm trying to detail as much as possible what he did during the war. I understand there are some specific comments on him in the War Diary, but have been unable to find a copy. Can anyone help with the details or scans of the appropriate pages?

Thanks

Doug

Hi Dick, unfortunately didn't hear anything from you regarding 4th Highland Mountain Battery RGA - my e-mail is rob.langham @ gmail.com if you could send me anything over. Hoping to find some old gun positions or the locations of them on a trip to Salonika in September and will be heading back to Gallipoli in 2014 and ideally find some there