Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry Pension Records

DaveMurphy

Please could someone have a look for these men. They worked pre-war for the Associated Newspapers in Manchester. They all survived the war. And that is all I know!

Grateful as always for any assistance.

With best wishes,

David

G H CLOUGH

Medal card of Clough, George H

Corps: 9th Manchester Regiment

Regiment No: 1790

J R CONNER

Medal card of Conner, Joseph

Corps: Manchester Regiment 8th Battalion

Regiment No: 4199

G CORBETT

Medal card of Corbett, George Ernest

Corps: 2nd Manchester Regiment

Regiment No: 2060

R COPELAND

Medal card of Copeland, ReuBenjamin

Corps: Manchester Regiment

Regiment No: 3323

Another way to do it is to refine your search and type in the regiment name only. That brings up all men listed from that regiment in alphabetical order. Much quicker than trawling through hundreds of names.

That might work, but not if you are searching for men of the Liverpool Regt.

Searching only on 'Liverpool' gives me, 6,789 records to look at. I had hoped to narrow it down a little further.

Ken

David

G H CLOUGH

Medal card of Clough, George H

Corps: 9th Manchester Regiment

Regiment No: 1790

Not in pension records.

George Harry Clough is on the service records and according to the index has 7 pages

J R CONNER

Medal card of Conner, Joseph

Corps: Manchester Regiment 8th Battalion

Regiment No: 4199

Could not find in service or pension records

G CORBETT

Medal card of Corbett, George Ernest

Corps: 2nd Manchester Regiment

Regiment No: 2060

R COPELAND

Medal card of Copeland, ReuBenjamin

Corps: Manchester Regiment

Regiment No: 3323

PM your email to me and I will sens the images for Clough.

Doug

Would someone be so kind to look up my Grandpa's uncle - John Gilmour. Sgt. Gordon Highlanders from Strathaven, Lanarkshire. I have tried to look at my local library, but for some reason the service records only go up to surnams beginning with C.

Hi Doug

Thanks for the reply, made a boob should be Ernest Charles Cooper

not Charles Ernest Cooper, born 27 July 1877, 2nd Lieut RFA 17 August 1916

Apologies Doug. :blush:

Hi Doug,

Missed this. Sorry!

He won't be there. The database 'covers approximately 5 million men served in the British Army in World War One (WWI). This database contains the surviving service records of non-commissioned officers and other ranks who served in WWI and did not re-enlist in the Army prior to World War II.'

Had a look for him on the off-chance without success.

Doug

Would someone be so kind to look up my Grandpa's uncle - John Gilmour. Sgt. Gordon Highlanders from Strathaven, Lanarkshire. I have tried to look at my local library, but for some reason the service records only go up to surnams beginning with C.

Hi,

Only surnames A - C for the service records have been loaded. The remainder are to be loaded in 2009.

Doug

Hi Doug

Doug, Thanks again for you time

Regards Doug.

• 5 years later...

Has anyone access to Ancestry. A few years ago I asked for a search onxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx WW1 pension records, I am wondering now if any of the records have been added to or updated. Robert was wounded and discharged in 1915. Anyone help please.

Christina

You can probably get a trial subscription and cancel, or you may be able to get access through your reference library, but we have a problem with requesting look ups on paid for services I'm afraid. This may not have been the case a number of years ago, but anyone complying with such a request is breaching their contract with Ancestry, and we could be in trouble for acting as an intermediary. I ahve removed details from your post

Sorry

Keith Roberts

Keith

• Admin

In the UK site you can search the name only on Ancestry without subscription.

On the Home page from the tab search enter military after inputting the information you have you can then filter the search to 'pension records' not always satisfactory with common names (e.g. there are three with my g-father's none refer to him) but it may help to make up your mind whether to take out a 14 day trial subscription - invitation top right of the results page.

Ken

• Admin

Christina

All state libraries in Australia have access to Ancestry. I don't know if anything more local does but it is worth asking. If that is a bit far away, most seem to offer online access for residents to the Times Digital Archive which is probably more suitable for researching the Berks Regiment (gleaned from another post).Or you could contact the Berkshires Museum at http://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/museum/museum-history

Glen