Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

The War Diary of the 84th Battery, R.F.A. indicates the following about Lt W H Hodgson:

10 Oct 17: Lieut. Hodgson joined the batter. At the time the battery was 2,000 yards in front of Rugby Dump

13 Oct to 26 Oct 17: Battery at rest near St. Omer.

18 Apr 18 to 23 Apr 18: Battery retired to forward slope of Mont Rouge. Position found untenable so withdrawal continued to back of Mont Rouge, near Windmill. Battery engaged in heavy firing all day and night.

23 Apr 18: Lieutenant Hope Hodgson, and Gnr Woolcot, C, killed whilst F.O.O. on Mount Kemmel - April 23rd (reported missing, death confirmed by Adjutant 1st Leicesters).

From University of London Officers Training Corps Roll of War Service 1914-1919:

Son of Rev. S. Hodgson of Borth

Invalided in June 1916

Served in France and Flanders from October 1917 to April 1918

Killed in action by a shell at a forward observation post on 17 April 1918

Buried at Dranoutre

Peter wrote:

am trying to find the location of the 220th Siege Battery Oct 1918 when 74680 Corporal Alexander Clark was killed. He died in the 13th Field Ambulance Advanced Dressing Station from a GSW to the chest 14th Oct 1918.

Unfortunately I am unable to assist you as the war diary for 220th Siege Battery, RGA is only available for the period March to November 1917 and I do not know of any unit history for the Battery.

JerryC: Unfortunately I have nothing on 87th Brigade, but the Brigade's war diary for the period July 1915 to October 1918 is available at The National Archives under WO 95/2067.

RobL: I would be happy to assist you if you could narrow the focus of your question. The 29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book 1915-1918 has information on the actions of the Brigade in Gallipoli but does not have much detail about the locations of gun positions of the Brigade. The war diaries of the Argyll and Bute Mountains Batteries have some information on positions of those batteries but I do not have digital copies of either of those war diaries.

Dick, thanks very much for the info on Hodgson from the War Diary of the 84th R.F.A.

A few follow-up questions:

1) From Oct to April, was the battery basically situated around St. Omer?

2) Any details gleanable about "Gnr Woolcot, C"--like his first name?--who was killed at the same time as Hodgson?

3) Any indication of the name of Hodgson's Commanding Officer at the time?

4) The "W.W. Green" who authored the War Diary---does it give his full name (i.e., what the "W.W." stands for)?

Thanks again. It's very kind of you to help people with questions. Your colleciton and knowledge is outstanding!

Doug

Doug: Below are the answers to your follow-up questions:

1. 10 Oct 17: Lieut. Hodgson joined the batter. At the time the battery was 2,000 yards in front of Rugby Dump

13 Oct to 26 Oct 17: Battery at rest near St. Omer.

27 Oct to 9 Nov 17: Took over position on Steenbeke, near Waterloo Bridge

9 Nov to 15 Nov 17: Moved to new position 400 yards to the right flank (south)

16 Nov to 21 Nov 17: Relieved by another battery and moved to wagon lines at Dawson's Corner

21 Nov to 2 Dec 17: In rest billets near Houtquerque

2 Dec 17 to 3 Jan 18 Relieved French battery at Lancier Farm, Houthoulst Forest

3 Jan 18 to 2 Feb 18: In rest billets near Handekot

2 Feb 18 to 15 Feb 18: Battery in Corps Reserve at Woestan

15 Feb 18 to 27 Feb 18: Four guns at Lancier Fine

27 Feb 18 to 12 Mar 18: Four guns at Forge Fine

12 Mar 18 to 30 Mar 18: Battery moved a little south to positions at Brombeek

30 Mar 18 to 2 Apr 18: Battery in position near Cannes Farm, Tourelle Crossroads; OP at Egypt House; later withdrew to wagon lines

2 Apr 18 to 11 Apr 18: Battery took over position at Touquet Berthe just behind wood and in front of village; left section in advanced position about 1,600 yards behind front lines

12 Apr 18 to 13 Apr 18: Battery went into action on Neuve Eglise ridge

13 Apr 18 to 17 Apr 18: Battery took up position on railway crossing north of Dranoutre near Kemmel Hill

17 Apr 18 to 18 Apr 18: Battery withdrew at night and took position near Loere Chateau.

18 Apr 18 to 24 Apr 18: Battery initially located on forward slope of Mont Rouge, but then withdrew to back slope of Mont Rouge, near Windmill.

2. I cannot find any RFA Gunner by that name

3. His commanding officer was Major W W Green

4. Major William Wyndham Green, DSO, MC*, RFA

• 2 months later...

Hi Dick,

Not a request for a look-up in a book as such, but with your interest in RA officers in WWI you may well be able to help me with another conundrum (well, a couple actually).

Would you mind if I posted my query here, only currently you don't appear to be able to receive PMs?

Kind regards

Steve

Steve: Post here or PM which ever you prefer. My PM box was full but is working again. Regards, Dick Flory

That's very kind of you Dick,

My first conundrum is this; in the service papers of one of the 5 Siege Battery men I've been researching is a letter relating to the man's entitlement to the clasp to the 1914 Star. In this letter the chap refers to the then battery commander Percy Douglas Hamilton, and also the officer of the battery ammunition column - what I read as a Captain 'Hollingshead'. I've never come across this name before in connection with 5 Siege Battery; the only MIC I can find to an officer with this surname (C L Blundell Hollingshead) is of the Grenadier Guards who arrived in France as a Lieutenant in November 1914, and in WO 339 the only likely candidate I can find is a J. Hollingshead.

Do you have any ideas who this chap could be; is he someone you have come across in your research?

Secondly, something that still eludes me with my 5 Siege Battery research is being able to identify the OC of the battery for the best part of 1918, and the OC at the time the cadre of the battery returned to England at the start of April 1919.

Here is what I have to date:

Arthur Wynton Langley was still OC at the end of 1917 (from the battery war diary - Langley's service papers, to my knowledge, are still with the MoD, so I have not seen them for more details), and from a later Gazette entry he was promoted to Brigade Major at the end of May 1918 (my assumption being he remained OC until this time; the 46 Brigade RGA war diary, to which 5 S Bty belonged at the time, gives no details in this regard).

Raymond John Heelas, who was promoted at the same time became 2nd in command of the battery at the end of May 1918, and then OC in October 1918. He left the battery before it returned to England in 1919 (I have a copy of Heelas' papers).

Have you ever come across any references indicating who the OC for 5 S Bty was from May to October 1918? (Or, indeed, earlier in the year if my assumption regarding Langley being OC until May 1918 is incorrect.) Similarly are you aware of who the last OC of the battery was?

I seem to have hit a brick wall with this one; if you have any pointers or ideas for leads I could follow I would really appreciate your advice.

Many thanks & kind regards

Steve

• 2 months later...
Guest AERolfe

Hi rflory,

Do you have anything on the 124(s) battery who were at Ypres for the 3rd battle. My grandfather was a signaller lance bombardier with them.

AERolfe: I have the war diary of 124th Siege Battery, RGA from July 1916 to January 1918 but it is 151 pages long. Is there any particular dates that you are interested in? If your grandfather was killed or wounded it is possible that his death or wounding might be mentioned. He might also be mentioned if he was decorated, but barring those possibilities he probably will not have been mentioned. Dick Flory

Steve: Sorry about being so tardy in answering your questions but I must have missed your message when it was originally posted and just saw it today. I will try to answer your questions:

1. 5th Siege Battery, RGA went to France on 29 Sept 1914 and at that time its officers were: Major Percy Douglas Hamilton, commanding; Capt. L N Stephens; Lt A W Langley; Lt R A N Smyth; and 2nd Lt E C Scott (information from the 1914 Star medal roll for 5th Siege Battery, 2nd Siege Artillery Brigade, RGA). By May 1916, Major P D Harding was Officer Commanding, 27th Brigade, RGA He was promoted Lt Colonel on 30 Oct 1914 so probably left 5th Siege Battery about that time. The officers of 2nd Brigade Ammunition Column, RGA (AC for the brigade in which 5th Siege Battery was serving) were Major E L Hardcastle, Commanding; Lt (DO) A H Wales; and Lt C J Ryan. (from 1914 Star medal roll for 2nd Bde AC, RGA). In September 1914 Captain Henry Neville Brock Hollingshead, RGA was second-in-command of 6th Siege Battery, 2nd Siege Artillery Brigade, RGA which went to France on the same day as 5th Siege Battery, RGA.

2. You are correct that Major A W Langley commanded 5th Siege Battery, RGA until 24 May 1918 when he became Brigade Major, 19th Corps on 24 May 1918 (The Quarterly Army List, October 1920). I do not have any information on who commanded the battery from May to October 1918, nor do I have any info on who was the last OC of the battery, although I would guess it was some Lieutenant or 2nd Lieutenant who was in charge of only a small cadre, any more senior officer would have probably left for home or for the occupation of Germany by that time.

Regards, Dick

That's super Dick,

Thanks ever so much. Percy Douglas Hamilton left the battery at the end of January 1915, and went on to comand the Harwich Garrison, he was replaced by Major John H H Jones who joined the battery on 1st February 1915 (as I understand he was originally the adjutant of 2nd Siege Artillery Brigade). Jones left the battery on 27th February 1916 on appointment to Brigade Major, and was, in turn, replaced by Arthur Wynton Langley (by then a Captain) as OC on 5th March 1916.

Thanks again and kind regards

Steve

• 1 month later...

I have recently started to delve into the WW1 records etc. to find info about my grandfather, although i found good documents of his service history, there are parts missing, and i would dearly like to see if anyone out there has any pictures that may have my grandfather in.

His name was James Moore, born in Waterford in 1888, joined the britsh army at Templmore, Tipperary, in 1907 and was posted to the royal regiment of artillery. later he went to England attached to RFA Units, 36th battery, 146th battery. he was put on reserve with 13th reserve brigade after 6 years service. In 1914 he was remobilised and went with the BEF to france attched to 52nd battery, 15 brgade RFA. and was present at the battle of Mons, and La Cateau. he was wounded in the left leg and was captured on 26th August 1914 and posted woulded amd missing. he came to life in 1916 as being POW, at Cellelager and Soltau. later to be transferred to Switzerland in late 1918. the period of time from capture and repatriation is very vague. is there anyway i can find out more info of where the germans would have taken him for wound treatment, and what pow hospital he may have been in. I would also like to find out where he was taken to in Switzerland, if he was classified as invalid or war wounded. as a child up to the age of 10 years i knew him and lived with him and he had deformities from the war and his time in the royal field artillery. He passed on in 1959. He ended up as a Gunner, and his army number was 46080.

Thanks, if anyone has info i would appreciate it

Roger Jarvis

• 3 weeks later...

Sir, I am very interested in anything to do with 27th Battery as it served with 32 Brigade which was the forerunner of my old regiment 42nd which was disbanded in 1977. here is a link to my web site

http://www.42regt.com/

regards chris dunham

Thank you for a very generous offer of help. I'm sure you have been overwhelmed with questions. If you do have time and could look up any information on Driver Arthur Hollins RFA 31335. Born 1897, Rugeley, Staffordshire. Sorry I don't have any more info than that but would love to know what and where my grandfather served during WWI.

Thanks

Tony

Chris Dunham wrote: "I am very interested in anything to do with 27th Battery".

Chris: There is a 48-page pamphlet entitled "27th Battery, R.F.A. 1914-1919" that gives a short history of the battery and has a list of officers and other ranks serving with the battery from August 1914 to April 1919. Unfortunately I only have a poor copy of the pages (32-48) listing these officers and men. You may be able to find a copy of this pamphlet if you have not already seen it. If you do find a copy, or have a copy, I would love to have a good photocopy of the pamphlet.

Regards, Dick Flory

"Tonybu10" and "roger jarvis": I am afraid that I have nothing on either of your other ranks. They are rarely mentioned in war diaries and unit histories.

• 3 months later...

looking for information about a Bombardier William Hughes Died of his wounds 25/3/1918 D Battery 108 brigade R.F.A. ? Was a police officer in Liverpool Before he Joined up

• 3 months later...

Hello Dick

I am trying to find the location of the 220th Siege Battery Oct 1918 when 74680 Corporal Alexander Clark was killed.

He died in the 13th Field Ambulance Advanced Dressing Station from a GSW to the chest 14th Oct 1918.

As far as I can gather the 13th FA was in the 5th Div till Apr 1918, but no sign after that or of the 220th SB

Peter

Hi

I don't know if this will help but I think this will link to his war grave where I have posted a picture of his grave which was in my grandfathers album. He also was in the 220th with him. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=25222974.

Kg

simon123: Sorry, but I do not have anything on 108th Brigade, RFA but their war diary for the period Feb 1917 to Sept 1918 is available at The National Archives under WO 95/456.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris B,...your post #119 above.

Trawlling through GWF last night I came across your posting #119 regarding Gunner Skilling and 125 HB. I don’t know if you have found the answer in the intervening years but I have recently come across some information which will help.

Gunner AEJ Skilling would have died of wounds, received whilst the Battery were at St. Julian (5km NE of Ypres, Belgium) probably in early December rather than KIA. The fact is, as at 31/12/17 125 HB and the whole of 7th Brigade (of which 125 HB were part) was out on rest in France, Ham-en-Artois, near Lillers.

The 125’s time in the Ypres Salient (11.09.17 to 18.12.17) was their worst of times in terms of casualties, being shelled and air bombed for much of it, even the wagon lines were subjected to air bombs. The Battery had 3 locations during this period, Hill Top, Hinty Farm and St. Julian. Wagon lines being on the Watteau (Watou? )Road at Vlamentinge Chateau and Hamhoek.

The guns were put out of action on 18th Dec 1917 and parked at the wagon lines in Hamhoek where they stayed until Boxing Day. The 125 then set out for billets at Ham-en-Artois, over the French border, for a month’s rest with the rest of 7th Brigade. The first half of 125 arrived on 29 Dec 1917 with the rear-guard arriving on 31 Dec 1917, led by Lieut. Flucke . The Battery remained on rest until 2nd Feb 1918 when they returned to the line, taking over the gun positions from 110 HB, who then went on rest at Ham-en-Artois.

Hopefully this answers your question as to the whereabouts of 125 HB on 31/12/17.

Alan.

Edited by Alan24