Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry Pension Records

DaveMurphy

No - the microfilms are still at Kew. I was looking at them only yesterday.

Mike - Thanks for this news. It's three weeks before we head south, so I might not be able to resist a peek at Ancestry.

Cheers Terry

14398 John Wilson is 10th Scottish Rifles from Govan.

Steve.

Steve, Can I presume on you again? another I cannot "see" its Joseph Waltons brother William Walton 11353 can you get his regiment etc for me please. Ralph

Malcolm, There are papers on two Herbert Harveys on this pension site, neither give a second name, one has a father by the name of EDWARD 36 Banks St Norwich the other by the name of George.The first Harvey was in the 4th Batt Norfolk Regt and was an apprentice boot lad,the second one in the 7th Royal Fusiliers and born in Great Witchingham Norfolk. Ralph.

Could any kind person able to access Ancestry have a look at the following, which I hope could be my great grandfather:

Gilbert Hayward

I'm looking for Gilbert G Hayward, Royal Fusiliers and MGC.

Many thanks,

Mark

Mark,

Looks like that one born approx 1880 - address is in Maidenhead.

Susan

Could any kind person able to access Ancestry have a look at the following, which I hope could be my great grandfather:

Gilbert Hayward

I'm looking for Gilbert G Hayward, Royal Fusiliers and MGC.

Many thanks,

Mark

Mark, Only one GILBERT HAYWARD on the site born 1880 number 16028 Royal Berkshire Regt. Ralph.

have you got a place of birth or reg number. Or even where born - I have found people by putting in very strange connotations....!

ps- sorry if you have already stated the above. Have not been back over previous posts.

susan..

Hello Everyone,

I would greatly appreciate a look-up in Ancestry Pension Records for my GFather.

George Smyth

Royal Irish Rifles

Nbr: 9001

d.o.b: approx 1880

Many thanks,

Joan

Joan. Sorry no George Smythes Royal Irish Rifles number 9001 on the site as I can see. Ralph.

Roop..

Superb news for your boys.

So glad someone is getting their moneys worth :) !! I am having one of those "bad search days"......(normal people get bad hair days!)

Just a word of caution folks.

Read the fine print.

"This database contains service records of non-commissioned officers and other ranks who were discharged from the Army and claimed disability pensions for service in WWI."

The database is, apparently, NOT all the service records that survive in the "burnt series" at TNA, just those who applied for disability pension. I searched on my surnames. As an example, I have the filmed records from the 13 surviving WATCHAM records in the "burnt series", and the Ancestry database has only one of these 13, Albert Watcham.

So, do not regard the Ancestry database as a substitute for going to Kew. Useful, perhaps very useful, but only one slice of the cake.

Noel

Saving images.

Don't forget that when you do find a page or pages of interest, save them to a folder on your hard drive.

To do this, when you look at the Ancestry screen, in the top RH of the screen on the blue bar you will see the words "Show in full screen" and underneath that a "save" icon. Click on this icon and then select "save to your computer" on the little box that pops up and click OK. You can then save the image as a jpeg file.

Noel

I did come across a record for FW Church - where the widow was claiming the pension for a "live" child, born May 1917 after the chap died.(K I A April 1917)

Also came across another one (forgotten the name) for a soldier that had the word DEAD scribbled right across the page (this one died in 1925)

But as Noel says, only a bit of the cake.

Susan.

Had a few :D found one of my relatives was court marshalled in the 4th EYR for disobeying orders!given 18 months hard labour then allowed back into Tank Corps/MGC before been discharged sickness :(

cleared up an unknown on the Cleckheaton War Memorial

E Gould 6th KOYLI Discharged 1916 Full address etc people had spent years trying to find the correct guy!! :D

Well worth the subscription

Ady

Not sure if it is me that is dull and have only just found this out, but I visited the Ancestry Website and it seems as though the remainder of pension records are now online.

It is a superb resource for those who have not been lucky to have a relative in the A's and B's.

Here is the direct link:

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/list....=1114&path=

Let the research begin!!

Cheers,

Dave

Royal Defence Corps. One of the interesting things that I've discovered on one man, something that I could not read on the digipic that I obtained from TNA, was that after he was wounded, repatriated to England, hospitalized and then recovered, was that he was then assigned to the 103rd Protection Company of the Royal Defence Corps for the remainder of the war. However, this transfer to the RDC is not shown on his medal card.

So it's well worth slogging through all the sheets for a man, and then reading them in detail, to pick up little things like this.

Noel

Steve, Can I presume on you again? another I cannot "see" its Joseph Waltons brother William Walton 11353 can you get his regiment etc for me please. Ralph

Steve, You may have missed this post, if so can you help, please. Ralph

Just beat me to it ...

I’m still not clear on what we have here. Are these all of the records that involved pension claims? Or were there more that didn’t survive?

Can’t find my grandfather – he had continuous service from the Boer War to the end of WWI, when he was invalided out with a SWB. If these are all the records, I suppose he just may not have claimed a pension, even though he would surely have been entitled to one.

Hi Grace,

My reading of the notes about the data base is that it is everyone who claimed a pension.

Having said that, Ancestry in my experience does require some creative thinking when it comes to using their index. There was a post somewhere (this thread?) about two servicemen being linked from the one name. It would appear that the person who did the scanning or indexing didn't realise they had moved on to an unrelated set of documents.

Doug

Ralph,

I've got him. PM your email to me.

Doug

Doug, Got it, thanks. He must have received the smallest pension ever !! only served 5 days discharged due to lack of chest expansion ! Thanks again. Ralph.