Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry Pension Records

DaveMurphy

enhanced view did the trick - thanks guys

it does pose the question - why can I read this copy when the copy I saw at the NA was fire and water damaged - not that I mind :)

If a person is found on Ancestry it's still worth checking the records at Kew. My Great grandfather has 11 pages of records on Ancestry and 20 at Kew!

Regards

Dave

Could someone with a membership help me by seeing if these two soldiers are included in the paperwork?

ELLISON, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/04/1918

Service No: 306846

Additional information: Son of James and Annie Ellison, of 1, Holt St., Liverpool; husband of Emily Ellison, of 24, Moorgate St., Edge Hill, Liverpool.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 27 to 30.

Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL

Name: ELLISON, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/04/1917

Service No: 13835

Additional information: Son of James and Annie Ellison, of 31, Holt St., Edge Hill, Liverpool.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: E. 1053.

Cemetery: KARASOULI MILITARY CEMETERY

Thanks

Hi louvain,

No hits based on the regiment number and names.

However the notes on the data base do state:

# These records are unlikely to contain information on individuals who did not claim a pension.

# These records are unlikely to contain documents on soldiers who were killed in action and had no dependents (as there would have been no one to claim a pension).

# These records are unlikely to contain documents on soldiers who were discharged from demobilization at the end of the war and did not claim a pension (since they were generally not eligible for one).

Doug

May be of use to note Ive just found more of one chaps papers by clicking backwards rather than forward....

good fun eh - shame its not raining as really need to go out!

I have my suspicions that it doesn't always reset back to the first page when someone accesses it but opens the page that was last opened previously.

Makes it interesting. :rolleyes:

Hi louvain,

However the notes on the data base do state:

# These records are unlikely to contain documents on soldiers who were killed in action and had no dependents (as there would have been no one to claim a pension).

Doug

I was very surprised to find a Pension Record for Gt Uncle Tom Ridge died of wounds 1/6/1916 with 2 Northants.

We knew he had served with the Royal Fusiliers at home but from the records it transpires he was discharged from the Fusiliers 24 Feb 1915 in Dover "Not being likely to become an efficient soldier - Medical Grounds - Defective Eyesight"

I wonder if he ever told the family?

Did he get on a train and join the first unit who would take him?

We'll probably never know.

Jane

Ive discovered a lot of interesting information.......for example I didnt know that the Coldstream Guards served in Russia in 1919 attached to another regiment.

Steve.

Proverbial needle in a haystack.

Trying hard to find my grandfathers record but, he's called John Robinson, and as fast as I can say Jack Robinson I'm getting nowhere.

I'm happy to accept any help I can get and despite putting all details that I have birth year, birthplace, county, service number etc i'm snookered.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be eternally grateful.

Name :- John Robinson. (did have middle name of Chew but MIC does not record this)

Birth Place:- Darlaston, Staffordshire ( Registration District, Walsall)

Birth Year 1892 ( 23/6/1892)

Service No:- 24905 ( 14th Durham Light Infantry) and 94504 ( Royal Northumberland Fusiliers)

Can't seem to narrow it down at all. Despite being born in the midlands his formative years were North eastern, Hartlepool and East Durham.

Anyone help please?

Jack

Tried more combinations than a Rubiks Cube.

I know he survived, I knew him. I know he had a pension from wounds received. I know he was demobilised in 1920.

Spent almost a full day trawling through every John Robinson in the vain hope I too would have a "Eureka" moment.

There is always the very highly likelihood that the record did not survive.

Guess its a trip to Kew for me then just to put my mind at rest.

Oh well.

Jack

I know he survived, I knew him. I know he had a pension from wounds received. I know he was demobilised in 1920.

Spent almost a full day trawling through every John Robinson in the vain hope I too would have a "Eureka" moment.

Oh well.

Jack

Jack

As has been pointed out earlier in the thread the documents on Ancestry are only a small percentage of those that existed, so it is in no way unusual that you can't find your man even though he claimed a pension.

Andy

I suggest we might need a new Topic put on the Forum for knowledge to be passed on to help with the Pension Records. Similar to the one in the Documents section "Interpreting medal index cards"

Terry

Oh well.

Jack

Did he sign up for the duration? If so:

WO 364 : Soldiers Discharged to Pension

These service records relate to:

- discharges of regular soldiers at the end of their period of service. Men who signed up for the duration of the war did not get pensions: instead they got a gratuity on demobilisation, and will not be found here unless they received a pension on medical grounds.

- discharges on medical and associated grounds, including those who died after the award of a pension.

Doug

It would be a shame to make the jouney to Kew only to discover there is a typo on the Ancestry database! I`ll leave you to trawl through the Smiths!

What if a pension was revoked? Will the papers still be there. I knew a chap who lost his pension having been discovered to be working.

I`m getting a 95 precent hit rate on guards, yet 5 percent on Lincolnshire Regiment. Is there a reason for this?

I suggest we might need a new Topic put on the Forum for knowledge to be passed on to help with the Pension Records. Similar to the one in the Documents section "Interpreting medal index cards"

Terry

Terry

I think that is an excellent suggestion.

Did he sign up for the duration? If so:

WO 364 : Soldiers Discharged to Pension

These service records relate to:

- discharges of regular soldiers at the end of their period of service. Men who signed up for the duration of the war did not get pensions: instead they got a gratuity on demobilisation, and will not be found here unless they received a pension on medical grounds.

- discharges on medical and associated grounds, including those who died after the award of a pension.

Doug

Doug

Thanks for this, its very useful to know.

As far as I am aware my grandad signed up for the duration. He received wounds for which he received a pension ( according to my mother), he returned to his unit after treatment. He demobbed in April 1920. As I understand it a gratuity is a one off payment for, as an example, meritorious service.

He may well be there but given the amount of Robinsons many of them with surname only and no other details, I'm loathe to rely upon the skill of a data inputter to be 100% accurate. I find it frustrating that everything the search engine asks for I have yet it can't come back with a near match.

It's either Kew or a researcher. I'll have a weekend away with my better half. I'm sure she'd be thrilled.

When these records were first released on microfilm at TNA many years ago, I searched for my grandfathers records but did not find them. Every time there was a new release I searched again but to no effect. So I never expected to find anything on Ancestry yesterday and was amazed to find 12 pages for T608 Saddler Staff Sergeant Herd Oates of Leeds, complete with a letter from him in 1908, on his saddlers headed notepaper, asking the Officer Commanding the 7th Bn West Yorks Regiment for a transfer to the Army Service Corps. He "wished to follow my trade as saddler and there are not many opportunities to do so in the regiment you command..."

There are details of his service from 1898 - 1913 and dates and places of the annual training, which are all a bonus.

Judging by the writing on page 1 of the TF transfer I think the papers might have been wrongly filed under the surname of Wales. Had it not been for Ancestry, I would never have found these records.

Could anyone tell me whether I have sufficient information now to search the War Diaries, knowing that my grandfather served in 1/1st West Riding Div Army Service Corps, 1915/6.

June

The West Riding Division was later re-named the 49th Division. The War Diary is filed under the 49th Division Divisional Troops:

WO 95/2791 Divisional Train (463-464-465 & 466 Companies A.S.C.) 1915 Apr. - 1919 Mar.

Steve.

Terry

It's called The Long, Long Trail. There's a link top left of this page. It has taken ten years to develop so far. :rolleyes:

Joan. Sorry no George Smythes Royal Irish Rifles number 9001 on the site as I can see. Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

I just checked and saw 5 George Smyth listed-----no 'e', also he was born in Belfast, I would greatly appreciate if, once more, you could check.

Many thanks for the first time.

Joan

G'day Team,

Am wondering if a kind hearted Pal could do a look up on the following chap for me:

Private Joseph Murphy, 7th Battalion Gordon Highland Regt S-22648

I don't expect he shall be there, but it is worth a shot!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I've had a quick peek and there are 78 permutations of that name. None seems to be your man unfortunately - sorry!

Iwan