Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Badge

Guest KevinEndon

And, second, please re-read the sentence I wrote after the one you quote.

Sorry, John, I was trying to be polite as I didn't first of all notice your earlier post. I thought you wanted to do it but got frustrated. Don't understand the issue with those who don't want one - it won't be compulsory!

:)

Norrette

me thinks we have run out of steam/impetus again....

should we give it up?

Was good while it lasted..!

Ivan

me thinks we have run out of steam/impetus again....

should we give it up?

Was good while it lasted..!

Ivan

No, no, no! We have to discuss it for weeks yet before we give up :P

No, no, no! We have to discuss it for weeks yet before we give up :P

:D:D

Yeah..let's go for the record. Then we can give up. I think it was over 3 months last time - and that was without badgers.

Ok,

Yes, it's my design but that's not really important. What is the point is that hopefully it appeals to everyone and conjours up the image that we think best represents the forum.

To explain how it came about....

Initially I designed a badge which included the silhouete of a British soldier on a poppy however it was rightfully pointed out that this did not encompass the wide range of nationalities represented on this forum. Therefore I set about to design something that evoked an international representation of how the Great War is remembered and as you can see there is no specific country defined by this badge.

The brown area represents the mud of the Western Front, the white dividing line from one side of the badge to the other represents the unending trench system, the wire of course stands in front of the trench and in the background is the night sky with flares. Although it has been suggested that the searchlights evoke a feeling of WW2, they did exist in WW1 as well and I used them to represent the growth of air warfare. I didn't use the outline of a plane as it makes the whole thing a bit too detailed and I wanted it to remain somewhat abstract.

Please feel free to criticise or offer suggestions for improvement.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Sorry, Tim, but seamen still left out.

I think "Great War Forum and www.1914-1918.net" is best.

Kath.

timl

middle one looks fine to me.

mandy

err no ,here we go round round like a record baby

norrette

im with you all the way

jh

ok lets start a committee and end up with another dead duck.

I fully understand that chris has the final say,but people loads of members think its a good idea ,for an instance lots of us will be in ieper in april,unless by some strange bit of luck,we will miss each other again.

why oh why cant we have a final "last orders"on badge designs,time limit mr bakers choice

,then vote no recount no nothing

then "just do it"

yes I am prepared to put my money where my mouth is,£300"want it back mind,or you will be like them other men who got what they got early in the morning" goes into the hat chris,send me details of who and where.im the one that raised the topic.again

as a fellow member said,if you do not want one fine if you do "do it"

to be honest this is going round and round and will probably end up where the monkey sticks its nuts,(no its not a new design by the way)

chris I drove thro lemington today on the way to warwick,now if you saw me with a badge !!! nuffs head

here endeth the lesson

Oh no, not the badge thread again!

I'll check this thread again in six months, after numerous good suggestions have been put forward and just before it fades away, again.

It's easier to say now, "no thanks, not interested", than to get my hopes up that there might ever be one.

Sorry, but been there and didn't get the t-shirt either.

Hi

Know what you say..but I did get the T-Shirt.... ;)

Can't anyone just take the inititave to produce a simple badge?

Finish the talk, just do it......reminds me of the Full Metal Jacket film..."You can talk the talk...but can ya walk the walk?"

We have a design, lets go for it. I will buy one!

Next.....

Otherwise I will stick to the WFA badge and then when I tell people they will recognise me!

Cheers

Marc.

Middle one. Brilliant. I would be happy with that. If the production technique makes it difficult to get all the text on (which I think might be the case if it is made in enamel) then drop the www.1914-1918.net. So, who is going to get it made and how is the order taking, money and despatching going to be handled?

Some offers regarding the intial set up costs and manufacture, sales and distribution already made on this thread. I'll make a contribution towards the intial costs if required.

Some offers regarding the intial set up costs and manufacture, sales and distribution already made on this thread. I'll make a contribution towards the intial costs if required.

Thank goodness for that. I'll also make a returnable contribution if necessary.

I think the first template and sample set (which they send out via a web request) should go to Chris so he can judge the quality?

Tim's righthand one, IMO.

Easier to see what it is from a distance.

Also eminently suitable for being produced as one of those "cheap as chips" pin-on "button badges". I don't think enamel badge lend themselves to the fairly intricate design on any of the versions.

John

The middle one for me, and I also agree with John's proposal for the cheaper type of badge — so that Pals can buy several (for the hat, coat, camera bag, etc). One quibble about the design — the barbed wire seems to be ordinary agricultural wire rather than 'war wire'.

Mick

Right hand one OK, nice & simple BUT how about making the wire into WAVES for the Navy types?

Then it'll be blue for sky, then waves for the sea and finally brown for land war.

I really want the badge now...

Are we nearly there yet?

Not that keen on a cheap badge, might as well print it out on card & pin it on in a plastic holder?

From google, here's another supplier who might be able to do the detail by Photo-etching (whatever that means)

http://www.simoney.co.uk/htdocs/web-content/enamels.html

These'll be about 55 - 65p plus vat and delivery

I would prefer the hard enamel type of badge 25mm dia.

John

so ok where do we go from here?.

chris wouldnt it be a good idea if you sent for some samples,so you could judge quality,lots of us are willing to do the logistics,money in the hat

the following link looks ok,

http://www.simoney.co.uk/htdocs/web-content/enamels.html

we all agree its your site you have final say,just lets finally deside on design,whether it be with "search lights,wiggly line or what ever,

we must start with an agreed design,hence my previous e mail

re desgn

vote

agree

do it

biffo badgeless

yippee..we may just be there, now Chris likes the design.

I for one much prefer the enamel one like the WFA type which is pictured in an earlier post.

Quality Forum--Quality Badge!!

Lets not let this impetus slip now..

a relieved- Ivan

Echo last...lets keep momentum moving. Would be willing to help fund initial production costs. The more of us who volunteer this practical help the lower each has to put up front. I prefere the more costly quality version. Having knowledge of prices for limited badge runs I feel the individual cost per badge would be £4 or thereabouts. Build in a slight profit to help fund the Forum!

TT

And could we have some kind of flashing banner at the top of the main forum page when they are available!

I never think to look at the "War Art" section normally; it was only seeing this subject as the last one mentioned that caught my eye yesterday...

Angela

Everything's gone quiet again.

I had decided that I wasn't going to do any more designing and nor was I going to enter into any bickering over 'which badge looks better' etc etc, that seemed to stymie the last effort to get a badge off the ground.

I thought to myself "since the topic's been brought up again, I'll post my design for those new pals to see and then leave it to everyone else"................BUT.....

......some pals had to politely mention that the navy wasn't represented, and then the wire seemed wrong and searchlights didn't evoke a WW1 feel. So, before I knew it I was back at the drawing board re-doing the design and trying to accomodate everyone........AGAIN!

Here's the last and absolutely final effort I'm going to produce. (at least until this thread dies and the topic resurfaces in 12 months time :lol: )

This one is based on the same theme with the mud of the western front in the lower portion. The representation of wire is now just the diminishing straight white lines, the top strand of which includes waves to represent the war at sea. Directly above this is the outline of a destroyed building to represent the destruction of society and then above this the three white lines portray the idea of a triplane (war in the air). Finally, the flare on the right is self explanatory.

Good luck with your decision making and see you in 12 months.

Cheers,

Tim L.

post-2918-1171899789.jpg

Very pretty, Tim.

Not as strikingly simple as the small previously "final" design you did last time. But very pretty, mate. :D

And a most poetic description of the representations. You're in the wrong job. :ph34r:

I liked the other one. (The middle of the three.) It was simple but distinctive and striking.

It's impossible to include everything in such a small space - you will only have somebody else coming along and pointing out something else that isn't represented. Nurses, for example. I say keep it simple.

:)