Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry Pension Records

DaveMurphy

Oh dear! No luck with ANY of the 23 men I am researching on the local War Memorial. A bit disappointed I suppose, especially with some of the 'mystery men' I don't know much about, but at least I know I can write up my research now and feel I've found out as much as I reasonably can.

WOW! ive been glued to that site for the last 24hours and i'm very pleased with my results. I've found 4 of my relatives, and i'm still searching.

While I understand that soldiers who died are unlikely to be listed, I am confused why I can't find one of my chaps, as I know his widow recieved a pension (i know from his service record in wo363).

Perhaps i'm blind! Does anyone have any ideas on different spellings for Noah Davis?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Have you tried searching by just his regiment number or perhaps surname and YOB etc.

Doug

Having said that, Ancestry in my experience does require some creative thinking when it comes to using their index. There was a post somewhere (this thread?) about two servicemen being linked from the one name. It would appear that the person who did the scanning or indexing didn't realise they had moved on to an unrelated set of documents.

Yes, I think that's my last hope. It will be a long trawl, as there are a fair few to look through, although thankfully not as many as some!

I've already tried all the commonest misspellings, and regimental number on its own - though that itself might have been misread by the indexer, I suppose. Some dodgy handwriting out there.

OK,

This may explain why so many are being unsuccessful when searching:

Ancestry web site - Source Information:

Ancestry.com. British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007. Original data:

War Office: Soldiers’ Documents from Pension Claims, First World War (Microfilm Copies); (The National Archives Microfilm Publication WO364); Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies; The National Archives of the UK (TNA), Kew, Surrey, England.

The National Archives website: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...ID=18&j=1#5

WO 364 : Soldiers Discharged to Pension

These service records relate to:

- discharges of regular soldiers at the end of their period of service. Men who signed up for the duration of the war did not get pensions: instead they got a gratuity on demobilisation, and will not be found here unless they received a pension on medical grounds.

- discharges on medical and associated grounds, including those who died after the award of a pension.

Doug

... and the collection is not even that of all men who did get a pension. It is only a sample. I recall reading some time ago that these papers had been withdrawn from the main archive for some kind of analysis and were in use at the Ministry of Pensions when the warehouse was burned. Luck, pure luck, that they survived.

So a percentage of soldiers pension records for service during the First World War were destroyed?

Might explain why i can't find one of the men i'm looking for: Private William French, S/5601, 10th Gordon Highlanders - lost a leg at the Battle of Loos, POW until 1916, discharged with a pension (on his marriage cert from 1919). He was born in Motherwell, Lanarkshire c.1894.

I have tried various combinations and spellings - nothing so far. Am I missing something obvious here?

Barrie

I knew my grandfather's (Royal Artillery) service papers would be available because I had paid the MOD for info in 1986. Now they are online I paid for a 12 views Voucher (£6.95). WOW.... I had all the dates of his movements from MOD info. BUT now i have seen them online. There is a lot more info they could have told me but did not. He spent a long period in hospital because of illness, in 1917. And in 1918 received Field Punishment No.2. For not wearing a gas-mask and not carrying any means of identity!

Terry

... and the collection is not even that of all men who did get a pension. It is only a sample. I recall reading some time ago that these papers had been withdrawn from the main archive for some kind of analysis and were in use at the Ministry of Pensions when the warehouse was burned.

Thank you, Chris. Pity they didn't attach a simple, clear explanation of what is there.

Oh, well, I have at least found my great-uncle. I'll keep looking for Grandfather in case of a misfile etc.

Pity they didn't attach a simple, clear explanation of what is there.

I've been making this point ever since they released the As and Bs. The titling and descriptions are misleading and factually incorrect. The little devil in my head connects this with the fact that access is only through a fee-paying site, but perhaps that is going a step too far.

I don't think it makes a difference really. If there is a chance that what we want is there, we'll still want to look, won't we?

JOHN TOMLINSON, bORN 28-12-1894, radford nottingham, FORESTERS NUMBER 4432, LABOUR CORP NUMBER 264594, CORPORAL, WOUNDED 16-4-1916.

Sorry Chris, he's not there. I've searched under both numbers and he didn't show up on either.

One John Tomlinson turns up with a keyword of Nottingham: 90320 Nothumberland Fusiliers (formerly 7th Sherwoods).

Under a keyword search of Radford he doesn't appear either. (By the way, a keyword search of 'Radford + Nottingham' produces 171 hits).

Sorry,

Andy

... and the collection is not even that of all men who did get a pension. It is only a sample. I recall reading some time ago that these papers had been withdrawn from the main archive for some kind of analysis and were in use at the Ministry of Pensions when the warehouse was burned. Luck, pure luck, that they survived.

Chris, I don't think that you are quite correct there. They are facsimile copies of the originals that now form the "burnt series" (or the other way round), because, for some men (just as one example, Albert Watcham of the Essex Regiment), the same papers can be found in the two files, and the two sets are absolutely identical.

This raises the question in my mind as to when the copies were actually made. And, are there any papers in the Ancestry "pension file" that are not in the "burnt series"? I don't think that there can be, because I doubt that the facsimile (i.e. photocopy or equivalent) copy technology was in existence when the original papers were damaged in WW2.

So I think that what is on-line must also be in the "burnt series."

But I''m happy to be corrected...!

Noel

Well. I can't find my Grandfather.

If any of the wizards can work a miracle, he is:

James Sanderson, born Kent 1880.

S/17042 ASC

SQMS, later WO1

I guess he's not there. Oh, it would mean so much to me if someone else can find him. I shall be off to the NA when I can otherwise.

Got my Great Uncle though, and have sent the records to my cousins. They are going to be so ASTOUNDED!

Hi Grace,

I have had a play and like you cannot pick him up.

This hobby is frustrating some times.

Doug

Any ideas why when I search for 13748 Hannaford I get a result but no pages when you click on the link ? Other work but not this one ? Cheers

Coldstreamer -

Not that its any consolation, but I found the same when I tried to look it up for you. Must be a fault with that particular record.

Bob.

I don't know what the problem was, but I found pages. Can I help you at all?

Any ideas why when I search for 13748 Hannaford I get a result but no pages when you click on the link ? Other work but not this one ? Cheers

Herbert John? I can see him. PM you email and I will send the images.

Doug

Cheers Doug

I got the same at the library yesterday..result For Jackson Hudson (parish of Esh)...but no pages when I clicked on the link, I would really appreciate it if anyone can see if the pages load at their end.

Thanks

John.

Loaded no problem

If you want to send your email via PM I can send the images.

Doug