Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry Pension Records

DaveMurphy

Hi Doris,

I have tried all the permutations I can think of with the additional information you provided and he is still not coming up.

Sorry,

Doug

Wonderful news, fast and very flexible as well, found two relatives I didn't know had served by simply putting in surname and birth parish.

A bit of advice, the page linked into the index (ie the first one you get) is not necessarily the first page in the record. Try going to previous record (the backward green arrow) and you may find more pages (9 in one of my cases) each record start with 'New File' slip but don't rely on this.

Peter

Found my great-grandads date of enlistment ( a man with an R.E. number 2 different, same place of enlistment, and was in fact his brother's brother in law), but they went to different Theatres so no clue on his Company (though I'm pretty convinced now that he was a Corps Signal Company man...) Gaaargh! So close...

Steve.

And there was me thinking we were going to have to wait until 2008.

I know what you all mean about getting too many hits when you include too little information and too few (or none) when you include too little.......

I'm looking for two soldiers, William Henry Harris (KIA at Loos) and Sidney Francis Easton (who survived; he married William's widow Gertrude in 1920). I seem to have been able to hone things down pretty well for the former (two "possibles") but not the latter (no luck at all, but I'd be surprised if there was no pension claim, since he was wounded).

Anyone willing/able to do a better look-up before I stump up the loot?

Cheers,

JWF

1) Harris

From CWGC:

Name: HARRIS, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Devonshire Regiment

Unit Text: "B" Coy. 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 30/09/1915 [Loos]

Service No: 14096

Additional information: Son of William Henry Harris, of Barnstaple, Devon; husband of Gertrude Easton (formerly Harris), of 210, High St., High Barnet, Herts. [born approx. 1886 or 1887 at Bradiford or Pilton, Devon; resided and enlisted in Swansea]

From NA medal cards:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

2) Easton:

Was supposedly in the Royal Flying Corps (as a gunner) and later ground for disciplinary reasons and became a sniper according to family story, but doesn't show up as such on the medal records and there appear to be no sign of him in the pension records. He was born in Barnet in the second quarter of 1895.

Found a possible, who served in the Middlesex Regiment and later the Royal Fusiliers, in the medal records:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=9

And, maybe with a mispelling as SYndey instead of SIdney

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=3

Hi Doris,

I have tried all the permutations I can think of with the additional information you provided and he is still not coming up.

Sorry,

Doug

Doug:

Thank you very much for looking. Much appreciated.

Doris

I've just had an eureka!! moment :D I did the same as Peter put a relatives name (great Uncle) in on the off chance. I've been unable to find out if he served, to find his papers which record that he had been discharged April 1915 after three weeks service with the Northumberland Fusiliers because he gave his age as 19 when his actual age was 15. I'm well chuffed.

Regards Doug.

Does this mean these pension records can no longer be accessed at Kew.

Terry

No - the microfilms are still at Kew. I was looking at them only yesterday.

I'm not sure that this is all of WO 364 either. Certainly the A-B surnames did not include the second series in WO 364 (aka the Third Collation).

Regards

Mike Shingleton

Some of the records I've seen today have 3rd Collation headers in them, so it seems that they have been added also.

Steve.

Has anybody found his/her chap clicked on view original image ang got nothing? No matter what I try I cannot get my man 18688 Joseph Walton, he is on there, not coming up !! very frustrating. Ralph.

Ralph

Try downloading the enhanced view on Ancestry if you haven't already got it installed.

There are also reports of known issues for people using Firefox with Ancestry.

Again download Firefox's enhanced viewer (sorry - don't know much about that particular extra tool)

or use another browser.

Has anybody found his/her chap clicked on view original image ang got nothing? No matter what I try I cannot get my man 18688 Joseph Walton, he is on there, not coming up !! very frustrating. Ralph.

Ralph

Seems to work OK for me on your chaps record what are you clicking on to view original image?

Peter

He's there. GSW chest at La Boiselle 1-7-1916, Discharge 10-5-1917, lived in Rochdale. Can only see Medical docs.

Steve.

Excellent. Guess what I'm doing today.

Andrew, I have today been to the L.D.S. library to try to GET records for a SHERWOOD FORESTER only to be told that the branch at birmingham are closed for a month and cant take any request for copies until the second week in september, now today I find that "ANCESTRY" have released all the SURNAMES so I wonder if you could do me a LOOK UP for JOHN TOMLINSON, bORN 28-12-1894, radford nottingham, FORESTERS NUMBER 4432, LABOUR CORP NUMBER 264594, CORPORAL, WOUNDED 16-4-1916. Many Thanks Chris.

Ralph

Seems to work OK for me on your chaps record what are you clicking on to view original image?

Peter

B**gar Clicking on the image which says "view original" its worked on one other of mine, but not this. Ralph

Pighills, Will try what you say. Steve, Thats all new to me, I knew he died at home from wounds and is buried in our local church graveyard, he died on armistice day oddly 11-11-1918. Ralph.

Excellent. Guess what I'm doing today.

Andrew, R Hesketh, I have today been to the L.D.S. library to try to GET records for a SHERWOOD FORESTER only to be told that the branch at birmingham are closed for a month and cant take any request for copies until the second week in september, now today I find that "ANCESTRY" have released all the SURNAMES so I wonder if you could do me a LOOK UP for JOHN TOMLINSON, bORN 28-12-1894, radford nottingham, FORESTERS NUMBER 4432, LABOUR CORP NUMBER 264594, CORPORAL, WOUNDED 16-4-1916. Many Thanks Chris.

It only started displaying that message "error posting image request" or something like that last evening. And I thought - I wonder if they are uploading the Cs to Zds. Then, today, received Dave's welcome news.

Still doing it again today in hit and miss records. Maybe if too many people are searching the same pages all at once it just cannot cope.

I put another post up about unlisted names..

Whilst searching for my Grandad (John William Church) - nothing listed and i then looked at John Henry church record and duly pressed the green forward arrow x amounts of times to take me to the end of his record.

Lo and behold a record came up for a John William church. Unfortunately it was not mine but made good reading non the less.

Just a hint. Because its not listed - keep hunting - Good luck everyone - hope you get lucky.

Susan.

Pighills, Still no joy. Ralph.

Steve, Any way you can PM me whatever is available? Is this possible? I have one other who may be mine but cant get him either 14398 JOHN WILSON if he is not of the 8th Devonshires hes not mine. Ralph

B**gar Clicking on the image which says "view original" its worked on one other of mine, but not this. Ralph

Ralph

If you still can't get it PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it you its only 4 pages.

Peter

14398 John Wilson is 10th Scottish Rifles from Govan.

Steve.

14398 John Wilson is 10th Scottish Rifles from Govan.

Steve.

Many thanks for looking Steve, its eliminated him from my search, if you pardon the expresssion. Ralph

Peter, On its way, many thanks Ralph

Ralph,

e-mail winging its way to you.

Ancestry running like a dog now searches taking minutes. Are all pals online at once I wonder?

Peter

Proverbial needle in a haystack.

Trying hard to find my grandfathers record but, he's called John Robinson, and as fast as I can say Jack Robinson I'm getting nowhere.

I'm happy to accept any help I can get and despite putting all details that I have birth year, birthplace, county, service number etc i'm snookered.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be eternally grateful.

Name :- John Robinson. (did have middle name of Chew but MIC does not record this)

Birth Place:- Darlaston, Staffordshire ( Registration District, Walsall)

Birth Year 1892 ( 23/6/1892)

Service No:- 24905 ( 14th Durham Light Infantry) and 94504 ( Royal Northumberland Fusiliers)

Can't seem to narrow it down at all. Despite being born in the midlands his formative years were North eastern, Hartlepool and East Durham.

Anyone help please?

Jack

Thanks to Andy H, i now have my great grandfathers papers, Andy THANK YOU!!!