Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

Hello Richard

I would be most grateful if you could please have a look to see if Lieut Roger Alwyn Henniker-Gotley is listed in the Cheltenham College Register. Many thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hello Richard,from your extensive list which I see includes Dover College is there anything regarding the four Dawes brothers : Herbert E. Dawes,born 1881, John Everitt Dawes born 1884,Leonard Dawes, born 1885,Richard Wilkinson Dawes born 1889. All born Lincolnshire.

Dick,

Bradford Grammar School

I found a list printed in the Bradfordian around the end of the war. I do have a photograph somewhere if you would find it helpful

Keith

Ron (ironduke) wrote: "I would be most grateful if you could please have a look to see if Lieut Roger Alwyn Henniker-Gotley is listed in the Cheltenham College Register"

Roger Alwyn Henniker-Gotley:

Son of the Rev. George Henniker-Gotley, West Ashby Vicarage, Horncastle

Born on 8 February 1898

Educated at Cheltenham College from May 1912 to July 1915

Served as Lieut., Lancaster Fusiliers from 1917-1919

In Palestine and France during 1918

B. N. C. Oxford, 1920

Hons. Sch. of Mod. Hist.

In 1927 he lived at Wivelsfield Vicarage, Hayward's Heath, Sussex

Asst. Master, Cranleigh School

Headmaster, Sebright School, Wolverley, Worcs.

Source:

Cheltenham College Register 1841-1927

Cheltenham College Register: 1841-1919 Additions and Corrections 1919-1951

Hello Richard

Thanks very much for your very helpful reply regarding Lieut Roger Alwyn Henniker-Gotley.

Regards

Ron

busterfield wrote: "Dover College is there anything regarding the four Dawes brothers : Herbert E. Dawes,born 1881, John Everitt Dawes born 1884,Leonard Dawes, born 1885,Richard Wilkinson Dawes born 1889."

Herbert Edwin T. Dawes

Born 11 Feb 1881

Educated at Dover College from 1893 to 1899 (Hockey XI, XV) and Cambridge University (Tennis, VI 1902-03; Hockey XI, 1903)

Played Hockey for South, 1903

MRCS, LRCP, 1906; MB, B.Ch, Cambridge, 1910

Died 1932

John Everitt Dawes

Born 31 May 1884

Educated at Dover College from 1894 to 1900 (Hockey XI)

Served in Great War with 6th N. Staffs Regt.

Address in 1924 was The Orchard, Long Sutton, Lincs

Brewer, Bedford

Died 10 Jun 1954

Leonard Dawes

Born 20 July 1885

Educated at Dover College from 1894 to 1903 (XI; Hockey XI)

Regular. Major, RAF

Squadron Commander, France

Mentioned in Despatches

Chevalier, Legion of Honor

Died 10 Jan 1962

Richard Wilkinson Dawes

Born 21 April 1890

Educated at Dover College from 1898 to 1908 (Prefect; XV; XI, Hockey XI, Captain)

During the Great War was a Captain, 6th N. Staffs Regt in France

Twice mentioned in despatches

Military Cross

Once wounded

Flight Lieut, RAF Retired

Died on 26 Dec 1934

Sources:

Dover College Register, 1871 to 1924

Dover College Register, October 1871-July 1917

Dover College War Services, Roll of Honour, and Honours and Awards 1914-1918

I wonder if anyone could help.

I have come across mention in the Whitehaven News and Westmoreland Gazette that Lt Harold Beecroft Beaumont of the Border regiment is mentioned in the roll of honour and the record of Old St. Beghians 1914-1919 compiled by JW Aldous. Our village is trying to put together a list of the men of the village who served in World War 1 and we believe that Harold Beecroft Beaumont attended St Bees School. If anyone has a copy of the roll of honour or the record and could look up the record we'd be very pleased to hear.

Many thanks in advance

Alan

From The Roll of Honour and the Record of Old St. Beghians Who Served Their King and Country 1914-1919:

BEAUMONT, H. B. Attended St Bees from 1910 to 1915. Lt 5th Border Regiment. France and Belgium. Prisoner of War. Mentioned in Despatches. Member of the Old St. Beghians' Club.

From List of British Officers Taken Prisoner in the Various Theatres of War between August 1914 and November 1918:

Lieut. H B Beaumont, 66th Battalion, Machine Gun Corps, taken Prisoner of War on 21 March 1918; repatriated on 18 December 1918.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dear Dick

Many thanks for the speedy response. This is excellent information that allows us to identify which of the HB Beaumonts is the one from the village and opens up a new avenue of research with the POW news.

Regards

Alan

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Dick

Back yet again in the hope you have the register for the King's School Ely and anything it might contain for Arthur Hilliard William Temple Suffolk Regiment KIA 14.12.1914 who I reckon arrived there in January 1889 (I think). I have quite a lot on him but not this piece of his education

Many thanks John

• 3 weeks later...

John wrote: "the King's School Ely and anything it might contain for Arthur Hilliard William Temple Suffolk Regiment KIA 14.12.1914"

From the Register of the King's School, Ely 1853-1932:

Captain Arthur Hilliard Williams Temple (note that it shows an 's' on the name 'Williams'

Born 12 January 1875

Educated at King's School, Ely from September 1888 to July 1891 (King's Scholar)

Served in South African War as a Lieut, 12th Bn, Suffolk Regiment, 1899

Served in Great War as Capt, 12th Bn, Suffolk Regiment

Killed in action 14 December 1914

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick

Sorry to trouble you quite so soon but would you mind looking for Richard Francis Gatehouse at Charterhouse. He was there in 1891 aged 15 in the census so I would guess he arrived the circa 1889. He was killed in September 1914 with the 1st NF

Thanks again

John  

Hambro wrote: "looking for Richard Francis Gatehouse at Charterhouse?"

From the Charterhouse Register 1872-1931.

Captain Richard Francis Gatehouse

Born 2 Sep 1875, the fourth son of George Gatehouse of Chichester

At Charterhouse from Oration Quarter 1888 to Summer 1892

West Riding Regiment, 1897

5th (Northumberland) Fusiliers, 1901

Served South African War 1899-1901 (mentioned in despatches)

Captain, 1901

Served in Great War and killed in battle of the Aisne on 14 Sept 1914.

In 1913 married, Evelyn May, only daughter of Charles Henry Gardom of Tadworth.

Regards, Dick Flory

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dick,

Do you have anything on Westminster City School? Looking for details of Second Lieutenant Reginald Frank Higgs, 1st Queen's, killed in action 22nd September 1918.

Many thanks,

Andy

Andy:  Unfortunately nothing on Westminster City School. I just have Westminster School, London. 

Thanks for checking Dick, and for the heads up on the school's project Charlie. Much appreciated.

Andy

Dick

For your information I have some names from the two schools in our town that you may want to take note of for your records and research. They are listed also on my site - http://bloxwichteam.wix.com/bloxwich-remembers

The schools are Bloxwich's National School, and Elmore Green School.

There is not a memorial at the National School, now call All Saints' Accadamy, the names are taken from trawling through old copies of the Parish Magazine and are therefore incomplete.

Elmore Green has a memorial and the names for this are taken from the book detailing those, and others, on the memorial called - "Sorrow into Pride"by Ken Wayman & Barry Crutchley, published by Reveille Press in Great Britain 2012 ISBN 978-1-908336-44-6

If you come across any  names from either of these schools, or indeed any from Bloxwich, Blakenall or Leamore I would be grateful if you can pass them on to me so I can get them recorded.  WW1 names I link to the Imperial War Museum's site https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/.

Any info from the forum that I add is referenced to the forum.

Best wishes

George

Guest Vanillapodtoo
On 4/19/2009 at 19:28, rflory said:

Dean wrote:

Lieut. Graham Johns, Scots Guards

Born on 21 October 1897; the son of Cosmo Johns, Esq., CE of Burngrove, Pittsmoor Road, Sheffield

Educated at Loretto School from Sept. 1910 t o April 1912; at Cheltenham College from May 1912 to December 1915 (Gym VIII; Football XV);

2nd Lieut., Scots Guards (once wounded)

KIA near Cambrai, France on 28 Sept 1918

He is not listed in The War List of the University of Cambridge so it very likely he was admitted there but never attended, especially as he did not leave Cheltenham College until December 1915.

Unfortunately there is no photo.

Sources: The Loretto Register 1825 to 1948; Cheltenham College Register 1841-1927.

I'm researching my family history. Graham Johns is my Great Uncle, I have a photo of him somewhere once I find it I will upload it.

• 1 month later...

bloxwichteam: Thank you for the information on the school website.  I will keep an eye out for anyone from the two schools.  Dick Fllory