Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British school registers and rolls of honor

rflory

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:26, rflory said:

ASA1: Below is what I have about HAB Donkin

Private Harold Arthur Bryan Donkin

Born on 6 October 1897 the  only son of the Reverend Arthur Donkin, of Semer Rectory, Ipswich and Julia Honoria Donkin

Entered Rugby School in 1911 and left in 1915

Went to RMC, Sandhurst after leaving Rugby 

In October 1916 he enlisted as an other rank 

Served with the 1st Bn, The Queen's

Died of broncho-pheumonia at a Casualty Clearing Station in northern France on 22 December 1916 at age 19

The photo is from the first-listed reference.

Sources:

Memorials of Rugbeians Who Fell in the Great War, Volume VII

Rugby School Register Annotated 1892-1921

Donkin.jpg

Harold Donkin's father was Arthur Donkin, a master at Rugby SChool from 1875 until 1920, and for many years the Housemaster of the house now known as Bradley. Here's a photo of him during that time:

Donkin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dick.

I was wondering if you might know any more than below regarding this officer please?

I believe he  joined, 122nd Heavy Battery on the 17 April 1917

best wishes

Alan

KIRWAN, Geoffrey Dugdale 
  Captain (Royal Garrison Artillery)
  Survived the war 
  Awards: Military Cross, Croix de Guerre, Order of the Bath, Order of St Michael and St George 

And MID?

Geoffrey Dugdale Kirwan, son of the High School's Headmaster, George Richard Kirwan, and his wife, Elizabeth Josephine Kirwan, joined the school at the age of 7, having previous been taught at home.

His academic achievements led him to being offered scholarships at both Uppingham and Repton schools. He took the offer at Repton, and attended from Sep-1911. He was later awarded a scholarship to Rugby school.

He entered the war with the Royal Garrison Artillery as 2nd Lieutenant, serving in France, and was promoted to Lieutenant in 1917. He was awarded both the Military Cross and the Croix de Guerre.

On 16-Apr-1918 he transferred to the RGA Special Reserves, and was promoted to temporary Captain, which was formally confirmed on 1-Apr-1920 when he relinquished his commission.

After the war he attended University College, Oxford and went on to a career with the government. He was Assistant Secretary to the Royal Commission on Police Powers and Procedure in 1928, and worked in the Ministry of Home Security from 1939 to 1945.

He continued to work in government offices as Under-Secretary of State in the Foreign Office, and later as Comptroller General with the National Debt Office.

He was awarded the Companion of the Order of the Bath, and in 1954, Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George.

He retired from public service 30-Nov-1961 and became Vice-President of the Trustees Savings Bank.

He was the instigator of the Kirwan Prize at the High School, which continued into the 1960s.

Geoffrey died on 11-Nov-1970 in Bridge, in Kent

from: http://www.boyshighschool.co.uk/thepast/wartime/ww1/info/kirwan_gd.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Alan:  Below is what I have on George Dugdale Kirwan beyond what you have:

Born 17 Oct 96

At Repton School from Sep 1911 to Jul 1915 (played on XI, 1915)

In 1915 Cadet, Officer Cadet School, Trowbridge, 1915

2nd Lieut. RGA SR in Jul 1915

Went to France with 122nd Heavy Battery on 22 Nov 15 and served with it until Feb 1917

From Feb 1917 to Apr 1917 was Orderly Officer, 2nd Heavy Artillery Group, RGA

Returned to 122nd Heavy Battery in April 1917 and served with it until Aug 1917

Lieut., RGA SR in Jul 1917

Served at HQ, 5th Army from Aug 1917 to April 1918

From April 1918 to Dec 1918 was Staff Capt 

Demobilized in March 1919

Student, University College, Oxford in 1919

Sept 1919 appointed to 1st Division, The Home Office

Posted to Toynbee Hall, The Home Office

Asst. Under Secy. of State, Home Office in 1945

In 1947 appointed Asst. Under Secy. of State, Foreign Office

Became Comptroller General, National Debt Office

Sources:

Old Reptonian War Register 1914-1919

Repton School Register 1922

Repton School Register 1933

Repton School Register 1957

Oxford University Roll of Service, 1920

War Diary of 2nd Heavy Artillery Group from February 1917 to November 1918

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick, that's marvellous!

It is particularly interesting to see that after Geoffrey Kirwan's initial time with 122nd he then later returned to remain with them for a considerable time and that his staff jobs seem (for periods anyway!) to have been with the higher formations in which the 122nd served.

And, he died in Bridge, Kent, which is about five miles from where I am now typing - a bit of local research seems required!

Thank you very much indeed!

best wishes

Alan

PS Dick, and sorry to add to the request!

Do you have a record of Kirwan's citation for the award of a Military Cross?

Alan

1 hour ago, ALANJONES said:

Do you have a record of Kirwan's citation for the award of a Military Cross?

Looks like it was a 1918 King's Birthday honour, so probably for being a good egg all round rather than for a specific act of valour.

Alan:  As 'IPT' has indicated the MC was gazetted on 3 Jun 18 which is a Birthday Honour and therefore has no citation.

Regards, Dick Flory

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Dick,

Please can you have a look at the Fettes College records for 2nd Lt

REX De HOCHEPIED MARILLIER MILLER

:-

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/324328/miller,-rex-de-hochepied-marillier/

His brother Keeneth also attended Fettes. Three other brothers attended Glenalmond and I'd seen their Registry entires.

Great thanks in advance.

Tim

From The Fettes College Register 1870-1932 and 1870-1970:

MILLER, Reginald De Hochepied Marillier

Born in 1899; son of C M Miller of Bramerton, North Berwick (Va Mods)

At Fettes College (Open School) from 1914 to July 1917

During the Great War was 2nd Lieut., 3rd Royal Welch Fusiliers in France

Died of wounds received near Vendegies au Bois on 27 October 1918

MILLER, Kenneth Marillier

Born March 1901

Son of C M Miller of Bramerton, North Berwick (Va Mods) 

Educated at Fettes College from 1914 to July 1918

In 1970 he was living at 3 Cluny Villas, Jordanhill, Glasgow W4

A.M.I.Mech E

Editor of The Yachting World

Managing Director of Gleniffer Engines, Ltd

Retired 

Hello Dick

Could you please have a look to see if you can find anything regarding Donald Rigg Curwen and his twin brother John Spedding Curwen who were both at Sedbergh School from 1905-1909. They both served with the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment in the Great War. Many thanks

Regards

Ron

Ron:  Sorry about not replying earlier.  For some reason the GWF no longer notifies me of replies to this topic so I have to remember to check it regularly.

From the Sedbergh School Register 1875-1928:

Donald Rigg Curwen:

Born 27 Jun 91, son of J F Curwen

At Sedbergh School from 1905 to Apr 1909

Capt Loyal N Lancs Regt.

Served abroad

Address in1928: Horncop, Heversham, Westmorland

John Spending Curwen:

Born 27 Jun 91, son of J F Curwen

At Sedbergh School from 1905 to Apr 1909

Capt Loyal N Lancs Regt.

Wounded in France in 1915

Served in Russia, 1919

OBE, O of St Anne with crossed swords and bow

Mentioned in Despatches

Married

Address in 1928: Beck House, Windermere

There was a third brother: 

Alan D'Arcy Curwen:

Born 22 Aug 1889, son of J F Curwen

At Sedbergh School from 1903 until his death

Died 6 Jan 06

From: Handbook of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, 1921:

Curwen, Capt. John Spending:

War Work:  France 1915 (1st Loyal Lancs Regt.); N. Russia 1919 (British Relief Force); awarded the Russian Order of St. Anne, 3rd Class with Swords and Bow, mentioned in 

Despatches for Allied Services with the Archangel Force, N. Russia.

OBE (Military), London Gazette of 11 Nov 1919

His Order of St. Anne, 3rd Class with Swords was awarded in War Office Confidential Letter No. 0137/6178

Regards, Dick Flory

Hello Dick

Thank you very much for your help, it is much appreciated. There does seem to be a problem with GWF notifications in recent months. Thanks again for all your help over the years.

Regards

Ron

• 1 month later...
On 22/03/2009 at 00:28, Moriaty said:

Hello Dick

I dont know whether there is such a thing as a Roll of Honour or Memorial book for Rossall School for the 297 Rossallians killed in the Great War?

If so, I have a former Rossallian who appears in the Rossall Register and would be most grateful for a look up:

Percy Francis Gethin, born 25 July 1874

Entrance Rossall 3rd term 1889, Hain, M 1891

Holywell, Sligo

He was an artist and joined up as private in the 28th Londons Artists Rifles, number 2976. From 1915 he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the 3rd Battalion Devonshires, attached to the 8th Battalion. KIA 28 June 1916 aged 42, buried in Devonshire Cemetery.

Any information would be most welcome. Thanks

Moriaty

PS he was also a student at the Royal College of Art, he taught at Plymouth School of Art and at Liverpool City School of Art. I dont know whether Art Schools had Rolls of Honour or Memorial volumes?

Hi

Not sure if you are picking up from this old threat. But here is a link to a project I began a few years back and recetnly completed:

http://remembrance.rca.ac.uk/

Am afraid the memorial concerned does not mention Gethin directly - as you will see I added two names not on the plaque that I discovered in the course of research. This was largely based on a register in the RCA Archive - it could be that Gethin studied prior to the setting up of this or even before 1896 and the new name of Royal College of Art came in to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ClearBell

Thanks for this post about Percy Francis Gethin, my grandmother's first cousin.  My research indicates:

He left Rossall in 1891 and begged his parents to be allowed to follow art studies, they eventually agreed. In 1893 eighteen year old Percy went to London, he studied for a short time at the Royal College of Art in South Kensington.  It was there he met Fred Burridge who was to be his life long friend and an executor of his will.  He then studied under William Mouat Loudan at the Royal Architectural Museum in Westminster.  He then went to Paris and the Atelier Colarossi before returning again to London.  He enlisted in the Artists' Rifles on 19 November 1914 aged 40.

His friend Burridge was Frederick Vango Burridge, 1869-1945, an etcher who had been at the South Kensington School (now the Royal College of Art) and took over the Liverpool Institute School of Art in 1896. Burridge took over the Central School of Arts and Crafts, London, from Lethaby in 1913. This was later the London County Council Central School of Arts and Crafts, Southampton Row, WC1.  Percy taught Life and Composition at  Burridge's Liverpool School from 1905 until 1913 and then taught at the Central School of Arts and Crafts until the outbreak of war.

It looks as if Percy may have only studied at the RCA for a short period and therefore possibly not on the register.

Moriaty

• 4 weeks later...

Dick,

Wonder if you can give me a little more information on Norman Middlebrook, left Repton Xmas 1914, was in the schools O.T.C.. Joined the Rifle Brigade (6th) 28/1/15, transferred to the R.F.C. and taken POW near Bapaume 10/16 flying a De Haviland Scout with 24 Squadron.

Many thanks

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Lieut. Norman Middlebrook

Born 8 Aug 97, the son of E H Middlebrook, The Larches, Ilkley

Educated at Repton School from Sept. 1911 to Dec 1914

Commissioned 2nd Lieut, SR, 6th Bn, Rifle Bde in Jan 1915

Seconded to RFC as Pilot on Jul 16

Promoted Lieut, Rifle Bde on Jul 17

Served in France from Sept 1916 to Oct 1916

Flew AMC DH.2 no. A2540 with 24 Squadron, RFC

Shot down by Max Ritter von Muller on 10 October 1916 and captured

Prisoner of War on 11 Oct 16

Repatriated 18 Dec 18

Demobilized in Dec 1918

After the war employed as a motor engineer in Scarborough

In 1922 lived at 75 Norwood Street, Scarborough

Sources:

Repton School Register 1922

Old Reptonian War Register 1914-1919

List of British Officers Taken Prisoner in the Various Theaters of War between August 1914 and November 1918

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v3ED049C7/www/products/model_kitsets/32606/online_instructions/7132606 AMC DH.2 'Lanoe Hawker' Instructions.pdf

Edited by rflory

Many thanks Dick. Most definitely Long and distinguished service.

Andy

Thank you  for your kind words.  As I just turned 80 last week I hope I will be able to do this for another 15 years!!

Dear Dick,

Eighty? It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Kindest regards,

Kim.