Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry Pension Records

DaveMurphy

Hi Tim,

He obviously had kids (or you wouldn't be here), Do you know the name of his wife?

This site http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ is free to search however depending on when he married he may not appear yet. The marriage certificate will give the name of his father which in turn may allow us to pick him up in the census.

Doug

Thanks for your interest Doug

Married Eva Reynolds and had 4 children (Walter John, Ernest Alfred, John and Marjorie), the youngest being my Grandmother. She was very young (maybe 4?) when he died.

Hi Tim,

Free BMD has this:

Marriages Jun 1918 (97%)

Neno Eva Parsons Okehampton 5b 768a

Parsons Alfred Neno Okehampton 5b 768a

Okehampton is in Devon.

Ring any bells? Does it fit with the birth of his kids? Eva may have been a widow?

Doug

Looks as though she was a widow:

Marriages Jun 1899

Neno John Okehampton 5b 807

Reynolds Eva Okehampton 5b 807

If you go here:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

and purchase the marriage certificate from the previous marriage details I gave you that should get you back further.

Assuming we have the correct couple of course.

Doug

Hi Tim,

Free BMD has this:

Marriages Jun 1918 (97%)

Neno Eva Parsons Okehampton 5b 768a

Parsons Alfred Neno Okehampton 5b 768a

Okehampton is in Devon.

Ring any bells? Does it fit with the birth of his kids? Eva may have been a widow?

Doug

Yes, interesting.

From my understanding, Eva Reynolds was married to John Neno (and had at least 5 children from 1899-1912), John died at some point whereby she married Alfred Parsons (in 1918 if I understand what you have written above correctly) and had another 4 children from 1917 (oops?) to 1923.

You have managed to find out a small piece of new information thanks to your great help Doug. Married in June 1918. Does this shead any more light on my man Parsons or is this where the trail ends?

Tim

From the point of view of the WWI records I think we are at a stop for now.

If you get the marriage certificate that will give you the name of his father, his age and his occupation. His age may assist in picking him up on the pension records (if of course he is there). It will certainly assist in searching the census records.

The pension records do not record an Alfred James Parsons however there are 12 Alfred Parsons of which 2 have a birth parish of Devon with another 7 not recording a birth parish and of those 3 have no year of birth.

Doug

Thanks for your help Doug.

I think I am going to have to part with some coin to get much further it seems (or not as the case may be).

I really would love to know who he fought with if nothing else.

Appreciate your assistance in pointing me to some other possible leads.

I crossed my fingers and had a look on Ancestry.co.uk using their Pay-per-view option and became instantly frustrated with the lack of description for what you are about to use your credits on. I blew one on basically a blank page. Ahhrrrr.... Anyway, live and learn.

I have ordered the marrige certificate so hopefully that may shead a little more light..... fingers crossed.

Tim

Please forgive my ignorance but I have searched the NA in vain for the service records of two of my Great Grandfathers and read this thread with interest. Since both my Gt. Grandfathers would have certainly had dependants is there a chance that their pensions would have been claimed by their next of kin? I don't have access to Ancestry but would be eternally grateful if a kind Forum member would try for me. I am desperate to find any trace of records for them both.

They are as follows:

Pte. 9232 Hugh Kenworthy

11th Bttn Lancs Fusiliers

KIA 16.05.16 aged 39

Resided at Globe Lane Farm, Dukinfield, Cheshire

Pte. 9341 Austin Joseph Shepherd

1st Bttn Lancs Fusiliers

KIA 01.07.16 aged 37

Husband of Nellie Garratt (formerly Shepherd), of 107, Pitt St., Oldham, Lancashire

Not sure if this is all the info required to do a search?

Hoping somebody rises to the challenge!

Thanks

Glyn

Sorry, Glyn, can't see either of them.

But this series of records relates mainly to men who survived the war, as they are a selection of service records that were in use at the Ministry of Pensions in 1940. If you have already searched at the NA, you've probably already looked in them anyway.

Sorry, Glyn, can't see either of them.

But this series of records relates mainly to men who survived the war, as they are a selection of service records that were in use at the Ministry of Pensions in 1940. If you have already searched at the NA, you've probably already looked in them anyway.

Oh well....what I suspected I guess, but I live in hope, thanks for looking anyway I appreciate it

Regards

Glyn

Tim

Just had a look

No luck I'm afraid to say.

Glyn

Thanks a lot Glyn.

TD

Tim,

Here's a bit more for your jigsaw puzzle:

From CWGC (I was actually looking for John Neno in case he was a WW1 casualty).

Name: NENO, LEONARD

Initials: L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Devonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 06/06/1944

Service No: 5616950

Additional information: Son of John Neno, and of Eva Neno, of Bratton, Clovelly, Devon.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XI. E. 25.

Cemetery: BAYEUX WAR CEMETERY

In case you had not found this one.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ian. I was aware of Leonard Neno and had found this information in the past. On that, is there service record information an the like for WW2 soliders that is accessable somewhere? I would like to learn more about this man.

Back onto my Alfred Parsons dillema, I just received his marrige certificate in the mail and on that he is listed as 245408 LC Alfred Parsons Labour Corps (the labour corps bit is a guess, the script is a little difficult to read but that is what I think it says). He was 43 when married on 2 Apr 1918 and his father was John Parsons.

Is this new information likely to uncover any new leads or is this about as good as I am going to get?

Thanks for everyones help

Tim

The 1881 census has this:

Civil Parish: St Budeaux

County/Island: Devon

Street address: Knackersknowle

Registration district: Plympton St Mary

Sub-registration district: Plympton

ED, institution, or vessel: 17

RG11; Piece: 2189; Folio: 5; Page: 3

John Parsons, Head, Mar, 49, Agricultural Labourer, Born Devon, Eggbuckland

Elizabeth Parsons, Wife, Mar, 46, Born Devon, Oakhampton

Hannah Parsons, Daughter, Unm, 20, Born Devon, St Budeaux

Alfred Parsons, Son, 7, Scholar, Devon, St Budeaux.

Does this match the details from the marriage certificate?

Doug

John Parsons, Head, Mar, 49, Agricultural Labourer, Born Devon, Eggbuckland

Elizabeth Parsons, Wife, Mar, 46, Born Devon, Oakhampton

Hannah Parsons, Daughter, Unm, 20, Born Devon, St Budeaux

Alfred Parsons, Son, 7, Scholar, Devon, St Budeaux.

Does this match the details from the marriage certificate?

The only real information that it is giving me is that their residence at time of marriage was Bratton Clovelly, Devon and his father is John Parsons whose profession was Road (something illegible). Alfreds profession is listed as Soldier. That is pretty much all I can glean from that. I think it was witnessed by what looks like Gertrude Parsons but I am not sure where she might fit in in the scheme of things.

Is Ancestry the only place that there is likely to be any information?

Is there a nominal roll record or something similar listing all the soldiers in the war?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I have tried searching the census on Ancestry but cannot nail him down.

There are other pay sites such as Findmypast.com etc.

Unlike the Australian records there is no British nominal roll for WWI due to WWII bombing.

See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militar.../army/step5.htm for further information.

As far as the 1901 UK census if he was a professional soldier he may have been in the Boer War when the census was taken or in another overseas posting in which case he would not be recorded in the census.

Others may be able to point you towards more resources that I am not aware of.

Doug

Thanks for all your help and suggestions Doug.

I think I will start a new topic to see if I can snare someone scanning over the subject titles who might feel like a bit of a challenge.

The boer war idea sounds interesting though.

Tim

Tim,

WW2 service records are held by the Ministry of Defense. Copies can be obtained, either by the serviceman himself or, if deceased, by the closest next of kin. In the latter case you need to provide a death certificate and proof of kinship. Then it costs some - around GB Pnds 30 I think. Try searching this site as the matter has come up from time to time, including the contact address info for the MOD.

The Boer War angle is certainly worth persuing, and I think a prewar serviceman's records may be held by Kew.

Ian

• 2 months later...

My Grandfather was Killed in Action on 29th May 1915. He left a Wife and 4 children..

1. Would she have got a pension?

2. How much would it have been?..

3. She however died in 1920 of Flu leaving 4 children .The eldest being my mother, then aged 12 years.

4. Would the pension then Stop?

His name was Richard Hine, born in Wandsworth ,Surrey. A member of the 2nd Essex Reg. 2nd Battalion,

a Lance Corporal No.16867 His Wife was residing in Fulham, Middlesex.

I would appreciate anything of interest from you knowledgable folk. Cheers.

Stan

• 1 month later...

Would someone with an ancestry account be kind enough to check for me the pension file for Charles Frederick Campbell (there is only one with that name) to see if he has a date of birth of 1 May 1891.

Many thanks, Mark

Would someone with an ancestry account be kind enough to check for me the pension file for Charles Frederick Campbell (there is only one with that name) to see if he has a date of birth of 1 May 1891.

Many thanks, Mark

I'm looking at Ancestry at the mo - I'll take a butchers...

Jim

Hiya Mark

Not sure if you have the answer to your question yet, but I was on Ancestry looking at pensions records so I thought I'd have a quick look for your man anyway.

I couldn't see a date of birth listed, but his age is listed as 19 years and 5 months, and the document dated 2nd October 1914, so the month would be about right but the age listed would make his year of birth 1895.

Let me know if you want any further info regarding this and I will have another look for you.

Dawn