Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry Pension Records

DaveMurphy

This what I see when I follow the link in the first post of this thread - and when I follow links from Google, and when I follow the link from my History files:

post-9547-1187088269.jpg

Originally, when I first signed up for this, I could search like a normal person (like you would on the CWGC databse etc) - now I get this crap! Arrrggggh! :angry:

Barrie

Doug,

I followed the link you posted and ended up on the same screen as above screenshot. I'm guessing that isn't what everyone else is seeing - as it certainly isn't what I used to get. I tried logging out and back in - no change. Very odd indeed.

Thanks for the help anyway,

Barrie

That gave me an error message i'm afraid. I can't think whats changed - i used to be able to access it ok here at work - i'll check at home to see if I get the same thing.

Thanks

Barrie

For some reason it is going straight to the "Browse" search which is located below the normal search.

Try logging out and clearing the cache in the web browser - a long shot and my last idea.

Doug

Thanks for the help Doug - I'm afraid I don't know enough about computers to try anything too fancy, especially as its a work computer :)

I appreciate the effort

Barrie

Nothing too difficult Barrie.

From the help page of Ancestry:

Question

How do I clear my Temporary Internet Files and increase its allotted size?

Answer

As ours is a dynamic site that frequently is updated to improve the experience of our users, it is important to clear your Temporary Internet Files (cache and cookies) regularly and allocate enough space for storing these files. If your cache is not cleared, you may not have the most up-to-date information from our site, such as if a temporary server error may have caused a page to load incorrectly. If you have insufficient space for your cache, issues such as freezing or extreme slowness may result. If your cookies are not removed regularly, old login information may be found on your computer, causing you to automatically log in with an account you no longer use.

Note: Deleting your cookie files will require that you manually log in again to regain

access to your account.

Instructions for clearing and increasing your cache and deleting your cookie files follow. For convenience, click any of the following links to jump to the instructions indicated:

Netscape Browsers

Netscape 7.2 - Netscape 8.0 Firefox Browsers

Firefox 1.0.6 - Firefox 2.0 Macintosh Users

America Online 9.0 Security Edition Windows Users

Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME - Windows XP - Internet Explorer 6.0

Windows XP - Internet Explorer 7.0

Netscape Browsers

Netscape 7.2

Clearing Cache / Increasing Cache Size

1. Click on the Edit menu item at the top of the browser window

2. Choose Preferences from the Edit menu

3. Under the Advanced category on the left, click Cache*

4. Under Set Cache Options, click on Clear Cache

5. To ensure that you have enough cache space, make sure at least 300 or more megabytes (MB) is entered in the field next to Cache

6. Click OK in the bottom right corner of the Preferences window

Deleting Cookies

1. Click on the Tools menu item at the top of the browser window

2. Choose Cookie Manager from the Tools menu

3. Choose Manage Stored Cookies from the submenu

4. Select Remove All Cookies

5. Click OK to close the window

*if no subcategories are visible, double-click Advanced to expand the list.

Netscape 8.0

2. Choose Options from the Tools menu

3. Click on the Privacy button (icon) on the left

4. Near the bottom, click on the Cache label in the list

5. To ensure that you have enough cache space, make sure at least 300 or more megabytes (MB) is entered in the Use up to field

6. Click the Clear button (in the upper right corner of the Cache highlighted box)

7. Click OK to close the window

Deleting Cookies

3. Click on the Privacy button (icon) on the left

4. Near the bottom, locate the Cookies label in the list

5. Click the Clear button (to the right of the Cookies label)

6. Click OK to close the window

Firefox Browsers

Firefox 1.0.6

3. Click on the Privacy button on the left of the next window, as shown here

4. Click on the button to the left of the Cache item

5. On the right side of the highlighted box, click the button

6. In the Use up to field, be sure to assign at least 300000 KB of disk space as the available cache size

7. Click the OK at the bottom to close the Options window

Deleting Cookies

3. Click on the Privacy button on the left of the next window, as shown here

4. Across from Cookies (in the right window pane), click on the button

Firefox 2.0

3. Click on the Advanced button on the top of the next window, as shown above

4. To the right of the Cache section, click the button

5. Make sure the value in the field for Use up to is at least 300 MB of space for the cache

6. Click the OK at the bottom to close the Options window

Deleting Cookies

1. Follow steps 1-3 for Clearing Cache / Increasing Cache Size (above)

3. Click on the Privacy button on the top of the next window, as shown above

4. In the Cookies section, click the button

5. Scroll down to each folder for the Ancestry website found in the list (they will have ancestry in their names)

6. For each listing, click on the folder and then click the button

7. Click the Close button

8. Click the OK at the bottom to close the Options window

Macintosh Users

Note: Macintosh users will need to delete their cookies via their browser.

AOL 9.0 Security Edition

1. Open the AOL browser

2. Click on the AOL menu item at the top of the browser window

3. Choose Preferences from the AOL menu

4. Select the WWW option from the side panel

5. Click on the Display tab

6. Click the Empty Cache Now button

7. Close the window

Deleting Cookies

1. Open the AOL browser

2. Click on the AOL menu item at the top of the browser window

3. Choose Preferences from the AOL menu

4. Select the WWW option from the side panel

5. Click on the Cookies tab

6. Click on the Remove All Cookies button

7. Close the window

Window Users

Note: Windows users will need to delete their cookies via their system options.

You will first need to determine what version of Windows you have. You can generally tell if you have Windows XP by the logo displayed when your computer is loading Windows.

The information provided should indicate the Operating System (e.g., Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition, etc.). Please now follow the steps described below for your specific Operating System.

Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000

1. Click on the Start button in the lower left corner of your Windows desktop

2. Select the Settings folder from the Start menu

3. Choose Control Panel from the Settings folder

4. In the Control Panel window, double-click on the Internet Options icon

5. Under the General tab of the Internet Options window, click on Delete Files

6. Make sure the box for Delete all offline content is marked, and click OK

7. Click the Settings button and change the number in the Amount of disk space to use field to at least 300 (MB)

8. Click the OK button to close the Settings window

9. Click the OK button again to close the Internet Options window

Deleting Cookies

5. Under the General tab of the Internet Options window, click on Delete Cookies

6. Click the OK button to confirm the deletion

7. Click OK again to close the Internet Options window

Windows XP - Internet Explorer 6

Clearing Cache / Increasing Cache Size and Deleting Cookies

2. Select Control Panel from the Start menu

In the Control Panel window, do one of the following:

* Double-click on the Internet Options icon

* Click on the Network and Internet Connections icon, then click on the Internet Options icon

3. Follow the steps above for WINDOWS 95, 98, 2000, ME (above), beginning with Step 5 (either for Clearing Cache or for Deleting Cookies)

Windows XP - Internet Explorer 7

5. Under the General tab of the Internet Options window, click on Delete... and the Delete Browsing History window will appear

6. Click on Delete files... and a window will appear asking to confirm the deletion, click Yes

7. Click Close on the Delete Browsing History window

8. Under the General tab click Settings and the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings window will appear

9. Change the number in the Disk space to use field to at least 300 (MB)

10. Click to close the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings window

11. Click OK again to close the Internet Options window

Deleting Cookies

5. Under the General tab of the Internet Options window, click on Delete... and the Delete Browsing History window will appear

6. Click on Delete cookies... and a window will appear asking to confirm the deletion,

click Yes

7. Click Close on the Delete Browsing History window

8. Click OK to close the Internet Options window

Try searching for Brown or Smith in the overall search, pick the Army Records link from the results and see if you can get in that way.

Steve.

Doug, thanks very much for that info - It seemed to work ok, but had no effect on the how the webpage was displaying unfortunately. I think i'll try logging onto another PC to see if it's just the settings on this one.

Steve - that seems to work, but I still can't search by service number, and not knowing any details regarding his date and place of birth - there are still too many to choose from. Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know you could search like that.

Appreciate all the help folks, much obliged to you for taking the time to help.

Barrie

Hi Doug,

I was looking for 41067 Private James Vickers of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) who was discharged sometime in 1919. I have no strong reason to suspect that he was entitled to a pension, so this may be a wild goose chase, but was getting rather miffed at the fact I couldn't even access the search page :)

Thank you for your friendly and useful suggestions,

Barrie

I have had some success (and not much sleep!) in the last 24 hours now that I'm able to search the records.

Can anyone advise on the process for getting access to better quality images?

I looked at the record of Robert Grayson of the 9th King's Liverpool Regt and every page is blurred and illegible.

Will that be the case if I looked at the same record at Kew?

So close and yet so far!

I thought it may just be a matter of altering Options for higher resolution image for you, but alas images blurred completely on my screen as well.

have reported the problem (as you probably have). Maybe the scanner was playing up ....

What a nuisance for you.

Susan.

Not sure if it is me that is dull and have only just found this out, but I visited the Ancestry Website and it seems as though the remainder of pension records are now online.

It is a superb resource for those who have not been lucky to have a relative in the A's and B's.

Here is the direct link:

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/list....=1114&path=

Let the research begin!!

Cheers,

Dave

Can anyone help with the above website. I've been to Kew (PRO) and my great grandfathers records were there on microfiche. I've got photocopies of the information. However searching the ancestry site i cannot find them.

Regards

Dave

David, Welcome to the forum.

The records on Ancestry are very, very hit and miss. Lots of records are not on there for a variety of reasons (not many of which I know!). As you have read through the thread you have probably seen what I mean.

I have only just found a record for a person not even listed where they were supposed to be. And that was by using the forward button after the last forenames possible prior to the forenames and surname of the man I was looking for........

If you post your ancestors name, regiment, number and dob here someone may be able to give you more information.

You are lucky to have already found the microfilm copies of the records at Kew (well done).

Not tried that myself yet. Have that pleasure (?) to look forward to I suppose.

Anyway, Welcome again. Let us know if you need anything else from Ancestry - I am sure the members here will be only too happy to help you.

Susan.

I looked at the record of Robert Grayson of the 9th King's Liverpool Regt and every page is blurred and illegible.

Ken,

It's not just your chaps record the images are the same for ablut 100 odd pages either side of his records

Peter

Don't suppose anyone with access could check the following:

24068 PTE Albert George Dawe - Lancashire Fusiliers

103684 GNR Ernest William DAWE - Royal Artillery

Rgds

Tim

Tim

Just had a look

No luck I'm afraid to say.

Glyn

As I'm sure has been said earlier in the thread, don't rely on the service number search. Unless you are lucky, the only sure way seems to be actually going through and checking the matches on names by looking at either the pop-up synopsis or else the actual records.....service numbers quoted on Ancestry sometimes seem to bear no resemblance to those used on MICs/service records.

Alan

David, Welcome to the forum.

The records on Ancestry are very, very hit and miss. Lots of records are not on there for a variety of reasons (not many of which I know!). As you have read through the thread you have probably seen what I mean.

I have only just found a record for a person not even listed where they were supposed to be. And that was by using the forward button after the last forenames possible prior to the forenames and surname of the man I was looking for........

If you post your ancestors name, regiment, number and dob here someone may be able to give you more information.

You are lucky to have already found the microfilm copies of the records at Kew (well done).

Not tried that myself yet. Have that pleasure (?) to look forward to I suppose.

Anyway, Welcome again. Let us know if you need anything else from Ancestry - I am sure the members here will be only too happy to help you.

Susan.

Dear Susan

Thanks for the reply. The man in question is my great grandfather. Pte Richard Crouch, 34062, 10th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment. Archives have him listed as 79 Talbolt Street in Sheffield. He died of wounds 8/5/1917 after action on Greenland Hill at Arras. I've spent many years searching for a picture of my great grandad. but thus far have been unsuccessful.

Best regards

Dave

Hi

I was hoping that someone could help me find some information on my great grandfather and be kind enough to have a look in the Ancestry information for me. I am in Australia and the cost scares me a little if I are unable to be able to find out anything anyway. I havent had a lot of luck with it in the past.

Anyway, the little information that I have is that he was named Alfred James Parsons and was from around Devon (Bratton Clovelly I think). He survived the war but I think died in the 1920's sometime. I think he may have been injured or gasses during the war but I cannot confirm this. Very vauge I am sorry. I guess this is why I am struggling. The only other information that I have really is that his parents were John and Mary. He also fathered a child in 1917 (again, I think) so I'm not sure what that means (ie. had he returned by then, not left, on leave??)

I know this is all pretty vauge but if anyone could find any information I know it will be the talent that visit this site.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to have a look about for me.

Tim

Hi Tim,

There is no obvious candidate for your Alfred James Parsons on the pension records. Do you have a year of birth?

Doug.

Hi Tim,

There is no obvious candidate for your Alfred James Parsons on the pension records. Do you have a year of birth?

Doug.

Mmmmmm.....

No. I am sort of hoping that somewhere along the way one of these info resources will uncover some small piece of information I didnt have and make everything come a lot easier.

I guess my only experience is searching the Australian records (for another great grandfather) where I started out with only a name and a birthplace and from there I was able to search the Nominal Roll and Embarkation Roll to get his service number etc. and got the ball rolling that way. It makes it easier obviously when you can access the information for free and can read though entries until you find your man (plus the fact there was a lot less Aussies than English serving and the Australian records werent bombed and burnt later on).

Sadly for Alfred Parsons though I havent been able to find that missing piece yet. Am I clutching at straws?

Tim

Hi Tim,

He obviously had kids (or you wouldn't be here), Do you know the name of his wife?

This site http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ is free to search however depending on when he married he may not appear yet. The marriage certificate will give the name of his father which in turn may allow us to pick him up in the census.

Doug