Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Bagshaw

Leonard Bocking

John_Hartley
How did you manage to identify him just out of curiosity?

Can't claim the credit on that one. He was on one of Stockport's memorials that had already been "done" in the 1990s for the book "Hazel Grove to Armageddon". The original researcher, John Eaton, had found a brief item in the locla newspaper reporting his death.

John

Anthony Bagshaw

Thanks John,

Shame i can't find any mention of Leoard Bockin in my local papers, would make this so much easier!!

Cheers again John

Anthony Bagshaw

Susan,

A public thanks for the certificates, brilliant, thank you

Greyhound

Anthony - have you thought any further re funeral firms, or is that a non-starter?

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi Grace,

No not yet, have been a little pre-occupied lately.

Will have to give it some thought, haven't been able to for some time. Will look into it though.

Cheers

Greyhound

Of course it's a real long shot again, but you never know. A look at the Yellow Pages or similar, and a quick phone call to any candidates would establish if there's any mileage in it.

(We're all getting as bad as you, aren't we!)

:rolleyes:

Anthony Bagshaw
We're all getting as bad as you, aren't we!)

:lol::lol:

Yep!!

Andrew Hesketh

Watching this thread is like following your favourite TV soap. :D

Myrtle

Andy

As you are watching this thread I will just let you know that I have sent you an email as your pm box is full.

Myrtle :)

Andrew Hesketh

Ooops. (Again! Sorry.) :unsure:

Myrtle
Ooops. (Again! Sorry.) :unsure:

No need to apologise for being popular :)

Anthony Bagshaw

Well,

3 weeks later, still no joy.

I do think that it is safe to assume that he was not in the forces and did possibly die in the mine.

Who knows? I know i don't!!

susanhemmings

Phew -

Anthony. Re the mining theory. Looking at the Durham Miners Site I see that whenever over 15 died their names are mentioned (and scrutinised but with no joy).

There are two other disasters I can see in the Ntts area in the 1900s.

see attached.

One had 14 died in Feb 1913

the other had 10 died in June 1915.....

worth a shot if only we could find the newspaper article. Will try the Times online as this seems to be the paper mentioned in those that you can get access to..... Ooooooo Leonard where are you......

MINING_DISASTER_AT_RUFFORD_7.2.13_AND_BENTINCK_30.6.15.doc

ps tried but think its a subscription service. will look at this later BUT I did look at one article completely unrelated and it mentioned

(copied and pasted below).....

14th August 1916

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colliery Explosions

Twelve Men Killed

Twelve men lost their lives by a colliery explosion in Northumberland yesterday morning and a boy is missing. They formed the whole number of a working party which descended the Ashington Colliery to make a connexion from the main seam to another seam. After about an hour other workers in the pit heard an explosion and, hurrying to the spot, found that 10 of the 13 men had been killed. Two others were alive but unconscious. They were hauled up to bank as quickly as possible but died soon afterwards.

The names of the men who lost their lives are :—

George R. Hudson, aged 34 ; Dan Harrison ; Joseph Hodgson, 35 ; Ralph Howard, 34 ; George Marshall, 43 ; Thomas Armstrong, 43 ; Robert Hindmarsh, 66 ; Edward Walton ; Walter Hughes ; and George Blair, 41 — all married ; Joseph Harrolace, 20, and John Catterson, 21 — single.

Hughes was a soldier who had been discharged from the Army in order that he might resume work in the mine.

The cause of the explosion is not known, but it is thought to be due to an accumulation of gas which had gathered during the week-end when the pit was idle.

So there may yet be hope........

Anthony Bagshaw

Susan,

Thank you yet again for your continued interest in this!!

I may have stumbled across something interesting. I have recently found the absent voters list for MW, i was told there wasn't one!!, he may be on there, off to the library Saturday, we shall see

stevem49

Ref miners not joining up in WW1 - Half of the 9th bn were miners so I doubt a 'Bevan Boys' scheme would have been in place in WW1.

Nearly got him Anthony :wacko:

sm

(I still prefer The Archers though!)

Michael Johnson

He's not a Canadian (at least not in the CEF).

susanhemmings

Finges crossed for Saturday then Anthony.

Would you by chance be able to get access to local Newspapers of 1913 1915 to see if he is mentioned in one of those pit disasters?

May the force be with you........................or whatever it is that will help!

Anthony Bagshaw

Steve,

Ta mate, it's driving me barmy, but it's getting nearer!

Michael,

Thanks for the confirmation mate

Susan,

Not too sure what time i will have to be honest, but, if i get time i shall be looking!

Cheers all

Anthony Bagshaw

I am going to the library tomorrow but unfortunately only have the time to look for the absent voters list, never mind.

I will go 'cos i NEED to go and find him!!!

Anthony Bagshaw

Well,

He aint on the absent voters!

That would have been too simple though!

Andrew Hesketh

What about the ordinary electoral rolls? If he's not on the absent list, he must have been either already dead or possibly at home at that time. (I still think he died out of uniform prior to Nov 1918 following a brief flirtation with the forces y'see.)

[incidentally, I don't suppose you noticed whether they have the AV list that covers Tibshelf? When I asked at Matlock Archives a few years ago they looked long and hard at me, blinked, and said they didn't know what such a thing was. Following what looked like a cursory check to placate me they said they hadn't got it.]

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi Andy,

To be honest i didn't notice if they did have. They had all of Mansfield District.

I have checked 1914 electoral rolls, nothing on there, will have to go back and check the rest i feel

susanhemmings

Hello Anthony, So very sorry you were not in luck.

Do you think any of the books on the attached may help at all. From Archive CD Books ltc. Will be happy to purchase if it will help.

(Arhive CD Books is CLOSING at the end of September and will no longer be available)...

have a look,see what you think. (I am not sure of the place names listed, although i cannot see Mansfield Woodhouse as one - would it still be in "Nottingham" boundary during this time (I know it was in 1901 but not sure if any boundary area shifted). Sorry that sounds awfully ignorant - just a thought as cannot understand Mansfiled not being mentioned (unless this concentrates only on the City - but does not seem so??)

The 1916 one may be too late if he was killed in one of the pit explosions we cannot get names for Rufford 1913 and Betinck 1915

DIRECTORIES_OF_NOTTINHAMSHIRE.doc

susan.

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi Susan,

Have had a quick look, they as you say. all appear to be for Nottingham city and don't appear to stretch to Mansfield.

Thanks, but sorry

nhclark

Anthony, I've still been following this from a distance. Basically what you have is that the man existed, you know when he was born, who his parents were, who he married, and roughly when he died (from his wife's remarriage). You know that his death is not registered in the E/W and Scottish civil registrations, nor on CWGC, and I checked GRO marine deaths on Monday and he's not there either. There's no medal card for him.

As far as I can see that leaves four civil registrations (Ireland, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey) plus many other overseas registration possibilities. The chances of him appearing in one of these would seem to be remote.

However, we also know that the committee in charge of the war memorial accepted his name for inclusion on the memorial. They were therefore satisfied that his death was due to the war. May I suggest that it is worth trying to find whether any records of the war memorial committee have survived?

We do know that there are some anomalies with memorials etc. I have given an example with Charles Thomas Slaughter and the Arundel War Memorial, there's one going on the GWF at the moment where a name (Vining?) appears on a memorial in France/Flanders but he actually died in a Glasgow Hospital, and no-one recorded the death of one of my soldiers who died in Portsea, Hamshire in 1856. So no system is perfect.

At this stage, I think that the most likely situation is that Leonard Bocking served and died (I accept his wife's remarriage as evidence of that) but under an alias.

I'd try the records of the memorial.

Noel