Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Bocking

Anthony Bagshaw

Intersting Anthony. And now, I am not giving up either..... I have revisited the army deaths for dockin(g) NIL.

Think i will look at the GRO deaths overseas next. Will keep on. No wonder I have a (Bull) terrier as a dog.......

On one of your postings I remember that you had put a picture up from a roll call....Leonard was under another name (which completely escapes my memory) who was listed as being with the Sherwood Forresters. Would that mean that Leonard was also in that Regiment.(as I seem to remember no regiment by the side of Leonard's name)

Is there anyone on the forum with a special interest in the Sherwood's... just another avenue (you have probably gone up them all already).

Off on another quest.

Susan.

Ref Susans post no 108 I have checked Freebmd site and blown it up 10 fold the name is BOCKING with a G it is a very faint one but just visible his age is 39 and the ref I B 354 the same as and the initial are S M. Any use.? Ralph.

Is there anyone on the forum with a special interest in the Sherwood's... just another avenue (you have probably gone up them all already).

Anthony's one of 'em!

In addition, he's sat round a table with several other experienced researchers and SF enthusiasts, including the esteemed Mike Briggs and Stebie 'the Gazette Lord'.

Mind you, we weren't very helpful. Having explored many avenues all we did was take the michael and laugh at him. :P

:o Oh gawd.... as elusive as robin hood.

Poor Anthony is going to end up going bonkers.

Ralph: Myrtle kindly clarified that this chap was a grocer (if I remember correctly) in London.

We will all go round the proverbial.

Just got to find out more about this chap. Off I go again.

Anthony's one of 'em!

In addition, he's sat round a table with several other experienced researchers and SF enthusiasts, including the esteemed Mike Briggs and Stebie 'the Gazette Lord'.

Mind you, we weren't very helpful. Having explored many avenues all we did was take the michael and laugh at him

I try to be one of 'em, don't really do a good job though!! :lol:

I get used to being laughed at, being from Mansfield/Notts sat with 2 Derbyshire lads round the table, one a Dr from Chesterfield one a Forest fan, oh and a Peterbrough Utd fan!

Same at home, all the family are from deepest darkest Derbyshire too!

Susan,

I'm sorry!! ;) I fear i have gotten you into something you will never get out of! :lol:

I get used to being laughed at, being from Mansfield/Notts sat with 2 Derbyshire lads round the table, one a Dr from Chesterfield one a Forest fan, oh and a Peterbrough Utd fan! sorry, chopped your quote name off.........

I suppose they have to laugh at something. !!!! Not much else to laugh about.

As for me. Driving me bonkers, but will hang on in there.

By the way, looked at consular deaths, marine deaths all blasted deaths up to 1923.

Also found migration to south africa for G Bockin 1905 and a miss bockin 1911......... gets even more curious...... (did see Andrew's contribution to a sherwood foresters site - very nice it was too)

still smiling and having fun..... ha ha..... stir crazy more like.

Some good news,

Bottesford history have come back to me, there are some Bockin family graves in the village, they will see what they can find and come back to me. Maybe, just maybe he is listed on a family memorial.

They are also going to ask about for me to see if anyone remembers the Bockins

Who knows, something good might come up, fingers, toes and everything else crossed!!

Mainly Eyes ? :wacko:

Steve.

:lol::lol:

Defo :rolleyes:

If, or should that be when, this gets solved, how will fill your days Anthony?

[ when, this gets solved, how will fill your days Anthony?

I'll be contracting out finding Thomas Ladley to him. Just so he can keep his hand in.

J

If, or should that be when, this gets solved, how will fill your days Anthony?

:lol:

Might have to take up watching Mansfield Town regularly, just as frustrating!! B)

I'm really not that bad though, honest :huh: am i??

John,

Thanks for the thought, but i'll pass, cheers anyway.

Give it to Susan instead!!

The nice man in the white coat said Anthony would be allowed the crayons again once he has solved this one....

Steve.

Just as an example of some of the inconsistencies that can occur... I happened to come across the case of Charles Thomas Slaughter of the Royal Defence Corps, whose name appears on the Arundel War Memorial (see http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Sussex/Arundel.html) and who is also listed on CWGC.

The notes on the Arundel War Memorial site show that Charles died at home on 16th May 1917, the same date as shown on CWGC.

However, the death is NOT shown as an Army Death, either as an officer or other ranks, but IS shown as a civil registration in the June quarter of 1917. Charles Thomas Slaughter was aged 60 according to the civil registration. There being no Army Death, it is interesting that CWGC consideres that Charles should be listed as "Commonwealth War Dead." Prima facie it seems to me that the decision might easily have gone the other way.

Obviously the circumstances of Leonard Bocking a different from Charles Thomas Slaughter, because in the former case we have no death registration at all - well, at least not in England/Wales. But to me, this case illustrates how somewhat similar circumstances could see Leonard's name appearing on the War Memorial but there being no army death registration. I agree that the probability is small, but a death in the Isle of Man, or in the Channel Islands, could give rise to the Bocking circumstances as they are at the moment.

Noel

Stumbled across this useless / useful piece of information whilst STILL looking for any leads to Leonard.

Bocking_wall_memorial_text.doc

Perhaps if someone goes regularly past Liverpool Street they would go downstairs and see if L Bocking appears on the memorial............ of the Great Eastern Hotel.....

I even woke up thinking..... perhaps his name was L B O C KING..........

I need certifying........

and yes, WHEN he is found we can all use the time to look for John's chap.......

:rolleyes:

edit: 5.25pm.....

just a bit more

and

post-8059-1185380774.jpg

if only ..................................

The nice man in the white coat said Anthony would be allowed the crayons again once he has solved this one....

:lol:

Oh yes, my Crayola wax crayons!! Almost forgot, cheers Steve!!

Susan,

I'm afraid, i really am :P

We will have no cowards in these ranks.......

Get a grip - if you can move your arms from the straight-jacket......

Seriously, we can only hope. Still awaiting Railway employees who died in Great War. Maybe, just maybe I will find something in there. I will scan every name.

If that draws a blank - going back to findmypast site to look at deaths at a later date, especially in view of Noel's interesting post.

Had an email from someone i contacted who has a whole database of Bockin(g)s - Nothing forthcoming from her.

BFN

Susan.

Here's his name in the Nottingham Archives Docs:

Anthony, a question. There's no unit against Leonard's name in the document you posted. How unusual is this? Were there many names without a unit, or is he the only one?

And (in case I've missed something) have you got any of the certificates yet, to confirm that he was married to Sarah Ann Clarke, and not the other lady? Because if the marriage of Sarah Bockin/William Collins is definitely that of Leonard's widow, then you have a definite cut-off date for Leonard's death. (Discounting the slight possibility of a divorce*; but the latter certificate would show if she was a widow anyway.)

(*I found a statistic that says the divorce rate was 600 p.a. in the period 1900-1913, and rose to a peak figure of about 3,500 in 1921.)

Greyhound,

He is the only one i had come across like that. The thought never crossed my mind and see what you are saying, interesting.

I haven't ordered any of the certificates yet, am going to wait for a while and then get them. Sarah's marriage to William Collins certificate will be interesting i think?

Will have to get them really i suppose

Will have to get them really i suppose

Anthony

No doubt about it mate. There's some speculation above that needs clearing up - one way or t'other. You need the answers that they'll give you if you're to move forward on this, I reckon.

Jim

OK,

Could someone clarify for me. I NEED to order the certificates, can someone clarify which ones i need so that i don't order them wrong please?

Sorry to be a dunce but have never ordered them before and want to make sure i get it right!

Anthony,

I would take Noel's advice in post 86.

Just to recap, the certificate that I recommended was the birth of Leonard's daughter Ethel Bockin, born in 1908. This is the closest one that we know about to the First World War.

I have checked the image of the original birth index, and the reference is as follows:

Birth registration, 1908, June quarter, BOCKIN, Ethel, Mansfield registration district, volume 7b, page 76. This is all the information you need to order the certificate on-line from the GRO.

Anthony, there is no point in ordering the certificate for the remarriage of Leonard's widow Sarah Ann(e) Bockin(g). It will simply give her marital status as widow. There will be no reference to her former husband at all. The only use to which you can put the remarriage is that you know that Leonard was dead before it occurred. So you do not need to search for his death beyond that date (December 1919).

In any case, it costs no more to order certificates one by one than in multiples. Believe me, as a family historian I have ordered scores of these things on-line, and the cautionary approach means that I have had only one "miss" - that is only once have I ordered a certificate that turned out not to be the "right" one.

If you want advice on how to order on-line, send me a PM.

The GRO web-site is http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/home.asp

While I've got your attention Anthony, there are a couple of threads running about the way that names were actually submitted for inclusion on War Memorials. They are worth reading - if you haven't done so already. By all accounts the procedure was rather hit-and-miss, and the criteria for inclusion were not necessarily consistent between memorials. What seems to have occurred was that in each town/village/parish etc. a committee of the local council was set up to manage the establishment of the memorial. You might find it worth checking whether there are any archives for Mansfield council to see whether minutes or other papers have survived.

By the way, I have also checked for a death in Scotland via "Scotland's People" and his death was not recorded there either.

Noel

Noel,

Once again many thanks for your excellent input, watch this space then..............................