Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

Hi, I'm researching the 12 motorcycle despatch riders assigned to 5th Signal Company in 1914 - no, wait a moment. I'm not in the wrong place!

One of the twelve, Edward Farquharson Burkitt Orr, was commissioned in the RFA and killed in action on 24 March 1918 (according to CWGC). He was serving with the HQ 173 Bde RFA. Have you any advice how I could find any details about his service in the months preceding his death, and/or the circumstances of his death?

By the way, I'm visiting TNA next week when I should be able to look at the Unit War Diary, but I've got no expectation about how informative it will be.

thanks

1 hour ago, vintagesunbeam said:

Have you any advice how I could find any details about his service in the months preceding his death, and/or the circumstances of his death?

By the way, I'm visiting TNA next week when I should be able to look at the Unit War Diary, but I've got no expectation about how informative it will be.

Why not order his file while you are there? - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1096345

EFB Orr has a photo and interesting write-up of his career, death, family etc  here on FindmyPast BritishNewspaperArchive. Here are just a few bits extracted. There is a lot more.

Enlisting the day after war was declared, he started as a motor despatch rider and his service in France gets a couple of mentions in a book by Major Watson, The Adventures of a Motor Despatch Rider, Some 14 months later he returned home for a commission in the RFA. ....  For the six weeks before he was killed he was acting as Reconnaissance Officer...

Orr EFB death1918KentCourier.JPG

Better to start a dedicated thread.

Charlie962

Edited by charlie962

Wow, thank you both!

As it happens I've already seen his personal file, which contains a lot of correspondence between his family and the War Office about his effects after his death, but nothing about how the circumstances of his death. The newspaper quote is really helpful and informative

You could say that it does! It was in fact the starting point for my research - if you look at my posts in 5th Division Signal Company in 1914 - 15 you'll see that I started with the book and I've been trying to trace the despatch riders Watson served with. Apart from Fielding-Johnson whose death is recorded on 23 August 1914 (but was actually last seen alive on 24 August) Orr was the only one of the twelve who didn't survive the war.

The revealing thing about the newspaper article is that Orr was talked about as one of the characters in the book - apart from Fielding-Johnson, it so happens that he was the only one whose surname was used by Watson

c17hux:  The war diary for 250th Siege Battery, RGA for the period 1 Dec 1916 to 31 Jan 1918 is available at The National Archives under WO 95/296/4.  It can be downloaded online at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ for £3.45.   There is also a handwritten 13-page document titled History of 250 Siege Battery, R.G.A.

Hi rflory,

I have a question about " 27th Battery, RFA, 1914-1919." Would you have happened to have come across the name Lt. Edgar Harry Haddock (121st Battery, 27th Brigade)? Or any mention of the 121st Battery on October 20th, 1918, and or November 4th, 1918? I have been researching my great-great-grandfather, and he was rewarded a medal for gallantry during one of those days according to the Edinburgh Gazette, and the war diary from that period mentions little than a congratulations to the battery. And or any information on the Narrative of the 5th Divisional Artillery? 

Thanks!,

Ty

• 5 months later...

Still looking into the history of the 250th Siege Battery. I have been informed that personnel joined from 426th Siege Battery RGA.  However, I can't find any information on the 426th Siege.  Can anyone provide any further information. 

Hi rflory, what an impressive collection you have!

I was wondering if 'Record of the 3rd Devonshire Battery' has anything regarding an A. A. Pollard? I've come across a Webley attributed to him and am looking to find out more.

Many thanks,

Ian

• 4 months later...

if anyone wants the 5th brigade war diary i can send it to you :)

Hi

i'm really new to this stream so please forgive responding to Dick's kind offer from 2004.  I'm looking into my Great Uncle (Driver Frank Alfred Waring) who was in the 41st battalion of the 42nd brigade RFA. He died on 12 October 1917 at the dressing station at Branshoek. Can anybody shed any light on that brigade or battalion or what they were doing on the 12 October, or just before to land him in the dressing station?  Thanking you all. 

Geoff 

• 1 month later...

Hi rflory

It would be great if you had any information about 144th Siege Battery, R. G. A leading up to and around November 1917. My great-great uncle, Sydney Alfred King, was a Gunner in the 144th and died on 28 November 1917. We are planning on visiting his grave at Ypres 100 years on, and any information to take with us would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Steve

• 11 months later...

Hello,  I don't suppose you have anything on Q (Sanna's Post) battery and in particular their role in the 100 days 1918?  They were commanded during this period by my wife's grandfather Robert Staveley. Many thanks.

Peter Merriman

Major movements and actions of Q Battery, RHA from 9 Jul 18 to the end of the war based on Some pages from the History of "Q" Battery, RHA in the Great War:

9 Jul 18: moved into position 2 miles east of Corbie

2 Aug 18: occupied a forward position 1000 feet west of Hamel

8 Aug 18: battery fired a creeping barrage for 2 1/2 hours firing 1800 rounds. At 8:30am moved into position just east of Hazel Wood firing in support of the infantry. At 11:15am moved to ridge just east of Susan Wood.

10 Aug 18: in position one mile SW of Proyart

23 Aug 18: took part in battle of Chuignes

24 Aug 18: Major Burne left Battery, Cpt F R Watson took command

Sept 18: participated in the battle of Mont St. Quentin supporting the 1st Division.

12 Sep 18: Major R. Staveley took command of battery at Devise

Michaelmas Day, 1918: Battery in support of 46 Division during the battle of the Hindenburg Line.  The right section of Q Battery were the first guns in action on the far side of the Hindenburg Line.

1-5 Oct 18: Took up position 500 yds south of Etricourt and supported the capture of the Beaurevior-Fonsomme Line

8 Oct 18: Took part in the action of Sequehart

23 Oct 18: Battery moved forward and came into action at Arbre de Guise, ready to support the attack on Catillon and the Sambre-Oise Canal

4 Nov 18: Took part in the battle of the Sambre-Oise Canal which was captured by nightfall. After the battle Q Battery was sent to Le Cateau for rest.

16 Nov 18: Began the march to the Rhine

15 Dec 18: The battery led 16 Brigade, RHA into Germany

Middle of April 1919: Major Staveley left the battery due to orders to report to the War Office.

Regards, Dick Flory

• 2 months later...
On 03/07/2016 at 18:41, c17hux said:

Anyone know where the history of 250 siege battery can be purchased? 

not sure about a history but the war diary is at Kew

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/693ff3496ec94bff9062fd163a16ee6e

• 4 months later...

Hello, all. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get in my research. Since I live in the US, going to Kew to view the archives is not possible at this time.

I'm seeking help researching a Webley Mark VI Service Revolver and holster. The holster is stamped CWDW 14 HB RGA. I think that means the 14th Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. It appears the unit left for France on 20 May 1915. I think the CWDW might be the owner's initials. Does anyone have any information on the unit or can you point me in the direction of some online resource I could use for further research?

1 hour ago, Yeoman007 said:

Hello, all. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get in my research. Since I live in the US, going to Kew to view the archives is not possible at this time.

I'm seeking help researching a Webley Mark VI Service Revolver and holster. The holster is stamped CWDW 14 HB RGA. I think that means the 14th Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. It appears the unit left for France on 20 May 1915. I think the CWDW might be the owner's initials. Does anyone have any information on the unit or can you point me in the direction of some online resource I could use for further research?

Welcome to the forum Yeoman.

Can I suggest that you will generate a greater response by starting a new thread  in the 'Soldiers' catagory with a heading something like 'looking for an officer in 14 HB RGA'.

This will easily attract those who will be only too pleased to help.

Regards

Alan 

• 6 months later...

I am trying to identify an RFA unit which disembarked for the BEF on 21 August 1914.

As far as I can gather, this was too late for the 1, 2, 3 & 5 Divs, and too early for 4 Div, but, presumably, not everyone crossed the Channel on the same day, and there would have been advance and rear parties ?

On 24/03/2019 at 20:22, Yeoman007 said:

You could try the c1915 Army Lists. These are available on line at https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/91519308

1 hour ago, Maidenhead Curator said:

I am trying to identify an RFA unit which disembarked for the BEF on 21 August 1914.

Maidenhead Curator,

The first reinforcements for the 1st Divisional Artillery (5 Offs, 327 ORs) arrived at No. 1 General Base Depot, Havre on August 21, 1914.

First reinforcements for the other divisions followed on subsequent days. They were not destined for any particular unit.

Yeoman007 wrote: "The holster is stamped CWDW 14 HB RGA."

I am quite sure that the holster belonged to 2LT C W D Ward. He joined 14th Heavy Battery, RGA on 30 Oct 1914 and transferred to 114th Heavy Battery on 21 Sept 1915. For more information on the battery you should obtain a copy of War Diary and Roll of Honor 14th Heavy Battery RGA in France, Belgium and Germany 1915-16-17-18-19 which has been reprinted by Naval and Military Press.

Edited by rflory

• 2 months later...

There have been threads earlier on 257 and 325 brigades which began life as 1/1 and 1/2  Lowland Artillery.  The threads confirm that they didn't overseas but that some (all??) batteries were detached and did go overseas.

My man had an second number of 650310 which is in the 257/325 renumbering batch.  His original number was 805 which may have been was 1/2 Lowland (811 then 650314 was 1/2 then 260 Bde at least to start with) .  His date of entry to France was 24 Oct 1915.  His service record has not survived. 

I have found the LLT piece on 260 Brigade which was 257, I can't find anything on the later fate of 325 Brigade.

I appreciate that I shall almost certainly not know for sure which brigade he went to France with let alone what his subsequent service was but perhaps the date of entry to France narrows the possibilities a bit?  A pointer to a previous answer would suffice, it may have been covered before!

I'd be most grateful for help with this.

Happy New Year!

Max

Max,

1/1st Lowland Brigade RFA did go overseas, joining 1/1st Highland (51st) Division.

They briefly became 257th Brigade RFA but were mostly 260th Brigade RFA.

October 24, 1915 is consistent with this brigade arriving in France.

I would go further and say your man was in 1/1st City of Edinburgh Battery.

If he stayed with them, he would have been in A/257 then A/260, and from January 1917 in C/315 Army Field Artillery Brigade.

The 2nd line of this brigade should be 2/1st Lowland Brigade RFA.

325th Brigade RFA has a complicated history but served on the East Coast and in Ireland.